(Topic ID: 256771)

The TWIPYS Full Results and Percentages

By pin2d

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

olympics game 2020 (resized).jpg
    zzbohmmarrazzo-080112wc5-036 (resized).jpg
    ryan (resized).jpg
    Bull Butter (resized).jpg
    1343947973404_4154910 (resized).png
    d95e13720a3af18f696db4843fcc105f2b64e4b4-2 (resized).jpg
    90814586_203419977613766_8331073773448986624_n (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    IMG_20200315_110356.jpg
    chance (resized).png
    71397787_391315805145655_4961062323553828864_n (resized).png
    IMG_3197 (resized).jpg
    svengoolie (resized).jpg
    71397787_391315805145655_4961062323553828864_n (1) (resized).png
    27em2y.gif
    ZRL5WIB (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #182 Topics and contenders for each award. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Post #214 TWIPY awards video Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 364 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
    #1 4 years ago

EDIT: The TWIPY Pinball Awards: A CELEBRATION OF THE HOBBY! Voting now OPEN!

Vote here! https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/quiz/twipy-2019-ballot/

-----------------------

Hi all, the TWIPYs are back again!

The TWIPYs are a “People’s Choice” type awards, where the public votes for their favorites in the pinball world. Like last year, we'll LIVE have a show at the Texas Pinball Festival hosted by Zach and Greg from Straight Down the Middle. We'll have guests presenters, acceptance speeches, a cash bar, and all of it will be streamed live on Twitch.

The TWIPY Committee returns, this year it is comprised of Lloyd Olsen, Steve Bowden, Joel Reeves, William Oetting, Zach Meny, Greg Bone, and Jeff Patterson. The Committee will be responsible for determining game eligibility and categories, show and schedule coordination, and most importantly, maintaining the integrity of the voting process through our online secure voting process, and helping review and validate votes and results.

CHANGE FOR THIS YEAR: This year instead of doing write-in votes for categories such as favorite streamers, podcasters, mods, etc., we are going to have options in a dropdown for voters to choose from. This will provide voters with a better voting experience and save time in February for the Committee as we are getting the show planned and scheduled.

Official voting will still run during the month of January. This year we will be opening PRE-VOTING for the TWIPYs starting tomorrow, Tuesday, December 3rd and running through Thursday, December 12th. These will be write-in votes, and they will determine the drop down selections for the January voting. The number of drop down selections will vary by category and determined by the TWIPY Committee.

The pre-voting opens at midnight tonight - I'll post a link tomorrow here morning if no one else has by then.

Thanks!
    Jeff
    This Week in Pinball
    71397787_391315805145655_4961062323553828864_n (resized).jpg71397787_391315805145655_4961062323553828864_n (resized).jpg

#3 4 years ago

Brilliant, thanks Jeff!

#5 4 years ago

Filled up the form and bump to the top

#6 4 years ago

If I understand this new voting system, everyone is basically going to have to vote twice? I’d guess some people could get confused and vote just this first time and think that’s all they need to do.

A suggestion for next year is to have a selection committee choose what they think are the top contestants to form the drop downs and then have a write-in category.

#7 4 years ago

I'd like to see a category for tournament announcing. There are some great announcers out there that really know game rules and how to build excitement (and I'd finally get a chance to vote for CrazyLevi!).

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I'd like to see a category for tournament announcing. There are some great announcers out there that really know game rules and how to build excitement (and I'd finally get a chance to vote for CrazyLevi!).

Half the fun of listening to the PAPA streams is hearing the great Yinzer accents.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

If I understand this new voting system, everyone is basically going to have to vote twice? I’d guess some people could get confused and vote just this first time and think that’s all they need to do.
    A suggestion for next year is to have a selection committee choose what they think are the top contestants to form the drop downs and then have a write-in category.

Great suggestion and we (the committee) definitely discussed that. For this year we put it up to the community to decide in spite of needing to vote twice.

I’m sure we’ll tweak things going forward to make the process smoother each year as we learn what works best.

4 weeks later
    #10 4 years ago

The TWIPY Pinball Awards: A CELEBRATION OF THE HOBBY! Voting now OPEN!

Vote here! https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/quiz/twipy-2019-ballot/

#11 4 years ago

It's a crime pinshaker did not make best new mod list

#12 4 years ago

Some of these options to vote on are ridiculous. Who came up with this stuff?

Favorite Pinball Location? Favorite Pinball League?

