(Topic ID: 18209)

Stern quality through the years... Some questions.

By Pinchroma

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by copperpot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0012.JPG
    100_0015.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 11 years ago

The new Sterns certainly have less problems out of the box than the old Bally/Williams did.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I have seen posts rip right out of the playfield from ball hits

This happens in pinball all the time, especially to Williams games. Certainly not unique to Stern.

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Someone not too long ago posted major scoop wear already on a Tron.

That game has been on location for a year. Games that get 16-24 hours a day playtime will show wear, just like a taxi compared to your own car.

The scoop, of course, gets mega wear as it would in MM or any other game.

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

powder coated siderails rust from sweaty hands

Sadly, all these powder coated and painted rails are going to do this.

We have traded "bling" for long lasting stainless steel. Style over substance.

If an operator put painted rails on location, it would take days before kids would have their names carved into the paint.

#49 11 years ago

If you want heavy, then MDF weighs almost 2x what plywood does. MDF is smoother, so it takes paint better too (no grain or pores). In fact, in the 90s Williams made some cabs from Plywood with a thin MDF veneer on the painted side.

If you want strength, then 13 core Baltic Birch is the stiffest 3/4" plywood. Again, very heavy.

If you want hardness, Lumber Core Maple Ply (all 5 cores made from Maple) is quite hard.

I've never heard an operator ever say "Gee, I wish these machines were heavier...".

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Williams and Bally had lots of patents on the flipper control circuits:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-adv.htm

So if Stern went with a dual-winding design without licensing one of these patents, WMS would probably go after them. I suspect this is why Data East went with the single-winding design in the first place. I'd love to know more of the history behind this.

Those patents expired long ago.

You only get 20 years.

That is why you buy complete flipper mechs that are exact copies of the Williams, but do not have any logo on them:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=172&parent=0

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-quality-through-the-years-some-questions?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.