(Topic ID: 182351)

To LED or not to LED? That is the question.

By visorboy

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 176 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by SilverUnicorn
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 61 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF0977 (resized).JPG
    xxxtheater (resized).jpg
    IMG_2156 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3357 (resized).JPG
    09cdea7f1dc18a7d86965d07ba215417f9315f3e_hq (resized).jpg
    DSCF0281 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0280 (resized).JPG
    clownpuke (resized).jpg
    IMG_3594 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3595 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3593 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170509_201915 (resized).jpg
    17991140_10154211543337396_5341177239578009923_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_3590 (resized).JPG
    c30ff25ec60efb93971f26ff130da5f5133cb397 (resized).jpg
    20170327_194717 (resized).jpg

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 2 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I was anti LED all the way. I don't personally have any macines with LED's.........yet.
    I recently shopped out a Sopranos for the CEO at work. It is in our break room. For maintenance reasons, we decided to go with LED.
    When I brought the machine back to work, almost everyone thought it was a different (brand new) machine. The top comment I get it "It's so bright. It looks breand new". Honestly with the LED's I see much more of the playfield. My experience with this (and CoinTaker) led me to buy a LED kit for T3, which will me my forst home machine with LED's.

Same here. I've always been anti led. Always said I liked the look of the warm yellows from iridescent lights. That was until I bought my MET that someone did a really nice led job on. I think the cool whites really make some of the playfield plastics pop and brighten up the playfield.

#152 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Games like shadow and TAF have HORRIBLE GI setups from factory and no matter how you LED them they are still black everywhere.

They were designed to be shadowy.

That sets the mood for the entire game.

#153 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'm going to echo some comments made by others previously in the thread. There is no denying the maintenance benefit of LEDs, reducing burnt connectors , blowouts, and just flat out not having to replace bulbs! I've been guilty of overdoing it woth the colors too, and I think that can certainly get out of control. But I definitely like LEDs under inserts, and strongly suggest those who don't like the "instant on" effect should try LED OCD. I didn't understand what that was for a long time but it is really impressive. Not only does it allow the lights to come on a little more slowly but it also dials down the intensity in a way that really addresses the "omg my eyes!!" Factor.

LEDs can be a problem for sure though - I have LEDs in the two side flashers in my CFTBL (the ones that go off when you're ready to "start the movie"). My god those are too bright. I've got to change those out or at least point the backwards.

Agree 100% on LEDs' poor ability to spread light; frosted lights seem to help quite a bit with that.

#154 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Well in my opinion it takes away from being able to see the ball and playfield well which is much more important as a player.

#155 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well in my opinion it takes away from being able to see the ball and playfield well which is much more important as a player.

Try not to "see" the ball.

Anticipate it's arrival by the physics, timing and sounds of the table.

Then you will become champion.

#156 2 years ago

All I can say is it's my opinion.

I go to shows, and most led games are simply done poorly.

Low end LEDs in GI, colors, incorrect bulbs.
    Kits that were created years ago, when a limited variety of bulbs were available.

My recommendation is to go to shows, look and play, and decide for oneself what looks good and what looks bad.

I have now redone my 5th game this year that was done with a "kit" and I'm shocked at the bulb choices.
    Unlensed 5050 in pops?????

Don't be afraid to stock some bulbs and mix them in the same game.

Some games can use the same bulb everywhere, but we should and can do better.

Yes, it's my experience and ego, but if you lined up 20 TAF, all LED differently, one could
    reverse engineer, and pick the best from all, or from one.
    I don't think it's just simply different tastes, I think it's kits, inexpensive bulbs, and linexperience that lead to games being done poorly.

(Not all kits, not all bulbs, etc.....this is a gross generalization.)

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Thanks Obi Wan. Haha

#158 2 years ago

The over the top 'pretentiousness' of many people here acting like its the end of the world is too damn high. I have never not purchased a game because it had LEDs in it. I can take them out myself without all the drama and do what I want to my game. I swear to God most pinball collectors are the most pretentious people in any hobby I have encountered.

#159 2 years ago

i've heard toy train people are even worse.

#160 2 years ago

Warm white LEDs are good replacements for 44/47s

#161 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'm making a shirt of this.

#162 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

But with the blast shield down I can't see the ball, or the LEDs, or the playfied....

09cdea7f1dc18a7d86965d07ba215417f9315f3e_hq (resized).jpg

#163 2 years ago

I put more traditional incandescent bulbs back to illuminate the backglass. It makes the colors pop much better than when I used the cool white LED. Contrary to all the down votes my first photo got, the collectors who have seen this all say it looks gorgeous in person. I love this game!

