Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 5.41.51?PM (resized).png
Loterie.gif
SeaFood 4.gif
PK Meow.gif
20240107_192349 (resized).jpg
New location (resized).jpg
IMG_20231223_143302.jpg
QR-code (resized).png
TCM_JP1.0_GameDifficultySettingTable_20231214.pdf (PDF preview)
Paws_BadCats (resized).jpg
Picky Kitty.gif
Picky_Kitty (resized).png
LED Lamp (resized).jpg
Whats up (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 425 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 34 days ago

Thanks for all the beers!

Quoted from Tuukka:

spent hours after hours

You are correct of course. But I do this mostly for my own benefits. To make my games play better, for sure. The technical side of it is great fun -- one small puzzle after another -- but that's not what rocks my boat. I am completely fascinated by the question what makes a game a good game. Stuff like risk-reward, score balance, game progression, multiplayer fairness, varied game play, etc. Maybe one day I will try to design a game from scratch. In the mean time I find that testing different ideas in existing games is a total blast. If you look at the progression of my patches --- Jungle Lord (new tricks), Pembot and TCM --- the changes have become more and more complex. I am looking forward to my next project, which will probably be a WPC.

Therefore, while I really appreciate your tips they are not necessary to keep me motivated. More important has been the input that you provided in this thread. The ideas, and also the feedback on mine, especially from the beta testers. The TCM patch would not be what it is without you!

#402 34 days ago

Occasionally I get asked for the checksums of the patched ROM images for verification that the patching worked correctly. This is not necessary with the xdelta patch format, which uses internal checksum verification. However, since there are other uses for the checksums, here are the MD5 hashes for version JP-1.0:

daf15a5f960368d7ad7e917c124179fd TCM_U26.bin
208f879db303fad4367f2f85a1a7620d TCM_U27.bin

#403 34 days ago

I fully understand your motive to find out how the game software works, what bugs does it have and how to correct them, and even add new features. But you have also taken time to thoroughly test, and let users beta test the new features. That is the key to good quality software.

With the updated SW, users dont have to fear it locks some coil on and burns it, or otherwise get into a situation that breaks the current high scoring game. And while of course the software can be downloaded absolutely free of charge, that is why I recommend users of your ROMs to buy you a virtual beer.

#404 33 days ago

Any plans on releasing a v1.1 with some of the new bug fixes?

#405 33 days ago
Quoted from interconnect:

Any plans on releasing a v1.1

I have implemented most of the changes I want to make but there are a few things on my list left to-do. At the moment, I cannot play my game because the negative side of my high-voltage supply is still bad. Should not be very difficult to fix but I will have to order parts. So this will take a couple of weeks at least, probably longer because work is busy. Since some of the code changes are quite low level, another round of testing will be required. My goal is to send out the test version sometime in June. If all goes well and there are no serious bugs an update sometime in August looks reasonable.

#406 33 days ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

I have implemented most of the changes I want to make but there are a few things on my list left to-do. At the moment, I cannot play my game because the negative side of my high-voltage supply is still bad. Should not be very difficult to fix but I will have to order parts. So this will take a couple of weeks at least, probably longer because work is busy. Since some of the code changes are quite low level, another round of testing will be required. My goal is to send out the test version sometime in June. If all goes well and there are no serious bugs an update sometime in August looks reasonable.

What parts in your high voltage are bad? I probably have them on hand and could send you some if it will help get your game going.

#407 33 days ago

I appreciate the offer! This thread describes the initial symptom and underlying problem (wrongly installed capacitor), as well as the secondary problem I am left with (insufficient voltage in the negative high-voltage side). Let's continue our discussion there.

#408 28 days ago

TCM In The Wild

I'd like to share the following feedback I got as a PM for operators considering the patch:

TCM is working great! I've had it my arcade (along with 43 other pinballs) for the past 4 months. I haven't had any issues.

We added the game back in to our weekly tournament and nobody has complained. Our top tournament players know the differences and think it's fair.

Bad Cats is consistently one of our top played games at $0.50c per game, xxx-xxx plays per month.

I did disable the start-button menu.

If there are other operators running the code, please let me know. I'd like to make a post listing TCM on location.

#409 28 days ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

TCM In The Wild
I'd like to share the following feedback I got as a PM for operators considering the patch:

If there are other operators running the code, please let me know. I'd like to make a post listing TCM on location.

