• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Toledo-Work-04 (resized).jpg
0Toledo-Work-03 (resized).jpg
0Toledo-Work-01 (resized).jpg
0Toledo-put-together-questions-A-orpalis.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago

Hi pinballman3
The first picture - the PDF I made from the ipdb-schematics --- unfortunately some parts are missing - may want to make You a copy of "my work" - copy down onto Your computer. You then may check with Your paper-schematics --- may take some pictures with Your mobile phone - upload Your pictures - I can add / complement the missing areas ...

Troubleshooting the seldom-fault: I would like to mount some Test-Lights --- looooong wires on the Test-Lights - the loooong ires (and so the Test-Light) come out the open coin-door - Test-Light(s) lay on the apron and You play many games. WHEN the fault happens: DID one of the Test-Lights light-up ?
SteveFury shows his Test-Light here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics#post-2634425 --- want to make Yourself such an Test-Light (or two or three Test-Lights - a really good tool) --- two car-bulbs of 12Volts put one behind the other - summing up to a Test-Light of 24Volts.

You have mentioned: "Pressing the Replay-Button when a ball is in play" does NOT start a new game --- see the second picture - in the JPG I marked "grey": You press the Credit-Button --- well, "green IS OPEN" as the Game-Over-Relay is not pulling when You play. "Blue" should be closed in a ONE-Player-Game. "Red" closes when the pin steps from "ball-1 is lost" to "Ball-2 in play".

On the bottom You see my Test-Lights --- I wonder "Does the Reset-Relay ONLY (faulty) pull-in" or "Does the Coin-Relay (faulty) pulls-in and then makes the Reset-Relay to pull-in". We may have to mount another Test-Light on the Coil of "Game-Over-Relay" or some other Relay --- trying to find "what relay makes the fault happen". Greetings Rolf

P.S.: I can send "my work, schematics" per EMail - some 3 MB data (PDF) or 5 MB data (JPG) - but actually hope for help to complement the missing areas.

0Toledo-put-together-questions-A-orpalis.pdf0Toledo-put-together-questions-A-orpalis.pdf

0Toledo-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Toledo-Work-01 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#9 5 years ago

Hi pbm3
a fault can happen because AAA: A Relay is faulty pulling-in - but also can happen because BBB: One or more Switch(es) on this relay is/are adjusted tight - a bit of shaking makes the Switch(es) to faulty close. Troubleshooting on AAA then is: WHY does the relay faulty pull-in ? - troubleshooting on BBB then is: ARE all switches gapped properly ?

When the fault is of type "not always - sometimes - rare": I like to mount an Test-Light (like You did, like shown in post-6, 2nd JPG, bottom-right, Reset-Relay).

See the JPG - this happens in a fully functioning pin: We toogle-on the pin, the Game-Over-Relay is either already in state "Game-Over" or it is made to move in state Game-Over (by toggling-on the pin) --- Switch "pink-B1" therefore is other than drawn in the JPG - Switch "pink-B1" is closed. A leftover from the previous game: Score-Drums are not at "Zero" - so one, some, all switches "blue-A2" is/are closed (((blue-A3, blue-A4: Later))). We start a new game - among other stuff happening: The Coin-Relay is made pulling-in - so Switch "pink-B2" closes --- Initial-Current can flow "wire-yellow through switch-pink-B2 wire-orange-red through switch-pink-B1 reaching the coil (brown X).
The Reset-Relay pulls-in and establishes "Self-Hold-Current through blue-A1 and blue-A2 ((eventually the Bonus-Unit must also reset so blue-A3 may come into function)).

As starting / resetting proceeds: The Game-Over-Relay is made moved to "state in play" - so switch-pink-B1 opens - the Coin-Relay quits pulling - switch-pink-B2 opens. The Reset-Relay stays pulling through the Self-Hold-Circuitry until ALL Switches on the Score-Drums (blue-A2) open when a Drum is stepped to position-zero. The bonus may be stepped down - switch-blue-A3 opens / is open. The turning motor turns to the end of its turn - blue-A4 opens --- NOW the Reset-Relay quits pulling as there is no more Self-Hold-Current flowing.

