View topic image gallery

J201 J202 (resized).png
2023-10-15 14.27.43 (resized).jpg
2023-10-15 14.25.38 (resized).jpg
IMG_7953 (resized).jpeg
2023-10-14 15.32.00 (1).gif
#1 6 months ago

Hey guys,
Ran into a weird issue with my TZ after moving it. The machine starts up, but not all the way. I get some static bars on the DMD and hear the initial "ping" sound, but the three beeps that should follow are missing. On top of that, the clock or any mechanics are not running their usual startup routine.

However, the lights do seem to run in attract mode. After the "ping," the static bars on the DMD fade out slowly over the course of a minute, ending up completely dark.

Check out the attached GIF for a visual.

2023-10-14 15.32.00 (1).gif2023-10-14 15.32.00 (1).gif

Advice anyone?
Best regards

#3 6 months ago

Have you tried reseating all of the ribbon cables in backbox?

#4 6 months ago

The light show is running, so your game is booted. Likely you have an issue with your ribbon cabling to the DMD controller board, the controller board itself, or the ASIC on the mpu board needs to be seated better.

The DMD is just a peripheral to the mpu board, it doesn't do any handshaking or anything back and forth. You should be able to start a game and play etc.

The clock moving/not moving could also be an issue with the +12v supply for the optos. You won't really know where to go from here until you get the display back.

Curious as to what you mean by the 3 beeps as well - does the game have some kind of alternate sound board in it that has a bootup sound?

#5 6 months ago

I think he means the 3 bongs indicating you have an error?

Anyways, its proboably a connector somewhere, go over and reseat everything and spray with electronics cleaner if you have it, will proboably fix your issue.

#6 6 months ago

Yeah, as others have said, ribbon cables, particularly the one that goes 5 places. Shut off your game, unplug and plug back in, taking special care to not be off a row or off a pin on the ends.

Now, as to why you think it's normal behavior for three beeps...

Hehe.

That's not normal behavior! That's the machine saying you have a problem! If you were to open the door and press the test button (furthest from the door) your machine is complaining that something isn't right. Could be time and date not set (common after batteries were replaced (you have replaced the batteries recently, haven't you?))

But seriously, the sound board and the dot matrix are not communicating to the CPU, so reseat all the plugs on that ribbon cable and things will likely be well.

#7 6 months ago

Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the advice.

Quick update with some new observations:

The 3 "bong" sounds i mentioned are probably the old Geneva switch error I've had for years and never got around to fixing.
In that case the error check makes that sound right? Which isn't happening now.

I've reseated all the ribbon cables, including DMD and sound board, but still no change.

Just noticed that my PinballBulbs ambient light kit (LED strips) isn't lighting up either ( the leds are connected at the bottom of the Powerdriver board ).

Batteries have been changed recently.

When I press the menu button, the light show freezes and exiting the menu resumes the light show - indicating that the menu is working.
But nothing happens on DMD or audio and still no mechanical action at all during reset or menu entry.

Have not reseated the ASIC yet though.

Any more thoughts on what could be going on?

Best regards,

#8 6 months ago

It's not so much 'reseat' the ASIC. It's more like, shut power off, and press on the ASIC firmly with your thumb to make sure it's seated.

You aren't getting sound (other than maybe a power on 'bong' that the sound board might do by itself) because the computer is not talking to the sound board. You aren't getting display (other than the random garbage) because the computer isn't talking to the display driver board.

You probably aren't getting Fliptronics board either, because it's connected to the same ribbon cable also.

In the lower left corner of the Power Driver Board are four small connectors. Make sure they are all present, and plugged in. One of these powers your DMD display. If the Fliptronics board or the sound board or the dot matrix controller board aren't getting power they might be dragging down everything connected to the ribbon cable that connects those boards together.

Connectors are the overwhelmingly likely issue here. Either ribbon cable connectors or power to those three boards.

Though it might be that you've blown F115 or F116. LED 1 and LED 7 need to be on. LED 1 is at the corner of the fat short ribbon cable that connects the power driver board to the CPU, and is associated with F115. LED 7 is in the upper left corner of the CPU, and is associated with the fuse right next to it F116. The connection here would be J112, which is in the upper left corner of the power driver board and is usually hidden in a snarl of wires.

#9 6 months ago

Hey,
thanks for the advice!

I checked and LED 1 is ON,
but LED 7 is OFF.
The fuse next to F116 looks like it might be blown.
IMG_7953 (resized).jpegIMG_7953 (resized).jpeg

Could this be the issue?

Best regards,

#10 6 months ago

Hey guys, got an update on this:

I changed the fuse:

-Now the clock, mechs and coils seem to work as normal.

-However no changes on audio.

-and the DMD does not update however the image it displays is now a scrambled static image that just hangs.

The ASIC seems to be very well seated.

Any more thoughts on what could be going on?

2023-10-15 14.25.38 (resized).jpg2023-10-15 14.25.38 (resized).jpg
2023-10-15 14.27.43 (resized).jpg2023-10-15 14.27.43 (resized).jpg

Best regards,

#11 6 months ago

J202 and J201 seem to be on a different height.
One row off ?

J201 J202 (resized).pngJ201 J202 (resized).png

#12 6 months ago

Hey all,

Sharp catch Zaza! Turns out the ribbon cable was one row off, must’ve happened during my reseating efforts.

The blown fuse at F116 was indeed the original issue. Now after fixing both, everything started up normally.

However …. as soon as I reconnected the PinballBulbs ambient light kit, the F116 fuse blew again. Looks like that light kit might have a short / issue that I’ll need to investigate.

Best regards,

#13 6 months ago
Quoted from m111111:

However …. as soon as I reconnected the PinballBulbs ambient light kit, the F116 fuse blew again. Looks like that light kit might have a short / issue that I’ll need to investigate.

Sounds like you are overloading the circuit with the light kit. Unfortunately, you need to remove it.

#14 6 months ago

Thanks Maniac, however …
the kit has been installed and running perfectly for 6 years - no issues until now.

Best regards,

#15 6 months ago

Play without it and see what happens. I am surprised it ran as long as it has with it installed.

LED strips do not do well on this 12Vunreg circuit. There are many threads on this matter.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 132.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-startup-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.