Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 718 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

robo.jpg
    family.jpg
    guy.jpg
    Screenshot_20180602-120325 (resized).png
    bowling_lane.jpg
    20180512_145039 (resized).jpg
    f214296b378c9ec88cd0b7e270c27c35c199428e (resized).jpg
    01adsfasd (resized).jpg
    BM66 (resized).png
    DSCN5798 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5794 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5795 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5793 (resized).JPG
    thLIVP55YF (resized).jpg
    800px_COLOURBOX2630929 (resized).jpg
    ra,triblend_tee,x2150,black_triblend,front-c,367,133,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #34 Ancient playfield pic for comparison Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #100 Summary of Playfield hardness test with gauge by Procrastinator Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #117 Explanation of test method to determine wood hardness. Posted by swinks (6 years ago)

Post #129 Comparing the size of dimples based on hardness. Posted by TimeBandit (6 years ago)

Post #195 What is Maple plywood? How is it made? Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Astropin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#156 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

For fuck sakes. Can I get a "Pinside rating" on this thread? It's gotta be off the charts.

Pretty fricken high.
    Or maybe I'm pretty fricken high.
    Wait... what was I saying?
    Ohhh doughnuts!

#272 6 years ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

I can only speak for myself of course, but the only thing I'm making fun of is how stupid it is say he is an "expert" and able to "enlighten" all about playfield dimpling just because he designs the layout of pinball games. He always has done a good job at that, and he should just stick to doing that and not listen to whoever pushed him into getting in front of a camera and reciting all the phrases and buzzwords (that we have all read here on Pinside and other places dozens of times). Also, obviously a person doesn't have to design pinball game layouts or work for Stern to have an opinion on this subject as we all well know. Anyone that has been around pinball games all of their life, or works a job in a technical field is just as qualified to give you a solid opinion on this subject based on their life experiences.
    It has gotten to the point on Pinside, where people are so self-righteous, that they will tell you what your favorite color should be, and they are serious and indignant about it if you disagree with them. There's nothing left to do but use humor against them - drives control freaks nuts every time. But I don't call people names (like a lot of other people have in this thread) or make fun of their appearance. Dimpled sunglasses on Steve Ritchie is about as "on topic" and appropriate as you can get for the title of this thread - they look cool if you ask me.
    Also, I agree with Robotoes about the level of stupidity in this thread is high, and it all started with post #1.
    I also agree - close the thread.

What the hell are you going on about? You act like you need to have a doctorate in Metallurgy and Dendrology just to figure out that a steel ball is harder than a wood surface.

Steve can't talk about dimples becasue he places toys on playfields for a living (your take...not mine)? Steve can't grasp that steel is harder than wood and therefore shouldn't talk about it?

I just don't get it. This is basic.
    What will hit the ground first...a steel pinball or a maple playfield (trick question).

#275 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

What angle are you dropping that playfield at?

In a vacuum

#403 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Dialed In cannot have dimples. It is simply the best-built, highest quality pin there is!

You forgot the

#417 6 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I'm not saying Stern did this on purpose

You're not....but virtually everyone else is! Post after post in this thread on how Stern has "cheaped out" on the playfields. What a joke.

#434 6 years ago

Playfields out of steel and pinballs out of wood...done & done.

#474 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

You should have let sit in the room for 10 years before playing it.

And clear coated it with the old carcinogenic "good stuff".

#515 6 years ago
    Quoted from fishbone:

Thank you. This proves that not all playfields are created the same and some are more prone to dimpling than others.

It does? It PROVES it?

Someone needs to go back to school.

#548 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

All I can say is just because they've been building pinball playfields out of substandard materials for the entire history of the game doesn't mean someone shouldn't look to improve the situation now.

Because honestly...who cares about some dimpling?

#583 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Come on Vid man, don't get angry, but can we stop moving the goal post? I'm answering your quote above, no hard maple plywood except from N. America.

You you still keep evading the fact that no matter what metal the magnet is made of that metal is harder than the wood playfield...yet that metal is dimpled!

Everyone keeps yelling that their Stern's are more dimpled than their Bally/Williams/Gottlieb's...well no shit...all those games have been around 20 years longer and most of those got played on route.

#618 6 years ago

Give it up vid. Clearly steel is not harder than wood. Clearly Stern "cheaped" out on us and used fake Chinese plywood and magnesium magnet protectors.
    Clearly the Earth is flat.
    Clearly the Easter Bunny went out and purchased name brand candy for my daughter about 3 1/2 weeks ago.
    Clearly "opinion" trump's (pun intended) facts.

#647 6 years ago

"Intelligence score, by state"

Wow...Atlanta pulled up the entire state of Georgia.

1 week later
    #673 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

OK, I've added some light to make it easier to see, and yes there is some dimpling. Which is obvious what will happen when you drop a bunch of steel balls on a 60 year old piece of wood without much protection in the first place.
    Now let's compare it to that BM66 playfield from earlier in this thread and then everybody can decide for them self.

If that was meant to be "scientific" I don't know what to tell you.

#675 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

True. Not many balls are going to drop 6 inches on any play field no matter what era.

#680 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

STTNG does and mine doesn't have a mark. Try that shit with a crappy Stern PF.

I didn't say that...o-din did.

Your STTNG (Which I also own) doesn't have a mark becasue over 25 years it got pounded flat. I can assure you that 24 years ago it had dimples-o-plenty.

#682 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Sorry, no offense meant to you personally but bullshit. With the ball hitting from that height over and over again in the same place there would be a ditch there or some sort of uneven area but there isn't.

So your STTNG playfield is harder than a steel ball...interesting.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Astropin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-discusses-pinball-playfield-dimpling?tu=Astropin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.