The people who live in that city are voting for that cities league or location. Someone in St Louis isn't voting for a place in San Antonio. Let me put it to you another way, if you have a location in Chicago and another in Memphis clearly Chicago is going to win because the market has 6 million people living there vs 1 million.

Pinball is fun but you seriously don't have someone from Kansas City going to a league in New York, no they're playing local. These are simply ridiculous categories because every city in America has a league or spot where people play. C'mon! These are local events and will be voted on by locals. Cities with the most players will win! Dumb category.

I also think there should have been an award for best of the Decade considering we transitioned from 2019 to 2020

Best game of the decade should be added right now! Best New Mod of the Decade! Ect... someone should have thought of that.

This has been a big decade for pinball, one that btw might never be repeated so it should be honored rather than what city has the most voters for a local league.

Just saying.

Best Pinball Company 2010 - 2019
    Best Pinball Game 2010 - 2019
    Best Pinball Designer 2010 - 2019
    Best Mod of the Decade

Lets put more thought into honoring those who've done the most during the single more transformative decade in the history of pinball.

Oh and yes Best Local League of the Decade lets not forget that one. LOL

#13 4 years ago

No VFW in Michigan for Clay? Yea his collection sucks...

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

No VFW in Michigan for Clay? Yea his collection sucks...

Isn’t that place only open twice a year?

Whatever location should be open year round imo.

#15 4 years ago

Hello

Were you planning to do something for the decade that was 2010-19? I think this would be informative. A lot of games from 2019 that are not quite finished and/or people have never seen.

I have a list of pins released int he decade 65+ pins

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pinball-of-the-decade-2010-2019

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

The people who live in that city are voting for that cities league or location. Someone in St Louis isn't voting for a place in San Antonio. Let me put it to you another way, if you have a location in Chicago and another in Memphis clearly Chicago is going to win because the market has 6 million people living there vs 1 million.
    Pinball is fun but you seriously don't have someone from Kansas City going to a league in New York, no they're playing local. These are simply ridiculous categories because every city in America has a league or spot where people play. C'mon! These are local events and will be voted on by locals. Cities with the most players will win! Dumb category.
    I also think there should have been an award for best of the Decade considering we transitioned from 2019 to 2020
    Best game of the decade should be added right now! Best New Mod of the Decade! Ect... someone should have thought of that.
    This has been a big decade for pinball, one that btw might never be repeated so it should be honored rather than what city has the most voters for a local league.
    Just saying.
    Best Mod of the Decade
    Lets put more thought into honoring those who've done the most during the single more transformative decade in the history of pinball.

Great thoughts and thanks for the feedback man. There is a lot of feedback on the different categories and we will use that to make it better each year. Some that seem silly to you are the biggest categories to others, so we're trying to include all things pinball. The committee and myself listen to all the feedback and I have a list for next year to discuss and make improvements, as we did last year too.

As far as best of the decade - that would be an awesome awards show!! The TWIPYs is designed as a yearly awards show though. Tons of accolades would be deserved this last decade because it has been a crazy and awesome decade for pinball!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Best Mod of the Decade

Yes, I couldn't even vote on the 2019 candidates (too soon) but the decade is a big bad time of great pinball.

Best code/rules (?) of the decade?

Best toy of the decade?

Best new feature?

Best newcomer?

Lifetime achievement award?

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Just saying.
    Best Mod of the Decade

I have to agree with this. Some of the categories I had to leave blank, not because I wanted to, but because there wasn’t an option for anyone in the northeast (unless they’re a “pinball traveler”).

NEPL was an option for best league, and obviously only people in New England will be voting for that. But in said league there are a half dozen collectors with un-freggin-real collections that don’t make this list, and then we also have a handful of kickass public locations with killer collections. Not one makes it. So the league makes it, but this hotspot region for pinball that makes this category possible gets no love for locations.

Also, it killed me to see F’ing Cosmic Carnival listed so many times in so many categories. That should only have a spot under artwork and NO other mentions. FFS, they had to redo the PF layout when people thousands of miles away like me took 1 quick look of the PF and reminded those geniuses that there’s no reason to have top rollovers if there’s no way to get up there after plunge! They had to introduce a drop bank with nothing behind to allow a ball to get back up top, and the resulting “orbit” shot just went back into the shooter lane to get up there. That company was dead on arrival. Their ramps, toys, MSRP, and YouTube streams should be in their own category for “biggest laugh of the year”. My local bowling alley with 1 pin has more of a case to be in the “best location” category than Cosmic Carnival has a case to be in the “best layout” category.

