Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,952 posts
  • 170 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Viggin900
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240323_181015 (resized).jpg
    20240318_113845 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_8081130_0 (resized).jpg
    20240317_093802 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3010 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20240316_150357.jpg
    IMG_20240316_142456.jpg
    20240310_123751 (resized).jpg
    20240309_200629 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8528 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8526 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8527 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    81VM8QM5ruL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240227_132144.jpg
    IMG_2959 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider haymaker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 2 years ago

I have been using a stick burner for years but last winter I went and got myself one of those newfangled pellet grills. I have been using it a lot! I miss the amount of smokey flavor that the stick burner brings but man its so nice to not have to dedicate entire days to babysitting the smoker. This weekend I have a spatchcock chicken planned and maybe some shishkabobs. I have a pork butt still waiting in my freezer but I'm saving that for memorial day I think

2 years later
    #1577 10 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Could not say No to Costco brand pellets at $13 each. Anyone know who makes them? Hope it’s not Traeger.
    I bought 2 of them to try out.
    [quoted image]

pitboss makes them from what I understand. Not much better than Treager.

#1585 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Trager pellets are just flavored with oils.
    Always buy real wood pellets that say 100% Cherry, 100% Hickory....not just scented with perfume

Yep, I use pretty much only Lumberjack

#1639 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

I've been a mostly electric smoker just because of the convenience. But, have really only done pork since there is such a HUGE temperature swing with them (at least based on the 2 I've had). Was going to go pellet and go cadillac (Recteq) but really liked what I saw with regards to the Masterbuilt vertical charcoal units that were talked about earlier in this thread. Never got a close out deal at Walmart. But decided to go "cheap" and pull the trigger on a smaller (560 sq in) unit at Home Depot. Did a break-in and monitor with my wifi thermometer over the weekend.
    Definitely a temperature offset from the location of the thermometer the PID controller uses but very stable. Probably a definite swing across the cooking surface with the side closest to the firebox being hottest. You guys can chime in but I don't think this is unusual. Pellet smokers with center heat sources might have more even heat but I would think any offset smoker would be hotter closer to the fire.
    Basically, I look at this as essentially an "automatic" offset-fire smoker.
    Anyway, excited to try this new badboy out. Based on the reviews I've seen this may not last more than a couple years, but I take pretty good care of my kit so we'll see. I also don't intend to use it as a regular grill at all so maybe using just lower temps will help that. I really just got this for smoking as I'm still quite happy with my 20-year old Jenn-Aire gas grill for grilling. I've got an egg-knock-off for when I really want chargoal for grilling.
    Anyway, happy morning all and GRILL ON!
    Jaz

Here's my 2 cents and the pellet guys always get mad at me when I speak this truth, but if you actually know, then you know. Pellet grills just are not great smokers if you like a reasonably deep smoke flavor. I'm not talking burnt or dirty smoke, I just mean the kind of results you'll typically get with a stick burner (even when burning clean rolling some sweet blue). It was kind of a shock to me when I got my pellet grill when I was used to my stick burner results. I don't care what brand of pellet grill you have, or what kind of pellets you use, or even if you have a smoke tube going in the pellet grill at the same time, the pellet grill just isn't going to produce great smoke flavor. I don't know what kind of results your electric smoker provided but if you are used to great smoked food cooked on a stick burner or over a pit, its just not gonna be the same. That said, plenty of people are very happy with the results they get from their pellet grills and will try to swear up and down the smoke flavor is great. Unfortunately the laws of physics just prove that wrong. I miss the deep smokey flavors I used to get from my stick burner but the truth be told, I ended up selling my stick burner and keeping the pellet grill. The convenience was just too much to pass up. Definitely something to keep in mind when shopping for a new grill.

Another thing to think about is a pellet grill is a pellet GRILL. Its not a pellet smoker (although they do make dedicated pellet smokers). Its a sort of jack of all trades, and master of none. Its not the best grill in the world (IMO its a fairly poor grill) and its not the best smoker in the world but it will do it all. I really like camp chef products with the sidekick. It really adds a lot of versatility.

I have a few friends with the gravity charcoal and I am quite well versed in them. I really like the results you can get from them. They are able to come pretty close to stick burner flavor and they can get hot enough easily for good grilling and searing. I was greatly considering trading my pellet grill in for a charcoal gravity smoker. They have a few big time flaws though, the main one being just reliability and build quality issues. Flaps warp and sometimes they are very finnicky. They usually work great for about a season and then you start having all sorts of troubles with them. Theres an aftermarket for them to keep them running strong and improving them, but do you really want to mess with all that? Maybe you do, but I think I am out on the charcoal gravity setups until they get a little further refined.

As of right now, I am really liking the Camp Chef "pro" series. Thats the woodwind pro and the XXL pro. These are pellet devices that also have a tray you can load up with wood chunks and/or charcoal and from what I have seen they are the closest thing yet to real stick burner taste with the ease of pellets. The woodwind is a pellet grill setup and the XXL is a pellet smoker setup. I personally am in the market for the XXL as I have just gone back to the old reliable Weber for my grilling needs and I don't need a pellet grill, I want something thats dedicated to smoking. Camp Chef is a good brand thats on par with the upper mid range type grills you see from Treager, pitboss pro, and others. I've heard of a few bugs they are still ironing out here and there on their new series but it seems incredibly appealing. I've been happy with my camp chef SG series for the past 4 years or so, but I've been tasting that smoke taste dragon ever since. I'm ready to move on to the XXL pro

#1645 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Many rental yards have stick smokers now.
    Rent one for the week, and make sure you enjoy tending the firebox all day, on a couple of extended cooks.

Definitely this. If you're gonna be burning wood, make sure you don't mind being tied down all day, tending to the fire, adjusting the damper, ect. Its a lot of work, but it is quite rewarding. I actually did enjoy it most of the time, but after I got my pellet grill, it was just so hard to actually motivate myself to keep going through with it. Once the smoke was rolling, it was just whatever, but actually committing to doing a cook on the stick burner when I knew I could just throw it in the pellet grill and go about my business (for the most part) was too tempting most of the time. Thats why the stick burner left and the pellet stayed!

#1691 10 months ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

I tried beef ribs from Costco over the holiday weekend. I used the Meat Church video he just posted. They came oit good for a cheap cut of meat. My wife and I didn't care for them when I made them years ago and had to chew them from the bone. It takes a lot of time so they are tender.
    [quoted image]

I don't think I would call beef back ribs cheap, I'd call them horrendously overpriced. They taste....fine...I guess. Too much work and money for a few tiny morsels of scrap meat. Theres a reason the butchers used to just throw this cut out. I'll never buy them again

#1697 10 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

If I was given these for free.. I’d use them for soup broth for a beef soup/stew.
    I’d prefer beef ribs. Never tried these from Costco and probably never will.

They'd be great for that. Excellent point. I don't know why, but theres always so much confusion around "beef ribs". I think because beef back ribs are much less common than beef spare ribs, plus you have all the variations on spare ribs like "dino ribs" and short ribs, and those like korean/mexican ones that are cut across the bone that are amazing. Beef back ribs, biggest rip off at the meat counter. Beef spare ribs, incredible!

Quoted from Viggin900:

The exact same thing can be said for pork ribs and look where we are at now. Same story.

