SC Z relay (resized).JPG
16DB5FBC-551D-4C70-9365-34FA8647690F (resized).jpeg
DBE75340-65A3-4662-9347-B960BE29BED4 (resized).jpeg
SC B relay (resized).JPG
SC D relay (resized).JPG
SC A relay (resized).JPG
BAA1B719-13E2-44D0-B3AA-0A14C7A67485 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

My cousin has a Slick Chick game that is recently acting up. Specifically, the targets that are supposed to award Slick + Chick are not behaving correctly.

The center target had 3 values - Slick / Chick / Slick Chick). Slick scores correctly, but target is lighted for Chick it scores Slick. Same when lighted for Slick Chick.

Have same issue in lower side target.

Interesting the 2 top rollovers still score Slick and Chick correctly.

When one feature scores for a different feature I believe it typically points to a short between the features.

On this game one of the flipper springs broke (split where bends / tied down under screw). The scoring issues seemed to happen after that. I looked all over for the piece of metal spring as I thought that could be shorting inside the letter bank. Looked hard, but didn’t see it there.

Would appreciate any input on what else may be occurring and how we can resolve the issue.

Many thanks

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from megoman:

The center target had 3 values - Slick / Chick / Slick Chick). Slick scores correctly, but target is lighted for Chick it scores Slick. Same when lighted for Slick Chick.

Not being familiar with the game, I don't know what "scores Slick" means. Can you help us help you?

#3 1 year ago

Game has 9 bumpers on the playfield that spell the words Slick + Chick. The 9 bumpers (5 are pop bumpers / 4 are static) are configured as an X with the I common to both words (photo added below).

Individual letters for each word can be scored in sequence (Must score S first, then L, then I, etc).

When all 9 letters are completed the game scores a Slick Chick and the letter bank resets.

Object of game is to complete multiple Slick Chicks.

The game has features that allow the scoring of The word Slick, the word Chick or both Slick + Chick.

Game has two rollover switches at top of game. One scores Slick. The other scores Chick. These work correctly.

There are also targets that score the word Slick, the word Chick or both.

The top target changes value during play- scores Slick, scores Slick or Slick Chick.

The lower left target scores Chick only. The lower right target scores Slick only.

These are the 3 targets not scoring correctly.

BAA1B719-13E2-44D0-B3AA-0A14C7A67485 (resized).jpegBAA1B719-13E2-44D0-B3AA-0A14C7A67485 (resized).jpeg
#4 1 year ago

I would remove the playfield and give it a good shaking, and remove the mechanical board and do the same until the piece is found.

#5 1 year ago

This is a fun circuit to look at. I'd look at the fact that your lower targets that score "SLICK" or "CHICK" aren't working correctly. Here's the circuit in red that fires the A relay (spots "SLICK"):

SC A relay (resized).JPGSC A relay (resized).JPG

You can see that both the right target switch and the right rollover should both fire the A relay. I'd check that target switch and it's related wiring since you said it works correctly for the rollover switch.

Similarly, this is the circuit the fires the D relay (spots "CHICK"):

SC D relay (resized).JPGSC D relay (resized).JPG

If you follow the red circuit, this is how the left target should fire the D relay. Again, since the left top rollover switch seems to be working, I'd just look at that lower left target switch and its wiring.

The center target that spots either "SLICK", "CHICK" or both uses the E level switches on your score motor. There are 3 E switches - I've colored them red, green and blue here:

SC B relay (resized).JPGSC B relay (resized).JPG

One and only one of those 3 switches should be closed at each of the 3 home positions of the score motor. The way the schematic is drawn, the blue Motor 1E switch is closed, which means when the center target switch is closed, the A relay fires and you would spot "SLICK".

The score motor turns and that opens the Motor 1E switch and closes the green Motor 4E switch. That means when the center target is hit, the D relay fires, spotting "CHICK".

Again, the score motor turns, and this time, the Motor 4E switch opens and the red Motor 3E switch closes. That means that when the center target is hit, the B relay fires through the red highlighted circuit, which spots both "SLICK" and "CHICK". If that circuit isn't working correctly, I'd check those E level switches...they're at the top level of your score motor. You can see them easily and see if a different one closes each time the score motor turns.

I'd check the switches on the B relay as well, since those are necessary to get both the A and D relay to fire to score both "SLICK" and "CHICK".

