Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,023 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 43 hours ago by zermeno68
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 8.53.15 PM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9193 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9187 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9191 (resized).jpeg
    20240408_161419 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8961 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mojo (resized).jpg
    IMG_0102 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0103 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_9610 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9608 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9606 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240331_165319713 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240331_165318272.MP (resized).jpg
    There are 3,023 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 61.
    #2501 5 months ago

mmm medium rare chicken

For the record we eat our farm turkeys well below the min recommended temp, but store-bought we generally do not. LOL

#2502 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

mmm medium rare chicken
    For the record we eat our farm turkeys well below the min recommended temp, but store-bought we generally do not. LOL

I like my steaks medium rare but chicken

#2503 5 months ago

As long as you let it bathe long enough it will be pasteurized. Low temp, long time. I normally let my chicken filets bath for 2 hours at 144 fahrenheit or 62 degrees freedom unit Celsius.

#2504 5 months ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

As long as you let it bathe long enough it will be pasteurized. Low temp, long time. I normally let my chicken filets bath for 2 hours at 144 fahrenheit or 62 degrees freedom unit Celsius.

Yes I did read up a bit and read that, there was a table of times and temps
    Just checked the times on my pics and it was closer to 2 hours bathing, probed it after and it was about 144f/62c.

Just not used to it so getting paranoid, cooking Jamaican chicken curry now with the rest of the chicken!

#2505 5 months ago

Yeah, never take any chances with poultry. But god damn, its almost criminal how juicy you can cook chicken and turkey sous vide.. You never want to go back

#2506 5 months ago

The safety guidelines for meats including pork and poultry are all based on time. The 165 degree recommendation for chicken is the temp at which the harmful bacteria are basically instantly neutralized. If a chicken has been at 155 degrees (for example) for many a couple hours its perfectly safe to eat. In fact, I think the actual safe cooking time at 155 is like 5 minutes (EDIT- Its actually 50 seconds). Chicken is way better when its a little "undercooked"

I wish I could find the nice diagram I saw one time that laid out the times at which temp are required to kill off the bacteria, but its a surprisingly low amount of time even at lower temps.

Edit- Found it. Excellent breakdown of why sous vide chicken is safe even if its under the 165 degree threshold and why. Plus it has the handy chart explaining the time it takes to kill off the pathogens rendering the food safe. Technically you could safely eat medium rare chicken if you were so inclined

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast

And here is a more in depth and comprehensive explanation and breakdown from the FSIS/USDA if you want to have a look:
    https://www.fsis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media_file/2021-12/Appendix-A.pdf

#2507 5 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

The safety guidelines for meats including pork and poultry are all based on time. The 165 degree recommendation for chicken is the temp at which the harmful bacteria are basically instantly neutralized. If a chicken has been at 155 degrees (for example) for many a couple hours its perfectly safe to eat. In fact, I think the actual safe cooking time at 155 is like 5 minutes (EDIT- Its actually 50 seconds). Chicken is way better when its a little "undercooked"
    I wish I could find the nice diagram I saw one time that laid out the times at which temp are required to kill off the bacteria, but its a surprisingly low amount of time even at lower temps.
    Edit- Found it. Excellent breakdown of why sous vide chicken is safe even if its under the 165 degree threshold and why. Plus it has the handy chart explaining the time it takes to kill off the pathogens rendering the food safe. Technically you could safely eat medium rare chicken if you were so inclined
    https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast
    And here is a more in depth and comprehensive explanation and breakdown from the FSIS/USDA if you want to have a look:
    https://www.fsis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media_file/2021-12/Appendix-A.pdf

This is a good article! Thanks for this. I'll definitely continue to read this after work.

#2509 5 months ago

If you guys have Dicks, for the next 5 hours they have the Lodge cast iron pizza pan for $20 (reg $40) MADE IN USA

Better than a pizza stone (non-stick, not fragile)

Good for searing steaks too (don't buy a $120 baking steel)

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/lodge-15-cast-iron-pizza-pan-22loda15cstrnpzzpcfp/22loda15cstrnpzzpcfp

Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 09-41-42 Lodge 15 Cast Iron Pizza Pan Dick's Sporting Goods (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-11-12 at 09-41-42 Lodge 15 Cast Iron Pizza Pan Dick's Sporting Goods (resized).png
    #2510 5 months ago

I have this.... Excellent and good price.