On a slightly related note... I went to an restaurant/arcade here in GA with my brother recently and saw PEMBOT in the wild. Was pretty cool to see that. It was called Melt Yard in Marietta, GA.

#410 28 days ago
Quoted from interconnect:

saw PEMBOT in the wild.

Awesome! Thank you for letting me know.

#411 28 days ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

Finally, here's the link. Your support is highly appreciated.

I tried to buy beers, but it only seems possible with either credit card or Stripe.
I don't have either. Can I PayPal you?

#412 28 days ago
Quoted from Numiah:

Can I PayPal you?

Sure thing! Here's the link. Thank you!

#413 25 days ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

Sure thing! Here's the link. Thank you!

Done. Enjoy your very well earned beers (not enough to get drunk though, just a buzz hehe)
Thank you so much for all your efforts.

3 weeks later
#414 3 days ago

When not buzzing I have been preparing a release candidate for version 1.1. One of the features I have not received any feedback on is they way TCM deals with "phantom" fish target hits. That's when the opto wheel of the fish target stops in a position where even the slightest vibration causes the opto to close. With the current code (which is almost completely identical to release version 1.0) I very rarely get any phantom closures any more, which means that the filtering works quite well on my game. Not that I think that I can do very much about this for the next release, but I still would like to know how this filtering has been working on other games.

This is something affecting mainly those who ran the LA-2 ROM before switching to TCM.

#415 3 days ago

As for phantom fish target hits, here's what mine is doing:

Most of the time, it behaved the way I would expect: slight hit = one closure; hard hit = two or three closures...and every once in a great while, when the wheel was in just the right (wrong) position, it would register several (as many as 6 or 7) phantom hits over the course of a ball, then stop. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, it goes crazy for a minute.

But then just lately, it kind of stopped registering any hits at all, which I'm assuming is a mechanical slippage issue (obnoxious).
Lately, I've also been experiencing phantom drop target hits on both banks whenever at least one drop is down (SUPER obnoxious).
So it's on my agenda to spend some 'quantity time' under the playfield this weekend.

I will report in afterward, if I have any more nuanced observations.
Thanks for all you do!

#416 3 days ago

I have completely rebuilt my machine earlier this year including the linear target which wasn't working when I bought it.
She's up and running for a few months now.
My Fish-bone-us works some sort of predictable.
For a few games I get hardly no hits at all. (when half of the wheel is opposite to the opto I guess?)
Then I get a few games with normal behavior and after that there are a few games with phantom hits.
Those phantom hits usually mean 5.000.000 points with the lit multiplier. Fun, but not quite.

Checking for slippage is unpleasant to do since the mechanism is very well hidden under the tiger ramp.
Although I am willing to investigate further and remove the ramp to see the exact behavior if needed.

#417 2 days ago
Quoted from andylama:

Most of the time, it behaved the way I would expect: slight hit = one closure; hard hit = two or three closures...and every once in a great while, when the wheel was in just the right (wrong) position, it would register several (as many as 6 or 7) phantom hits over the course of a ball, then stop. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, it goes crazy for a minute.

I think that this is consistent with my game: 6-7 phantom hits on a ball when the target is in the "phantom position". I consider this acceptable. With LA-2 stock ROM (or TCM AD52 set to WMS LA-2) I would get dozens and dozens of phantom hits on a single ball. If you do not like any phantom switch closures, you can set AD52 to WMS LA-5, which is what is used when you play ME-OW (hard) rules. The downside is that the fish target will be less responsive.

Quoted from Numiah:

Then I get a few games with normal behavior and after that there are a few games with phantom hits.

This does not sound normal to me. On my game the wheel gets stuck in the "bad position" maybe once every 30-50 games, not "every few games". If you get phantom hits every few games there is something else that's wrong with it, I think. (See also my next post.)

If you want to test the fish target with the glass off, you must first set AD52 to WMS LA-2 so that you actually see all the switch hits. Then you need to remove the ball from the shooter lane, because all fish switch hits are suppressed until the ball has been launched. You can now move the target and you should get a switch closure for every half rotation of the opto wheel but none otherwise. Perhaps I should make a youtube video that demonstrates how the target should react.