I completely disagree. I mean, I see your point with these flimsy pork ribs (particularly baby backs) that are all over the place nowadays, but they are still 100 times better than beef back ribs. More meat and better flavor. The beef back ribs are barely a couple morsels of meat, theres nothing there and they charge the same or more than pork ribs. I'm just thankful that I'm finally finding somewhat decent deals on pork ribs again locally.

1 week later
    #1735 9 months ago

When your brisket reaches around 160, wrap it in a double layer of butcher paper and put it back in the smoker until its finished. I also reccomend slathering it up with beef tallow right before wrapping it. All my briskets have turned out incredible using this method.

#1739 9 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

where do You get Tallow ? a Butcher Shop ?Its something I have never had.

You can make it yourself, hell you can even use your trimmings from your brisket and put it in the smoker to make smoked tallow! I have used wagyu tallow that I bought on amazon a number of times as well. Thats real good stuff. A ton of uses for good tallow!

#1742 9 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Don't go off temp to wrap. Make sure your bark is set and remember the cow drives the cook. No absolutes for time and temp.

I actually agree 100%. If your bark isn't ready then don't wrap it! I've yet to have one that wasn't ready by ~160 degrees but I'll be the first to admit that your results may vary. Good point!

#1766 9 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

So… I’m wondering what things can I do to ensure the smoke tube stays lit?
    Strange. I use a blow torch at it, but realized the pellets look more burned (black) without getting them hot..
    [quoted image]

Use a mixture of pellets and wood chips. Or use all wood chips but its harder to pack everything tight with only wood chips. The wood chips will give you a much better smoke profile and will burn hot enough to keep the pellets in the tube burning as well.

Quoted from vid1900:

A Maz N is good if you have a gas grill and want to add some smoke flavor to your foods, or smoke something at a super low temperature like cheeses.

Its also good if you have a pellet grill and want to add some smoke flavor to your foods Actually I had 2 of them going in this smoke for 3 racks of ribs
    Snapchat-1344989474 (resized).jpgSnapchat-1344989474 (resized).jpg

#1768 9 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They sell small wood chips that you can mix with your pellets, that wont clog up the auger.
    I've never tried them, as my pellet grill can take wood, chips or charcoal , so I can't necessarily recommend - but it could be a fun experiment for someone
    https://lonestargrillz.com/collections/accessories/products/wood-chips
    [quoted image]

I've seen those but I don't trust them. They do say specifically for lonestar grills and IIRC lonestar has a proprietary pellet feed system. I'm not saying *not* to use them, but I wouldn't. You might be able to get away with it a few times but just seems like you're flirting with disaster on any auger with a sheer pin feed system that you find on the majority of pellet grills.

#1771 9 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Oooo… small wood chips mixed with pellets to put in a smoke tube seems like an easy winner for me.
    Putting the pellets in the microwave seems logical as well, but requires another step instead of pre-blending the smoke tube.
    I’ll try this concept first to see its performance.

I'm sorry to go all George Costanza on this one, but for the record, he suggested mixing them in your pellet hopper, which I don't recommend (unless you have a lonestar pellet grill). I recommended putting them in the smoke tube.

#1775 9 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

So the new Yeti cast iron pans are only $400.
    I can't wait to see them rusting is some rich guy's garage, next to his cooler.
    https://www.yeti.com/outdoor-living/cookware/22030000049.html[quoted image]

Jesus christ! At least it looks like a nice pan, with a smooth surface but you can buy really high end cast iron for a lot less than that. Lol definitely will be some rich yuppies using them once and letting them rust away

#1780 9 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

What if you got that $400 cast iron skillet as a door prize at a conference and want to sell. Imagaine even posting for $100 and getting laughed out. You need to have Griswold more than two figures.

I'd consider it for $100. Its not hard to spend $100 or more on a really good cast iron pan. Not that I necessarily believe you have to, or should, but its not out of the question. Hell, its not hard to spend $100 bucks on any actual high quality pan in general. A nice All Clad stainless skillet will pretty easily set you over $100, but they are a joy to cook with.

#1809 9 months ago

My friend's girlfriend graduated from her med classes and we threw a big party for her this weekend. I was asked to provide food so I cooked a few pork butts for pulled pork and also made a big pan of hotdog poor mans burnt ends. My other friend did a butt too which turned out great and my cousin did a chopped brisket which was awesome as well. Needless to say, all the guests were more than happy with all the food. Tons of compliments.

We had a wide variety of BBQ sauces to choose from and that was the interesting part to watch for me. There was sweet baby rays, voodoo child (which is good I do reccomend it), and famous daves of a few varieties. A lot of your standard grocery store style bbq sauces. I brought a bottle of what I consider the best BBQ sauce out there for smoked meats, particularly pulled pork- Capital City Mambo sauce. The mambo sauce was a giant hit. I should have brought another bottle because we burned through the one I brought before the day was over. It was the only one of the sauces that got used completely up. I had a ton of questions and compliments about that sauce in particular, it was a huge hit and I felt my opinion was more than validated.

I highly recommend this sauce for your next bbq meal. I think the sweet hot is the way to go. Its really not spicy at all, I think anyone could handle it. I did get a handful of "oo this sauce has a bit of a kick!" from some of the whitest of white people there but even they didn't think it was overpoweringly spicy. Everyone else said it was somewhere between very mild to "no spice". Try it out, you can get it on amazon and other places

355387965_798978128615434_6984949052404033925_n (resized).png355387965_798978128615434_6984949052404033925_n (resized).png
    #1819 9 months ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

More ribeyes tonight with the Weber 22” cast iron grate!Man this is a game changer.I realize I’m late to the party on this but damn what a difference Especially for that grate sale price (see what I did there) of $35 One less restaurant dinner!

Man I'm sad I missed out on the grates. I have been meaning to upgrade for a while

3 weeks later
    #1900 8 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I tried Kingsford, and it put out more ash than a welfare mother waiting in line to buy scratchers at the gas station.

Kingsford is the king of ash. Kingsford sucks. you're paying for a bunch of dirt when you buy kingsford.

edit- I just remembered a video that looks a little deeper into it from one of my favorite youtubers of all time:

Quoted from Bax1:

yeah I'm thinking the briquets are the problem. I ran masterbuilt lump the first few times but it burned quickly. was clean but gone quick. I might try jealous devil next time. but I dig this thing. I haven't touched my stick burner since I got this.

Everyone I know running gravity grills really prefer running lump over briquettes. I've never heard any of them complain about ashes flying everywhere. I've pretty much moved away from briquettes entirely these days no matter what I'm doing.

#1923 8 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Nothing says 'murica like Beer Can Chicken!
    But nowadays beer cans are coated with plastic inside and paint outside that put toxic fumes into your food.
    What you want is something made of unpainted stainless steel.
    -
    -
    Steven Raichlen Beer-Can Chicken Roaster Rack $11 (use secret code FCSR11 for discount and free shipping)
    https://lifestyle.focuscamera.com/home-and-kitchen/steven-raichlen-best-of-barbecue-sr8016-beer-can-chicken-roaster-rack-stainless-steel.html
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Beer can chicken is a myth.

https://nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm
    https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/beer-can-chicken-is-a-hoax-article
    https://amazingribs.com/bbq-techniques-and-science/beer-can-chicken/
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/beer-can-chicken_b_1634001
    https://smokingmeatgeeks.com/beer-can-chicken-good/
    https://www.foodfirefriends.com/beer-can-chicken-myths-and-better-recipe/

I get in arguments with hillbillies in FB groups over this all the time. Its pretty funny. Sorry, but I gotta believe the science

#1926 8 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Remember don't use cold beer (or whatever you put in the can) and only fill the can about 1/3 of the way
    Beer Can Chicken - Myth Or Fact?