Quoted from vid1900:If you guys have Dicks, for the next 5 hours they have the Lodge cast iron pizza pan for $20 (reg $40) MADE IN USA
    Better than a pizza stone (non-stick, not fragile)
    Good for searing steaks too (don't buy a $120 baking steel)
    https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/lodge-15-cast-iron-pizza-pan-22loda15cstrnpzzpcfp/22loda15cstrnpzzpcfp
    [quoted image]

#2511 5 months ago

My Costco finally had some prime briskets in. Picked one up and put it on before i went to bed last night. My “Pit” aka BGE held it’s temp very well throughout the night. Some may call it cheating but i have no morale dilemma with using a temp controller for long, overnight smokes.

IMG_0003 (resized).pngIMG_0003 (resized).png
    #2512 5 months ago

Smoked a pork loin today. Pulled at 140. You can see that the ends got more done than I’d like. I haven’t got to a center piece yet. Also, I didn’t trim enough fat. Live and learn. It’s still delicious.

Also noteworthy are the smoker temp inconsistencies. A 70 degree swing between two probes with about 8” of each other. It’s a smoke valet 24”, for what that’s worth.

IMG_0855 (resized).jpegIMG_0855 (resized).jpegIMG_0857 (resized).jpegIMG_0857 (resized).jpegIMG_0858 (resized).jpegIMG_0858 (resized).jpegIMG_0854 (resized).jpegIMG_0854 (resized).jpeg
    #2513 5 months ago

My first brisket ever. 6 hour smoke, 250 4 hr, 1 hr at 280 to get to 205 temp. Basted every 40 minutes and injected 1 hour before removal.

20231113_200009 (resized).jpg20231113_200009 (resized).jpg20231113_202700 (resized).jpg20231113_202700 (resized).jpg20231113_203432 (resized).jpg20231113_203432 (resized).jpg
    #2514 5 months ago

Made some beef ribs too.

20231113_163941 (resized).jpg20231113_163941 (resized).jpg
    #2515 5 months ago

Those beef ribs look perfect.

#2516 5 months ago

I said out loud, to myself, mmmmm LOL to both of those.

#2517 5 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

Made some beef ribs too.
    [quoted image]

They do look good, but man F beef ribs. I will never buy them again. Way too expensive and too much work for a couple morsels of meat. Admittedly the meat IS good, but its not like...mind blowingly good by any means. Its nothing special. I should specify, beef back ribs. Beef short rib is awesome no matter how its cooked!

#2518 5 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Smoked a pork loin today. Pulled at 140. You can see that the ends got more done than I’d like. I haven’t got to a center piece yet. Also, I didn’t trim enough fat. Live and learn. It’s still delicious.
    Also noteworthy are the smoker temp inconsistencies. A 70 degree swing between two probes with about 8” of each other. It’s a smoke valet 24”, for what that’s worth.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I've been chewing on this smoked pork loin for a few days now. Interestingly, it has the smokiest flavor of anything I've ever made. I wonder if it's due to the low fat content of the meat - - - the rub didn't get soaked in liquid, so possibly it absorbed more smoke like a sponge?

It's so, so good. The rub has such good flavor. Definitely will be making it again.

#2519 5 months ago

There will be some sous vide tomorrow!

img_20231115_123558 (resized).jpgimg_20231115_123558 (resized).jpg
    #2520 5 months ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

There will be some sous vide tomorrow![quoted image]

Mmmm skirt and tri-tip. 2 of my favorites. Excellent taste you have sir! Curious to see how the Flank does in sous vide. Never thought to try that

#2521 5 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Mmmm skirt and tri-tip. 2 of my favorites. Excellent taste you have sir! Curious to see how the Flank does in sous vide. Never thought to try that

Yeah. Ribeye is so damn expensive here, prefer these kind of cuts.

