(Topic ID: 351156)

What would cause circuit breaker to trip when playing?

By Jeff1960

86 days ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by sparky672
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5438 (resized).jpeg
#1 86 days ago

Checked voltage hovering around 123.
The pin in question is a SWEP1 with CRT which plays fine but after a few minutes circuit trips.
Played other pins on same circuit and even an RFM with LCD no problems.
Should I play game without monitor to rule that out?

#2 86 days ago

I am not familiar with this system, but I would probably check the line cord box first (game unplugged). See if a wire nut fell off and is touching the earth grounded box or something like that. Usually pinballs have a line fuse that would open before your circuit breaker, that is why I'd probably start in the line cord box.

#3 86 days ago

Something shorted inside metal box over on/off switch ?

LTG : )

#4 86 days ago

Agreeing with previous comments. The cord itself may have an internal intermittent short. I would focus efforts on inspecting and testing everything between the plug end of the cord and the machine's main transformer.

#5 86 days ago

Has anything else been added to that circuit? How much else is on that circuit? If it's at it's limit, just a little extra something could trip it. Also c/b's do wear out, could need replacement.

#6 85 days ago

Replaced power cord also the green ground was mostly grounded but may have been loose and possibly lose contact.
Played a few games no problems.
Game has been on same circuit since I had it so no overload as I can put other multiple pins on no issues.
Thanks for helping and my fingers are crossed.

IMG_5438 (resized).jpegIMG_5438 (resized).jpeg
#7 85 days ago
Quoted from Jeff1960:

...also the green ground was mostly grounded but may have been loose and possibly lose contact.

If the ground had anything to do with this problem, tightening/loosening the connection to the machine would make no difference assuming there's still a ground connection at the wall outlet.

The ground in a three-wire cord is only there for personal safety in case something goes wrong. Any piece of equipment (otherwise properly wired) does not depend on the third wire (earth ground) to operate; only the hot(s) and neutral.

It sounds like the hot wire in your cord/plug was internally touching the neutral or ground. This damage can happen if the cord gets pinched, smashed, etc., or something went wrong inside the plug itself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 85.00
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-cause-circuit-breaker-to-trip-when-playing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.