(Topic ID: 342356)

Why is everyone obsessed with the new Jaws?

By Nintegageo

8 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fetchimage (resized).jpeg
    SCAN0050 (resized).JPG
    AAB55C8B-B7EF-4C2C-9FF9-2449D30A2B55 (resized).jpeg
    EEB84B92-A926-4133-A8F6-02EA1BD88E88 (resized).jpeg
    20230820_082646 (resized).jpg
    a1ed9d9bdea52d177da01e6b7e32803c3b470122962397a6766b8a070bc12a7c_1 (resized).jpg
    Picard (resized).png
    PXL_20230903_210351844.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230903_210358511 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8338 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    licensed-image (resized).jpeg
    jabberjaw (resized).png
    There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
    #1 8 months ago

Everyone keeps saying they're done with NIBs, except Jaws.

Is the IP really that special? Why this one exception?

Not hating on the game or the excitement, I honestly just don't understand.

#3 8 months ago

Either that or go in the water.

Most choose a new pin.

LTG : )

#4 8 months ago

I had assumed this played into it, but unless he has announced it's his last game, I don't know why people are l̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ claiming that this is their last NIB.

#5 8 months ago

I guess people have more imagination than I do - I don't get Jaws as a pin either. Just don't see a modern complex game rom that theme. Frankly I hope Elwin's next is just about anything else...

#6 8 months ago

Only way it will work is if it’s like JP. Pinball with JAWS artwork and loosely based on the movie, but not really. The movie doesn’t have any action conducive to pinball.

But I fully expect it to be like JP, so in that case it will be fun regardless of theme.

#7 8 months ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

Just don't see a modern complex game rom that theme.

Oh I dunno, Atari made a super-complicated video game out of it.

hqdefault (31) (resized).jpghqdefault (31) (resized).jpg
    #8 8 months ago
    Quoted from Nintegageo:

Everyone keeps saying they're done with NIBs, except Jaws.
    Is the IP really that special? Why this one exception?
    Not hating on the game or the excitement, I honestly just don't understand.

With “everyone” you mean a few pinside regulars (some who have sworn off Stern because of $).

Jaws and BTTF have zero appeal to me. But then theme is secondary to me (I only bought LOTR because of theme).

#9 8 months ago

He was a great villain helper.

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
    #10 8 months ago
    Quoted from Nintegageo:

I had assumed this played into it, but unless he has announced it's his last game, I don't know why people are l̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ claiming that this is their last NIB.

Probably because Stern keeps raising the prices.

#11 8 months ago

I’ve heard jaws is coming for like a decade now. Please just come so it can stop.

#12 8 months ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

But then theme is secondary to me (I only bought LOTR because of theme).

I go along with that too to a point, but it was easier in the old days when themes were a lot more general (pool, cards, racing, monsters, outer space, whatever). Now a game might be based on a specific movie or TV show or musical group that I never liked... or maybe one I used to like but now I'm sick and tired of it. Jaws, I still love that flick.

#13 8 months ago
    Quoted from timtim:

I’ve heard jaws is coming for like a decade now. Please just come so it can stop.

Basically. Just come out already so we can stop hearing about it

#14 8 months ago

I agree. Love the movies and saw 3 & 4 at the theatre. I have part3 in 3D! I have no desire to see it made into a pinball machine anymore than I do King Kong. Actually KK would be better now that I think about it.

#15 8 months ago

Yeah. Way more action sequences to do King Kong. Kong vs Godzilla would be cool.

#16 8 months ago

The perfect pin to play at the beach. Or a nautical themed Bar.

#17 8 months ago

Officially, my last buy.
    It’s the only theme that I’ll still play stupid money for.

#18 8 months ago

Agree that I don't care at all about Jaws the theme. But whatever Keith makes will be great.

#19 8 months ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

(I only bought LOTR because of theme).

And you unknowingly ended up with arguably "one" of the best/deepest/hardest pins ever made.

#20 8 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Either that or go in the water.
    Most choose a new pin.
    LTG : )

Pins in the water.....youre in the water....

Farewell and adieu to you, Spanish ladies

#21 8 months ago

I'm talking about working for a living.
    Talkin about sharking!

The Jaws theme should make a terrific pinball, but so should have James Bond.

