(Topic ID: 341258)

Under Cabinet Lighting

By ExSquid

8 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Under Cabinet Lighting ”

• Keep if uniform 2 votes
      5%
    • Change the color by Theme 11 votes
      29%
    • Who gives a rats ass 25 votes
      66%

(38 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230409_141452 (resized).jpg
    20230422_175536 (resized).jpg
    f08caa02-3aba-4fe5-bf89-58121306c5e4.gif
    IMG_1351 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1363 (resized).jpeg
    #1 8 months ago

What's the consensus here? What do you guys think? I just ordered some for RUSH which is in the middle of my very small lineup and was thinking about getting some for the other 2 games. Not sure if keeping them all the same color to keep it uniform or go by "theme" for each game.

#2 8 months ago

I guess it depends on if you like it...

I went with a kit for ST Pro that was tied to the flashers...

For GZ I rigged a series of strips that would mirror the pop bumper (flying saucer) RGB led...

For STh I rigged a series of blue strips that only turn on when the UV turns on.

So I'd say go game by game with what would fit the theme/gameplay best?

#3 8 months ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:I guess it depends on if you like it...
    I went with a kit for ST Pro that was tied to the flashers...
    For GZ I rigged a series of strips that would mirror the pop bumper (flying saucer) RGB led...
    For STh I rigged a series of blue strips that only turn on when the UV turns on.
    So I'd say go game by game with what would fit the theme/gameplay best?

I agree with this. I don't think illuminating the dust under my machines does anything for me. However I did have a few games with undercabinet lighting hooked to certain game features. For example, in my STTNG the borg ship lights up during multiball in green and the first audio cueu is "red alert". I could hook up a set of undercabinet lights to the machine to go off only during multiball by connecting to those specific headers, and could make my peripheral vision light up with green or red light. That would be neat. But just blue all the time? Not really worth it to me.

#4 8 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I agree with this. I don't think illuminating the dust under my machines does anything for me. However I did have a few games with undercabinet lighting hooked to certain game features. For example, in my STTNG the borg ship lights up during multiball in green and the first audio cueu is "red alert". I could hook up a set of undercabinet lights to the machine to go off only during multiball by connecting to those specific headers, and could make my peripheral vision light up with green or red light. That would be neat. But just blue all the time? Not really worth it to me.

I get it, but all different colors is making me think it might looks a little “ messy”? I guess for lack of a better word. I don’t know …

#5 8 months ago

I wired rgb on an acdc a while back. Tied each color based on flasher color or as close as I could get. One color gets boring in my opinion

#6 8 months ago
    Quoted from ExSquid:

What's the consensus here?

Pointless & gaudy.

#7 8 months ago
    Quoted from ExSquid:

I get it, but all different colors is making me think it might looks a little “ messy”? I guess for lack of a better word. I don’t know …

Not at all. Lighting under the cabinets will show dust, thats all. I've seen lineups with different color lights under all the machines. Looked nice. Might look a little goofy with some with and some without. Try it out and see if you like it. It doesn't matter what we think... it matters what you think.

#8 8 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Pointless & gaudy.

Another +1 for “ who gives a rats ass”. It’s taken the lead!

#9 8 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Pointless & gaudy.

You're pontless and gaudy...kidding

#10 8 months ago

I like it when it's the only game on in the dark.

But I feel the same way about a dark Pinbot with only incandescents.

#11 8 months ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I like it when it's the only game on in the dark.
    But I feel the same way about a dark Pinbot with only incandescents.

Agreed, I had my Godzilla all set up with lights and when it was on in a dark room it looked sick! Don't know if all 3 would be too much or not.

#12 8 months ago

Always-on undercab lighting? Nah.

Flashing/interactive undercab lighting? Kinda cool.

#13 8 months ago

Love it - creates a great vibe

IMG_1351 (resized).jpegIMG_1351 (resized).jpegIMG_1363 (resized).jpegIMG_1363 (resized).jpeg
    #14 8 months ago

You can do it right, you can do it pointless and gaudy.

One of our customers had his TMNT game all the metal powdercoated green, green leds around the speakers, green acrylic to show up under the slingshot plastics, etc...

He had Green LED's under the game, and more importantly, behind the game.

You would approach the machine and it was making the whole corner of the room glow.

It was a nice effect.

On the other hand, an ACDC Luci had a couple of strips of red LED's under the game... didn't do too much for it.

