• Latest reply 10 years ago by phishrace
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sinbad scoring.JPG
#1 12 years ago

I have a Sinbad Solid State pinball. I am having problems. I have had the problem since I got it. All of the targets don't score so you can never get more than double bonus. After I bought it they all worked for one night and then no more. This also keeps you from getting extra ball, special, etc. I have narrowed it down with the schematic to the A1-j7-3 on the board. One target on the 3x bonus, one target on the 4x bonus and 2 targets on the 5x bonus and the extra ball rollover. Since the game doesn't know that they are knocked down, I never get more than double bonus and after I knock them all down they don't reset.

I have taken the board off and cleaned with an eraser. I have done the grounding fix, I have done the battery replacement fix and I have put a new cable to the audio board. I also took the edge connector off of #3 and put a new connector on it. This is the only problem with the machine and what I need to try to fix before I try clean it up and change out old parts, etc. Thanks for any help you can give me.

#2 12 years ago

Check if the Prom of the CPU is the good model (Letter)

Take a look to the schematic - What is the relation between all this contacts ('3x bonus, target...) in the matrix - For sure a strobe line , a strobe column or a diode .

So take a look at the connector (pin) of this line , column - and check the diode.
If you have the schematic , send it to me , i'm ready to help/

Lionel.
[email protected]

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

Lionel.
[email protected]

Same here.
I may have Sinbad schematics but won't be able to access them until Wednesday or Thursday.
If all the affected swatches are on one line , do a continuity check from the connector contact to each switch.
Also I have seen the switch matrix diodes go bad .
They are located under the playfield and can be checked with a DMM set to the Diode setting.

#4 12 years ago

If all of the leaf switches are working and the diodes are good, which sounds correct since it was working and not is not, I would guess you have a connection problem. I would use a DMM and put one lead on the switch and the other at the connector to make sure nothing is open. I would also double check the board connector to ensure the pins are bent or broken. If I am repeating things you have already tried I apologize. Good luck.

#5 12 years ago

I am a computer tech, but I still don't get some of this language. If you don't mind helping me and being patient with my ignorance I would love to learn. That is how I learned to fix my pachinkos, computers, plumbing, electrical, etc.

I didn't mention in my original text that there is not a pinball repair person that I can find closer than 3 hours from me....so I am gonna have to figure it out with some help.

Another thing that may or may not help. I bought it and drove it back home 250 miles. The owner had it plugged in and showed me that this was a problem when I got it. (I thought it might be an easy fix) When I got it home and set it up. The game worked perfectly....every target, rollover, bonus, everything. That was the last and only time. The next day it was back to what it was doing and is doing now.

Quoted from lb45:

Check if the Prom of the CPU is the good model (Letter)
Take a look to the schematic - What is the relation between all this contacts ('3x bonus, target...) in the matrix - For sure a strobe line , a strobe column or a diode .
So take a look at the connector (pin) of this line , column - and check the diode.
Lionel.
[email protected]

I'm not sure how to check the prom of the CPU....and what letter should it be? I'm pretty sure it is a strobe line after looking at the schematic, but it gets a little crazy once I see where they go from there. Where would the diode be? I have the schematics, but only in the manual. I don't have a PDF or anything.

Quoted from pdman:

Also I have seen the switch matrix diodes go bad .
They are located under the playfield and can be checked with a DMM set to the Diode setting.

Would these be on the bottom of the playfield or in the bottom of the machine? I saw 5 or 6 diodes in the bottom of the machine last night.

Thanks again for the help!

#6 12 years ago

OK, so if the game played , the PROM is good . The PROM has a sticker Letter B as writen in the article :
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm

Take a look at :
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#smatrix

In your manual , every switch has a number

On the matrix , locate this number (what line , what column )
and check continuity between the connector (from the pin of the line ) and the switch , from the switch to the column..
Check the diode in the middle with a DMM.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from who922:

Would these be on the bottom of the playfield or in the bottom of the machine? I saw 5 or 6 diodes in the bottom of the machine last night.

Yes, they are on the bottom of the playfield, not the cabinet.
They are on the bottom (underside) of the playfield near the top, close to the head.
Not sure on the Sinbad but my CountDown has them on the left side of the playfield.
As I mentioned, check each diode with a DMM set to the diode scale.
One polarity, DMM negastive lead to the diode banded end, DMM positive lead to the other end of the diode, the DMM should read some value (all the diodes should read ~ the same value).
Swapping the DMM leads, the reverse polarity, the DMM should read open.

Also you mention that you replaced the A1J7 connector. Do you mean the connector nylon housing shell or the contact pins that go into the connector housing??

A1J7 is known to suffer from battery corrosion on the contact pins. Did you look at the contacts with a magnifying glass to see if there is any corrosion or bluish crud on the contact pins? Did you replace any contacts in A1J7?
Let us know.
Also do you have the System 1 Guide by Clay?
Let us know.