Thats always everyones best retort. some hillrod unscientifically doing a taste test in his backyard. I've had plenty of beer can chicken. I've had plenty of roasted chicken. Sorry, I believe the science not some idiot in his backyard. Its bullshit.

move over vax controversy, we've got a new problem on our hands. Beer can chicken!

#1943 8 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:I just laugh when the BBQ hillbilly scientists say that liquid has to boil to evaporate.
    I always think of how they evaporate sea salt just on the shore in ponds, or how the 'evaporation dish' around your houseplants evaporates just fine at 65*f.
    (of course, even ice evaporates; slowly)
    ....and when you evaporate something, doesn't all the flavor stay behind in concentrate, and just the water vapor leave?

Admitting you're wrong is hard. I get it. You believe something to be true for so long, its hard to accept the reality. Not the first time I've been through this. Enjoy your roasted chicken with a can up its butt. I have no doubt its delicious, as I've enjoyed many myself.

Quoted from RyanStl:

What's the myth? Like anything if temp and time are properly controlled the chicken is going to taste good. Back when I did this I never wasted a beer though, just put in water. Did the bird get more moist? Who knows, but chicken was good and people thought it was cool. I no longer go through the hassle.

The myth is a mulitude of things. The beer adds flavor. The beer makes the chicken more moist. The beer makes the chicken more tender. All that kind of stuff. In reality the can does nothing, you're just making a roasted chicken, which will be delicious with or without the can.

Quoted from mcluvin:

Have any of you folks done Picanha? I've been seeing it pop up on some of my smoker groups and it looks really good. Local grocery and butcher want ~$13/lb for it. Too rich for my blood. My Costco has started carrying it at ~$7.50/lb, so I grabbed some.

Yes I do Picanha quite often. Great cut of meat. You can actually find it pretty easily at costco (not sure of the standard price off the top of my head) under the name "Sirloin cap". Not to be confused with "ribeye cap" (which is phenominal), or "sirloin no cap" which you'll also find there, so read your labels carefully. The sad thing about the costco ones is that they don't leave the fat cap on and they are pre-cut. Still a good source if you can't find it elsewhere. Anyway, I think they work best on the grill done hot and fast. You can do them on the smoker and they are really good too. Either way you cook them pretty similar to any other steak. I have seen guys use one of those vertical skewer things to smoke them but I've yet to try that. Pull off your heat around 125 degrees or so depending on how rare you like them, sear, and rest. Good stuff. Serve with some chimichurri to really complete the experience!

#1953 8 months ago

Anyone ever ordered meat online before? Specifically from Snake River Farms? My work was nice enough to get me a hell of a gift certificate from there. My order just showed up yesterday. I got a wagyu brisket, tri tip, picanha, some ground beef/beef patties, skirt steak, and hot dogs all "american wagyu". I got some of their fancy pork too. Karobuta. Some bacon, spare ribs and a pork loin that I'll cut into pork chops. Really excited to get cooking some of this. I have seen their wagyu though and it looks nothing even close to Japanese wagyu. I'm sure it'll still be good. Not sure what to expect with the pork. Is this Kurobuta pork really anything special? The spare ribs are tiny compared to what I am used to finding at the store. Regardless, I'm sure everything will be phenomenal but I'm wondering if the huge cost of buying online will be worth it when its not a gift.

#1955 8 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Of course I've gotten boxes of Omaha Steaks from my employers.
    I've also gotten ButcherBox crates and they are excellent.
    I can't wait to see some pics of your Wagyu marbling. Did it have a grade?

They only have 2 "grades". Black label, and gold label, with the latter being their most high quality. I got all black label stuff. Apparently the black label has a BMS score of 6 or above, and the gold label is 9-12 on the BMS scale. They also had regular USDA choice and prime available. I wish I had gotten some normal steaks, as that would show the marbling better and in a more familiar way than most of what I ordered, but I just wanted to get some of the more special cuts. I know I have seen some pictures of the American Wagyu and thought to myself that I've had good choice cuts with more marbling but I guess we'll see. Supposedly the claim to fame here is the american cattle are crossbred with the Japanese cattle to create a steak that has the bold beefy flavor of US beef but with extra marbling from the Japanese side. Is it all marketing hype? Maybe! I plan on cooking the Tri-tip this weekend. I will be sure to post up some pics! Either way, I don't plan on being disappointed.

#1958 8 months ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

SRF used to be a premier supplier for ultra premium, best-of-the-best prime cuts, and you PAID for it. Leaps and bounds better than OS, quality wise.
    Haven't seen any of their stuff featured in competitions or used by any of the local pit guys in years, however, probably because of the much wider availability of prime cuts that used to be earmarked for restaurants now being available through different channels to the general public.
    10 years ago, you'd see SRF packer boxes at bbq comps (i.e. guys paying $600 for a wagyu brisket overnighted packed in ice packs), but I haven't seen those in a long time. No idea if their quality has slipped, but they used to be good when they were much smaller.

Thank you, this is great info! Now I'm really looking forward to some of my future meals. Maybe I'll think about putting in some orders on my own dime for a special occasion if it really knocks my socks off.

Quoted from vid1900:

If you have been paying $4 for the little 3oz bottles of Montreal Steak Seasoning, here is 7 POUNDS on sale today for $20
    I don't think I could make it myself in the USA for that price!
    3,963 servings per container
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D8TWEE
    [quoted image]
    I would probably bag and freeze this, or split with some friends at church.
    Of course, it will be a miracle if Amazon can deliver this without the heavy weight cracking the plastic cap and all the spices spilling out into the un-padded box.

Montreal steak awesome. I don't care if its not proper or not, I will absolutely use it even on a good steak pretty often. I actually like it a lot on ribs too. Season ribs with montreal steak seasoning, then use sweet chili sauce at the end instead of BBQ sauce. Some of the best ribs I've ever had I made that way.

#1963 8 months ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

If only this was Holy Voodoo

Man I gotta say, after all the hype, Holy Voodoo let me down. I don't much care for it. I do quite like Holy Cow though!

#1970 8 months ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I used McCorrmicks smokehouse maple but the wife and kids did the Holy Voodoo.What is the Holy Cow good on?

Its really good on any beef or pork, hell its pretty good on everything tbh. Holy VooDoo is just Their Voodoo and Holy Cow rubs mixed together. The holy cow is just a lot more black peppery and way less sweet. The sweetness level in holy voodoo is what I don't like so much, but I can see why it would appeal to many. Speaking of McCormicks, I am in love with their applewood rub. Some of that rub on a pork chop then sprinkled with Holy Cow, is awesome!