BUT, since you say this only started happening when the flipper spring disappeared in there, it's probably shorting the circuit somewhere, causing your A relay to fire more often than it should. As pinballdaveh says, you need to see if you can find it and get it out of there.

That Wayne Neyens was a clever guy!

#6 1 year ago

I just spent a few hours with my Slick Chick. The #2 rollover was not working, it didn't follow #1 like it is supposed to do. Unlatching the wingnuts on the relay rack and turning it up to look and the #2 relay worked fine. Turning it back and retightening the wing nuts and it refused to work, finally tightened the right side wingnut and leaving the back one not tight the relay worked perfectly. It also reset every time instead of sometimes needing two attempts to reset.
Slick Chick also has a lot of pretty sophisticated circuits for an EM. It is a heavy game. There is an adjustment point on the front/bottom of the plavfield that makes the five rollovers turn to 10 points early or late. I'd make sure you have it on "Liberal" as this game is not a simple game to beat. Sam Harvey called it a "Jackpot" game and it is. The rollovers are there to change your mind about your goal in the game. If you can get all four out in an early ball, you can absolutely kill that game. This was supposed to be Dave Gottlieb's favorite game. Wayne Neyens told the story of how it was named. They were having a tough time finding a name for it and they went out for dinner and a few drinks and the sign out front said "Slick Chick" the rest is history Roy's artwork was not cartoonish on this one.

#7 1 year ago

Thanks to all for the great feedback.

Went to my cousins yesterday to see work on the game.

Took the playfield off and gave it a good shaking - nothing came out.

Took the bottom board out of the machine and gave it a shaking as well. No broken spring part, but the below gold metal piece came out. Looks like a coil stop, but not sure. Don’t think it’s the cause of any issues.

Scoured inside the game and did not find the broken spring parts. Begs the question of whether the spring actually broke or had it been gerry-rigged prior?

With no spring part discovered, I re-assembled the game. Turned game on and pushed start. Score reels reset, game started and scored motor kept spinning and continuously awarding 30 points.

The only feature on game scoring 30 pts are the #1,2,3,4 rollovers. Checked all those switches and good.

While in the continuous 30 point loop (score motor keeps spinning), other feature on the playfield score points (numbers, pop bumpers, rollovers, targets), however if one of the targets is pressed the continuous scoring loop increase to 50 points.

Clearly a switch somewhere got out of whack when the bottom board and playfield were removed and given the shakes.

Can’t figure out what is causing the score motor to keep turning. Typically I thought it happens when a playfield feature is stuck (a closed switch. switch. Check all the switches.

With this newest issue, was unable to review further what is happening with the target scoring.

Gotta resolve the 30 point continuous scoring issue first.

Thanks for the help with this.

16DB5FBC-551D-4C70-9365-34FA8647690F (resized).jpeg16DB5FBC-551D-4C70-9365-34FA8647690F (resized).jpegDBE75340-65A3-4662-9347-B960BE29BED4 (resized).jpegDBE75340-65A3-4662-9347-B960BE29BED4 (resized).jpeg
#8 1 year ago

There is a switch on Z (30 PT RELAY) that makes the score motor run. But it acts like one of the 30 pt rollover switches is stuck on or shorted. I'd probably examine the tabs and soldering on the back of each of those switches, examine the switches on the Z relay carefully.

There's also the lock-in circuit for the Z relay. Check that highlighted Motor 2B m/b switch and see if it's opening.

If everything looks good, I might desolder one rollover switch leg at a time and see if the errant behavior stops.

SC Z relay (resized).JPGSC Z relay (resized).JPG
1 month later
#9 11 months ago

Haven’t been able to connect with my cousin since the last feedback given regarding the Z relay.

I’ve been asking my cousin to send pics of the relay before my next game visit, but he can’t locate it in the cabinet.

I don’t recall where the Z relay is so I can’t direct him. If someone can send a pic of where it is located that would be greatly appreciated.

#10 11 months ago

Z relay identified and has 4 open switches per the below photo.

Checking that 2B motor switch will require another visit. I did a thorough check of the motor switches during my last visit so I’m not optimistic the 2B switch is the issues

Again motor running continuously happened after bottom board was removed from game and given a good shake to try and find the piece of missing spring.

Gotta be an errant switch somewhere

EB4D5438-EDC9-42D2-BB1A-DBEBA84E2A0F (resized).jpegEB4D5438-EDC9-42D2-BB1A-DBEBA84E2A0F (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Staunton, VA
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slick-chick-scoring-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.