Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,005 posts
  • 183 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by hawkmoon
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

qbxau73fw6w81 (resized).jpg
    430039487_10211085434048076_6973316680355622747_n (resized).jpg
    4431711c07c18b318248e7ea59c7e9cc (resized).jpg
    IMG_2601 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2593 (resized).jpeg
    s-l400 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 1.04.56?PM (resized).png
    IMG_6103 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6104 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_7356487_3211116 (resized).png
    Pinside_forum_8066074_0 (resized).png
    Pinside_forum_8069872_0 (resized).png
    275846810_1002521073700015_1134114257420462858_n (resized).jpg
    275785823_1002521070366682_4478740778613213944_n (resized).jpg
    Resized_Resized_20210130_121344 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6016 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,005 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 21.
    #151 5 months ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Arrgghh, I fucking hated that game! Marino did quick 3 to 4 yard passes all game long to keep from getting mauled by the Bears pass rush, but it was effective and kept their offense moving.

One more before I go to the garage and drink my beer. Thanks for your support. Back to you, 80s kids!

#152 5 months ago

Band camp and people forgetting about me

#153 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

One more before I go to the garage and drink my beer. Thanks for your support. Back to you, 80s kids!

Marino sure was a great quarterback, shame he never won a Super Bowl.

#154 5 months ago

The Amiga 500

#155 5 months ago

The wide world of sports

#156 5 months ago

Titans baby! Time for Henry and Willis to COOK!

*wrong thread sorry.

#157 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Was that their biggest win since the early 70s?

#158 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

OK, so I've been putting you guys on.
    With cheap rent and the advancement in surfboard technology including the three fin "thruster" and blanks being pumped out by Clark Foam, the 80s were the greatest decade in the history of mankind to live and surf in San Clemente. Nothing else really mattered. Well almost.
    [quoted image]

OMG….LOVE THAT ALBUM….still have it.

Somebody ripped my stick!!!

#159 5 months ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Was that their biggest win since the early 70s?

It was probably The Bears biggest loss. Ever!

#160 5 months ago
    IMG_1762 (resized).jpegIMG_1762 (resized).jpeg
    #161 5 months ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

Everyone was a lot less angry in the '80's. I miss that.

You really think? Seams like all ages have a bunch of pissed off, anger, triggered people.

#162 5 months ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:I enjoyed going to the Blockbuster store to pick out a move and then watch it that evening.

My wife and I fondly told our kids how we used to go to Blockbuster and the experience. Didn't know at the time it was something to be treasured, but it really was.

#163 5 months ago
    IMG_1763 (resized).pngIMG_1763 (resized).png
    #164 5 months ago

This thread has become a testament to how bad the 80s really were.

#165 5 months ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

Leaving the house on your bike and not coming home until it was dark. No cell phones!
    I still have all my bikes though. Haro, gt, dyno, kuwahara….
    [quoted image]

Sweet ride. Three of my kids ride modern Haro BMX and they are out even in the dark, even my 8 yr old daughter. Light technology has gotten a ton better.

#166 5 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

You really think? Seams like all ages have a bunch of pissed off, anger, triggered people.

Yes, but they did not have the same means to spread their garbage attitude and opinions in prior times.
    And people were more likely to just ignore the cranks and nutcases back then.

#167 5 months ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Yes, but they did not have the same means to spread their garbage attitude and opinions in prior times.

And back then we could actually beat them up if that is what was called for.

(that's punching them into submission until they shut up if you're not familiar with that lingo)

(punching is the act of making a fist and breaking their face with it if you're not familiar with that lingo)

#168 5 months ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

And people were more likely to just ignore the cranks and nutcases back then.

That's totally true. Wish more people could ignore the group think social media people that hide behind computers. Too many people take them way too seriously.

#169 5 months ago
    Quoted from Blenderhead:

Band camp and people forgetting about me

Who are you anyway?

#170 5 months ago

Neighborhood pool with a HIGH DIVE….that was my life as a kid. We had a pool with a low and a high dive. You had to be like 8 and pass a swim test to go to the pool without an adult. As soon as I turned 8 I lived at the pool. Lifeguards would give us money and we would ride our bikes to the 7/11 and bring them back Slurpees….you don’t see high dives at neighborhood pools these days. Those were some of the best times I had as a kid…there were bullies but everyone picked on each other….and we all got OVER IT.

Nobody’s mom yelled out “wear your helmet”. And rule of thumb was be home by dark or for dinner which was always about 6. Neighbors talked to each other and knew who’s kid was whose….always a set of eyes somewhere watching and your parents would know if you were up to something. Summer meant getting out of the house as soon as the sun came up…

#171 5 months ago

Using my brother's electric football when he wasn't home.

#172 5 months ago
    Quoted from illudiumQ36:

Using my brother's electric football when he wasn't home.

So basically playing games from the 60s or 70s during the 80s is where it was at?

There might be some hope for GenX after all.

#173 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And back then we could actually beat them up if that is what was called for.
    (that's punching them into submission until they shut up if you're not familiar with that lingo)
    (punching is the act of making a fist and breaking their face with it if you're not familiar with that lingo)

Yeah…real face to face physical confrontation…none of this keyboard warrior shit. I will never forget the time I beat the shit out of a neighborhood bully when I was 8 or 9. His mom had the nerve to call my mom. My mother simply told her that her son is a bully and got what he deserved.

And bring back 80’s smash mouth football….enough of this pass happy every incomplete pass is a pass interference BS. Football is a FUCKING joke….give me coked up LT breaking Joe Theismann’s leg all day.

#174 5 months ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

give me coked up LT breaking Joe Theismann’s leg all day.

That's because only one team got a trophy.

#175 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's because only one team got a trophy.

