(Topic ID: 342356)

Why is everyone obsessed with the new Jaws?

By Nintegageo

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 402 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by cosmokramer
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fetchimage (resized).jpeg
    SCAN0050 (resized).JPG
    AAB55C8B-B7EF-4C2C-9FF9-2449D30A2B55 (resized).jpeg
    EEB84B92-A926-4133-A8F6-02EA1BD88E88 (resized).jpeg
    20230820_082646 (resized).jpg
    a1ed9d9bdea52d177da01e6b7e32803c3b470122962397a6766b8a070bc12a7c_1 (resized).jpg
    Picard (resized).png
    PXL_20230903_210351844.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230903_210358511 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8338 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    licensed-image (resized).jpeg
    jabberjaw (resized).png
    There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
    #201 10 months ago
    Quoted from lowbeau67:

The dude is freaking hilarious and often hits the nail right on the
    head with his sarcasm and quick wit. No one bats a 1000 with this
    approach but he's the best at it on here.
    To me he has saved many a bland dull thread where too many
    people take themselves and their opinions too seriously.
    You can't have such thin skin and for Pete's sake be able to
    laugh at yourself. Life is short.

I would say between Levi and Rare Hero’s early arguments made me better at Pinside lol.
    Jaws is a great movie! Great acting great script from the book.
    Also the music was more subtle and used when needed.Movies and series bombard you with sound recently

#202 10 months ago

Shark Week on TV every year, promotes a rerun of the Jaws series. Then every time some surfer or beach goer gets bit, they reference Jaws. Some of you are living under a rock.

I had to ask who the Foo fighters were and why they got a pinball! What's next? Justin Bieber pinball or Taylor Swifty?

#203 10 months ago
    Quoted from lowbeau67:

The dude is freaking hilarious and often hits the nail right on the
    head with his sarcasm and quick wit. No one bats a 1000 with this
    approach but he's the best at it on here.
    To me he has saved many a bland dull thread where too many
    people take themselves and their opinions too seriously.
    You can't have such thin skin and for Pete's sake be able to
    laugh at yourself. Life is short.

Man save some crazyLevi weiner for the rest of us

#204 10 months ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Mods! help!!!

#205 10 months ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

He’s entitled to his opinion!!

And there’s plenty of crazy Levi wiener to go around.

If you know what I mean.

Hint hint.

(I have a gigantic schlong)

Come to think of it, what WAS in that 1987 pm?!

#206 10 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He’s entitled to his opinion!!
    And there’s plenty of crazy Levi wiener to go around.
    If you know what I mean.
    Hint hint.
    (I have a gigantic schlong)
    Come to think of it, what WAS in that 1987 pm?!

See you in my DM'S baiby

#207 10 months ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

Because you don't need to wait for mods, they are readily available.
    [quoted image]

That looks like a $1k topper right there, just needs a zip tie.

#208 10 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I bet more people under 30 know what a pinball is then know what JAWS was.

As a 35 year old, this is true for me. Have played and owned pinball machines for several years. Never seen the movie Jaws.

#209 10 months ago

Elwin and theme is cool for us older pinheads!

#210 10 months ago
    Quoted from SNES:

As a 35 year old, this is true for me. Have played and owned pinball machines for several years. Never seen the movie Jaws.

I’ve never seen ET.

#211 10 months ago

Since we’re all going to die, there’s one more secret I feel I have to share with you… I did not care for ‘The Godfather.’

#212 10 months ago
    Quoted from SNES:

but you're familiar with Jaws, correct? You know what Jaws is?

#213 10 months ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I’ve never seen ET.

Bro

#214 10 months ago

I'm 35 and Jaws is the best. I get a lot of people about my age or younger might not have seen the film, but also...they know what it is. It is a movie that has permeated pop culture and is referenced in a lot of other media. So even if you haven't seen Jaws, you still picked up a lot of it through pop culture osmosis.

Someone mentioned not seeing ET. I haven't either. Yet I know the major plot points, reeses pieces are a thing, etc

#215 10 months ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Someone mentioned not seeing ET. I haven't either

BRO

#216 10 months ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

Rick and Morty is hilarious.

100%

#217 10 months ago

I still remember the little girl sitting behind me pleading "Please ET Don't Die!!! Don't Die!!!!!"

#218 10 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

but you're familiar with Jaws, correct? You know what Jaws is?

Yeah, that’s true. A movie about a shark that looks fake haha

#219 10 months ago
    Quoted from SNES:

Yeah, that’s true. A movie about a shark that looks fake haha

How dare you sir! That shark freaked me out when I was a kid but didn't have all that color corrected, 60fps, High Def, CGI back then. It was a latex, mechanical asshole submerged in salt water that broke all the time "And that's the way we liked it!" They had so much trouble keeping "Bruce" operational during filming it almost cost them the film. Its kind of crazy they had a Universal ride. I assume Universal made the ride bulletproof to have it so long.

#220 10 months ago

Honestly the fake looking shark looks better than modern shark movies

My wife and I were watching T2 the other week and our main conclusion was how insanely good that movie still looks vs modern movies.

Practical effects >> CGI

Deep Blue Sea holds up pretty well because they had full sized shark puppets in addition to CGI

#221 10 months ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Practical effects >> CGI

IMG_0042 (resized).jpegIMG_0042 (resized).jpeg
    #222 10 months ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Practical effects >> CGI

All day everyday!

#223 10 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Its kind of crazy they had a Universal ride. I assume Universal made the ride bulletproof to have it so long.

He still shows up in all his rubbery glory in the studio tour at Universal Hollywood.

#224 10 months ago

This guy

harryobit1-superJumbo-v4 (resized).jpgharryobit1-superJumbo-v4 (resized).jpg
    #225 10 months ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I’ve never seen ET.

ET is unwatchable.

#226 10 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

ET is unwatchable.

It was nothing like that, penis breath!!!

#227 10 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Shut up penis breath!!!

Classic at the time, when we were 6.
    I know I know, that means wee should be begging for a pin version but i just can't do it.

#228 10 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Where’s Mexico?

#229 10 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I know I know, that means wee should be begging for a pin version but i just can't do it.

I swear that was the funniest thing I ever heard when I was a kid.

#230 10 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I swear that was the funniest thing I ever heard when I was a kid.

The theater erupted in laughter.

#231 10 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I own one

#232 10 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That line is my tilt call out on my home brew

Apparently Steven Spielberg had Elliot say that line without telling the actress who played his mother so her reaction is real.

#233 10 months ago

im in when pinsound has an audio package with bruce as jaws

IMG_2660 (resized).pngIMG_2660 (resized).png
    #234 10 months ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

He still shows up in all his rubbery glory in the studio tour at Universal Hollywood.

Always found it strange that the shark on the Universal tour looked nothing like the shark from the original film.

#235 10 months ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Still holds up to me Classic and movie magic at its best. The Universal Hollywood tour also showes where they fillmed the seas parting in the 10 Commandments, Hill Valley, CA (BTTF)/Kingston Falls, PA (Gremlins) or The bankroberry scene in Dirty Harry etc and you always go wow, thats not how it looked in the movie.

#236 10 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

How dare you sir! That shark freaked me out when I was a kid but didn't have all that color corrected, 60fps, High Def, CGI back then. It was a latex, mechanical asshole submerged in salt water that broke all the time "And that's the way we liked it!" They had so much trouble keeping "Bruce" operational during filming it almost cost them the film. Its kind of crazy they had a Universal ride. I assume Universal made the ride bulletproof to have it so long.

That ride was constantly breaking down - it was a huge pain in the ass - water kills EVERYTHING. But it lasted as long as it did because people LOVED the ride. Then Harry Potter waved his magic wand and...

#237 10 months ago

Unbeatable theme + Elwin.

What's the confusion?

#238 10 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

[quoted image]

The remake from 2011 was sooooo much better.

#239 10 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

It was, primarily because of all the CGI.

#240 10 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Prequel.

Edit: sorry, spoilers

#241 10 months ago

I've not seen most things (including ET and Jaws).

#242 10 months ago

I respect Jaws's plot line and using anticipation to build up the drama and suspense...but the first time I watched it as a teenager was in the 90's and NEVER seeing the shark for nearly the entire film REALLY pissed me off.

I remember yelling at the screen "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH...WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY TALKING? NOBODY CARES! SHOW ME THE FUCKING SHARK!!" Cutaway scenes, focusing on a floating buoy for minutes to waste time, random crap washed up on a beach etc, etc, anything but JAWS.

Same thing with that shitty "Zilla" movie from the 90's. Nobody wants to see random people talking about their bullshit life issues or whatever in a GODZILLA movie...we want to see Godzilla fuck shit up...and other monsters get involved like a tag team wrestling match....If you have a film called JAWS...I want to see Jaws.

#243 10 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

I respect Jaws's plot line and using anticipation to build up the drama and suspense...but the first time I watched it as a teenager was in the 90's and NEVER seeing the shark for nearly the entire film REALLY pissed me off.
    I remember yelling at the screen "BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH...WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY TALKING? NOBODY CARES! SHOW ME THE FUCKING SHARK!!" Cutaway scenes, focusing on a floating buoy for minutes to waste time, random crap washed up on a beach etc, etc, anything but JAWS.
    Same thing with that shitty "Zilla" movie from the 90's. Nobody wants to see random people talking about their bullshit life issues or whatever in a GODZILLA movie...we want to see Godzilla fuck shit up...and other monsters get involved like a tag team wrestling match....If you have a film called JAWS...I want to see Jaws.

Part of not seeing the shark wasn't for building suspense but because it wasn't working until late in the 3rd act of the film. The "slow burn" of it actually works for the film. A good shark movie of recent times was "The Shallows" with Blake Lively.

#244 10 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

I am guessing you also hated the original Alien movie

#245 10 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

The original intention of Jaws would have been more like that. But the shark rarely worked right, so the majority of the scenes with the shark in action got cut or never filmed. And then a few more got changed to secure the PG rating vs R. For example, the estuary swimmer kill was originally way bloodier and had the swimmer in the mouth of the shark trying to push Michael to safety

Also ya know...who cares about people being killed if you're not emotionally invested in them surviving? Quint would be a pretty unlikable character with ill defined motives without his Indianapolis monologue.

#246 10 months ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I am guessing you also hated the original Alien movie

No, I saw it as a kid on HBO. It had a lot more than just a lot of talking. It had people in cool costumes with cool guns blowing crap up and getting eaten alive. It was far better than Jaws.

For the time period Jaws was amazing. But like I said, imagine as a teen in the 90's and you've already seen all the cool movies up till then...like every Freddy, Jason, etc. Then you watch Jaws...

#247 10 months ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The original intention of Jaws would have been more like that. But the shark rarely worked right, so the majority of the scenes with the shark in action got cut or never filmed. And then a few more got changed to secure the PG rating vs R. For example, the estuary swimmer kill was originally way bloodier and had the swimmer in the mouth of the shark trying to push Michael to safety

Also ya know...who cares about people being killed if you're not emotionally invested in them surviving? Quint would be a pretty unlikable character with ill defined motives without his Indianapolis monologue.

100% agree with character development. It's vital. Just not 100 minutes of it with no shark. Just sayin.

#248 10 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Part of not seeing the shark wasn't for building suspense but because it wasn't working until late in the 3rd act of the film. The "slow burn" of it actually works for the film.

That's like for the 1950s....not today.

#249 10 months ago

Jesus christ

#250 10 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

100% agree with character development. It's vital. Just not 100 minutes of it with no shark. Just sayin.

You’ll love Jaws 2 then.

No character development or interesting dialogue. All shark.

And the shark eats a helicopter.

There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.