IMG_5211 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2532 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5773 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5769 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5780 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5781 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5782 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,504 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 71.
#1501 9 months ago
Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:

The just released Stern Insider Podcast contains a ton of cool new info on Venom for anyone who is interested:
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/new-details-on-venom-courtesy-of-the-stern-insider-podcast
[quoted image]

Wow , just read through the captions and liking every thing I’m seeing with this . I’m very comfortable with our LE decision . Now it’s feet up in the recliner time

#1502 9 months ago
Quoted from manadams:

Third fan layout in a row for Eddy, hard to believe he designed

I think we‘d be disappointed if he didn‘t do a fan layout - that‘s kind of his thing. In fact this one is so much the fan layout it doesn‘t even have something special in the middle like his other fan layout games do. At least the shots on the right are a little bit further from the flippers than those on the left.

Those mechs for multiple ball pathways on the premium look pretty cool, but the pro still has the vertical locks on each side, the Carnage toy and the VUKs on each ramp. I don‘t think it‘s excessively barren.

#1503 9 months ago
Quoted from Molon_Labe:

Long post - disregard if it bothers you.
He wants pinball to become relevant to the masses and has valid points. Why the pushback? I hate to break it to everyone, but as hot and bothered as the circle jerk here on Pinside is regarding pinball, the general population knows nothing about it. Personally, I had no clue it was still a thing nor did ANYONE who I recently told that I was buying some. You just don't see them in the wild anymore and the few that are at major commercial places like PinStack (major bowling alley chain) they are basically sitting there alone blinking while everyone else is jamming on modern video games, laser tag, skee ball, etc. I went to Pinstack because the Stern pinball locator led me there. When I asked the girl at the counter where the pinball machines were, she said, "What? I don't think we have any of those". I walked around until I found the few they had which were off on their own in obscurity compared to the other games.
The place that has the most pins in San Antonio (7th largest US city, so we aren't talking about rural, po-dunk country America like where I grew up) is a coffee house buried deep within a commercial district that no one would ever find unless they were actively searching for it. I dropped a buck into a couple of modern Sterns and had absolutely no clue what to do in the game except bat the ball around and try to hear callouts which I couldn't make out because they were turned down or competing with the game next to it. I found the older games more enjoyable at the time because I knew what to do. Hell, anyone knows what to do on games from the 80s. My 21 year old son said they were too complicated and spent a wad of quarters on Firepower - go figure.
Most will say "Oh, just hit the flashing lights you stupid moron - how hard can that be?" "What, do you have the attention span of a goldfish or something?" Fine, which flashing lights asshat because the whole machine is blinking and blinding me like the control panel of Chernobyl when it melted down. On the flip side, I can pick up any video game that contains vast amounts of more code and complexity of any modern pin. There is a tutorial that will walk anyone with zero experience through the basics and within a couple of minutes anyone, including a child, will have a firm grasp of the controls and the game objectives. These machines have large LCDs now with the compute power and memory necessary to give tutorials on the rules. They had an excuse previously, but none now other than they simply don't want to be bothered. The only one I saw with rules was a depiction of how to push the start button - thanks Stern that was helpful! If you know the rules, push both flippers to bypass the tutorial - done. Option it out in the setup menu if it's a HUO machine - wow that was difficult.
If you don't think these new games are intimidating to casuals - think again. If anyone thinks a casual will open their phone and Google rules on location when there is a flashy, cool video game next to it - dream on. Pinball had the chance to grab a casual that is now gone - probably for life unless someone spends the personal time to tutor them. That is reality based in facts. Fanboys/girls disliking it or disagreeing with it has zero relevance - it is what it is. If the community wants pinball to remain relevant and capture the younger generations, it needs to adapt. Once the older guys who remember it from the arcade glory days die off, its game over.
Younger generations expect certain things. If you want relevance adapt or don't be surprised to find Stern in the same boat as Circuit City, Sears, Kmart, and Blockbuster. They were generationally found obsolete because the failed to adapt and those that supported them historically didn't have the buying power collectively to keep them afloat. Maybe the few percentage points of the general populace of rich, uber-cool pinbro geeks can keep the industry afloat on their own but I doubt it.
As an outsider with zero skin or emotion in the game - I think KingVidiot is correct on where the industry should be heading. My adult kids (including the 21-year-old mentioned above) and grandkids love pinball now, but it was only after I took the time to explain the rules on the home machine. They are hooked probably for life, but that never would have occurred in the wild - NEVER. It doesn't have to be that way with modern technology. Pinball is fun and its fun to young people. Bring them into the fold and quit telling them to be smarter or less lazy. I sure as hell wouldn't have read a book when I was 10 before dropping a quarter and I would have walked away if it looked too complicated to figure out. I was at the arcade. I had to read and deal with complicated shit in school, this was supposed to be fun. I also only had 3 bucks to my name from skipping lunch. I am not going to waste it figuring something out. Give me Galaga or Flash Gordon.