...Just so everyone knows how I really feel.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Yes, I couldn't even vote on the 2019 candidates (too soon) but the decade is a big bad time of great pinball.
    Best code/rules (?) of the decade?
    Best toy of the decade?
    Best new feature?
    Best newcomer?
    Lifetime achievement award?

It is a yearly awards like I mentioned...

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

I have to agree with this. Some of the categories I had to leave blank, not because I wanted to, but because there wasn’t an option for anyone in the northeast (unless they’re a “pinball traveler”).
    NEPL was an option for best league, and obviously only people in New England will be voting for that. But in said league there are a half dozen collectors with un-freggin-real collections that don’t make this list, and then we also have a handful of kickass public locations with killer collections. Not one makes it. So the league makes it, but this hotspot region for pinball that makes this category possible gets no love for locations.
    Also, it killed me to see F’ing Cosmic Carnival listed so many times in so many categories. That should only have a spot under artwork and NO other mentions. FFS, they had to redo the PF layout when people thousands of miles away like me took 1 quick look of the PF and reminded those geniuses that there’s no reason to have top rollovers if there’s no way to get up there after plunge! They had to introduce a drop bank with nothing behind to allow a ball to get back up top, and the resulting “orbit” shot just went back into the shooter lane to get up there. That company was dead on arrival. Their ramps, toys, MSRP, and YouTube streams should be in their own category for “biggest laugh of the year”. My local bowling alley with 1 pin has more of a case to be in the “best location” category than Cosmic Carnival has a case to be in the “best layout” category.
    ...Just so everyone knows how I really feel.

You can definitely leave any fields you want blank! And people will definitely vote for the league they're familiar with in their area. My favorite location is in Indianapolis (and the best in the world in my opinion) and that is not in the dropdown.

As far as excluding Cosmic Carnival, it was an original game and original design that came out this year. We won't exclude games from some categories just because we don't like them, we include anything that is eligible.

Also should mention, feel free to PM me any criticisms (or share them here), we listen to all feedback to try to make this better each year.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

You can definitely leave any fields you want blank! And people will definitely vote for the league they're familiar with in their area. My favorite location is in Indianapolis (and the best in the world in my opinion) and that is not in the dropdown.
    As far as excluding Cosmic Carnival, it was an original game and original design that came out this year. We won't exclude games from some categories just because we don't like them, we include anything that is eligible.
    Also should mention, feel free to PM me any criticisms (or share them here), we listen to all feedback to try to make this better each year.

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

The league thing sort of proves my point. It’s not the best league that wins. It will probably end up being the league with the most players. That’s more of a “regional headcount” poll vs. other categories for things like commonly available pins that one can order regardless of location.

Also as it pertains to the best location category, I looked at the first two as I’ve never heard of them. The one in TX with 50 games according to Pinside looks sweet. The next one in TN, may be a great location for TN, but as I mentioned above is at least on par, if not even inferior (IMHO) to some of the private collections and public locations in the northeast. Heck the below photo is a ridiculous location in a local amusement park and these location games are stacked with ColorDMDs and toppers. I’m sure many would consider this a Mecca and yet it’s basically an afterthought up here which again makes me question the selection process.
    3E3DEA15-5C68-46DE-A2F3-41BD04EAAF34.jpeg3E3DEA15-5C68-46DE-A2F3-41BD04EAAF34.jpeg

I don’t know the selection process from the committee, nor do I really care to learn. I voted within the options selected. I just think a “best of” should truly be a “best of” competition and I sincerely question if the best of each category is listed. That’s all.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.
    The league thing sort of proves my point. It’s not the best league that wins. It will probably end up being the league with the most players. That’s more of a “regional headcount” poll vs. other categories for things like commonly available pins that one can order regardless of location.
    Also as it pertains to the best location category, I looked at the first two as I’ve never heard of them. The one in TX with 50 games according to Pinside looks sweet. The next one in TN, may be a great location for TN, but as I mentioned above is at least on par, if not even inferior (IMHO) to some of the private collections and public locations in the northeast. Heck the below photo is a ridiculous location in a local amusement park and these location games are stacked with ColorDMDs and toppers. I’m sure many would consider this a Mecca and yet it’s basically an afterthought up here which again makes me question the selection process.
    [quoted image]
    I don’t know the selection process from the committee, nor do I really care to learn. I voted within the options selected. I just think a “best of” should truly be a “best of” competition and I sincerely question if the best of each category is listed. That’s all.