Troubleshooting: Either blue-A1 is faulty-gapped - and/or "pink-B1 AND pink-B2" are faulty-gapped - a bit of shaking the pin when playing - the Reset-Relay is made "faulty-pulling-in".

Lets start with "Switch-blue-A1" - the Self-Hold-Switch on the Reset-Relay - easy to be found: From one side of the Coil on Reset-Relay runs a short wire to Switch-mounted-on-the-relay - THIS switch --- truely open when the relay is not pulling ? - a drop of solder there ? - a doghair-crap of wire there ? a lug bent making sometimes faulty contact ? Can You guarantee: "Switch is good" ? Greetings Rolf

0Toledo-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Toledo-Work-03 (resized).jpg

#13 5 years ago

Hi pbm3
when playing 50 games is "punishment" - do play 20 games --- while playing think of "instead of playing: The same time long I (means You) have the playfield lifted - lean over and into the cabinet and do all kind of tests" ---
when it is an "sometimes, rare" fault: I like to mount Test-Light(s) - then I play and have an eye on the Test-Light(s).
Lets say a fault can be caused exactly by five causes - AA, BB, CC, DD, EE --- we check the CC - maybe we are lucky and the fault is found. If not we then have only four (more) places to check - then three - then two - then one.

When there is a fault and a switch to close on an relay is in the wiring --- ALWAYS two possibilities: FF - the relay is faulty made pulling (the switch then is entitled to close) --- GG - the relays does not pull-in - but the switch on the relay is adjusted tight - almost closed - a bit of shaking the pin and the (almost closed) switch closes due to vibration.
Therefore Your second sentence in post-10 is not true --- You did only consider possibility FF.

In the end of post-9 I suggested "Lets start with Switch-blue-A1" --- did You check this switch - wide open when the Reset-Relay is not pulling ? Bent solder-lug ? a doghair crap of wire ? Greetings Rolf

#15 5 years ago

Hi pbm3
I cannot see in the schematics when in the pin is "shorts made by faulty-touching switchblades". I look at the JPG in post-9 and say "one connection is "A2 and/or A3 and/or A4 - then through A1" --- the other connection is "B2 then B1" --- so have a good look at the Switch (in the JPG: B2) on Coin-Relay - wide ope when the relay is not pulling ? stud/solder-lug bent making almost contact ? drop of solder ? doghair crap of wire ?

When You have started a ONE-Player-Game - when You then want to start for the second-player --- You do start for the second player - question: Do You always can start for the second player ?

Some theory: The schematics is drawn: A new game has been started - reset has been done - ball is kicked over to the shooter alley so the (single) player may launch the ball - THEN the pin is toggled-off. So the "Switch B1 on Game-Over-Relay" must be "as shown in the JPG" - must be open - truely open after You have started a new game means a ONE-Player-Game (((Game-Over-Relay is an Interlock-Type relay --- Interlock-Type relays do not move / do not "let go" when we toggle-off the pin))).

Switch-B1 is allowed to be closed only when the Coin-Relay is pulling. "Coin-Relay is not a good name - START-Relay would be a better name. Greetings Rolf

#18 5 years ago

Hi pbm3
another post to come on troubleshooting "randomly resets" --- this post is mostly theory (and some troubleshooting) "mystery on Game-Over-Relay". It is a good example of "reading schematics - thinking in time-progression along time axis and so coils pulling / armatures and switches move".
The JPG is made from the schematics - interesting stuff is there - other stuff is left out. We always have in mind - Bally, Gottlieb and Williams schematics are drawn: A new game has been started, reset of steppers and Score-Drums has been made, ball is kicked over to the shooter-alley - ready for a ONE-Player-Game - ready for the player to launch the ball - THEN THE PIN is toggled-off / main power cord unplugged (this toggling-off is irritating - but this is the drawing of all these schematics).