That’s right! We didn’t have the everyone gets a trophy thing when I grew up. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose and that’s life. And guess what…I turned out just fine.

#176 5 months ago

80's was cool with emerging technology. Things like VHS, the VHS cameras, Sony Walkman, etc. that did impress and did the job, but were huge. Stuff eventually got smaller and better in the 90's, but not by that much, then the 2000's, but now it's amazing what just a smart phone can do.

#177 5 months ago

Previous decades had technology too, but seems like the 80's had the most to what consumer electronics has evolved to. I mean look at D cell boom boxes from the 80's and now you have lithium Ion, blue tooth speakers. Similar portable music tech, but it has gotten so much better.

#178 5 months ago

If you get this then you know your 80’s

IMG_1764 (resized).jpegIMG_1764 (resized).jpeg
    #179 5 months ago

I miss ordering 30 dollars worth of Taco Bell at 2 o'clock in the morning.

#180 5 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Previous decades had technology too, but seems like the 80's had the most to what consumer electronics has evolved to. I mean look at D cell boom boxes from the 80's and now you have lithium Ion, blue tooth speakers. Similar portable music tech, but it has gotten so much better.

Every decade has had further innovations of previous technology…but I would argue that no century on Earth has had more overall advance in technology than from let’s just call it 1900-2000.

Electricity-appliances, music, phones, computers, etc.
    Cars, planes, space travel (moon landing)
    Medical technology. So much was discovered in that century and now we have faster means of further expanding/exploiting that capability…but yet we have learned nothing. Skynet is real. AI will become self aware and destroy us all.

#181 5 months ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

AI will become self aware and destroy us all.

Yay! It’s about time.

#182 5 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The $1.19 gas of the 80s would be $4.29 today.
    Now that the USA gets 100% of it's gas from North America, it's cheaper than a gallon of coffee or a gallon of milk.
    The cheapest gas, adjusted for inflation, is right now!

well its $3.65 a gallon so..................

#183 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I miss ordering 30 dollars worth of Taco Bell at 2 o'clock in the morning.

What, did that get cancelled too? I know you can no longer get these.

572b9b742200008f03255b30 (resized).jpeg572b9b742200008f03255b30 (resized).jpeg
    #184 5 months ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Every decade has had further innovations of previous technology…but I would argue that no century on Earth has had more overall advance in technology than from let’s just call it 1900-2000.
    Electricity-appliances, music, phones, computers, etc.
    Cars, planes, space travel (moon landing)
    Medical technology. So much was discovered in that century and now we have faster means of further expanding/exploiting that capability…but yet we have learned nothing. Skynet is real. AI will become self aware and destroy us all.

Totally agree, but seems like the 80's got good portable consumer electronics that really worked for the first time and it's amazing to see what we have now even though devices do similar things.

#185 5 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Totally agree, but seems like the 80's got good portable consumer electronics that really worked for the first time and it's amazing to see what we have now even though devices do similar things.

It took til the 80s to fully understand and reverse engineer all that tech from the late 40s. Some of it they are probably still working on. Although I had a pretty decent transistor radio in the 60s.

#186 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It took til the 80s to fully understand and reverse engineer all that tech from the late 40s. Although I had a pretty decent transistor radio in the 60s.

But did you have a mix tape?

#187 5 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Agree…the 80’s saw the cassette and CD. Boom boxes too. So portable music was big. The Sony Walkman was massively successful. Vinyl was starting to be phased out and digital music was the new trend. Add in home console gaming systems, computers, and wireless home phones. Portable electronics was the focus.

#188 5 months ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

So....... gas is cheaper now, adjusted for inflation, than it was in the 80s

#189 5 months ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

If you get this then you know your 80’s[quoted image]

attended the world premiere here in st. louis, good times.

#190 5 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

just barely and we're one of the cheap states, thats midwest prices, each coast is $4-6 a gallon

#191 5 months ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I paid $1.94 last night. Some people just live in price gouging places.

#192 5 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Let's see. Gas was about 40 cents a gallon at the beginning of the 80s here and now it is about six bucks.

Are we keeping up with that inflation?

Or should I buy an electric car since electricity has only tripled over the last three years?

#193 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Let's see. Gas was about 40 cents a gallon at the beginning of the 80s here and now it is about six bucks.
    Are we keeping up with that inflation?
    Or should I buy an electric car since electricity has only tripled over the last three years?

See above post. Sounds like a regional issue. Record profits isn't the result of 'inflation'. They charge what they can get away with.

#194 5 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Sounds like a regional issue.

Regional issue?

This is Ca., the fifth largest economy in the world!

Quoted from Zablon:

Record profits isn't the result of 'inflation'. They charge what they can get away with.

What we have is the highest taxes on gasoline in the nation and the most regulations.

And where were these record profits when the state was shut down? I guess you could ask Disneyland about that. They are sure making up for it now.

#195 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Regional issue?
    This is Ca., the fifth largest economy in the world!

What we have is the highest taxes on gasoline in the nation and the most regulations.

yeah just across the river in ill. they have a crazy gas tax too, they are always $1 to $1.50 higher than us. i think it was $4.85 last week

#196 5 months ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

yeah just across the river in ill. they have a crazy gas tax too, they are always $1 to $1.50 higher than us. i think it was $4.85 last week

Perhaps they have pet projects that everybody loves the idea of, but nobody wants to pay for.

#197 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps they have pet projects that everybody loves the idea of, but nobody wants to pay for.

last 3-4 governors have been in trouble with the law

#198 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It's called Chicago.

#199 5 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

It's called Chicago.

Oh, we've got two going on four or five of those.

#200 5 months ago

How's that working out? NVMD, best not to say anything.

There are 1,005 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/things-you-miss-from-the-1980-s/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.