There is another test you can do when you think you are getting phantom hits: stop playing the game, remove the glass. Usually (but not always) you can cause additional phantom hits by bumping the playfield with your fist (not very hard). More importantly, if you move the fish target every so slightly, the phantom hits must disappear. If they don't you have a different problem.

#418 2 days ago
Quoted from andylama:

Lately, I've also been experiencing phantom drop target hits on both banks whenever at least one drop is down (SUPER obnoxious).

My game used to have the same problem. Drove me nuts. For several months I "solved" the problem by trying to block LED light from interfering with the drop-target optos with cardboard "light guards" and electrical tape. These fixes always worked for a short while (a few hours to a couple of weeks). After several months of this I finally had the great idea of trying to re-seat the target-bank connectors. This solved the problem completely. My light-guard "solution" worked temporarily most likely because every time I fitted a "light guard" I touched the cables and connectors.

If this can happen to the drop target optos, it probably can happen to the fish target, too. So if you have trouble, you should try to reseat that connector as well.

#419 2 days ago

I very rarely get phantom fish bonus hits. If I do, it’s an extra one or two it seems like.

#420 2 days ago

Same here. Maybe every 30 games. And I very much like it how responsive the target is now, compared to LA-5.

The drop target connector pins may crack their soldering because of vibration. When there are problems, resoldering could help.

#421 2 days ago

That's how it's supposed to work, one or two is great.

Thanks for the tip about cracked pins --- I'll check that later today.

#422 2 days ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

My game used to have the same problem. Drove me nuts...

Ah! Thanks for the insight!

#423 44 hours ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

I think that this is consistent with my game: 6-7 phantom hits on a ball when the target is in the "phantom position". I consider this acceptable. With LA-2 stock ROM (or TCM AD52 set to WMS LA-2) I would get dozens and dozens of phantom hits on a single ball. If you do not like any phantom switch closures, you can set AD52 to WMS LA-5, which is what is used when you play ME-OW (hard) rules. The downside is that the fish target will be less responsive.

This does not sound normal to me. On my game the wheel gets stuck in the "bad position" maybe once every 30-50 games, not "every few games". If you get phantom hits every few games there is something else that's wrong with it, I think. (See also my next post.)
If you want to test the fish target with the glass off, you must first set AD52 to WMS LA-2 so that you actually see all the switch hits. Then you need to remove the ball from the shooter lane, because all fish switch hits are suppressed until the ball has been launched. You can now move the target and you should get a switch closure for every half rotation of the opto wheel but none otherwise. Perhaps I should make a youtube video that demonstrates how the target should react.
There is another test you can do when you think you are getting phantom hits: stop playing the game, remove the glass. Usually (but not always) you can cause additional phantom hits by bumping the playfield with your fist (not very hard). More importantly, if you move the fish target every so slightly, the phantom hits must disappear. If they don't you have a different problem.

Aha! I am on to something. I always thought this was the odd behavior of a linear target.
In this clip you can clearly see the wheel turning through the plastic cover. So it's not slipping.
Tested with LA-2.
Nothing registers and all of a sudden I get hit after hit.

I replaced headers and connectors and reflowed every solder joint while she was apart for the playfield swap.
Also replaced the two rubbers, nyliners and cleaned the opto.
However, I didn't replace the opto. Silly, since its so hard to reach.
This will be my next step. I have some new spares from restoring target banks.

#424 44 hours ago

While we're on this subject of the linear target we had the boards for these recreated and can supply them, however we have not recreated the entire target assembly yet...although it's in the works.

#425 41 hours ago
Quoted from Numiah:

Tested with LA-2.
Nothing registers and all of a sudden I get hit after hit.

If you installed the original Williams LA-2 ROMs for the test, you are fine. If you did the test with the TCM patch installed but with the BAD FISH handler set to WMS LA-2, on the other hand, then your test did not do what you thought it did, because even with this setting the software suppresses some switch hits it knows to be bad. For example when the skill shot is active. If you want to really test the hardware and nothing but the hardware, you should first use the switch test from the diagnostics. If that works and you still have doubts, you can install the original LA-2 ROM, which does not filter the switch target at all. For every full rotation of the opto wheel you should get exactly 4 fish target hits, two for the switch closures and two for the switch openings.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.99
$ 5.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Phoenixville, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 425 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-cat-s-meow-a-new-home-rom-for-bad-cats/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.