I think I'm mostly through my "try every rub I can" phase now. I'm just trying to get through my last 15ish bottles of random seasonings. I think my keepers will be Slap Ya Mamma (hot), Montreal Steak, McCormick Applewood, Holy Cow, and thats probably about it. Everything else I need I will just make myself as I keep a good stock of various seasoning staples in my cupboard at all times.

#1972 8 months ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Are you referring to this one:[quoted image]

Yep thats the one. I like having that around. Its really nothing super special. Just a cajun seasoning, but its good and its readily available at grocery stores around me. They have a hot sauce too thats pretty decent.

#1988 8 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Black anodized pot of water was 110*f in the sun, side vede took it to 140 for 2.5 hours[quoted image]

I've yet to try sous vide for chicken. I don't know why. Add that to my "to do soon" list

#1990 8 months ago

This weekend I tried out the wagyu tri-tip. I had intended to marinate it in mojo but I chickened out at the last minute. Seemed really stupid to do with such a special and expensive cut of meat. Quick rub with Maggi Jugo (basically liquid MSG with a umami flavoring) and a healthy sprinkle of Holy Cow. Seared it over some screaming hot lump charcoal then let it sit in the smoke with mesquite chunks added in. Of course some bacon wrapped asparagus for a "healthy" side dish and some sautéed mushrooms and onions to go along with it.

Turned out great. Really really deep beefy flavor and so freakin juicy and TENDER. I wish I had taken a picture of the meat before seasoning. Very beautiful cut of meat. Certainly not A5 levels but it looked really nice. Would I spend $80 on one again? Probably not. Despite it easily being the best tri-tip I've ever had, for 18-25 bucks at the grocery store I just don't see the extra ~60 dollars in value. Maybe for a real special occasion. Still though, ZERO regrets and it was incredible!

20230730_170624 (resized).jpg20230730_170624 (resized).jpg20230730_173159 (resized).jpg20230730_173159 (resized).jpg

#1999 7 months ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

For Beer Can Chicken I do not recommend injecting beer into it. I tried this 2 times because it makes sense adding beer flavor and moisture like the can is supposed to. Well the beer flavor becomes way to overpowering in the chicken. And I love beer but it was too much for me even. I did combine it with Oktoberfest chicken rub for the ultimate meal but was too salty tasting. Bud Light is dirt cheap,maybe I will try brining it next time?

Yeah sorry, if you tasted any beer flavor it was all in your head, or a byproduct of your rub. Also the liquid in the can does not add moisture to your chicken. Beer can chicken is a myth and the can in there changes nothing, no matter what its a can of

#2002 7 months ago

Everyone is cooking tri-tips right now. Ya love to see it. Looks amazing, I bet she got a lot of smoke in there *drool*

#2011 7 months ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Yeah sorry, you didnt read my post. It says I "injected it." And you most definitly taste it.You even downvoted me by forming an opinion by glazing over what I wrote? Wtf?

Ah you're right. I'm just easily triggered by beer can chicken these days. My apologies. Don't inject your roasted chickens (because beer can chicken is a myth) with beer, I can agree with you on that

#2028 7 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

https://gear.bethesda.net/products/doom-slayer-apron
    Doom Slayer Apron - Unisex $15
    Get your FPS action going as you grill.
    100% cotton, so no synthetic fibers to melt into your skin during a blast.
    (Says **unisex**, but I'm pretty sure this apron was born a female)[quoted image][quoted image]

Lol thats so dope, I wish I didn't already have a nice apron that I barely use (because I'm an idiot)

#2044 7 months ago
    Quoted from Cudaman:

Question for those who have smoked Brisket on a pellet grill. Do you use Butcher paper or foil to wrap your brisket at 160-175⁰ (all depends how the bark looks)? I have heard butcher paper works better as you can still get smoke through the paper. May not cook as fast though.
    As for Ace, I'm a rewards member and didn't get any coupons. What the hell?

I use butcher paper and swear by it for brisket. Foil traps too much steam in there and hurts the bark IMO. Also I would say wrap when your bark is set the way you like it, not wrap at a certain temp (although usually those temps are about the time the bark is ready). I smear wagyu beef tallow all over my brisket (bonus points if you let it smoke for a while beforehand), wrap it up and back in the pellet grill until it hits my target temp. After that I leave it wrapped and rest it 4-8 hrs. More than that if I can. My brisket always gets RAVE reviews. Even my buddy from Texas says its the best brisket hes had.

#2047 7 months ago
    Quoted from Kevlar51:

Smoke doesn't ruin the taste at all, but I've been much happier with pizzas made in my Ooni than my KJ.

The smoke makes them better, like an actual wood fire pizza (AKA the best pizza IMO) but I haven't tried the Ooni

#2050 7 months ago
    Quoted from Budman:

What is your process ? Times/ temps.

Trim as you like. I do a thin layer of Maggi Jugo (or regular maggi) then just lowry's seasoning salt and pepper with maybe a light second coating of holy cow or other beef rub but honestly I try not to go too overboard with my brisket rubs, particularly on a pellet grill where I feel the smoke is already lacking and excess rub blocks the smoke. The Maggi sauce is completely optional but I like it and consider it my secret weapon. Does it actually do anything? Maybe not, I don't know, I've just always done it like that. I usually run around 225 degrees or so, but you could start low with more smoke and bump up the temp after a little while. I personally do 225 along with 2 smoke tubes.

Once shes rolling I basically don't touch it until my bark is set and I'm around 170ish degrees. If I can tell the fat is rendering well and my bark is looking nice, I pull the brisket off and set it on butcher paper. I take a nice scoop of wagyu tallow and just slather it all over the meat. Give it a nice little coating. Like, it doesn't have be thick but just a nice little layer. Then I wrap it all up with the butcher paper and keep things rolling at 225. You can turn your smoke setting down now if you want to help conserve pellets because you're not going to absorb anymore smoke anyway. Then she sits in there until around 200 degrees internal. Pull it, then at that point I put it in a cooler with an old blanket or towl on top and just let it rest for several hours. I've gone over 8 hours with this method and it was still piping hot when I took it out. I suppose you could wrap it in foil (while its still in the butcher paper) if you don't want stuff dripping everywhere. Once shes rested and we're ready to eat I'll pull it out and slice it properly and enjoy!

Time obviously will depend but it takes a long time. expect 12-14 hours and maybe more for cooking. I do a brisket for my fantasy draft most years, and I usually get it started cooking like 10pm the night before and let it go overnight. Hopefully it goes without trouble while you sleep, and will be ready for wrapping first thing in the morning. If your pellet grill doesn't let you down its pretty easy, 225 the whole time, check it periodically, wrap it, finish it, rest it, enjoy it.

#2053 7 months ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Question for those who’ve used Slap yo mama Cajun hot.Is this a good rub for chicken breast?

Yes its one of my favorites for chicken breast!

Quoted from vid1900:

If you are going to sleep, or out and about, always remember to set the Limits Alarms to wake you if the temperature goes above 300 or below 200*f

Good god yes, please have things in place to alert you if things go haywire. I can't imagine how shitty it would be to wake up in the morning only to find you had a flame out or something during the night and your brisket (or anything you're cooking) was sitting in the danger zone for hours and having to toss it out.