#8 12 years ago

From Clay's Guide:
Replace Connector Pins.
The .156" Molex single sided edge connector pins used to mount connectors to the power supply, CPU board and driver board most certainly will need to be replaced (especially if there was *any* battery corrosion on the CPU board). Most certainly the CPU board's bottom edge J7, J6 and J5 connector pins will need to be replaced. Also the driver board's top edge J1 connector pins probably too.

Guide is here:
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#connect

Connector part here:
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#connect

#9 12 years ago

who922

Check out my video for a Count-Down I am selling.

At the 1:34 mark to the 1:48 mark you will see where the switch matrix diodes are located.

Hope this helps

#10 12 years ago

So, I decided to make a video of what is going on and what I have already done to the machine. I'm hoping maybe this will help. I did check the diodes on the bottom of the playfield as you will see. They all read 264 with the exception of one that read 024 I believe. Thanks again for all the help!

#11 12 years ago

who

For us to help we need answers to our questions.

Again, Also you mention that you replaced the A1J7 connector. Do you mean the connector nylon housing shell or the contact pins that go into the connector housing??

A1J7 is known to suffer from battery corrosion on the contact pins. Did you look at the contacts with a magnifying glass to see if there is any corrosion or bluish crud on the contact pins? Did you replace any contacts in A1J7?

Let us know.

Let us know.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from who922:

They all read 264 with the exception of one that read 024 I believe. Thanks again for all the help!

Then that diode is possibly defective.
Did you run a continuity check to see where that diode is going, which connector and pin, which switch?

I believe the diode is a 1n34 germanium. That's what I have always used.
You may be able to use a 1n914 or 4148 silicon. Not sure , never used them on the switch matrix. Probably will work.
Rat Shack carries them:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062576&retainProdsInSession=1&numProdsPerPage=60

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

Again, Also you mention that you replaced the A1J7 connector. Do you mean the connector nylon housing shell or the contact pins that go into the connector housing??

Sorry, I'm not better versed in this. Thanks for the patience. on the A1J7 connector, I replaced the edge connector on wire 3. That is the one that all of this stuff goes to. I did clean the board as instructed back when I started doing things just to make sure there wasn't corrosion even though there wasn't much if any visible corrosion.

I did look at the picture in the link of the corroded edge connector. I have not looked at it with a magnifying glass. I have lots of edge connectors. Back when I bought them I followed what the pin repair guide said and bought a big bag. My only problem is that for whatever reason I can not get those connectors out! I bought the tool from Mouser and everything. I ended up breaking the clip on the one that I did replace. If someone has a secret to that I would be glad to hear it.

If you think I need to change all of the connectors in the A1J7, then I will do that tonight.

Quoted from pdman:

Do you mean the online guide? If so, I know where it is and have looked at it. That is how I did the battery fix and the ground fix that was recommended. I don't have a physical book except for the Sinbad manual.

#14 12 years ago

who

You need to check all the contacts in A1J7 and A1J6 at the barest minimum.
Please do that first before doing anything else. Use a magnifier and make sure that there is NO corrosion or acid damage on any of the contacts .

As far as the extraction tool and the tip breaking off, you need to be gentle when trying to extract a contact. I have found that when a contact sticks in the connector housing it is usually corroded. A clean contact usually comes out quite easily.

If you have access to a bench grinder you should be able to fix the extraction tool by taking off each side to get the proper width and depth for the extraction tool tip.

#15 12 years ago

You needn't to change all the pin - because it's not easy .

Give us please the number of the switch out of order.

Take the map of your playfield in the book , every number of switch is writen SWnumber 20 for example= extraball,...SWnXX= rollover A...

What is the number of the contact KO ?

So we will be able to give the number of the pins to change

2 weeks later
#16 12 years ago

So, a new symptom. And no I didn't disappear, however I did have to put the pinball project on hold since I had a leak that has taken out two bathrooms at once!!!

So on to the new symptom. I decided to play a couple of games last night just to relax. I was in my second game when all of a sudden.......................everything worked!!!! Everything....the bumpers, the rollovers, the targets, the specials, the 5X bonus.....everything!!! I was so excited I played 10 or 15 games and it worked right the whole time! I forgot how much I love to play this pin when it all works!

So the question.....Does this give anyone any more insight as to what might be happening? It is just strange. It has been at least 2 years! Thanks again for the help.

#17 12 years ago

My Joker Poker was giving me skull cramps with a display issue. The four digit (credit/ball in play) display quit working. I had a friend with a Sinbad test it, and it worked on his machine. As I was testing continuity on every wire on that display connector, I bumped a wire on the main transformer, just beneath a wire I was testing. I could feel it was loose. I soldered it, and that was the issue.