IMG_3357 (resized).JPG

#164 2 years ago

try comet sunlight led's in the backbox.

#165 2 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

try comet sunlight led's in the backbox.

I have them on one and they look good, but the Comet flat top warm white look better because they disperse the light wider so no noticeable "hot spots"

#166 2 years ago
    Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I put more traditional incandescent bulbs back to illuminate the backglass. It makes the colors pop much better than when I used the cool white LED. Contrary to all the down votes my first photo got, the collectors who have seen this all say it looks gorgeous in person. I love this game!

Love the backglass, but the GI.....uggghhh. Just looks like a blob of color. Can't see the artwork on the plastic or playfield. Just doesn't look good at all IMO

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Next thing you'll be saying is that you could even be deaf dumb and blind and STILL play a mean pinball.

#168 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

IMG_2156 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #169 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Try not to "see" the ball. Anticipate it's arrival by the physics of the table. Then you will become champion.

So that's how Tommy (that deaf, dumb and blind kid) was able to play such a mean pinball.

1 week later
    #170 2 years ago

Normally, I can recognize any pinball machine, EM SS or DMD from 100 yards away.

With the backbox lights out, I could not tell what this was until I was right on top of it.

Instead of a 1920s theater, it was Candy Crush Daycare.

Sad

xxxtheater (resized).jpg

#171 2 years ago

probably looks good with the lights on and some focus.

#172 2 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

probably looks good with the lights on and some focus.

It was so dim the camera did not want to focus on it (or it was so hideous that it refused to).

#173 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It was so dim the camera did not want to focus on it (or it was so hideous that it refused to).

1 week later
    #174 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

The over the top 'pretentiousness' of many people here acting like its the end of the world is too damn high. I have never not purchased a game because it had LEDs in it. I can take them out myself without all the drama and do what I want to my game. I swear to God most pinball collectors are the most pretentious people in any hobby I have encountered.

You put on your thinking cap and figured out that the reason that people are disagreeing with you is because they're bad people.

What a shocker.

It's not about "pretentiousness".

It's about the artistic merit of making pinball machines "awesome" by putting super bright bulbs of electric day glo color into them.

I think it looks awful.

If Williams had originally produced any of these games with washed out art, super-bright lights and blobs of random day-glo color everywhere, I would have thought they looked like ass and I would not have bought any of them.

A couple of people have managed to improve the look of a game by using LEDs. Incandescents often create a strong overall yellow/orange glow on the whole game and that can be lessened by using LEDs. Also, using LEDs under those tired old inserts can really help.

But most people are all about the clown puke, because it's so awesome.

I bought a pin that had LEDs installed, it hurts your eyes to play it. It's hilarious looking next to my other pins, it's lit up like a road construction site at night.

So I'm presently ever-so-pretentiously trying to figure out if I should just put all incandescents into it or if I can figure out a LED setup that will improve the look of the game instead of ruining it.

#175 2 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

You put on your thinking cap and figured out that the reason that people are disagreeing with you is because they're bad people.
    What a shocker.
    It's not about "pretentiousness".
    It's about the artistic merit of making pinball machines "awesome" by putting super bright bulbs of electric day glo color into them.
    I think it looks awful.
    If Williams had originally produced any of these games with washed out art, super-bright lights and blobs of random day-glo color everywhere, I would have thought they looked like ass and I would not have bought any of them.
    A couple of people have managed to improve the look of a game by using LEDs. Incandescents often create a strong overall yellow/orange glow on the whole game and that can be lessened by using LEDs. Also, using LEDs under those tired old inserts can really help.
    But most people are all about the clown puke, because it's so awesome.
    I bought a pin that had LEDs installed, it hurts your eyes to play it. It's hilarious looking next to my other pins, it's lit up like a road construction site at night.
    So I'm presently ever-so-pretentiously trying to figure out if I should just put all incandescents into it or if I can figure out a LED setup that will improve the look of the game instead of ruining it.

You didn't buy the game because of the ugly LEDS, you bought it for many other reasons, didn't you?
    Every house I bought had a shitty color of paint on it. I reapainted them, which is a lot more work than changing out some pinball lamps.
    It's not that big of a deal, and the extra drama isn't necessary. Repaint a room, change your hairstyle, plant some different flowers, or put some different bulbs in. Take some before and after pics. Tell us why you like it better.

4 weeks later
    #176 2 years ago

Adding LED's to a T3. This one is going to be bright!

DSCF0977 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Stuff
    $ 11.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 265.00
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside