(Topic ID: 218255)

The Addams Family - Side art is a decal?

By JohnnyPhantom

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mmr61184
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hey there everyone!
It's been a while since I posted or even visited. I'm sorry, I should visit more often, sit down with you, listen to your tales, eat some cookies while by the fire place. It's just been tricky. My TAF machine has been in storage for over a year now and I miss it

I just recently purchased a replacement playfield from http://www.classicplayfields.com/ to replace my current one in my machine. I'm curious about the side art now. I've never did a playfield swap, so to me this will be a big task, and I'm thinking if I should stop with just that or bring some attention to the side art of the cab. The machine isn't in bad shape, so it's not a urgent matter, but maybe someday I'll need to. I was just watching a Bad Cats restore video on YouTube where the guy peeled off (what he called) the side artwork decal and applied a new one. I never thought the side work was just a decal on these machines. I assumed mine was painted/silk screened on. Is it really just a large decal?

Also, what does everyone think of the vinyl side replacement artwork you can by for your cab? is there any downsides? do they peel at the corners over time? are they worth doing? I'd like to learn all I can about the side artwork of the mid 80s-90s machines.

Thanks everyone, glad to be back!
~John

#2 5 years ago

It was originally screened, although the paint layer can sometimes be picked off and separated from the wood.

Quoted from JohnnyPhantom:

Also, what does everyone think of the vinyl side replacement artwork you can by for your cab? is there any downsides?

It's less durable than the original paint. If the original artwork is decent, keep it.

Also, the prep work that goes into a cabinet before applying the decals can be fairly time consuming.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It was originally screened, although the paint layer can sometimes be picked off and separated from the wood.

It's less durable than the original paint. If the original artwork is decent, keep it.
Also, the prep work that goes into a cabinet before applying the decals can be fairly time consuming.

Awesome, thanks for the reply, I knew it was silk screened, but then when I saw that video, I questioned what I thought.

From what I can recall, the artwork on mine is in pretty good shape, just some spots here and there where the black wore off and some white shows through, nothing that couldn't be touched up with some black paint. Here and there on the bottom is some chips as well, but typically hidden either behind the machine (where a hand truck would have chipped it when being moved when folded) or behind the legs. nothing you can really see, but some day I'll wood putty it and pain those spots.

For the vinyls I was curious if they ever start to peel, and how they look at the edges. Seems tricky to find a close up shot of the corners where the front of the cabinet meets the sides.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

No idea when it started. Williams put a vinyl sheet down on the cabinet side and screened that. So around legs and stuff it may appear to be a decal.

Monster Bash, Cactus Canyon, had decals.

LTG : )

#5 5 years ago

JohnnyPhantom if you decide that it’s too banged up and want to go the decal route I would recommend looking into buying the decals the Phoenix arcade makes. They are being sold on eBay now but if you email Darin directly he will work a deal with shipping and pay less since he won’t get hit with eBay fees.

Agree with everybody else nothing is as good as originals but his are very good and silkscreened too

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-addams-family-side-art-is-a-decal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.