(Topic ID: 18209)

Stern quality through the years... Some questions.

By alexlevy

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by copperpot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_0012.JPG
    100_0015.JPG

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

How is it a license issue ? Dual coil solenoids have been around since the solenoid was invented and almost every automobile has one.

Williams and Bally had lots of patents on the flipper control circuits:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-adv.htm

So if Stern went with a dual-winding design without licensing one of these patents, WMS would probably go after them. I suspect this is why Data East went with the single-winding design in the first place. I'd love to know more of the history behind this.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinb0t:

Thanks for showing me this when I bought the LOTR from you. I've passed this on to a few people who I have caught slamming a PF back into a game.

Works great doesn't it, I guess you either have to lift the back or slam the peg and plastic LIME games.

#53 7 years ago

What is this peg system?

I am clueless on this

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

What is this peg system?

New style playfield support 'pegs'...

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=5550&picno=45193&zoom=1

Old style playfield slide rails...

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=5237&picno=34618&zoom=1

Contrary to what you may read here, the new ones make the bottom of the playfield slightly less serviceable. You can still raise the playfield all the way to access anything under the playfield. They don't affect gameplay in any way.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

What is this peg system?
    I am clueless on this

Stern eliminated the service rails and metal apron on the Less Is More Editions in favor of a couple of pegs and a plastic apron.
    You can't cantilever the PF on the pegs like you can the with the service rails so you either have to lift the back and front to get the PF in or just grab the pegs and slam it in.
    If you want service rails and metal aprons for these models you have to buy them separately.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1956&parent=0

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1969&parent=179

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

...you either have to lift the back and front to get the PF in or just grab the pegs and slam it in

No. You hold the pegs and gently push it past the point where it catches. Then grab the apron and lower it in. I need to make an educational video on this...

The only time the pegs affect your ability to maintain a game is when you need to pull it forward to work on the back. Aside from that, I actually like them because it's easier to access the bottom of the playfield for maintenance.

Stern gets an A for intelligent cost reduction, and a D for customer education...

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Williams and Bally had lots of patents on the flipper control circuits:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-adv.htm

So if Stern went with a dual-winding design without licensing one of these patents, WMS would probably go after them. I suspect this is why Data East went with the single-winding design in the first place. I'd love to know more of the history behind this.

Those patents expired long ago.

You only get 20 years.

That is why you buy complete flipper mechs that are exact copies of the Williams, but do not have any logo on them:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=172&parent=0

#58 7 years ago

And you think b/w doesn't? Want to come check my TOM and FT?

No because you most likley you purchased your games(TOM)&(FT) used.I Bought my TOM New in the box.It is mint no issues. I also purchased New in Box MB and AFM. No issues. I puchased LOTR L.E. New in Box and it has many clearcoat flaws as well as my HUO SM that have wood gain and bubbles in the clear coat. Unacceptible.

100_0012.JPG

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

No because you most likley you purchased your games(TOM)&(FT) used.I Bought my TOM New in the box.It is mint no issues. I also purchased New in Box MB and AFM. No issues. I puchased LOTR L.E. New in Box and it has many clearcoat flaws as well as my HUO SM that have wood gain and bubbles in the clear coat. Unacceptible.

Yep they are used. I bought 3 Stern NIB and so far have had no problems with the clear.

#60 7 years ago

I am sure there were some AFM, MB, & TOM that had issues out of the box come on Rob it's pinball to claim otherwise just because yours were okay is a bit short sighted. Many had SM and LOTR that didn't have the issues you describe. Does that mean none of em had issues? Of course not. Same with the old pins man.

I agree quality control should be very tight on these new expensive machines. What gets frustrating is when pinheads swear Bally/Williams never had any flaws whatsoever or needed any adjustments that is crazy to me.

#61 7 years ago

As soon as Williams starts making pinball machines again we will grade them side by side with Stern, er, wait a minute.....
    Let's not forget that Williams had their "cost reduction" periods as well. As a matter of fact, AFM was one such game. Doesn't seem to have hurt the resale value much.
    Overall I have had pretty good luck with NIB Stern games. TRON was a bit of a nightmare, but the others have needed nothing more than a few tweaks here and there; nothing a few hours of work won't fix. A box opening party usually turns into a game fixing party which I find kind of funny, but so goes the hobby.
    Scott

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from shakethatmachine:

A box opening party usually turns into a game fixing party which I find kind of funny, but so goes the hobby.

Unfortunately this is true. My NIB SM had a severed wire leading to The Daily Bugle insert, and a friends Tron had clearcoat drip on the playfield and a blown speaker. Not horrible problems, but also things that should have been caught in QC.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 199.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside