Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-738.jpg
image-509.jpg
image-248.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

New to pins and no game room, I thought I would start with a NIB so I could catch up and learn how to repair etc. Hardly 100 plays and I see some golden powder collecting around the motor shaker just below the left flipper coil. But I could not find any similar issue on any threads beside the black dust that builds up overtime.
I also noticed the left flipper is way louder when kept pressed, but not always.
Am I filing some metal away or something and should I be worried?

Thanks for any advice

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Normal playfield generated stuff. Usually from bumper, slingshot or flipper mechanism components. Moving parts wear out.

#3 10 years ago

That dust looks like brass filings.

If it were mine, I would be concerned and locate the source of those particles.

#4 10 years ago

Plumb bob perhaps?

#5 10 years ago

investigate. not normal.

#6 10 years ago

I know exactly what that is! Had the same on my tron. The shavings are brass from the coil stop on your left flipper. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just get a replacement on order the next time you order for when the left flipper starts to stick up. Find my post in this thread to see a picture of what's wearing:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-upper-flipper-sticking

#7 10 years ago

My Tron did this also. Also only on the left flipper. New coil stop should take care of it.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks everyone... I took the coil stop off and it did look somehow overbeaten but nothing serious. Found out there is a washer in between that was bent from the beating. Maybe its by design to not allow much play while at rest. Was expecting a brass colored coil stop but only the central part is. Did adjust the play on the flipper height. Used a cut old credit card (as suggested in other threads) to register the minimal space on top of playfield and gave it some small extra play below. Extra noise is now gone when leaf is open. Maybe the extra vibration before was shaving off the particles. Flipper feels all right now. Time will tell if the metal dust scraping has gone. Anyhow it was good school. I can say i know a bit more around flipper assembly

image-738.jpgimage-738.jpg
image-509.jpgimage-509.jpg
image-248.jpgimage-248.jpg

#9 10 years ago

My Star Trek pro is doing it on the right flipper. My south park did the same when I rebuilt the flippers. Totally normal in Stern pins.

That washer is a spring washer spacer. It supposed to be bent like that, to take out any play in the coil. It basically helps keep it all tight so the coil doesnt shift/move between the mounting brackets when energized. All normal there.

#10 10 years ago

Holy crap that coil stop/sleeve looks like it's had years of play!

#11 10 years ago

Erak is correct. I would take out that washer you put in and put the spring washer back in.

#12 10 years ago

I am having the same issue. I have cleaned the shavings out several times and they seem to come from all the flipper coils. My cabinet get covered with shavings on a regulars basis so I guess I'm in for a rebuild on the flippers soon.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Erak is correct. I would take out that washer you put in and put the spring washer back in.

It is the original washer. It is a curved disc washer type. Unless others use a different one like the spring one. But i think it would serve a different purpose.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Holy crap that coil stop/sleeve looks like it's had years of play!

Well that's what I thought too when i first saw it. But its a 1 week/100 games.

#15 10 years ago

Seems like a serious lack of quality control...

1 week later
#16 10 years ago

Wow.. after reading this thread, I checked my STLE too and there's the same brass glitter coming from all 3 flippers. after just one month of home use, the coil stops look worn-out like years of heavy usage, compared to the other Stern machine in my game room. is there something else that can be adjusted to prevent this heavy wear?

#17 10 years ago

I'm not sure if this will help, but you might try moving the 'wave-washer' from the stop end to the bracket end of assembly. That way the coil is already pushed back to the stop as far as it can be. As erak said, that helps eliminate coil movement in the assembly, which contributes to the 'buzz' effect you get on a worn flip assembly in the hold position.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strange-glitter-like-dust-on-shaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.