Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 161 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 195 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8188114A-83E9-4EEB-B11B-68CDB551D350 (resized).jpeg
    E026C980-7526-4E3D-9806-20D7EBAB6135 (resized).jpeg
    2F3761C0-7EFF-4D00-86DA-0B4809B8C4F3 (resized).jpeg
    0AAD41E3-27D6-44C5-BCEE-8180B549D2E5 (resized).jpeg
    30050566-3EAB-4EFC-A334-6251A5A3E89C (resized).jpeg
    412F6EAF-C1EF-49AF-96EE-21B7769D6847 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200904_234548 (resized).jpg
    FPDremel2 (resized).jpg
    FpDremel (resized).jpg
    IMG_6494.jpg
    After HT Test Fit.JPG
    IMG_0749 (resized).jpg
    62300_W3 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6344-2.jpg
    35111 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jordanloveslegos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#145 4 years ago

Hey guys!

Just bought a new Firepower hardtop and had a quick question. All of the inserts are aligned properly to each other, but I am getting some fairly substantial misalignment on holes in some areas. Mainly the slings and a few areas on light sockets on the upper playfield. Should I email the guys who make the hardtop to see if they have run into this issue before? Also if I were to modify the hardtop back into alignment what would be the best tool to use?

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

Hardtops will not align 100%. Best/only thing to do is make absolutely sure that the inserts line up as perfect as possible, and then open up the mis-aligned holes. I used a dremel tool but I know some people have used xacto knives.
    When I did my Mata Hari a few months ago, the inserts lined up perfectly. I had to widen about 12-15 holes for various posts and such, and actually had to create 2 holes in the hardtop that did not exist. It was nerve wracking at first, but after doing the first few holes it was easy. And I couldn't be more pleased with how it came out.
    This is not the hardtop makers fault. With variances on the playfield manufacturing line in the 70's and 80's, not to mention in some cases different manufacturing lines altogether, it's a rare thing for two playfields side by side to have the exact some hole locations.

Okay thanks for the tip! But with 80% of my holes being out when my inserts are all lined up, would it be easier to epoxy all the old holes and drill new ones where the hardtop says they should go?

#150 4 years ago

Okay thanks for all the advice guys! I set up a little jig to route out the holes with a Dremel. I put a piece of plexi above the hard top as well to add just an extra layer of protection. I got all of the holes lined up now. Currently all that is left to do is make sure all parts on the whitewood that I need to paint black are painted, level one wonky insert, and hit it with the 2PAC. Then the terror truly begins...

FPDremel2 (resized).jpgFPDremel2 (resized).jpgFpDremel (resized).jpgFpDremel (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jordanloveslegos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet?tu=jordanloveslegos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.