#2522 5 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

They do look good, but man F beef ribs. I will never buy them again. Way too expensive and too much work for a couple morsels of meat. Admittedly the meat IS good, but its not like...mind blowingly good by any means. Its nothing special. I should specify, beef back ribs. Beef short rib is awesome no matter how its cooked!

Youre right, not much meat and very greasy too, but a LOT of flavor. The butcher at my local Kroger likes to smoke meat too, actually gave me the ribs for 9 bucks instead of the 18 dollar sticker, he said, throw these on too with your brisket, take pics and let me know how they turned out. What I actually did might upset some of you...I cut all the greasy rib meat off the bone, cut up some of the brisket, fried up some ground beef and made a slow cook crock pot chilli overnight...best damn chill Ive ever made by faar, my daughter demanded we pack it in a thermos for her school lunch!

#2523 5 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

Youre right, not much meat and very greasy too, but a LOT of flavor. The butcher at my local Kroger likes to smoke meat too, actually gave me the ribs for 9 bucks instead of the 18 dollar sticker, he said, throw these on too with your brisket, take pics and let me know how they turned out. What I actually did might upset some of you...I cut all the greasy rib meat off the bone, cut up some of the brisket, fried up some ground beef and made a slow cook crock pot chilli overnight...best damn chill Ive ever made by faar, my daughter demanded we pack it in a thermos for her school lunch!

9 bucks isn't bad, I'd consider them at that price. The chili sounds freakin awesome!

#2524 5 months ago

Sounds good to me.

Quoted from Sandman33:Youre right, not much meat and very greasy too, but a LOT of flavor. The butcher at my local Kroger likes to smoke meat too, actually gave me the ribs for 9 bucks instead of the 18 dollar sticker, he said, throw these on too with your brisket, take pics and let me know how they turned out. What I actually did might upset some of you...I cut all the greasy rib meat off the bone, cut up some of the brisket, fried up some ground beef and made a slow cook crock pot chilli overnight...best damn chill Ive ever made by faar, my daughter demanded we pack it in a thermos for her school lunch!

#2525 5 months ago

We just did some beef ribs this week. I'm kind of underwhelmed also.

Quoted from Haymaker:9 bucks isn't bad, I'd consider them at that price. The chili sounds freakin awesome!

#2526 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

We just did some beef ribs this week. I'm kind of underwhelmed also.

Only time I even mess with them anymore if when I'm cutting up a ribeye roast. I keep the bones and smoke em for something to nibble on while something else is going, or I make stock with them. Speaking of stock, do any of you guys ever make your own stock? For a while I was keeping all my bones and veggie scraps and when I had enough I'd put everything in my instant pot (because I'm lazy and don't feel like spending 16 hrs tending to a pot all day) and make a nice stock. Once I strain it and scrape off any fat, I transfer everything into ice cube trays. I let the stock freeze into little ice cubes and put them in a bag in my freezer. Any time I need stock, I grab a few ice cubes and I'm ready to go! I haven't done it in a while but I probably will once winter comes in full swing, since its easier to freeze the ice cub trays in my garage than in my freezer.

#2527 5 months ago

This is something I have urged my wife to do, but so far it hasn't happened. Sounds amazing.

Quoted from Haymaker:Only time I even mess with them anymore if when I'm cutting up a ribeye roast. I keep the bones and smoke em for something to nibble on while something else is going, or I make stock with them. Speaking of stock, do any of you guys ever make your own stock? For a while I was keeping all my bones and veggie scraps and when I had enough I'd put everything in my instant pot (because I'm lazy and don't feel like spending 16 hrs tending to a pot all day) and make a nice stock. Once I strain it and scrape off any fat, I transfer everything into ice cube trays. I let the stock freeze into little ice cubes and put them in a bag in my freezer. Any time I need stock, I grab a few ice cubes and I'm ready to go! I haven't done it in a while but I probably will once winter comes in full swing, since its easier to freeze the ice cub trays in my garage than in my freezer.