#2075 7 months ago
    Quoted from Cudaman:

Appreciate the insight. The trouble I'm running into is trying to find a Prime brisket. Costco only carries Choice now, and the local butcher only carriers flats. Ridiculous! Hoping Hyvee can help me...but it will cost me!
    Thinking of injecting with this recipe
    Anyone got anything better?
    [quoted image]

I've heard people injecting choice briskets with wagyu tallow with good results

I personally disagree with vid on this one. There's a pretty big difference in a quality brisket vs a lower quality one in my experience. I've seen similar results in tons of head to head comparisons online too. That being said, not all choice briskets are created equal. Sometimes you get lucky and get a really nice choice cut of meat.

#2083 7 months ago

Yes I highly reccomend not wasting any trim if you can help it.

Anyway, here's what i have on the grill today: tacos el pastor! Been wanting to try this for a while so I guess today is the day. Unfortunately I can't clear the top of my grill with the whole pineaple top on it so this picture was strictly just to look cool. Toward the end of the cook I'll be throwing some pineapple on the kettle grill to get it charred up, along with my tortillas. I have a bunch of fresh onion and cilantro and some nice salsa I made for toppings. Another 2 hrs or so to go until I get to try them!

20230820_144813 (resized).jpg20230820_144813 (resized).jpgSnapchat-1416467350 (resized).jpgSnapchat-1416467350 (resized).jpg
    #2096 7 months ago
    Quoted from Gorgar123:

Well...how were they?
    I love me some El Pastor but I have never really thought about trying to make it myself. Can you share the recipe?

They were great! I always struggle with recipes because more often than not, my cooking style is really just winging it. I eyeball everything, I throw random stuff in sometimes, ect. It just works for me. That being said, I used sort of a hybrid of the "hey grill hey" (famous al pastor recipe) and "sam the cooking guy" (Youtuber) recipes. I cooked up some Ancho and Guajillo chile's, threw them in the blender with about 1/4-half the water. Few cloves of garlic, anchiote paste, the juice of a full orange, bunch of cilantro, a whole onion, adobo seasoning, cumin, black pepper, and I grow hot peppers so I threw in a reaper and a 2 or 3 habaneros from my garden but that is optional obviously. I think that was basically what I used. Blended that all together to make the marinade. Then I took a pork shoulder and cut it into flat pieces and marinated them overnight. Next day I stacked them on a skewer and cooked at 250-275 for about 4 hrs. After that you just slice pieces off and fill up your taco shell. I grilled some pineapple to put on there as well as onion and cilantro.

I also made a nice salsa/sauce with tomatillo and a couple big handfuls of chile de arbol boiled, then threw them in the blender along with an onion, cilantro, couple cloves of garlic, and a few tablespoons (I guess? lol again, I just wing it) of powdered chicken bullion. The mexican at work gave me this recipe and its awesome. Of course I threw a couple more of my peppers in there to spice it up even more.

Yours look awesome too, Bax1!

#2111 7 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Costco is generally not the best brisket price, but they are chopping out another $10 this week.[quoted image]

Dang. My costco didn't have this deal this weekend. Only sirloin for an extra $10 taken off. Currently thawing my SRF wagyu brisket for my fantasy football draft party on Friday!

#2113 7 months ago

SRF wagyu brisket is on the pellet grill. Gonna run her overnight. Wish me luck!

20230831_234706 (resized).jpg20230831_234706 (resized).jpg
    #2142 6 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Not one, but two smoke tubes!! I'll need to try this for my next brisket.
    Did you light them both at the same time or space it apart to ensure smoke coverage for longer period?

I light them both at the same time. Anything I can do to get some reasonable smoke flavor out of my pellet grill.

Sorry fellas but I didn't snap any pics of my finished brisket but I can assure you it turned out awesome. All my friends loved it as well. I got really worried because it finished in about 12 hrs and it was around 18 lbs. Thats so quick, I was afraid something was wrong. I doubled checked my pellet grill's probe with my thermpro and it was spot on, and also probe tender. I said screw it and pulled it off, wrapped up and rested for a good 8 hrs. Maybe just the fact it was so marbled with fat? I don't know. It was on overnight at about 185, I did bump it up around 220 once I wrapped it. It turned out awesome though, took me forever to clean my cutting board it was so soaked with juices and rendered fat. Got a good amount left over too, vac sealed it and put it in the freezer. Enough for a big pot of chili or 3-4 big sandwiches. Always nice to have quality cooked brisket around basically ready to go!

#2146 6 months ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

Sounds awesome. Personally I've not good luck freezing cooked brisket. It tends to be mush upon thawing. YMMV

I've never had any trouble. I don't thaw it per se, I just throw my vac sealed bag into a pot of boiling water until everything inside is nice and hot. When I open it up its almost like it just came off the smoker.

#2159 6 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I have a $60 Inkbird, but looks like no longer available on Amazon. I would just try any with free returns in that range from Amazon.
    I paid more for the high qualiy Anova tub wich was $70. It had big rounded edges, a rack, and lid. No longer availabe again.
    Sorry, my help is shit.
    This is the Anova tub, but looks like only available with the combo:
    https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Precision-Immersion-Circulator-Container/dp/B0BW7V2341/ref=sr_1_18

I also have the inkbird. I'm surprised its not available anymore, its worked well for me and even has WIFI as well as physical controls.
    I recommend getting a good container as well. I have one but I forget the brand but its nice and works well. I modified some cheap tote from the store to handle bigger items like roasts and if I ever wanted to do a brisket or butt, its kinda weak and janky but it does work. I have seen people use coolers before too and thats also probably fine if you can keep the sous vide stable. I have seen some pressure cooker type deals be able to sous vide as well. I have a ninja air frier/pressure cooker all in one that does it but I haven't tested it. Its not as prescise as a stand alone unit but in the tests I've seen it should work fine for smaller items. Just mentioning that in case maybe you already have one at home with a sous vide function and you didn't realize it.

#2161 6 months ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:

Cheap, cheerful and tasty spit roast bbq chicken. Sprinkled some Slap ya Mama seasoning at the start and Basted bbq sauce (Bulls-eye) near the end and also put the charcoal underneath at the end to crisp up.
    Good old Weber kettle with a third party electric spit roast added, so good.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

oh man that looks awesome

1 week later
    #2235 6 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

So, I substituted white onion with red. I did 1.5 lbs of beef and Turkey Italian sausage.
    I also added:
    - 1 Tbls of Meat Church Holy Gospel and 1 Tbls of Dark Coffee Roast.
    - 1 can condensed Mushroom soup with 1/2 cup milk
    Smoked for about 2 hours at 225.
    Instead of Velveeta you can use sharp cheddar cheese. This time I did not add any beans.
    Endless possibilities
    [quoted image]

I've made some similar smoked queso but I used Chorizo and seasoned ground beef, huge hit at my party!

Quoted from RyanStl:

Lately when we go through a jar of dill pickles I use the brine to brine chicken for a couple days. I rinse them oven bake. Kids love it, tastes like Chic fill a

Excellent tip. I like to brine my wings in a combo of milk and picklejuice. Sounds disgusting but it turns chicken awesome!

Yesterday I did some pork tenderloins with one of my favorite homemade sauce/glaze/marinade/whatever you want to call it. It's basically a few different types of mustard, a lot of fresh garlic, and some Italian herbs. Its a weird concoction but man is it tasty!

