(Topic ID: 43499)

TF Code Updates Only, Post Your Thoughts Here.

By pinball_erie

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by dinot
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballcorpse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Just had a game with new code, here's what I noticed (factory settings all round):

2) If you complete a mode in one visit you get.... wait for it.... nothing (from what I could tell) It would have been so easy to light All Spaks up to double the points as a nice bonus to reward good play, and I suggested this to Stern, but no... nothing. This also applied to OP who I managed to defeat in the first visit (not needing to rely on progress memory as it happens)... so previously beating OP in one visit was essential for game progress, now you get no real benefit at all for killing him the first time round... Not sure if I see that as progress...

I feel this is overly nitpicky. The "wait for it" comment suggests it is an expected result as if every other game offers this "basic feature."

At what point does a player need a reward for every combination of things that can be done? Should a player get a special reward for:

Hitting every shot in the mode without missing?
Fastest completion? (Bumblebee does that to an extent)
Defeating the robots in order on the grid top to bottom etc.,
Defeating every one first time through?
Defeating the robot without using the Allspark add time function?
Lighting all the X shots before engaging the mode?
Lighting the X shots left to right, right to left?
Defeating the robot with a multiball, without a multiball
Making it to Sentinel Prime on ball one?
Cybertron on ball one?
etc etc etc.

The possibilities of awards for super special accomplishments are literally endless and are going to cater to a select few and in general do not add to the excitement since most people won't even see it. (Defeating the robot is the reward-seeing the solid light makes the player say YES!-I did it). The better players (such as you seem to be) get rewarded by reaching goals later in the game, earning GC scores, bragging rights for wizard modes. The problem was too few people were getting the "YES! I did it" satisfaction from beating the main robots. That has changed.

I was thrilled to make it to Roll Out and All Hail Megatron under the old rules, but I knew many people would not. The game should not cater to only very skilled players.

The multiball progression is a HUGE PLUS and will make the game so much more enjoyable for players and owners. I am thrilled for the TFLE owners.

That there are not more special secret awards will not matter. The joy will be in more folks reaching Sentinel Prime (AHM, RO) and Cybertron.

And lastly, congrats to defeating OP and Megatron first time through with progression installed. I did it as well and found it highly ironic and laughed.

Enjoy

#40 11 years ago

The reason for wanting a bonus for defeating a mode in the first visit and not having to rely on progression memory is just to add a little (and easy to code) spice to the game... I'm sure this would appeal to all and would be easy to see to the player why, suddenly, the All Sparks hole is lit this time... Shoot it and I doubled my points I got in the mode!! ah, I get it, I defeated that mode without having to go back to it... Excellent, I should really try hard to do that on my next mode... Next mode: Gotta do in one visit, how can I improve my chances...?? I know, make sure All Spaks is lit before the mode starts... wow, this game has some excellent strategy... As it stands there's no incentive to do well in any mode (apart from Bumblebee)...
Yes you could do other stuff to make the player think, but a one visit mode beat bonus is simple, easy to understand, rewarding to skilled play and adds strategy that all level players will recognise... even a weak player will eventually beat a mode on the first visit, and he'll then see the benefit of this and be driven to play better... It's a motivator... and the lack of it is a de-motivator...
On the subject of what else the new code does and doesn't do:
6) When you complete all sub-modes they don't re-light... this means that if you then start OP (assuming you're playing as an Autobot) and fail to defeat him, after that there is nothing lit on the playfield except for Bumblebee... A novice player would have no idea what to shoot for, the table looks dead (as before)... The knowledgable player knows he has to shoot the center loop (which is un-lit) to raise the bash-ramp.
7) While in Roll Out SJP mode I got the score multipliers going and shot All Sparks... not only did it ignore the shot, but it also took away the shot multipliers (as though it had been used on All Sparks). This is different from when doing this as a Decepticon because here the game will keep the multipliers lit so you can choose another shot...
Not seen what happens of you go into AHM or RO SJP with the roving 3x going... will that move onto All Sparks, or just skip it... Will be interesting to find out!
Clearly the game is easier to get through now, and I'm not complaing about that at all... but my main gripes are that a lovely chunk of strategy has been removed by not allowing All Sparks to have 2x scoring lit while in AHM or RO, and the right orbit shot bug is still there... When in multiball the latter is particularly annoying because you have to time your shot to be outside a 2second gap after any ball triggers the left orbit switch, which is tricky with 3 or 4 balls flying around... I agree this adds strategy, but it's not really the type of strategy I like... getting round software bugs...

Again, I understand completely. The way you post, you are obviously very, very good at this game and are hoping for more to do. It is possible this game is just too easy for you. You are describing things that most people just will not experience on a regular basis, if ever. At least now with the progression, people have more hope.

Think about it-how many of us were posting about Sentinel Prime and Cybertron under the old rules. Not that many. The lack of progression was CRUSHING players.

People are still excited when they reach LITZ or RTU which is great, but these games are almost 20 years old. Seasoned players may not post about those wizard modes, but it is not reasonable to think that people were going to reach SP and Cybertron with a *yawn* been there done that attitude. We will read about it more now, but it still will not be a gimme on factory settings.

I think it is important to look at it from the perspective of what most players are likely to do, not what the upper echelon of players might do. That is why the code is modified.

#45 11 years ago

No sir, this game owns me!!
More to report:
Was in Ironhide and it called out 'Special is lit' 4 times in a row!! What is the point of going there and rocking the playfield if it does this???