Just hoping KE isn't wasted again with a 50th anniv. reincarnate Robert Shaw ultra LE pin for $125,000.

#22 8 months ago

I just wonder if it will be out before or after Muppets.

#23 8 months ago

I don't know. I really don't know. Thr price will be insane and the theme is about 45 years late. Elwin is the only answer.

#24 8 months ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I don't know. I really don't know. Thr price will be insane and the theme is about 45 years late. Elwin is the only answer.

Everyone seems to just want themes from their childhood which for the pin crowd is mainly 70-80s stuff, so not sure it's late. Any more recent license always gets folks all huffy.

#25 8 months ago
    Quoted from Nintegageo:

This is a common logic fallacy. "People" who are claiming this is their last NIB are not the same "people" who are interested in Jaws. Some are the same, yes. Jaws is my FAVORITE movie. But I am super happy with my lineup right now, and want to see what the game is like before any cash gets sequestered. likely I'll buy it used now that the market seems to be settling a bit. There will always be FOMO

#26 8 months ago

I had no idea that it was even a game in planning so apparently, not everyone into pinball is paying quite as close attention as you think.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

"People" who are claiming this is their last NIB are not the same "people"

Besides, who cares what all those whiners say. Same as all those saying "I'm leaving Pinside" or I can't stand Facebook. Ha- no one seem to care.

#27 8 months ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I had no idea that it was even a game in planning so apparently, not everyone into pinball is paying quite as close attention as you think.

Besides, who cares what all those whiners say. Same as all those saying "I'm leaving Pinside" or I can't stand Facebook. Ha- no one seem to care.

yep!

I don't think we actually know that Jaws is happening, do we? I haven't been following closely but wasn't there speculation that Jaws is merely a code name for Venom? Or is there some playfield photo out there in the wild?

#28 8 months ago
    Quoted from timtim:

Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Basically. Just come out already so we can stop hearing about it

Agreed. People claiming it is coming since 2014, and then once it does "see?? See?? I TOLD YOU!!!"

Like..."ok wizard....since you were so on point after 9 years, wanna tell me which stocks to invest in for a return similar to some politicians making 96% return? I'll wait and watch you do it with your entire portfolio before I invest...."

A big fish attacking a boat...oh boy...this sure sounds exciting...come on, dude. That said, the angle of how JP was approached was great and if done like that....ok....but at 9500 for all the mechs and goodies? Nope.

And WHO THE FUCK wants Muppets as a theme? News flash, what you remember from your child hood isnt that amazing or special. Remember 1987 TMNT? Remember how amazing that cartoon was - how untouchable, awesome and flawless it was? Yeah....I've rewatched it, and some things said and done are so cringe...

Take the rose colored glasses from 1973 off.

#29 8 months ago

I predict a shark eating a pinball.

#30 8 months ago

I'm not sure if I want it to happen just yet.

#31 8 months ago

Ok did I totally miss something?? Is Jaws a confirmed Stern release? If so I have to start donating blood and have to find room for another game. My wife will insist on getting one.

#32 8 months ago

Going to be a very interesting pin .I hope it has the boat and it’s his first upper playfield .

#33 8 months ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Ok did I totally miss something?? Is Jaws a confirmed Stern release?

No. It's typical Pinside circle-jerk wishing, and thst REALLY picked up steam once Iron Maiden came out snd people had been stroking each other for 4 to 5 years saying "it's coming....its coming...mark my words....!!!"

Annoying as shit to see it nearly daily like "give it a fucking rest...." a hype thread ok, cool, but in multiple threads each day....geez

That said, there are 2 or 3 Pinsiders that do seem to legitimately have an inside line to Stern....so once they even breathe "Jaws" HOLY SHIT IT'S COMING.

Release the game please so we can see something else other than Jaws

#34 8 months ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

I guess people have more imagination than I do - I don't get Jaws as a pin either....

Well those "people" are pinball designers; so yeah they probably knowm better than us.

#35 8 months ago

Jaws is a dumb theme for pinball

#37 8 months ago

Its really simple. Jaws is a massively popular IP and its probably going to be an Elwin game.

#38 8 months ago

The latest hit from Stern is 'The Foo Fighters' and people are skeptical about the viability of a JAWS theme??