Snapchat-1401359822 (resized).jpgSnapchat-1401359822 (resized).jpg
    #2237 6 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Aldi this week has Lillie's #65 Ivory BBQ sauce (Northern Alabama White) $3
    Half the price of buying it from Lillie's
    https://lilliesq.com/products/ivory
    [quoted image]

That is a killer deal, is it only the ivory? I like some of the other Lillie's flavors but I can't get into the ivory

#2247 6 months ago

I save a lot of my trim for ground beef now. I don't have a grinder (yet) but mostly frozen and cut into chunks my food processor does a great job. I got a big ol bag of ground brisket from my last brisket now, but I think the fat content is way too high. I have some eye of round I'm turning into jerky this weekend so I plan on using my trim from that to cut into my brisket ground beef. Maybe next time I'm at the store and find a manager's special on a cheap lean cut of meat I might pick that up to add to it too.

#2272 6 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Would be perfect injection for your next briskets, stock, gravy, dog food, etc.!

Yeah, I don't mean to be rude to PinJim but his brisket looked extremely dry. I'm not sure if it was a product of the sous vide or the smoke, but I would say that brisket could have benefitted quite a bit from an injection. Normally when I cut my briskets open the whole cutting board is flooded with juices, even after resting for 8+ hrs. I would have maxed out on those burnt ends though, they looked great!

#2276 6 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

No offense taken.
    I don't get juices running out of my brisket. Never have, so now I have a new goal. A few thoughts....
    After the sous vide, I typically go straight to the smoker. I know some suggest a rest in the fridge, maybe that'd make the brisket re-absorb some of the lost juices?
    Also, I trim a lot / most of the fat off. Maybe that's a mistake.
    Regardless, the brisket isn't overly dry. So far, nobody has complained. But certainly it isn't running with juices.
    The burnt ends are always the best part. Over the weekend, company preferred them over the flat. But that's typical, they melt in your mouth. Months ago I made a brisket / burnt ends when we had some friends and their kids over. I walked upstairs at some point in the evening and their 9 year old son was in our kitchen devouring the burnt ends, lol. I took it as a compliment! =)

I do usually slather my briskets in tallow so obviously that is a big source of all the run off, but I know its not only that because the meat itself seems to have juices just dripping out of it like crazy too. I do a decent amount of trimming on my briskets, but competition guys do a lot more than that even so I don't know if I'd place the blame there either, unless maybe you're taking off a majority of the fat cap. Even then I'm not too sure, since I don't really buy the notion that the rendered fat soaks into the meat. Maybe its just a choice brisket and its a little lean on the inside (I still stick by my opinion that buying a higher quality brisket is usually worth it). I wish I could give some further advice, but I don't have too many tips because that style of cooking brisket is one I haven't tried yet. I almost wonder if pulling it from the sous vide, then giving it a good sear on a charcoal grill might be better than putting it in a smoker after the sous vide. You could even let it ride in the grill smoke for a little bit after the sear. Maybe you could also try injecting some of that sous vide juice back into the brisket before you throw it back in the smoker, I bet that would do quite a bit of good.

1 week later
    #2312 5 months ago

I just have to get this off my chest. I really don't care when people do this, and even I am guilty of saying it myself sometimes, but for whatever reason it really annoys me when people call their pellet grill a smoker. Its a pellet grill, not a smoker. It CAN smoke, but it is not a smoker. Just like my Weber can smoke but its also not a smoker. Pellet grills- jacks of all trades, master of none (except convivence maybe). Anyway, thats just my weird hangup, carry on!

#2315 5 months ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

Aren't they all just different forms of ovens?

I mean....I guess, in the sense they all cook food in a heated enclosed space. Honestly a pellet grill is closer to an oven than a smoker is. Either way, it would also bother me if anyone called their grill or smoker an oven lol

#2324 5 months ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Don't know if I'd go that far. I know people who have medaled at large BBQ comp's using pellet grills. If the judges don't know/care, why should us pleebs?
    Matter of fact, my GC is deciding to take 5 months to do my "2 month" home renovation, so I haven't had a full kitchen since mid-August. I only got my range hooked up 2 days ago (still no microwave), so for 6 weeks I could only make hot foods on either my Weber grill or my Pit Boss pellet, but the latter is much easier to maintain temps. Never tried so many new things on the pellet grill out of necessity, but was nice to impart smoke flavor into things that normally wouldn't.
    A buddy down the street runs a BBQ food truck. He does a killer job. I'll still put what comes out of my Pit Boss against his giant ass smokers any day of the week. Did a no-wrap, no injection 10lb pork shoulder last week. One of my favorite shoulders I've done to date. Tonight is a tri-tip cooked brisket style.

I honestly don't judge the merit of a grills or smokers capabilities on if they can win BBQ competitions or not. Competition BBQ is freakin weird man. Its a lot about the presentation, getting a judge to bite the peice of meat just right, and all kinds of weird stuff that doesn't even apply to the method of cooking. I have seen several competition pellet grills and many of them have extra features built in to help with the smoke. Regardless, it would not shock me that somebody could win a competition on a bone stock Traeger, a damn weber kettle, a cheap ass offset, or a custom built smoking rig. The simple fact of the matter is you give up a lot for the convience of a pellet grill. Lets not forget, I sold my offset and kept my pellet. But yeah, sometimes I sure do miss the food that came off my offset! Even forgetting all that, forgetting all the weird shit I just said, at the end of the day theres a reason they call it a pellet GRILL, and have a separate device called a pellet smoker.

Quoted from vid1900:

To me, a pellet smoker is the best at one thing: keeping the smoking temperature between 175 and 225 .
    I can hold the temperature @ 200*f for 30 hours, without waking up or tending the coals.
    I can peek in, or add more items without any dip in temperature. (No worries about "if you're looking it's not cooking" nonsense)
    Sure I have my big reverse flow offset when I have to show off at the city BBQ festival, but I almost never use it for personal smoking.

I'm with you 100% on everything you just said!

#2348 5 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I refer to my BGE's as smokers when I'm using them as much. Pellet grills are smokers. There are a bunch of kinds of smokers, including electric type.

Yes there's electric smokers, but pellet grills aren't one of them, despite their ability to smoke. They do make pellet smokers. Those aren't pellet grills, they are smokers. Lol like I said, I really don't care that much, it's just a problem with my weird brain. Call it a smoker if you want, you're just wrong

#2361 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

Lot of dexter also.

Yep I used to try and be cool and buy all these fancy knives. No more. Vixtorinox, Mercer, and Dexter Russel are the way to go. I have a DR slicing knife and its awesome. Razor sharp and it was like 25 bucks. I also have a DR trimming knife, and I was disappointed with it at first, didn't seem as sharp as I was expecting. Ran it over my steel a couple times and the thing is like a katana sword now. Plus my lazy ass can toss em in the dishwasher and I really don't care.