The following is for "later Williams like my Space Mission, Big Deal, Your Toledo" --- see the JPG - on the POWER-Side-connection I drew a thick black line --- the Lock-Relay always has power-side-connection. On the return-side / common I drew "yellow line" - the Lock-Relay always has return-side-connection. When we toggle-on the main power-switch: 110VAC - magnetism - 24VAC and the Lock-Relay pulls --- it pulls-in, stays pulling continuously for a long time (until we toggle-off).

Lets say You toggle-off Your Toledo in ball-2. You had started the game so when the pin was resetting: The pin had actuated the Game-Over-Latch Coil (means relay is latched means relay is 'in play' means "switch in the JPG 'Switch on Game-Over-Relay Power-side connection' is closed - is as shown in the schematics / JPG" --- as this switch is closed: The Game-Over-TRIP-Coil has power-side-connection.
See in the JPG, lower left corner the "Switch on Lock-Relay" - drawn closed (remember the schematics is drawn ... then pin is toggled-off / main power cord unplugged - Lock-Relay is not pulling, switch is closed).

Now comes reading schematics - thinking-in "factor time - action on relays and steppers": You toggle-on the pin - immediately the Lock-Relay starts pulling-in - one-tenth-of-a-second armature / nylon-ladder / switchblade: moving --- another one-tenth-of-a-second armature / nylon-ladder / switchblade: moving --- another one-tenth-of-a-second armature / nylon-ladder / switchblade: moving --- another one-tenth-of-a-second armature / nylon-ladder / switchblade: moving --- another one-tenth-of-a-second armature / nylon-ladder / switchblade: moving and after five-tenth-of-a-second the stuff on Lock-Relay has moved. The switch on the Lock-Relay is adjusted to open late - opens after four-tenth-of-a-second.
Well, "TRIP-Coil on Game-Over-Relay" - hurry, hurry --- for four-tenth-of-a-second the "Switch on Lock-Relay" is closed --- TRIP-Coil: hurry, hurry - pull-in, pull-in, actuate.
AND IT WORKS (in a functioning Williams pin) - The "Switch on pulling-in Lock-Relay" is closed for four-tenth-of-a-second - time enough for the TRIP-Coil on Game-Over-Relay to pull-in / actuate.

Troubleshooting "mystery on Game-Over-Relay" - question: You are playing - You have played ball-1 - THEN You press the Replay-Button - DOES the pin start a new game - RESETTING ?
IF (if, if) "Yes": We know (JPG, lower left corner) "Connection through pulling Coin-Relay / closed switch --- closed switch on Ball-Count-Unit - the Game-Over-Relay DOES / DID TRIP. Greetings Rolf

0Toledo-Work-04 (resized).jpg0Toledo-Work-04 (resized).jpg

#20 5 years ago

Hi pbm3
great - You could fix the "Lock-Relay" problem - was it "residual magnetism" ?
The problem "randomly resets" --- there is another topic - other fault - BUT: The work-around I suggested there is the same as I suggest (by now) here - see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resetting-williams-fan-tas-tic#post-4390634 - on the bottom of the JPG --- some kind of "sneaked-in toggle-switch". You toggle-on for connection - You start a new game - after startup / resetting: You toggle-off - then You play the game - when You have reached "Game-Over" You toggle-on - start a new game - then toggle-off etc. You play many games - do You still have the problem of "randomly resets" ?

I happen to run out of ideas - the JPG in post-9 and the marked switches --- checking the switches. You can say "have checked and checked and all looks good" --- then next is (as I do not see an other way): Unsoldering wires from the solder-lugs of these switches - put in NEW wires selectively - one after one. Greetings Rolf

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toledo-resets-in-middle-of-game-randomly?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.