(Topic ID: 256771)

The TWIPYS Full Results and Percentages

By pin2d

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

olympics game 2020 (resized).jpg
    zzbohmmarrazzo-080112wc5-036 (resized).jpg
    ryan (resized).jpg
    Bull Butter (resized).jpg
    1343947973404_4154910 (resized).png
    d95e13720a3af18f696db4843fcc105f2b64e4b4-2 (resized).jpg
    90814586_203419977613766_8331073773448986624_n (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    IMG_20200315_110356.jpg
    chance (resized).png
    71397787_391315805145655_4961062323553828864_n (resized).png
    IMG_3197 (resized).jpg
    svengoolie (resized).jpg
    71397787_391315805145655_4961062323553828864_n (1) (resized).png
    27em2y.gif
    ZRL5WIB (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #182 Topics and contenders for each award. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Post #214 TWIPY awards video Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanClaytor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#317 4 years ago
    Quoted from pbu:

Obviously, but is that a problem and if so what's the solution? I think if you're trying to look at the TWIPY's as an empirical measurement of goodness you're doing it wrong. It's just a big happy popularity contest. If it's to be an examination of what's "best" then you have to put together some number of "experts" to decide a winner. So the choice is to be called a popularity contest or to be called a bunch of elitists. Neither situation is going to make everybody happy. If someone else wants to start another award show based on the elitist model, great! Both systems have merit, but people will complain either way.

Yeah, I understand this is a tall order I'm about to suggest, but I actually think it would be great to have both a people's choice AND an industry award for pinball. We have a people's choice in the TWIPys, but not really an Oscars of pinball. I don't believe that either are foolproof systems, but I certainly think there's room for both. However...that would require that someone have a lot of gumption and time on their hands.

Speaking of which, I honestly don't know how Jeff does everything he does. He maintained a tradition we've come to expect and appreciate when the TWIPys were in danger of lapsing, all while continuing to provide content for one of the most active news websites in our industry. Cary and Imoto did an incredible job filling some big shoes as hosts. They exceeded my expectations with their professionalism and kept a healthy pace during the ceremony so that it didn't drag on. The TWIPy committee of Steve Bowden, Joel Reeves, William Oetting, Lloyd Olsen, Zach Meny, Greg Bone, and Jeff Patterson, also did a great job of honing the awards from the prior years. What an incredibly time-consuming and thankless job for all of these volunteers. Sincerely, thank you. Each of you.

As some have stated, the TWIPys are in good fun, and while there's truth to that I think it goes beyond fun. It's important to have recognition within hobbies and industries in order to showcase the great work that people are doing within a particular area of interest. Without taking anything away from the winners, unanimous agreement with the final outcomes are impossible and somewhat beside the point. However, friendly competition is healthy and keeps status quo at bay. Someone will, one day, dethrone the current king of design, Keith Elwin. One day, the reigning ambassador and coolest cat in pinball, Jack Danger, will meet a cooler cat. And one day...one day...maybe Nick and I will give Jonathan Joosten a run for best publication.

In the meantime, keep up the great work, Jeff and co. Nick and I were so honored to be finalists for the TWIPys Favorite Publication for our work on
    Coin-Op Carnival, and completely humbled to hear Jonathan's acceptance speech. That meant a lot to us, Jonathan. We're long time readers of yours, too:

ryan (resized).jpgryan (resized).jpg

Here's to many more years of recognition and reaching for new heights, for creators, for organizers, and for voters.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor
    1/2 Coin-Op Carnival

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanClaytor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-twipy-pinball-awards-a-celebration-of-the-hobby-coming-soon-1?tu=RyanClaytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.