#2363 5 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

For me at least, the dishwasher is the kiss of death for my knives. It dulls them very quickly.
    I bought this knife last week after years of doing briskets, pork butts, etc. with a crappy kitchen knife (albeit a sharp one). I'm itching to try it on brisket since there's so much trimming involved.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CF94L

Yes, I do not condone putting your knives in the dishwasher. I do it but I'm not smart. You shouldn't be like me. I just refuse to hand wash pretty much anything that isn't cast iron, and so far my knives have stayed very sharp through many trips through the dishwasher, although your results may vary. The good news is, if they do get dull, I won't feel bad having somebody do a quick grind on them and I don't have to sit around with a whetstone getting my edge back, and worst case scenario they are junk but I only paid 30 bucks for them, vs hundreds or more for fancy Shun's or Wusthof's or any of those yuppie knives.

#2380 5 months ago

30 seconds to wash a knife is like 300% more time than putting it in the dishwasher

Lol but seriously, hand wash your knives. Don't be like me.

#2399 5 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:Can't tell, blah blah...I would have paid the 50 cents, but I also fly in A5 because I can tell the difference. I support 100% everyone doing what their taste and budget support, it's all good. I look forward to some #grillporn

I agree. I get the argument that brisket is a low end cut of meat making the grade not matter as much, but I disagree. Since it is so shitty, you want as much fat and marbling as possible in there to keep it moist and juicy. I too would have paid the extra 50 cents per pound for the prime. I've gotten choice briskets that were pretty good and some that were subpar, all my prime briskets have been incredible. Now that I've had american wagyu brisket, I will say the price difference there isn't really worth it, but it was still amazing. For an extra 50 cents/lb it is worth it in my book.

2 weeks later
    #2433 5 months ago

I finally got around to trying the kurobuta pork I got from SRF. First time trying Kurobuta and holy moley that's good stuff! It was just a little pork roast I cut into a few pork chops. I've never seen pork chops cook like this before. It was juicy and sizzling like bacon while it was on the grill. The taste was incredible. Easily the best pork chops I've ever tasted, and I've tasted some darn good ones! I'd even go as far as saying kurobuta pork is a much better improvement over standard pork than wagyu is over regular beef. Seriously, very impressive. So good!

20231027_170614 (resized).jpg20231027_170614 (resized).jpgSnapchat-500731976 (resized).jpgSnapchat-500731976 (resized).jpg
    #2440 5 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Last but not least, all packaged up. Yield was 13.75 pounds, or (18) 12oz packages plus 4oz left over.
    Boring post, I know. Hoping to help others in mass food prep as it’s very economical. We’ll eat a package or two per week, so this will last many months. Then, rinse and repeat.[quoted image][quoted image]

I love vac sealing my excess pulled pork and keeping portions around. Its so versatile. Make tacos with it. Throw it in some chili. Italian pork (instead of beef). It's so nice to have on standby

#2459 5 months ago

Vacuum sealer and a bidet are 2 of the best purchases I've ever made in my life where they were things I didn't really know I needed, but now I wonder how I ever lived without them.

#2471 4 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

As promised… price of Butt roast from Walmart. Better, but shit still expensive.
    [quoted image]

Sheesh, if that was the price of pork butt, I wouldn't be cooking pork butt. As Vid mentioned, thats brisket pricing! I do still see it for 0.99/lb but thats pretty rare. $1.50 or under is not uncommon around these parts though.

1 week later
    #2506 4 months ago

The safety guidelines for meats including pork and poultry are all based on time. The 165 degree recommendation for chicken is the temp at which the harmful bacteria are basically instantly neutralized. If a chicken has been at 155 degrees (for example) for many a couple hours its perfectly safe to eat. In fact, I think the actual safe cooking time at 155 is like 5 minutes (EDIT- Its actually 50 seconds). Chicken is way better when its a little "undercooked"

I wish I could find the nice diagram I saw one time that laid out the times at which temp are required to kill off the bacteria, but its a surprisingly low amount of time even at lower temps.

Edit- Found it. Excellent breakdown of why sous vide chicken is safe even if its under the 165 degree threshold and why. Plus it has the handy chart explaining the time it takes to kill off the pathogens rendering the food safe. Technically you could safely eat medium rare chicken if you were so inclined

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast

And here is a more in depth and comprehensive explanation and breakdown from the FSIS/USDA if you want to have a look:
    https://www.fsis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media_file/2021-12/Appendix-A.pdf

#2517 4 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

Made some beef ribs too.
    [quoted image]

They do look good, but man F beef ribs. I will never buy them again. Way too expensive and too much work for a couple morsels of meat. Admittedly the meat IS good, but its not like...mind blowingly good by any means. Its nothing special. I should specify, beef back ribs. Beef short rib is awesome no matter how its cooked!

#2520 4 months ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

There will be some sous vide tomorrow![quoted image]

Mmmm skirt and tri-tip. 2 of my favorites. Excellent taste you have sir! Curious to see how the Flank does in sous vide. Never thought to try that

#2523 4 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

Youre right, not much meat and very greasy too, but a LOT of flavor. The butcher at my local Kroger likes to smoke meat too, actually gave me the ribs for 9 bucks instead of the 18 dollar sticker, he said, throw these on too with your brisket, take pics and let me know how they turned out. What I actually did might upset some of you...I cut all the greasy rib meat off the bone, cut up some of the brisket, fried up some ground beef and made a slow cook crock pot chilli overnight...best damn chill Ive ever made by faar, my daughter demanded we pack it in a thermos for her school lunch!

9 bucks isn't bad, I'd consider them at that price. The chili sounds freakin awesome!

#2526 4 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

We just did some beef ribs this week. I'm kind of underwhelmed also.

Only time I even mess with them anymore if when I'm cutting up a ribeye roast. I keep the bones and smoke em for something to nibble on while something else is going, or I make stock with them. Speaking of stock, do any of you guys ever make your own stock? For a while I was keeping all my bones and veggie scraps and when I had enough I'd put everything in my instant pot (because I'm lazy and don't feel like spending 16 hrs tending to a pot all day) and make a nice stock. Once I strain it and scrape off any fat, I transfer everything into ice cube trays. I let the stock freeze into little ice cubes and put them in a bag in my freezer. Any time I need stock, I grab a few ice cubes and I'm ready to go! I haven't done it in a while but I probably will once winter comes in full swing, since its easier to freeze the ice cub trays in my garage than in my freezer.

#2529 4 months ago
    Quoted from Lostcause:

WTF, how cold does it get in your garage!
    Good idea by the way.

Lol pretty much the temp of the outdoors. I ain't got one of them fancy heated or insulated gee-rages. Really the easy part is that usually my freezer is packed pretty full and I don't particularly like having ice cub trays full of stock sloshing around until they freeze. I can just set like 6 trays or whatever up on my workbench and they all freeze that way

#2534 4 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Speaking of... just went to my local Albertsons to ask what quality of meat is the Prime Rib they are selling on sale as it was not stated in the advertainment.
    Answer: Select at $6.99 lb.
    Further ask how much for Choice...
    Answer: $11.99 lb. The guy claimed Albertsons is making 0 profit at that rate.
    Lastly, how much for Prime version.
    Answer: $32.00 lb. WTF.
    Hot damn....... Left the store speechless and without a slab of meat.

Is it weird I have not seen select grade beef at any store I've ever been to. At least one where I might have the possibility of buying meat (Like for example maybe dollar general has some steaks in a cooler, but I'd never buy a steak from DG so I didn't pay attention)

Honestly 12 bucks/lb is not a terrible price for choice prime rib these days, at least in my area. I'd consider the $7/lb select but I'd be cutting it up for things like cheese steaks and stir frys and fajitas.

