(Topic ID: 182351)

To LED or not to LED? That is the question.

By visorboy

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF0977 (resized).JPG
    xxxtheater (resized).jpg
    IMG_2156 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3357 (resized).JPG
    09cdea7f1dc18a7d86965d07ba215417f9315f3e_hq (resized).jpg
    DSCF0281 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0280 (resized).JPG
    clownpuke (resized).jpg
    IMG_3594 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3595 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3593 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170509_201915 (resized).jpg
    17991140_10154211543337396_5341177239578009923_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_3590 (resized).JPG
    c30ff25ec60efb93971f26ff130da5f5133cb397 (resized).jpg
    20170327_194717 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I keep all the #47s for lighting backglasses (LEDs look terrible for this), and the #44s I give away at shows.

LEDs can look brilliant on backglasses. I use the 4-LED ones with no dome - they spread great so there are no hotspots. You don't even have to use all the sockets. I end up leaving 1/3 of them blank. Also - temperature match. Cool white works better on some, warm on others, mix on others. For instance - on BK2K I have warms behind the red and yellow colors and cools behind the blue areas. On TOM it's mostly warm but with cools behind the cards, bunny & saw. Here are some examples:

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Loving your BSD rarehero looks like moonlight is hitting all the characters faces, nice touch! intentional?

Nope, that's just how it looks! Dracula's translite is normally very "Orange" with incandescent. LED really brings out the true colors and art. As much as we hate colorbombed LEDs, in a way incandecents is like colorbombing a translite with orange! Look at the colors on Monster Bash too...all washed out and dull with incandescent.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from 3pinballs:

are the LED's today better than the ones back in 2007?

Oh yes. Back then I HATED LEDs...they were pretty much blue-ish cool white, and one dim LED that shot straight up. They sucked for GI because they had no spread and bad color temperature, and bad for inserts for the same reason, plus they'd flicker when off. I was on the F LEDs bandwagon.....then, they got good! Now there are SO MANY styles, color temperatures, bendable ones so you can aim them correctly into inserts....they've come a long way. I've LED'd all my games except for LOTR as IMO it looks perfect with that incandescent golden hue.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

How about some playfield pics Rarehero?

I find that LEd playfields rarely photograph well....but here you go. Most of these are just a mix of warm and cool white. TOM has a few color spots and pink under the pink plastics which really look incredible.

2 weeks later
    #77 7 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

I adore matching bulbs to insert colors, there is a wow factor in there for me. Blue led on blue inserts look so cool!

I generally hate that look. Blue inserts are a nice light sky blue, and a cool white bulb really brings that out brilliantly. I don't like seeing the deep "Smurf blue" on all blue inserts.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-led-or-not-to-led-that-is-the-question-1?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.