The dropdowns were determined by the community vote in early December. Locations don’t include private collections, though I wish all of them were my neighbors

It is a people’s choice awards, so like you said, the league with the most votes may not be the “best” league per say.

Thanks as always for the feedback, we 100% listen to all of it to try to make the show better each year.

#23 4 years ago

I partially did the ballot and though I commend you (and team) in arranging and running it, I thought some of it wasn't balanced. I must of missed the community vote thing and disappointed in some of the options in this ballot and sad to see no This Flippin Podcast as well as other things in the options. For example best homebrew personally should a list of games finished in the year of 2019 like the commercial options - you see a game like Dead Flip's as cool as it is looking is not playable, no art etc so odd choice to put in and then where rotordave custom game Led Zeppelin was not included.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homebrew-pinball-games-released-2016-to-current

Things like best league are very localised and seems odd for a global ballot. And favourite competitive player could maybe the top 16 from the IFPA and you list the top 16 players as of their rankings at the very end of the year.

anyway just thoughts, please don't take offense just trying to give helpful feedback

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Some that seem silly to you are the biggest categories to others, so we're trying to include all things pinball

I've found on pinside that some of the overall inconsequential things will get some so fired up its guns a ablaze. There are a lot of different opinions, views, old school, new school, no tech, high tech, collectors, players, stern army, JJP haters, its so all over the place bringing this group together would be harder than getting Nancy and Trump to agree on anything. The fact is none of that has to do with all that matters is results. You may love this new game and your opinion matters because it's your money. But overall 50 people buying a pinball won't keep a company in business, meaning the majority doesn't agree.

So when you say silly to me but important to other I scratch my head there. We already know that. What does that have to do with the point made. You can't have best league or best location, because people on pinside live around the WORLD! I'd bet only 1% of people on pinside has even played in any of the locations you mentioned or leagues you nominated. How can someone judge a league they've never attended? You can't!

However you can judge whether you like the new Stranger Things, because you can go somewhere LOCAL and play it. You should only give out awards on things ALL pinsiders can feel, touch, or experience. Otherwise the person, event, company, location has just won a FALSE award. It would be one thing if you said what locations in America has the best website, digital marketing commercial, you could submit those, review and watch them. What location has the best pinball atmosphere, or the best collection. Those things can be judged because those people trying to win those awards can showcase thru the internet via photos and video. Interesting categories that could actually inspire other leagues, locations to learn from their peers, and inspire them to do better. I think these categories and honestly some of the others make no sense and just can't honestly be voted on.

Quoted from pin2d:

As far as best of the decade - that would be an awesome awards show!! The TWIPYs is designed as a yearly awards show though.

So lastly, as far as this comment. Again this makes no sense. It doesn't matter what TWIPY was set up for, because look at the Olympics, they've changed now they have snowboarding, and this summer they'll offer skateboard. Look at the Academy Awards that has drastically evolved over the years, as categories are added to accomodate how things change. Now they have 8 films nominated instead of 5, new categories have been added like animation films... and I hope one day they add Best Horror/Sci Fi movie.

The point is it doesn't matter what it was originally intended to do but how its used to recognize great things that happen within the industry and to hopefully inspire better things into the future. Each year it should be evaluated, expanded, improved, and if need be totally evolve.

I don't think its a matter of how it was intended originally, I think honestly you just didn't think about it.

How many more decades will any of us last? For many this will be the last decade flip we ever see! We should celebrate the best decade in pinball's history and beg pinball companies to top themselves over the coming decade.

Just my two cents.

#25 4 years ago

So the real question is what is the best company this past decade? What is the best pinball that changed the landscape? What one mod changed how we play and experience pinball? Is there one defining thing that changed the pinball landscape between 2010 and 2019?

Those are things we should be handing out awards to because those answers gave us everything we have today! To ignore that is a massive mistake.

You take Wizard of Oz... I think everyone would have to agree that game is the biggest game changer in pinball history. Massive color screen, movie clips, two upper playfields, first led pinball game, no color inserts, two upper playfields, radcal artwork, operated by computer with the most sophisticated backend we've ever seen! Amazing artwork, with a rail system under the game, wide body, that probably no one could have ever imagined could get built. Stern saved pinball but JJP kicked in the door and showed a blueprint for other pinball start ups. During this decade we went from 1 pinball company to several... would there ever have been an Aliens or Big Lebowski if it wasn't for Wizard of Oz? That game changed everything even if you don't like the game itself. I remember listening to Jack tell a story about how they went to a supply house to buy inserts, and they got screamed at and run out of the store because they only wanted clear inserts. Man that is history right there.