#2528 5 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Only time I even mess with them anymore if when I'm cutting up a ribeye roast. I keep the bones and smoke em for something to nibble on while something else is going, or I make stock with them. Speaking of stock, do any of you guys ever make your own stock? For a while I was keeping all my bones and veggie scraps and when I had enough I'd put everything in my instant pot (because I'm lazy and don't feel like spending 16 hrs tending to a pot all day) and make a nice stock. Once I strain it and scrape off any fat, I transfer everything into ice cube trays. I let the stock freeze into little ice cubes and put them in a bag in my freezer. Any time I need stock, I grab a few ice cubes and I'm ready to go! I haven't done it in a while but I probably will once winter comes in full swing, since its easier to freeze the ice cub trays in my garage than in my freezer.

WTF, how cold does it get in your garage!
    Good idea by the way.

#2529 5 months ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:

WTF, how cold does it get in your garage!
    Good idea by the way.

Lol pretty much the temp of the outdoors. I ain't got one of them fancy heated or insulated gee-rages. Really the easy part is that usually my freezer is packed pretty full and I don't particularly like having ice cub trays full of stock sloshing around until they freeze. I can just set like 6 trays or whatever up on my workbench and they all freeze that way

#2530 5 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Speaking of stock, do any of you guys ever make your own stock? For a while I was keeping all my bones and veggie scraps and when I had enough I'd put everything in my instant pot (because I'm lazy and don't feel like spending 16 hrs tending to a pot all day) and make a nice stock.

I make chicken, beef, and pork stock/bone broth all the time. Like you said, save all the bones (raw or cooked) veggie scraps, etc. and throw them in the pressure cooker for a few hours. Makes the most amazing soups and stock to use in anything. Rice made with homemade chicken stock instead of water is unbelievable. If you use enough bones in a batch, the amount of collagen rendered makes the final product the consistency of jello when chilled.

#2531 5 months ago

I like to buy bone in Prime Rib Roasts and trim off the Ribs leaving a lot of meat on them.Some of the Best tasting Ribs I have ever Had.

#2532 5 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I like to buy bone in Prime Rib Roasts and trim off the Ribs leaving a lot of meat on them.Some of the Best tasting Ribs I have ever Had.

Speaking of... just went to my local Albertsons to ask what quality of meat is the Prime Rib they are selling on sale as it was not stated in the advertainment.

Answer: Select at $6.99 lb.

Further ask how much for Choice...

Answer: $11.99 lb. The guy claimed Albertsons is making 0 profit at that rate.

Lastly, how much for Prime version.

Answer: $32.00 lb. WTF.

Hot damn....... Left the store speechless and without a slab of meat.

#2533 5 months ago

That's strong to leave empty handed. I couldn't have done it

Quoted from zermeno68:Speaking of... just went to my local Albertsons to ask what quality of meat is the Prime Rib they are selling on sale as it was not stated in the advertainment.

#2534 5 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Speaking of... just went to my local Albertsons to ask what quality of meat is the Prime Rib they are selling on sale as it was not stated in the advertainment.

Is it weird I have not seen select grade beef at any store I've ever been to. At least one where I might have the possibility of buying meat (Like for example maybe dollar general has some steaks in a cooler, but I'd never buy a steak from DG so I didn't pay attention)

Honestly 12 bucks/lb is not a terrible price for choice prime rib these days, at least in my area. I'd consider the $7/lb select but I'd be cutting it up for things like cheese steaks and stir frys and fajitas.

#2535 5 months ago

Many of the Lowes stores have begun clearancing the KJ accessories.

That jotisserie is normally $299 for $75

Most of these fit the BGE, BBE, Vision or any round grill (for instance, the half-round soapstone could fit anything).

yessssssyessssss

Firestarters and smoke rollers

oooohooooh

#2536 5 months ago

Wonder if that cast iron half round griddle would fit my weber performer.... hmm

Quoted from vid1900:Many of the Lowes stores have begun clearancing the KJ accessories.
    That jotisserie is normally $299 for $75
    Most of these fit the BGE, BBE, Vision or any round grill (for instance, the half-round soapstone could fit anything).
    [quoted image]
    Firestarters and smoke rollers
    [quoted image]

#2537 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

Wonder if that cast iron half round griddle would fit my weber performer.... hmm

One size fits the 18" and the other the 24" grills.