A few notes:

1. A player will not get as many specials if the scoring thresholds are changed. On factory they are at 30K. That is too low once the minipf scoring meter increases. Use the menu to change it to the desired scoring levels.

2. Change the award in the mini pf to award Special = Extra ball (amount of specials awarded changed in menu). Granted it is not factory, but it gives the player a *reason* to play the mini pf.

3. Many games are better played on settings that are NOT factory. There is no perfect factory setup of code, so the end user can tweak it; experience will be the guide. Some settings should be harder, some easier. I have cited BDK as a perfect example. Lucius on factory is so unbalanced compared to the rest of the game. I feel it should be set on an easier setting to make it more in line with other goals. The game is more enjoyable. (And yes, I beat it on factory first, but it was a grind)

The same things can be done in TFLE. I seem to recall you were disappointed the TFLE v1.8 code added multiball progression. So, go to the menu, and turn progression OFF for Optimus and Megatron. Now you should be a happy player and those who want progression are also happy

#48 11 years ago

This is good! I will do it! It strikes me as odd that the factory setting would result is multiple specials being awarded!!
I don't like doing this because I see it as cheating... may as well set the game on 4 ball and leave it as special... I don't want to do that either because I want to play on 3 ball... You'll also get an extra ball when doing this if you beat the replay threshold... so that's 5 ball... I appreciate the tip, and have considered it, but prefer to leave the game as factory when it comes to getting free balls...

The mini pf awards cycle through the tiers: spinner, pops, special, then repeat cycle. They get pretty easy to achieve when the switch value keeps increasing in value.

Also, special is NOT the same as replay. Special is lit at the spinner/right orbit. It is NOT related to any replay threshold(s).

And yes, I understand the feeling of the *cheating* concept. The point was: there can be a reason to play the mini pf that appeals to folks. I still think there should be a mini-pf GC score table The extra ball can be set to exactly one special=extra ball. That allows for only one more extra ball over factory (1 at 5 robots, 1 at Starscream, 1 random at Allspark (rare), 1 at mini pf)

For the die hard player, take off all the extra ball awards. That is how IFPA tourneys work. But for the home use, have some fun

#55 11 years ago

I still wish there was a good reward for not having to rely on progress memory for completing modes though despite PBC's damning remarks

"Damning remarks"? LOL

Just observing and responding, my pinball friend

All Hail Megatron!

#59 11 years ago

Good that you know I'm only joking PBC
A corpse and a slave have to have a laugh sometimes eh...!

Of course!

I know internet discussions do not always convey tone.

I also know we'd rather be playing than posting, but we are addicted to playing and discussing, hence we play for a while, and run to the boards to talk about what we found out or research things we don't understand.

I love discussing this stuff. I like rules, strategies etc. I just love playing these new games and discovering what is in there.

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

TF is a great building style game. I love the setup you start to get everything in place. Shot multipliers is fantastic. First time i've seen that in a game. Love it. Adds an entirely new element to setup on how you play and what your going for. TF is fantastic. Probably my second favorite Sterns. LOTR is the top dog way above and beyond all the others for me. TF would be next followed by Ac/Dc and BDK.

FYI-Other games prior to TF have the shot multiplier feature. S-M and BDK for example. S-M does not have a moving 3x shot (3x can be lit at every major shot by winning a mode. You choose what is 3x by making the shot you want). BDK has the 2x and moving 3x shot (after all 2x shots lit) much like TF.

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

SM I don't play enough to know, and BDK's must not be in your face so you know it's happening, because i've played it quite a bit, and never noticed the shot multiplier. What signifies it on the field so you know it's X's 2 scoring for that shot?

On BDK, the X (looks like a mine and says mini-mine multiplier) in front of all the major shots is the shot multiplier. Solid = 2x . When all are lit, the blinking one moves and is worth 3x. The shot multiplier is in addition to the multiplier that can be running for Joker, Batmobile or Scarecrow available at the skill shot, which can be worth 2x based on your shot timing or 3x for the super skill shot (hold left flipper in and launch ball. Then try to quickly hit Joker Batmobile or Scarecrow)

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

PBC: Since I seem to recall that you, too, got to Cybertron before this code update. Is there any difference, or is it the same? If there is a difference, don't tell me about it, just mention it's different. I want to enjoy the changes in real time.

I appreciate your thinking I have, but for the record, I have not made it to Cybertron. Under the old code I had only reached Sentinel Prime (both AHM and RO)

I suspect Cybertron will be in my future. The irony for me is that I am more frequently earning the SJPs in one try. Go figure

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Whoops. Sorry. Must have been thinking about discussion of SP mode or perhaps Tron wiz modes.
That is very funny and ironic that you're now hitting the OP SJP more frequently in one try with the new code. Did they modify the rules of the mb itself? Or indeed only add progression memory?

Not that I can tell. Seems to be the same basic rules to earn the SJPs. I have never had so many one and done trips before. Maybe because there is less mental pressure knowing it can be finished later.

Wish I could chat more about Cybertron but that will have to be a later discussion. Maybe soon

1 week later
#118 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

So anyone getting to the Wiz modes now? I still haven't!

Yes under the new code, SP playing as both factions, but no Cybertron. I had also been to SP playing as both factions under the no mb progression code. The new code definitely allows for more opportunity to reach SP.

And keep at it, you'll get there!

Let us know how you like it

All Hail Megatron!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballcorpse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tf-code-updates-only-post-your-thoughts-here?tu=pinballcorpse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.