To ignore those accomplishments is simply WRONG!

WHAT GAMES WIN THE ULTIMATE PRIZE BEST OF THE DECADE?

Who would want to vote on that in 2021? Ahh a year late and a dollar short.

We can do it NOW!

#26 4 years ago

Also one year like 2019 has what 6-7 pins most with incomplete code. Or perhaps many have not got a chance to play at all. I just left the whole vote blank because there is not enough information about the games of 2019 yet. Stranger Things came out a minute ago and I’ve never played it or SW home pin or Cosmic Carnival.

I would vote for a decade award ticket and watch the stream. I have no interest in a single year award show of incomplete code pins.

#27 4 years ago

I voted early and realized when I listed to a podcast that what I voted for for best mod has now been removed as an option. Does this mean my vote won't count?

I also think the best location and league aren't meaningful categories since very few people are likely to experience more than a few. Thus these just become contests of where most people live.

Best pinball topper: Some prototype of the BKSOR topper was shown at a show but nothing is available to order and few people have actually seen it. Same goes for the MMR Royal topper and ACNC topper. The Beatles topper came out before 2019 and is no longer available. I feel like I had to vote for something I'd actually seen which narrowed it down quite a bit.

Rookie of the year: Zach Meny, Jack Danger, and Christopher Franchi are all established members of the community who have all been around for a while. How am I supposed to compare a new artist, with a new coder, someone who started a podcast or someone who bought into a distribution business? It seems arbitrary.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Quoted from drfrightner:

So when you say silly to me but important to other I scratch my head there. We already know that. What does that have to do with the point made. You can't have best league or best location, because people on pinside live around the WORLD! I'd bet only 1% of people on pinside has even played in any of the locations you mentioned or leagues you nominated. How can someone judge a league they've never attended? You can't!

These are good points and no matter how this is done there isn't a perfect way to do it. For each category there are likely one or more options that someone is not familiar with, especially with the region based ones like location, league, convention, tournament.

Quoted from rai:

Also one year like 2019 has what 6-7 pins most with incomplete code. Or perhaps many have not got a chance to play at all. I just left the whole vote blank because there is not enough information about the games of 2019 yet. Stranger Things came out a minute ago and I’ve never played it or SW home pin or Cosmic Carnival.

It is also the case with the game specific selections - most people that vote have likely not played every single machine on the list extensively, like you said. More people have played Stern machines than any others because Stern produces so many more machines than any other manufacturer. Like I said, it isn't perfect. (BTW, Stranger Things isn't one of the options.)

Quoted from swinks:

I partially did the ballot and though I commend you (and team) in arranging and running it, I thought some of it wasn't balanced. I must of missed the community vote thing and disappointed in some of the options in this ballot and sad to see no This Flippin Podcast as well as other things in the options. For example best homebrew personally should a list of games finished in the year of 2019 like the commercial options - you see a game like Dead Flip's as cool as it is looking is not playable, no art etc so odd choice to put in and then where rotordave custom game Led Zeppelin was not included.

Homebrew ended up being the most complicated category, we (the TWIPY Committee) spent hours discussing homebrew. I also reached out to the homebrew builders to get more information on the status of the machines. The criteria for homebrew eligibility that the committee ended up voting for was that it has to be flippable, it has to have had a public showing, and has to be an original design. The original design stipulation excluded Led Zeppelin, Wonder Woman, Zelda, Motor City Taxi, etc. Perhaps we should add a best retheme category in future years.

For the dropdowns (like podcast), I was surprised by some of the results too - I couldn't believe the Spooky Podcast, Slap Save, Eclectic Gamers, etc., weren't in the top 10 (plus ties). But those were the results of the pre-voting at the beginning of December that determined the dropdowns.

Quoted from twenty84:

I voted early and realized when I listed to a podcast that what I voted for for best mod has now been removed as an option. Does this mean my vote won't count?