I've noticed the same thing when we have company over. They start with JP and SM because those are the newer machines all shiny and flashy. They bash the ball around for a game or 2. Even if they have decent ball times, they still don't score high because they don't know how to trigger a mode (let alone complete one). Then they move on to my T2 and DE-TMNT. That's where they'll settle in and play 5-10 games and have fun. The shallow rule sets are just more accessible to novice players.

Now, some close friends of mine who live down the street come over all the time. After enough exposure to JP and me explaining the rules as I play and helping them see the shots light up during their play, they've picked it up and are hooked. So much so that they bought 1 pin already, and are shopping for a 2nd and maybe 3rd. Even created a Pinside account. lol But they've pretty much been ruined for the older games. They prefer the new games with deep rules.

A tutorial mode would be great for home use, but might slow down play on location. Imagine walking up to a machine you want to play and it's occupied by someone watching a 2min video tutorial before they even launch their first ball... I guess if that's what it takes to grow the hobby, then it's a necessary evil. Heck, there's a short clip during attract on my JP that demonstrates the Smart Missile shot. A similar clip could be made for all of the main mode activations.

#1504 9 months ago

Rules being a driving selling point of this game and the code at 0.72 is real concerning. Based on history, we’re about a year (or more?) out until this game is complete. I thought it would be further along based on its supposed release of last year. I hope I’m wrong, but that’s a red flag.

#1505 9 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Rules being a driving selling point of this game and the code at 0.72 is real concerning. Based on history, we’re about a year (or more?) out until this game is complete. I thought it would be further along based on its supposed release of last year. I hope I’m wrong, but that’s a red flag.

If it makes sense , in Elwin’s last interview he said he purposely launched GZ barebones to get reactions from people playing it and adjusted accordingly as time went on . Seems a smart move if this team is following Keith’s advice .

#1506 9 months ago
Quoted from Br81zad:

I've noticed the same thing when we have company over. They start with JP and SM because those are the newer machines all shiny and flashy. They bash the ball around for a game or 2. Even if they have decent ball times, they still don't score high because they don't know how to trigger a mode (let alone complete one). Then they move on to my T2 and DE-TMNT. That's where they'll settle in and play 5-10 games and have fun. The shallow rule sets are just more accessible to novice players.
Now, some close friends of mine who live down the street come over all the time. After enough exposure to JP and me explaining the rules as I play and helping them see the shots light up during their play, they've picked it up and are hooked. So much so that they bought 1 pin already, and are shopping for a 2nd and maybe 3rd. Even created a Pinside account. lol But they've pretty much been ruined for the older games. They prefer the new games with deep rules.
A tutorial mode would be great for home use, but might slow down play on location. Imagine walking up to a machine you want to play and it's occupied by someone watching a 2min video tutorial before they even launch their first ball... I guess if that's what it takes to grow the hobby, then it's a necessary evil. Heck, there's a short clip during attract on my JP that demonstrates the Smart Missile shot. A similar clip could be made for all of the main mode activations.

This is a big reason why Stranger Things tends to get the most casual play in my lineup. It’s easy to tell what’s going on and start modes. Typically people can get a mode or two started, bash a demogorgan and experience the UV lighting in the upside down in a casual game and feel pretty good about it. If they work at it a bit, total isolation 1 wizard mode is an accomplishable goal.

