Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    E291BBC3-561B-49D8-8974-35594A777353 (resized).jpeg
    0C3C3CE7-4FC7-4C37-AB0A-F2DB8D44C169 (resized).jpeg
    732BF139-6F6A-4922-80F5-6DDE897B3A80 (resized).jpeg
    C8C02613-D981-4131-BEC6-56BAF1065312 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0716 (resized).JPG
    United Shuffle (resized).jpeg
    image2 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7027 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1380 (1) (resized).JPG
    IMG_7034 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newt68.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I am new to the forum and looking for a little help in my journey to resurrect an old Shuffle Alley into working condition once again. Here is my story...

I recently purchased what I believe is a 1953 United Shuffle Alley machine that perhaps has not been powered on for 50 years. I did my homework and took my time taking apart all the steppers and score wheels, cleaning and lubricating them. I also took apart the pin reset motor in the head (drilled out the rivets) cleaned and lubed that as well. I visually checked for loose wires, bad connections and mouse damage. Luckily all looked good. Yesterday was the big day! I powered it on!!!! The good news is it starts a game, the pins come down and the score wheels reset to 0. With the play field open I manually trip a pin switch with my hand the pins retract. Then I manually trip the rear puck switches with my hand and nothing. I would expect that to then trip the 1st shot relay, but it does not. Now, I manually trip the 1st shot relay, then trip another pin, then manually trip one of the rear puck switches the 2nd shot relay trips on its own, and the game advances to the next frame. I have checked, cleaned and adjusted the switches on the 1st shot relay and tested the coil with an meter, which is good. I am pretty new to this EM stuff so any help in further troubleshooting would be great. I am guessing I can try to jumper from the rear puck switches to the lugs on the coil??? Anything else I should be considering?

#3 5 years ago

The rear switches do trip the 2nd shot relay so they seem to be working. But I should to that anyway....

#5 5 years ago

Mopar that is some good info/tips right there. I will give your suggestions a try over the next few days and report back. As for the name of the game it is United's Liberty Shuffle Alley. Here is a picture as I found it. It really cleaned up pretty nice and I took a lot of pics along the way.

IMG_5318 (resized).JPEGIMG_5318 (resized).JPEG
    #7 5 years ago

Yep all the pins are good! Looks like the 9 pin was replaced at one time. If you have a digital copy of the schematic that would great. There is a dusty schematic underneath the play field but to have it on my computer would be awesome! And yes we will get her....

#9 5 years ago

So I put an alligator clip on one of the rear rollover switches and took a small screwdriver between all 4 closed switched and nothing happened. However, the screwdriver slipped at one point and contacted two of the closed switches at the same time and the relay energized and tripped. So it seems like the coil is good. I also took a really good look at all the solder tabs and they all look to be in good shape making good connections. Based on this info would you think I have a broken wire? It was kinda hard to tell if the color code of the wires matched up. I did not try to jump anything at this point. Mopar would love to hear your thoughts.....

#11 5 years ago

Sounds like a plan. I will try to locate that wire this weekend. In the event I need to fix this by soldering in a new wire would it be best to go from the rollover switch to the 1st shot relay or the first position on the score motor? Also what gauge wire would I use? Thanks for your help!

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nikrox2:

Looks almost like my United "Team" Shuffle Bowler (The back glass has "Cascade" on it, but the manual and others have referred to it as a "Team" ??
    Nice to see another 6" Pin machine out there! I just need the plastic surround at the pins, may end up making one sooner or later.
    Good luck on getting her back up and running!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! Your backglass ins in way better shape than mine! There is a dusty schematic inside the machine that has Cascade crossed out replaced by Liberty. I am going to try to take some photos and stitch them together in a PDF. I used a piece of 1/16 Lexan to make the pin surround. I'll post some pic's this weekend. I am probably going to use some Lexan for the bottom shield as well.

And thanks Mopar will keep you posted!

#17 5 years ago

Good news! I cleaned the contacts on the 1st position score motor switch and it started working!! I cycled through 10 frames on single player and it seemed to work fine with the exception of the player 1 (tens) score reel not moving. 0-9 works fine. That will be the next thing to look at. Also here are some pics of the 1/16 Lexan. I bought a precut piece off of eBay. Slightly short but I made it work.

0C3C3CE7-4FC7-4C37-AB0A-F2DB8D44C169 (resized).jpeg0C3C3CE7-4FC7-4C37-AB0A-F2DB8D44C169 (resized).jpeg732BF139-6F6A-4922-80F5-6DDE897B3A80 (resized).jpeg732BF139-6F6A-4922-80F5-6DDE897B3A80 (resized).jpegC8C02613-D981-4131-BEC6-56BAF1065312 (resized).jpegC8C02613-D981-4131-BEC6-56BAF1065312 (resized).jpeg

#19 5 years ago

I’m happy to report after a few more obstacles she is now in working order.

E291BBC3-561B-49D8-8974-35594A777353 (resized).jpegE291BBC3-561B-49D8-8974-35594A777353 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newt68.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/united-shuffle-alley-1st-shot-relay-troubleshooting-question?tu=newt68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.