• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0998 (resized).JPG
IMG_0997 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I've got a recently acquired Stargate (Gottlieb System 3) I'm trying to bring up to speed, and one of the problems it has is a display issue that I thought was outgassing, but appears now not to be, as it looks fine in a High Speed II The Getaway.) It also displays pixels on the entire display during self-test. Where should I be looking for issues? DMD controller board? I've attached a couple photos of the display.

IMG_0997 (resized).JPGIMG_0997 (resized).JPG

IMG_0998 (resized).JPGIMG_0998 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Bad ribbon cable ?

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

I'll check that. They don't happen to be generic between Williams/Bally/Gottlieb do they?

BTW, I'm running v4 of the game ROM. v5 will be on its way to me once the Nor'easter lets up on the PBResource guys.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from ellray:

They don't happen to be generic between Williams/Bally/Gottlieb do they?

Count the pins. Probably the same.

#5 6 years ago

check volages , if okay ,it is most likely the display. gottlieb games drive the dmd at a lower voltage than williams. weak displays show up there first , try the williams display in the gottlieb.

#6 6 years ago

I've got the same thing on mine, I've change C23 and C24 on A5 also check 5,1V but nothing better, try to change capa on DMD and still the same...already eared about problem due to low voltage on Gottlieb but don't know how to regul 110volts

#7 6 years ago

OK, ruled out the ribbon cable between controller and display. The Getaway display worked fine in Stargate. So I guess it's a simple case of tired display with outgassing.

Should I avoid using this display in a Williams/Bally game? Is there something potentially damaging about using it there (for the controller boards)?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from ellray:

Should I avoid using this display in a Williams/Bally game?

I would. Bad displays can be hard on DMD driver boards.

#9 6 years ago

Gottlieb operates the DMD at a lower voltage than WPC games.

So, if you take a display that's outgassing in a Gottlieb and put it in a WPC, sometimes the additional voltage in a WPC game is enough to overcome the outgassing for a while.

#10 6 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I may swap them short-term, depending on how quickly I can lay in a good one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-dmd-display-issue-not-dmd?hl=benhurr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.