You are right in the middle with the Performer, so there will be some compromise (or bring out the angle grinder)

#2538 5 months ago

Lowe's has Bear Mountain pellets 1/2 off too

IMG_20231117_155344.jpgIMG_20231117_155344.jpg
    #2539 5 months ago

Lowe's has cast iron, porcelain coated, universal grill grates on clearance for $8 regular $35

So if your grill has pimpy rusted out wire grates, or the upper deck grate sags under your brisket, this is your chance to up your game.

IMG_20231120_180703.jpgIMG_20231120_180703.jpg

IMG_20231120_180259.jpgIMG_20231120_180259.jpgIMG_20231120_180542.jpgIMG_20231120_180542.jpg
    #2540 5 months ago

Smoked a chuck roast. 5hr.

20231120_131311 (resized).jpg20231120_131311 (resized).jpg20231120_181119 (resized).jpg20231120_181119 (resized).jpg20231120_181122 (resized).jpg20231120_181122 (resized).jpg20231120_181845 (resized).jpg20231120_181845 (resized).jpg
    #2541 5 months ago

The Genesis 300 porcelain grates are clearance $36, regular $145 @ Lowe's

Probably worth getting spares at that price of you own one

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Genesis-18-9-in-x-26-8-in-2-Pack-Rectangle-Porcelain-coated-Cast-Iron-Cooking-Grate/5013489863

#2542 5 months ago

The crazy bright Weber grill lights are $10 reg $41 @ Lowe's

It has a tilt sensor and knows when you have closed the lid.

IMG_20231120_185511.jpgIMG_20231120_185511.jpg
    #2543 5 months ago

5 Rib Rack is $6 regular $22 @ Lowe's

Also good for "humping over" giant briskets so they will fit in an 18 grill

IMG_20231120_193729.jpgIMG_20231120_193729.jpg
    #2544 5 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Also good for "humping over" giant briskets so they will fit in an 18 grill[quoted image]

That is a good price. Man, wished I had a local Lowe’s.

Good blowout deals there

#2545 5 months ago

I know you guys love pre-measured rubs, so here is a big bottle of Pit Boss Sweet Rib Rub for $5 (reg $20) on clearance if you have a Lowes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-25-5-oz-Sweet-Seasoning-Mix/1001460544

Tasting it, it has more bite than one would expect.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 09-27-15 Pit Boss 27.3-oz Sweet Seasoning Mix in the Dry Seasoning & Marinades department at Lowes.com Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 09-27-15 Pit Boss 27.3-oz Sweet Seasoning Mix in the Dry Seasoning & Marinades department at Lowes.com Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 09-27-41 Pit Boss 27.3-oz Sweet Seasoning Mix in the Dry Seasoning & Marinades department at Lowes.com Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 09-27-41 Pit Boss 27.3-oz Sweet Seasoning Mix in the Dry Seasoning & Marinades department at Lowes.com

#2546 5 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The crazy bright Weber grill lights are $10 reg $41 @ Lowe's
    It has a tilt sensor and knows when you have closed the lid.[quoted image]

Thanks Vid, snagged one of these for $10. Hope it fits on my handle!

#2547 5 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Also good for "humping over" giant briskets so they will fit in an 18 grill[quoted image]

Back when I used to dry age beef, these were great for keeping the meat above the salt tray.

#2548 5 months ago

Just went to my local Home Depot... No Grill/BBQ item sales! My turd town seems to never have blowout sales to move inventory.

Either they are good at inventory purchases, move products to another store, or just plain too cheap to discount them.

Ugh frustrating... I wonder if this small town had more competition would that drive them to do some of these discounts?

#2549 5 months ago
    Quoted from Oshara:

Thanks Vid, snagged one of these for $10. Hope it fits on my handle!

I know that my BBE is going to need longer screws for sure, but for $10 I'll figure it out

The screws are 6-32, so pretty common for us pinball folk

#2550 5 months ago

Anyone smoke their thanksgiving bird? Mine goes in the brine tonight for close to 24 hrs. Then out tomorrow. Dry. Put on rub. Toss back in fridge. 7-8 hrs on the smoke thursday for just under a 15 lb bird at 8a hoping to eat around 4p

There are 3,023 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking/page/51 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.