Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chet
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

The left flipper on my NF seems weaker than the right one. The right one is very loud as the plunger comes against the coil stop, but the left one does not make near the noise and is spongy. I rebuilt both flippers using all new parts, including plunger, linkage, sleeves, coil stops and and new correct (identical) flipper coils. I replaced the left flipper opto board just to see if that had any affect but that did not seem to make any difference and the optos are registering o.k. in diagonostic tests(switch levels.) I checked to make sure there was no binding. Both the left and the right flippers feel the same when i operate them by hand from the playfield. I checked the EOS switch and it is set correctly, opening only at the end of the flipper stroke. Any ideas, thoughts, comments on what I should check next?

#2 9 years ago

Clean the optos on the flipper button opto board.

New plunger and linkage - even if new - do they move/wiggle freely ?

I'll assume you have a tiny bit of up and down play on the flipper so the pawl isn't binding on the nylon bushing the flipper shaft rides in. You want a little bit of up/down play, not too little and not too much.

Then eyeball the coil stop and bracket holding the coil on, are they in a straight line ? Not leaning in or out ?

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

Thanks LTG, I will do / check these things and report back.

#4 9 years ago

LTG,
I cleaned the optos on both sides. I added a little more up/down play on the flipper shaft and no binding or drag as the flipper is moving freelywith the PF in playing position. Flipper return spring is new and not binding or hanging up. All mounting screws are nice and tight on the flipper assembly, mounting bracket, coil stop. The plunger, bracket and coil stop are in perfect alignment and the coil is very tight against the coil stop. Played a few games last night and the flipper seems a bit stronger now. I will double check the coils resistance but since it is new, I doubt that would be an issue. All power wires are soldered nice and shiny. Double checked the EOS switch and it opens to about 1/8 inch at the very end of the flipper travel just as the plunger bottoms out on the Coil stop. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it alot. I will keep playing and see how it does.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 37.50
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-question-no-fear-left-flipper-is-weak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.