Whatever you do, power your LED's external to the game power supply. No sense adding the opportunity for your add-on LED mod to take down the entire game.

And don't clip in to power using alligator clips. (shudders)

#15 8 months ago

A complete waste of money but I do enjoy seeing it on other peoples games.

#16 8 months ago

I see where this is going.....

f08caa02-3aba-4fe5-bf89-58121306c5e4.giff08caa02-3aba-4fe5-bf89-58121306c5e4.gif
    #17 8 months ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

Love it - creates a great vibe
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Man that looks nice!

#18 8 months ago

When the lights are interactive it blows me away.My Met and Deadpool refinery editions were a blast and looked very nice.

#19 8 months ago

Simple things for simple minds. More ooooo aahhhhh shiney clip on, add on, completely unnecessary crap.

#20 8 months ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

And don't clip in to power using alligator clips. (shudders)

Yeah no way, I would be scared shitless every time my shaker motors went off.

#21 8 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Simple things for simple minds. More ooooo aahhhhh shiney clip on, add on, completely unnecessary crap.

You are basically describing pinball in general, shiny and unnecessary.

I think if you have a dedicated game room it looks good on a low setting to give a nice glow to your row of machines. Having them wired to flashers and strobing colors during gameplay is gaudy to me.

#22 8 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Quoted from cookpins:

That's a piss poor take.

Quoted from PinRetail:

One of our customers had his TMNT game all the metal powdercoated green, green leds around the speakers, green acrylic to show up under the slingshot plastics, etc...
    He had Green LED's under the game, and more importantly, behind the game.

This is the dangerous thinking that expanding clown puking machines to entire rooms.

#23 8 months ago

It's your game room. Do what makes you happy. Be creative and have fun with it.

#24 8 months ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

You heard him, boys!! Resurrect Fiorello La Guardia and start smashing machines into firewood!!

No, I'm saying gawdy add on crap is unnecessary. We wanna go that route, guess we don't "need" cell phones, computers, television, streaming services, etc. We use these things for pleasure and distraction, else, we will go fucking crazy. I don't need ugly ass cabinet lighting on my games.

#25 8 months ago

To each his own.

#27 8 months ago

Again, Are you looking at the floor in awe while playing.....

#28 8 months ago
    Quoted from chad:

Again, Are you looking at the floor in awe while playing.....

It's kind of fun for others to see while someone is playing. Interactive of course.

#29 8 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

You heard him, boys!! Resurrect Fiorello La Guardia and start smashing machines into firewood!!
    No, I'm saying gawdy add on crap is unnecessary. We wanna go that route, guess we don't "need" cell phones, computers, television, streaming services, etc. We use these things for pleasure and distraction, else, we will go fucking crazy. I don't need ugly ass cabinet lighting on my games.

Ha! Yes, all are unnecessary for basic survival! Was only kidding of course and knew what you actually met. All the bulbs at my house are smartbulbs and can do full RGB, however they rarely ever get used for colors but instead are used for tasteful warm whites. Except the ones in the gameroom

#30 8 months ago

I think it looks like garbage.

#31 8 months ago

Not my thing but that's why it's called a hobby. Do whatever the hell you wanna do! Have fun! It makes no difference what anybody here thinks. We'll never see it.

#32 8 months ago

Under cabinet lighting feels excessive to me. I prefer the game room more dimly lit so the focus is on the playfields and screens. But if you're looking for that last open spot to "mod" then go for it.

#33 8 months ago

You have to really really like how your floors look.

#34 8 months ago

Among the dumbest of all mods.

And that’s saying something.

#35 8 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That's a piss poor take.

This is the dangerous thinking that expanding clown puking machines to entire rooms.

Wise words.

#36 8 months ago

I recently repainted most of my home to a neutral gray. I've been adding a small light strip to the heads of the pins for a splash of color. I like it. Not sure I'd go with under lighting since I store stuff there sometime.

20230422_175536 (resized).jpg20230422_175536 (resized).jpg20230409_141452 (resized).jpg20230409_141452 (resized).jpg

#37 8 months ago

I like it so much that I created a mod for GoT. So that the under cabinet lighting matched the light colour of the lock bar button. Here’s the schematic and how it was done and a video in action.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-original-under-cabinet-lights-for-stern-spike-games#post-6818492

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/under-cabinet-lighting- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.