#1507 9 months ago

Anyone else look at the premium and think man, that's got a lot of neat toys that might justify routing it vs a pro....then think, man, that's a lot of unique moving parts and it would be way more trouble to keep running on route than it could possibly be worth?

#1508 9 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Anyone else look at the premium and think man, that's got a lot of neat toys that might justify routing it vs a pro....then think, man, that's a lot of unique moving parts and it would be way more trouble to keep running on route than it could possibly be worth?

Pretty much exactly what I said. It's a neat concept, but so many points of failure on central shots scares me for route

#1509 9 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Yeah the first time an airball takes out that exposed board on the Doppelganger mech would suck for sure. At least they are still making pro's but seem to be fleecing them more than usual and driving private owners towards the premium with the manufacturing wait times.

#1510 9 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The game seems pretty feature rich and complete, it's launching with a 31 page rulebook already established. It seems quite robust already for a game at .72

#1511 9 months ago

Yeah distributors started requiring full payments for le right away. I think it goes to stern now and helps people from flipping spots without money involved. Zach started that a few games back. Maybe just Zach but it’s a thing.

#1512 9 months ago
Quoted from manadams:

Third fan layout in a row for Eddy, hard to believe he designed The Shadow and needed to show more of that side of his design. Two hidden pops should have been replaced with a spinner or two. Yeti art is great but people get tired of having it on every game especially with the color orgy. Many tired of multiple Marvel themes and the Ozzy music rumor not coming true bummed out a few. Prices remain high and people expect more with that being the case.

Ozzy rumor was a complete fabrication of Pinside with zero justification. Don’t see how you can hold that against stern.

People need to stop talking themselves in to believing dumb rumors and then getting pissed when they don’t happen.

#1513 9 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ozzy rumor was a complete fabrication of Pinside with zero justification. Don’t see how you can hold that against stern.
People need to stop talking themselves in to believing dumb rumors and then getting pissed when they don’t happen.

Like all the upcoming vaults?

#1514 9 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Also it’s not mode based might be be a problem for some players. It’s odd to me they didn’t have some Star Wars type modes for each specific player character.

#1515 9 months ago

So are they streaming the Pro tonight or premium? Feels like a waste to bring your most stripped down version to ComicCon

#1516 9 months ago
Quoted from rai:

Also it’s not mode based might be be a problem for some players. It’s odd to me they didn’t have some Star Wars type modes for each specific player character.

Most older pinball was not mode based, so not sure how this is a problem.

#1517 9 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Him sitting at a Stern booth with Todd McFarlane is more than a dumb rumor, nobody is pissed just a few thought it might have a few of his songs in it.

#1518 9 months ago

Lots of (usual) discussion about the LE not providing enough over premium. Seems like Stern has succeeded in creating the perception that a $9.7k! premium is good value.

Value sucks on both based on BoM, and you may lose more on the LE within the first few years, but long term Stern LE’s typically easily outperform premiums. Even at higher 1000 build number.

At least this LE has distinctive foil art and very nice, exclusive side rails along with the mirrored back glass that will add to its “collectibility” over time. Lame though that they didn’t make the back glass art unique.

#1519 9 months ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Lots of (usual) discussion about the LE not providing enough over premium. Seems like Stern has succeeded in creating the perception that a $9.7k! premium is good value.
Value sucks on both based on BoM, and you may lose more on the LE within the first few years, but long term Stern LE’s typically easily outperform premiums. Even at higher 1000 build number.
At least this LE has distinctive foil art and very nice, exclusive side rails along with the mirrored back glass that will add to its “collectibility” over time. Lame though that didn’t make the back glass art unique.

Value on LE has always been nonsense. 3k for powder coat, slightly better speakers, and art blades? Big woop. Perceived rarity to just make a game feel special to people and to fleece customers who fall for it.

#1520 9 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Value on LE has always been nonsense. 3k for powder coat, slightly better speakers, and art blades? Big woop. Perceived rarity to just make a game feel special to people and to fleece customers who fall for it.

So premium buyers aren’t also being fleeced and don’t “fall for it?”

I’m certainly not trying to defend ridiculous LE pricing, or equally ridiculous premium pricing, but reality is that buy and hold LE buyers have done just fine historically. So if you want the LE package and have the discretionary $ why not.