I addressed this on Facebook but not here:

"UPDATE: The Elvira Couch has been removed from the list of favorite mods as it comes with the machine and by definition is not a modification. This was included in error and an oversight on the final edit - I apologize for the error! If anyone wants to change their vote to a different mod, please just submit a new vote (filling in all selections again) and we’ll delete your initial vote. - Jeff"

Quoted from drfrightner:

So lastly, as far as this comment. Again this makes no sense. It doesn't matter what TWIPY was set up for, because look at the Olympics, they've changed now they have snowboarding, and this summer they'll offer skateboard. Look at the Academy Awards that has drastically evolved over the years, as categories are added to accomodate how things change. Now they have 8 films nominated instead of 5, new categories have been added like animation films... and I hope one day they add Best Horror/Sci Fi movie.
    The point is it doesn't matter what it was originally intended to do but how its used to recognize great things that happen within the industry and to hopefully inspire better things into the future. Each year it should be evaluated, expanded, improved, and if need be totally evolve.
    I don't think its a matter of how it was intended originally, I think honestly you just didn't think about it.
    How many more decades will any of us last? For many this will be the last decade flip we ever see! We should celebrate the best decade in pinball's history and beg pinball companies to top themselves over the coming decade.

A decade awards show would be very cool, would be cool for someone to do that.

We are evolving and have spent hundreds of hours making changes every year to try to improve the process and the awards show. We don't even have a sliver of a sliver of the resources that the Olympics or Academy Awards have though. Those events are not perfect and have flaws, and the TWIPY awards are no different. Like I said, it isn't an exact science or a perfect system!

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Just saying.
    Best Mod of the Decade

Sorry none of this makes Any sense? Maybe (1) category for best game of the decade but otherwise no sense at all. Be like going to the Olympics and awards are given to the best 50 yard dash runner for the last 3 Olympics or the Movie Oscars to compete over movies 10 years ago? It’s a Simple celebration and Acknowledgment of the efforts, individuals, accomplishments over the year. Would Stranger Things beat MMr for the decade? Hmmm... based on 20k owners of MMr my guess is no and of little value to know. The show and work they have Voluntarily put into it is Great as is and I am Certain they will continue to refine it for many Decades to come.

#30 4 years ago

Does the ballot not result in an email upon submission? I got one during the write-in phase but didn't get an email when I submitted a final ballot.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Does the ballot not result in an email upon submission? I got one during the write-in phase but didn't get an email when I submitted a final ballot.

We exceeded our limit of email sends we were allowed - we just bumped it up so those should start coming through again, sorry about that.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Homebrew ended up being the most complicated category, we (the TWIPY Committee) spent hours discussing homebrew. I also reached out to the homebrew builders to get more information on the status of the machines. The criteria for homebrew eligibility that the committee ended up voting for was that it has to be flippable, it has to have had a public showing, and has to be an original design. The original design stipulation excluded Led Zeppelin, Wonder Woman, Zelda, Motor City Taxi, etc. Perhaps we should add a best retheme category in future years.
    For the dropdowns (like podcast), I was surprised by some of the results too - I couldn't believe the Spooky Podcast, Slap Save, Eclectic Gamers, etc., weren't in the top 10 (plus ties). But those were the results of the pre-voting at the beginning of December that determined the dropdowns.

Homebrew
    that's why I reached out 2 years ago with the thread which shows finished games and why not apply the same parameters like stern games etc - consider it for the twippy when it is playable, with art, general rules and sounds. Listing half baked games isn't a fair listing as there are a heap of others as well that are half baked - eg Jack Dangers may be flippable but doesn't have art etc is not fair to the guys like Led Zepp and Spaceballs that put alot of effort and finished games is a bit of a kick in the guts for those guys. You are also isolating guys that don't have a show near them, in their state or country - maybe for next year base the selection off finished games with art, music, sounds and general rules as well as posted youtube videos instead of show attendance. I think your categories are getting very biased to pinball shows etc and locations and not aimed at a global melting pot of pinball involvement. Here are the ones I found that deserve to an option for the award.

( 4 Games)

1. Led Zeppelin
    Boardset - Original Bally Boardset
    Retheme - Led Zeppelin , which was a Freedom
    rotordave , NZ
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-bally-led-zeppelin-retheme

2. Legends of Camelot
    Boardset - P3-ROC
    Original Theme
    matirwin , USA
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/legend-of-camelot

3. Spaceballs - The Pin
    Boardset - FAST
    Original Theme
    wolfmarsh , USA
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spaceballs-the-pin

4. Undertale
    Boardset - Custom
    Original Theme
    @KellyCorcoran, USA
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-very-physical-undertale-fangame/page/2#post-4898171

Podcasts
    Why not you just add those other common ones to the list as I am sure many people missed the pre-votes announcement.