#2563 4 months ago
    Quoted from jamieflowers:

Buy the whole rib roast, then you get ribeyes AND ribs for one price

Thats exactly what I do

1 week later
    #2656 3 months ago

I've always wanted to try over the top chili but I'm worried about so much dang oil. I have iron guts but that just sounds like way too much lube

#2658 3 months ago

Speaking of knives. I finally got myself (what I hope to be) a respectable knife sharpener. Call it a Christmas present for myself. Its the Worksharp Ken Onion edition. I've only dabbled with it a tiny bit so far on some of my junkiest cheap knives but it seems neat. I don't want to try any of my nicer knives until I have a better grasp on what I'm doing. Vid, or anyone with knife sharpening experience, any input on this machine?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJ9CQKA

#2660 3 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I don't have any experience with that, but it looks like it would work.
    Does it come with a leather strop to finish with, or do you just use a piece of brown cardboard?

No strop. That thought has crossed my mind. I'd been wanting one regardless. I didn't know cardboard was an option. So far I've just ran it up and down my honing rod a couple times to "finish" it but I don't even know if thats doing anything tbh since I know thats not really the function of a honing rod

#2678 3 months ago

All that stuff looks awesome vid but man I REALLY want to have a taste of that tenderloin. Your guests will be in for a treat!

1 week later
    #2722 3 months ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Okay... forgot to take an after photo, but for those who have an vertical electric smoker how much of an opening do you leave at the top for the smoke?
    It seems I over smoked my chicken and placed a nice bark on the skin.
    Do you leave it fully open?
    Also, I added a smoke tube instead of using the Wood chips. Maybe I need to have it fully open with the Smoke tube within the smoker.

I don't have any experience with the electric smokers but I can tell you in all my experience with stick burners you always left the smoke stack fully open.

#2733 3 months ago

I thawed out a rack of baby back ribs that I planned to cook for dinner last night. Problem was, I knew I wasn't going to be around all day to keep an eye on everything. I decided to get wild and sous vide the ribs. I looked up some recipes online and they varied WILDLY. Everything from 36 hrs to 4 hours in the bath and all kinds of different temps. I decided to just kind of round everything together and I set the cooker to 170 degrees. They were in the bath for approximately 7 hours or so I'd say. I should also mention I split the rack in half, just so it would fit in my normal container.

Anyway, I pulled them out and honestly I didn't have high hopes. They seemed to have almost no bend. Seemed like they were going to be tough and still needed a lot more cooking. The long bath times and the kinds of temps they reach inside my smoker were whirling in my head but I decided it was too late to stop now. If I had to eat tough ribs then so be it.

Fire up the charcoal grill so I could get a nice sear on them, which I did. Then I put them on the cool side of the grill with some chunks of cherry wood on the coals. Set my timer for 20 minutes and went about my buisiness. About 15 minutes in I went and checked on them, flipped them upside down and decided I'm too hungry to keep pushing these things. I sauced up the bottom side and closed the grill. Came back in about 3 minutes flipped and sauced the top side. After another 3 minutes of letting the sauce set I pulled them off.

Still having low expectations I grabbed my knife and started cutting them into bone sections. I immediately noticed my knife slicing very easily through the meat. Is it the work of my new sharpener? I put a couple bones on my plate and dug in. WOW. They were absolutely perfect. I'm talking BBQ comp winning perfect. The perfect bite through where it was stuck to the bone but when you bit in, it was a clean bite with a clean bone and perfectly moist and tender. Honestly might be the best ribs I've ever made, and I've made some pretty good ones. I wish I had a picture of them, but all I took was a blurry snapchat video.

Sous vide ribs: Highly recommended!

#2738 3 months ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Allright, this will be alittle picture heavy.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    Nevermind the dirty nail, its just fermented tobacco.

That looks really good! What are the flakes? Just Panko or something else?

2 weeks later
    #2799 86 days ago

On a whim I bought a swordfish steak at costco. I was never a big seafood guy and I still am not the biggest fan, but after a few good salmon's I've cooked on the grill I've been wanting to try more. Never had swordfish but I must say, I was a really big fan. This meal turned out awesome!

Snapchat-301319258 (resized).jpgSnapchat-301319258 (resized).jpg
    #2800 86 days ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

You have any recommendations on how to do this without a sous vide or a cast iron skillet? I put my grill and smoker away for winter and wanted to try some steaks like this tomorrow.

You can use a propane/MAP torch to sear your food. They even make nozzles specifically for food searing. I'd go that route. its so quick and easy!

2 weeks later
    #2853 66 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they would not be able to adulterate a ribroast or any other big chunk of meat.
    A Brisket is cooked to an 200*F internal temp, so it would be OK if perforated.
    But cooking a Steak to 145*F (the safe temp for perforated meats) would be insane.

The rib roasts are labeled as mechanically tenderized too, but I just don't believe that they are actually doing it. This isn't anything new from Costco, they've been doing this for years for whatever reason. If you notice, that article you posted is from 2019 and I was already aware before then. I wish I knew what their reasoning was for doing this to supposedly every cut of meat.

#2855 66 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I only saw it on the news yesterday, so nobody tells me anything.
    I like rare steaks, so I figured others here would also want a heads up.

You know that there was no shortage of milk, but they had to start adding hormones in 1990 to make each cow produce a little extra.
    Then when every single kid has nut allergies or autism, everyone can just shrug **I mean, it can't be that all our food is tampered with** .

Please forgive me if I was making it seem like what you posted wasn't worth still mentioning, that was not my intent at all. Theres a lot of people who are still unaware. I just wanted to clarify that it was not something new they are doing, since somebody asked.

3 weeks later
    #2879 44 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

This is a Big Green Egg Tutorial for my friend Boob.
    Doing 5.8 lbs of wings indirect, but not using platesetter so I can get a kiss of direct towards the end. I'm also using a Spider from Ceramic Grill Store to move the grate up to top of bottom shell.
    I use two pieces of angle iron I got from Ceramic Grill Store to make a hot zone on one side. Those white things are oil dipped paper towels to get the lump going. I also have applewood chunks mixed in with half leftover lump from last cook and new lump.
    [quoted image]
    Let the coal catch fire and burn and then close the lid once you know everything is burning good and set your top and bottom vents to get to 450-500F. Be sure to let the dirty smoke die off before putting food on.
    [quoted image]
    Put the wings on the non-fire side. I prefer to use the bottom vent as my primary heat control, but do adjust the top too. But if I'm getting too hot, I always narrow the bottom opening first. Lid is closed all the time.
    [quoted image]
    After they have been cooking for awhile go ahead and move to the hot side to get some nice maillard effect. Even though those coals are way down there they are super hot. Pay attention and move stuff around or they will burn. This is where I close lid, but open move, close, open, move.
    [quoted image]
    Then put back on indirect side, test with instant temp probe and pull.
    [quoted image]
    Wings were on about 45 minutes.

Those bad boys look tasty!!!

1 week later
    #2921 31 days ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Holy crap. Ever tasted one? Anything like pork?

be careful, it can be nasty a lot of times from what I understand.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider haymaker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-ya-smoking?tu=haymaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.