#1521 9 months ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

So premium buyers aren’t also being fleeced and don’t “fall for it?”

They are clearly getting charged way too much, while pros keep getting further stripped down to push prem... I mean they took out a $50 retail part on the pro to sell as a feature as Prem only for Foo. That's nonsense.

One could argue at least with Prem you are getting gameplay differences. LE's are literally around $500 retail in upgrades you are paying an extra 3k on, which have no impact on gameplay, pure cosmetic. So is exclusive art really worth about 2500 to a person?

#1522 9 months ago

Carnage sculpt upgrade is going to be a must on this one. Don’t often add characters to game but this one needs ALL of the symbiotes represented in sculpt form!

We are CARNAGE!

6515101D-DBA3-4F7B-ABE5-A99D9F0C1E61 (resized).jpeg6515101D-DBA3-4F7B-ABE5-A99D9F0C1E61 (resized).jpegCFB95637-06BC-4A90-8483-11162D1DA46C (resized).jpegCFB95637-06BC-4A90-8483-11162D1DA46C (resized).jpeg
#1523 9 months ago

Everything after Godzilla just ain’t for me. Hopefully they have a good theme coming.

#1524 9 months ago
Quoted from rai:

The rules sheet mentions three mini-modes being active at all times with the mini-modes being tied to hosts. It's just combo hurry ups, but Escape from Mos Eisly isn't much more complex than that

#1525 9 months ago
Quoted from J85M:

Carnage sculpt upgrade is going to be a must on this one. Don’t often add characters to game but this one needs ALL of the symbiotes represented in sculpt form!
We are CARNAGE!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks epic, but for the storyline this game is in, Carnage had a much more skeletal look

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1526 9 months ago

I think Stern is about to find out that the well is dry. I love venom and grew up on his comics, but I can’t afford this market anymore. I have several pens I could trade, but trading now is becoming impossible because the distributors aren’t able to liquidate enough assets.

Stern is about to hit a wall.

#1527 9 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:They are clearly getting charged way too much, while pros keep getting further stripped down to push prem... I mean they took out a $50 retail part on the pro to sell as a feature as Prem only for Foo. That's nonsense.
One could argue at least with Prem you are getting gameplay differences. LE's are literally around $500 retail in upgrades you are paying an extra 3k on, which have no impact on gameplay, pure cosmetic. So is exclusive art really worth about 2500 to a person?

I get it, but if everyone was only concerned about function then we’d all be wearing $35 Timex’s.

#1528 9 months ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I get it, but if everyone was only concerned about function then we’d all be wearing $35 Timex’s.

I save the $35 and just look at my phone for the time.

p.s. I like the art on the pro the best

#1529 9 months ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

I think Stern is about to find out that the well is dry. I love venom and grew up on his comics, but I can’t afford this market anymore. I have several pens I could trade, but trading now is becoming impossible because the distributors aren’t able to liquidate enough assets.

You heard it here first (or 9,876th) folks! it’s all over! Stern is doomed.

#1530 9 months ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Maybe but I have heard this for years

#1531 9 months ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

The same people in my circle that have been buying pins are buying this one too. Stern survives to scam the hobby for another game at least!

Excited to get this one and try it out

#1532 9 months ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

And yet there are still plenty of people quietly handing their 10K over to Stern. Jus sayin...

#1533 9 months ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Their distributors will feel it first, depends on how much Stern cares if they suffer and adjusts accordingly.

#1534 9 months ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

And yet there are still plenty of people quietly handing their 10K over to Stern. Jus sayin...

I’m guilty. Bought Maiden premium and Godzilla premium last month.

#1535 9 months ago

Flipnout has le’s available in his store. Never seen that before normally long gone by now.

#1536 9 months ago

I like the idea of using IC to "level up" and save progress. Reminds me of Epic Quest from Pinball FX. I just don't super love the Venom theme. I'm hopeful that Stern keeps using this concept on future games!

Also, the Premium looks awesome. But yikes at the Pro...That's really unfortunate. I know it's already been talked about, but I'm really surprised how much they took out. I don't know if it's as bare bones as Led Zeppelin Pro, but it's a big bummer.

#1537 9 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

Flipnout has le’s available in his store. Never seen that before normally long gone by now.

The LE flippers bailed after they lost the bag on Bond and Foo Fighters.

This market correction is not surprising

#1538 9 months ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

If resale value is a concern, has an LE ever lost more value than a Prem or Pro? If you’re the type to sell games a lot, I think any possible value drop is relative. If there isn’t demand for the game…all models will drop, probably by the same amount. If anything, the LE will likely drop less, because at the end of the day, it’s still the “coolest” version. Let’s say a $10k Prem drops to $8500…at most the $13k LE will drop is $11.5k …you make out the same either way when you sell. But the LE is the only one with the chance of holding or going up, so honestly there’s no downside unless that initial purchase is gonna make you broke.

#1539 9 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

For sure. I'm a Marvel fan but never had a Marvel themed game so this would be all new to the game room if I bought one.

I think your picking a real good one my man

#1540 9 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If resale value is a concern, has an LE ever lost more value than a Prem or Pro? If you’re the type to sell games a lot, I think any possible value drop is relative. If there isn’t demand for the game…all models will drop, probably by the same amount. If anything, the LE will likely drop less, because at the end of the day, it’s still the “coolest” version. Let’s say a $10k Prem drops to $8500…at most the $13k LE will drop is $11.5k …you make out the same either way when you sell. But the LE is the only one with the chance of holding or going up, so honestly there’s no downside unless that initial purchase is gonna make you broke.

Solid point. I rotate frequently and this would be a consideration if not for the fact that most LE payments are required upfront for a game that takes a few months to ship. Makes it hard when I want something to play right now in its current spot

#1541 9 months ago
Quoted from rai:

Agreed. However, the first few pages of the rules talks about mini modes, battle modes, and multiball modes. So there’s that….?

#1543 9 months ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

Where is Mrs. Chen? :p

Wrong universe

#1544 9 months ago

I’m taking some advice from a couple of old timers at work . They tell me there’s the “go go “ years and then the “no go “ years . In other words ,we only have so much time to enjoy physical/mental activities while our bodies and brains allow it . I’m no dummy , I save plenty for retirement and leave behind but enough is enough ,I want to enjoy this life while I can .I want new pinball smell in the house at all times ! Unless you bought a UM ,if you add the cost of any game then subtract $1 a play , does anyone really ever lose anything minus the dudes that sell pins with 30 plays on them for some insane reason ?

#1545 9 months ago

Anyone know if Venom will be at Southern Fried?

#1546 9 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Agreed. However, the first few pages of the rules talks about mini modes, battle modes, and multiball modes. So there’s that….?

Before the current trend of games all depending on modes, majority of the games were open design, you just would trigger modes as extra, the game just didn't depend on modes. Now current games entirely depend on modes. Really older games were essentially the modes, you just had them always available and not some thing you had to qualify and take over the game with, and modes were just extra features you activated.

A game not being mode based doesn't mean it doesn't have modes.

#1547 9 months ago
Quoted from Jai151:

Wrong universe

they keep jumping around in all the universes, you never know who will show up where.

#1548 9 months ago
Quoted from Jai151:

Looks epic, but for the storyline this game is in, Carnage had a much more skeletal look[quoted image]

He did but it doesn’t seem Stern went that route with the artwork or lcd animations so I wanted to do something that resembles the artwork on the playfield which is a more classic looking Carnage, just with a lot more going on than the stock sculpt.

Plus this game needs more symbiotes around the playfield, some of my favourite characters in the artwork but missing in sculpt form.

#1549 9 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That was recorded a few weeks ago. Comic Con code is 0.83.

#1550 9 months ago

Come chat it up with us tonight as we try to do our breakdown on VENOM. We are gonna start an hour after Deadflip's stream starts so feel free to join in after it ends or just have both streams running It should be fun!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.99
Playfield - Other
FlipMods

$ 26.50
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Muskegon, MI
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 169.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 549.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Plastics
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
There are 3,504 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-venom-hype-thread-symboits-welcome/page/31?hl=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.