#34 4 years ago

I'd like to suggest a Rotten Tomatoes category for next year. (Or a Raspberry award) I realize that might be against your easy going nature, which I appreciate, but it appeals to me and judging by the many characters on Pinside I'm not alone. I'll leave it to you and the committee to deiced how to handle it, if you choose, but it could be fun and I'm certain it would generate a lot of additional interest.
    I can envision one guy winning both Podcaster and Rotten Tomato in the same year.

Best wishes, Jeff, and thanks for all of your efforts.
    b00ef470883730eb2ba47dc6bba24ebdc8b48775 (resized).jpgb00ef470883730eb2ba47dc6bba24ebdc8b48775 (resized).jpg

#35 4 years ago

Afterthought: I've always wanted to start a Pinside Survivor thread where we all could vote people off the island.

Just a random Happy Hour thought.

#36 4 years ago

I was excited to go vote only to see bizarre choices in some of the categories. The community pre-voting was an interesting idea but, for example, a great podcast like the Slap Save podcast doesn't even make the list? How is that even possible? I didn't even hear about this strange pre-voting and I'm guessing others didn't as well.

When I saw what a mess the categories were and the lack of choices I just abandoned my ballot and walked away. I never bothered to submit it as the awards will be meaningless if the choices on the ballot aren't representative of the actual choices in real life.

#37 4 years ago

I just completed voting. I have to agree that I think the Twipy's have overstepped reasonable boundaries by adding so many categories for areas that no single person can possibly provide an informed position on. Examples like Best League, which appears to be meaningless really. I assume the largest league will win.

In any case, it's not really clear what purpose these awards are meant to serve? Doesn't really raise awareness of the pinball community if you need to be "in-the-know" to even find them/vote. And there are so few new games each year that enough people get a chance to play that it really excludes smaller vendors from any chance of winning. So basically to award a couple high profile games that everybody already knows about anyway and recognizes for their "greatness".

Frankly, the whole thing feels like a manufacturered drama to give podcasters something to talk about and pat themselves on the back with. Meh.

#38 4 years ago

Totally agree! Best league? HTFSIK? If you are in a league, why vote for someone else’s? And if you’re not, why bother?

Best location? Please. There are at least 3 very high quality locations in NYC and one in Middletown NY that weren’t even mentioned!

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

I was excited to go vote only to see bizarre choices in some of the categories. The community pre-voting was an interesting idea but, for example, a great podcast like the Slap Save podcast doesn't even make the list? How is that even possible? I didn't even hear about this strange pre-voting and I'm guessing others didn't as well.
    When I saw what a mess the categories were and the lack of choices I just abandoned my ballot and walked away. I never bothered to submit it as the awards will be meaningless if the choices on the ballot aren't representative of the actual choices in real life.

Did you vote for Slap Save during pre-voting?

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Did you vote for Slap Save during pre-voting?

he stated he wasn't aware of the pre-voting ..... like many of us

#41 4 years ago

Jeff - Thank you for all you do. I can't believe how much blowback you get over this, it is a wonder you guys keep putting it on! Seriously, someone doesn't want to vote because the code on games is incomplete? Stern can charge 9k for a pin but we shouldn't pick a favorite at the end of the year because they ship them with incomplete code? Ridiculous.

Lastly a suggestion. There is definitely a need for a "Walter Payton Man of the Year" type of award for community service. The acts of kindness that are generated in this community need to be celebrated!

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hypercoaster:

Jeff - Thank you for all you do. I can't believe how much blowback you get over this, it is a wonder you guys keep putting it on! Seriously, someone doesn't want to vote because the code on games is incomplete? Stern can charge 9k for a pin but we shouldn't pick a favorite at the end of the year because they ship them with incomplete code? Ridiculous.
    Lastly a suggestion. There is definitely a need for a "Walter Payton Man of the Year" type of award for community service. The acts of kindness that are generated in this community need to be celebrated!

All good! Thank you for the feedback. As far as blowback, any awards type show should definitely be held under scrutiny (same with ANY info really).

A Person of the Year is a great suggestion and we've talked about that a bunch, amazing how awesome the community has been this year with everything raised for charities (like Project Pinball) - incredible.

As far as continuing putting it on, thank you haha. It is definitely year by year, it is a labor of love for the hobby, whew.