#39 8 months ago

I think it will be Gomez, he turns 70 in 2025. My guess is Elwin releases another NIB cornerstone in 2024, Gomez/JAWS 2025 and he retires. I'll take Elwin or Gomez though!

JAWS in general is considered (at least by me and some movie buff friends) to be on a VERY short list of near-Perfect films. IMO, JAWS and Shawshank Redemption are both perfect films, flawless. Combine JAWS with Elwin or Gomez, proper licensing, toys, good art and theme integration and it could be an amazing pinball machine.

2 generations grew up watching JAWS, and those generations are smack in the middle of the pinball buyin demographic. Thus, its hype.

Quoted from DanMarino:

I predict a shark eating a pinball.

Nah, the shark won't be a toy on the pin. That is the biggest trap of this theme if making a JAWS pin. The shark itself wasn't even shown in the film until the 3rd act, and its a special movie because the shark is NOT prominent. The toys should be yellow barrels for the pop bumpers, and the Orca should be the main toy. Theming should probably have seaside buildings from the 70s, and find a way to bring in the infamous billboard sign, AFTER teenagers vandalized it with a shark fin graffiti.

If you use the shark at all, it should be hidden the overwhelming majority of time and have single multiball mode that has the shark jump up (visible) and land on the back of the Orca. Maybe with a ramp that allows you to lock balls into the sharks mouth (acting as scuba tanks) (only visible when lock is lit) and after locking 2 balls, the 3rd ball acts as the rifle shot to explode the tanks and start MB. Or maybe this is wizard mode.

I still say, the shark is a trap. Avoid a shark toy at all costs, unless its hidden and reveals itself through some cool mechanism in a MB mode or something.

#40 8 months ago

Jaws is better than back to the future!!

#41 8 months ago

On a side note, I hope this comes to my area. This broadway play "The Shark is Broken" is about all the down time the cast went through when Bruce was broke. Looks like a fun night out.

#42 8 months ago

If we are going to talk about perfect movies, I'd much rather have a "Princess Bride" pinball.

#43 8 months ago

Jaws is not a great pinball theme. I grew up in that era and not something I’d really want in a pinball machine, it’s very limited. The movie isn’t even that great. If you really want a killer theme from that era, Animal House is by far the best theme you could ever do. Blues brothers is another one. I could think of 10 other titles that would be better than jaws.

Pinball is slowing, these manufacturers need to start hitting home runs. titles like jaws, venom and a gangster themed game aren’t going to do it. Spend the money and get Harry Potter and The Matrix, people will pay for those if the assets are there and the games are done right (e.g., not stripped down)

#44 8 months ago
    Quoted from superNoid:

IMO, JAWS and Shawshank Redemption are both perfect films, flawless. Combine JAWS with Elwin or Gomez, proper licensing, toys, good art and theme integration and it could be an amazing pinball machine.

By that logic, Shawshank could be an amazing pinball machine.

#45 8 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Its really simple. Jaws is a massively popular IP and its probably going to be an Elwin game.

It's 50 years old. Great movie, but maybe 30 years ago would have been relevant.

#46 8 months ago
    Quoted from superNoid:

JAWS in general is considered (at least by me and some movie buff friends) to be on a VERY short list of near-Perfect films.

I can't wait to hear this explanation.

#47 8 months ago

Jaws was the code name for JP, so all the rumors make sense with an Elwin Jaws release after the 30th anniversary dropped. I don't see an actual Jaws based on the movie being Elwin's next game.

#48 8 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I can't wait to hear this explanation.

nostalgia

#49 8 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Jaws is not a great pinball theme. I grew up in that era and not something I’d really want in a pinball machine, it’s very limited. The movie isn’t even that great. If you really want a killer theme from that era, Animal House is by far the best theme you could ever do. Blues brothers is another one.
    )

Comedies don't work for pinball themes. I can't think of one!

I mean look at the pinball meme thread. "Comedy" and pinball just don't mix; it's far too easy for it to be painfully unfunny.

#50 8 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Comedies don't work for pinball themes. I can't think of one!
    I mean look at the pinball meme thread. "Comedy" and pinball just don't mix; it's far too easy for it to be painfully unfunny.

Rick and Morty is hilarious. Elvira is funny. Pinball is known for campy humor.

There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-everyone-obsessed-with-the-new-jaws and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.