#43 4 years ago

No Galloping Ghost pinball.
    You guys need to add that for next year. Its a great place to play. Really is.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Sorry none of this makes Any sense? Maybe (1) category for best game of the decade but otherwise no sense at all. Be like going to the Olympics and awards are given to the best 50 yard dash runner for the last 3 Olympics or the Movie Oscars to compete over movies 10 years ago? It’s a Simple celebration and Acknowledgment of the efforts, individuals, accomplishments over the year. Would Stranger Things beat MMr for the decade? Hmmm... based on 20k owners of MMr my guess is no and of little value to know. The show and work they have Voluntarily put into it is Great as is and I am Certain they will continue to refine it for many Decades to come.

I don't make sense I think you don't make sense. Actually you make no sense. I'm not saying there should be a category for best pinball of the decade every year... yeah that makes no sense. in case you haven't noticed this is now 2020, which means when TPF happens in March, it will be three months after the clock turned midnight and ended the decade of 2010-2019. Since this is the TPF directly after the clock switching us to a new decade it only makes sense to have best of the decade award.

Furthermore what manufacturer would work super hard to win the game of the decade? What Pinball company wouldn't want to be the company of the decade? MM that wouldn't count its a remake... there should be an award THIS YEAR for Game of the Decade and it can be added now. Why wait 10 years to add it in 2030? Who knows if there will even be a twippy in 2030. Who knows where pinball will be if it even is popular then... who knows. Many things happen over 10 years so we should honor the people who changed the game over the last 10 years. I'm seriously scratching my head why you think that makes no sense. It doesn't.

Fact is you love JJP, and I'm nearly positive they would win hands down.

As for the show being done by a volunteer group... huh? If you're going to say this awards mean something then you need to do a better job. Adding best league or best location that is just worthless. Totally and anyone who wins that award should accept with a grain of salt. Seriously!

I guess all I'm saying is add something that would inspire discussion, and people's passion for pinball!

#45 4 years ago

voted just now. voted dead flip as best twitch streamer and special when lit as favorite podcast. Jurassic park will win game of the year. I would be shocked if it didn't

#46 4 years ago

“As for the show being done by a volunteer group... huh? If you're going to say this awards mean something then you need to do a better job.”

Thanks Dr. Frightener for continuing to reinforce that stellar reputation you have built. We try to do a good job and we are proud of the outcome.

#47 4 years ago

I nominate Dr. Frightener for the, Wall of Words, Rotten Tomato Award.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Just saying.
    Best Mod of the Decade

I beg to differ regarding Location and Leagues- If you're going to honor the best in pinball than you need to have locations and leagues on the ballot. If it wasn't for them the vast majority of people would never get to experience pinball. Big thanks to TWIP for shinning a light on the people that make pinball great.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I nominate Dr. Frightener for the, Wall of Words, Rotten Tomato Award.

I'd call it the "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit" award.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

I don't make sense I think you don't make sense. Actually you make no sense. I'm not saying there should be a category for best pinball of the decade every year... yeah that makes no sense. in case you haven't noticed this is now 2020, which means when TPF happens in March, it will be three months after the clock turned midnight and ended the decade of 2010-2019. Since this is the TPF directly after the clock switching us to a new decade it only makes sense to have best of the decade award.
    Furthermore what manufacturer would work super hard to win the game of the decade? What Pinball company wouldn't want to be the company of the decade? MM that wouldn't count its a remake... there should be an award THIS YEAR for Game of the Decade and it can be added now. Why wait 10 years to add it in 2030? Who knows if there will even be a twippy in 2030. Who knows where pinball will be if it even is popular then... who knows. Many things happen over 10 years so we should honor the people who changed the game over the last 10 years. I'm seriously scratching my head why you think that makes no sense. It doesn't.
    Fact is you love JJP, and I'm nearly positive they would win hands down.
    As for the show being done by a volunteer group... huh? If you're going to say this awards mean something then you need to do a better job. Adding best league or best location that is just worthless. Totally and anyone who wins that award should accept with a grain of salt. Seriously!
    I guess all I'm saying is add something that would inspire discussion, and people's passion for pinball!

Do you ever Read what you reply to or simple bury it in words? I Said I agree there should be (1) ONE category for game of the decade??? Not asking you to conform but Consider this hobby and the efforts of others might Not be just about what you want. Lol. As for the categories you claim as worthless, if they mean nothing to you simply don’t vote for them! Seems they made that option simple enough no? I value your input but don’t see why you have to crap on the effort they made to help us celebrate pinball? It’s not the Golden Globes, it’s simply a look back at those that contributed to our hobby enjoyment. The Silver Ball ceremony.

There are 364 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-twipy-pinball-awards-a-celebration-of-the-hobby-coming-soon-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.