Can you feel any loose connections anywhere, maybe on the transformer?

Just a thought.

#18 12 years ago

Pins and connectors are the worst cause of issues and System1 .

Don't touch the machine no more except to play

Have fun !

#19 12 years ago

Update: I turned the machine off on Saturday night. Turned it back on on Sunday for my son to play and it is back to the way it was....very frustrating!

I guess I can feel around and see if I feel any loose connections. I haven't to this point. It really is weird that it just happened out of the blue and then returned. I wasn't reaching around in the machine or moving the machine or anything else....just playing.

#20 12 years ago

That's what happened with mine...the display just stopped working. The wire on the transformer was loose enough that it could have even been vibration from a pop bumper made it lose connection.

1 year later
#21 10 years ago

So, FINALLY, I finished my game room!!! All the stuff on the walls (at least the stuff that would fit, I have lots still in boxes) and most importantly, my Sinbad pinball in it's place. However, new problem.

When I would turn it on, I would only get the playfield lights...nothing in the back glass. I tried turning it off and on to no avail. So I decided I had lost my power supply board which was pretty old. I went ahead and bought the Rottendog Power Supply board and decided to change out to a Rottendog Driver board while I was at it. I received both of them quickly and put them on last night. NO CHANGE!!

So I decided to change a couple of fuses...the 1/4 and one of the 5's. Now the glass would come on partially, but not completely. See Pic. After a couple of off and ons, it would play, but not keep score or show the ball in play. I noticed the bottom didn't look the same, so I wondered if playing the 3 and 4 player would keep score. It gets really weird now. It completely skips the 3rd player! It will play Player 1, 2 and then 4. 4 does keep score correctly.

While it is playing, it still has the original problem that I listed here. I was hoping maybe the Power Supply or driver board would fix that. No luck!!

Any help is appreciated. Football season is over, so I do have more time to work on my pinball...especially since the game room project is finished!! Thanks again!!

Post edited by who922 : Rotate pic

Sinbad scoring.JPGSinbad scoring.JPG
#22 10 years ago

I had a hell of a time trying to get my Sinbad game to boot every time and performed to following:

Removed and sanded every single ground connection in the head. And added one on the MPU and one one the power board, and one on the driver board. These are required, even when replacing with new boards.

Removed all the boards in the game and cleaned every edge connector on the back side with fine 600 grit sand paper. Then cleaned each with rubbing alcohol.

Installed a 3 AA battery pack (WITH BLOCKING DIODE) and then the game booted.

Once it booted, I went through every single test step and cleared every single setting using the large red button on the MPU in the head. If you don't perform this, the game could be expecting a digit but something else entirely could be "stuck" in the audit memory, depending on what state the game was left in the last time it successfully called up it's audit information.

You can also turn to pinwiki for some more tips about getting the game to boot consistently..

#23 10 years ago

I already did all of the ground modifications, including the battery pack. I haven't taken all of the edge connectors off and sanded them. If I do get it to boot correctly after doing that, is the test/audit procedure outlined in the pinwiki? Pushing the white button above the coin mechanism doesn't work because of the problem I have in the picture. Nothing changes.

#24 10 years ago

I know, you will have to get the game booting and the displays working properly in order to clear each audit item. If the game doesn't boot, then the test mode/audit modes will not work either.

Keep in mind that just because the game kinda plays does not mean it booted properly. Mine did that kind half-ass played junk all the time.

Honestly, your overall problem regarding the display issues look and sound like a connector issue. I would sand the edge connectors of all the displays while you are working on them and also look to see if there are any broken pins inside those connectors.

I know you said that you performed the ground mods but did you check them with a multimeter to check for continuity between all the points you added? Also check that the Head<-->Cabinet grounds are removed, sanded and re-screwed down and tested with your meter as well. Also check that the coin door ground is removed, sanded and re-screwed down as well. Also check the grounds in the bottom of the cabinet. I never got my game working consistantly until I checked and cleaned them ALL. There are over a dozen ground points in the game counting the ones you add!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from who922:

Back when I bought them I followed what the pin repair guide said and bought a big bag. My only problem is that for whatever reason I can not get those connectors out! I bought the tool from Mouser and everything. I ended up breaking the clip on the one that I did replace. If someone has a secret to that I would be glad to hear it.

If you haven't replaced all the edge connectors, you shouldn't ask for any more help until you do. Just about all the problems you're listing can be due to bad edge connectors. Using a small, skinny screwdriver to eject the pins will work.

While you're doing them, also remove the CPU board and inspect the fingers where the edge connectors connect. Often they can be worn, especially at the PS board connector. If some fingers are worn, clean them with alcohol and flow solder on them to make them conductive again. It's somewhat of a hack, but has worked for me (and lasted).

The edge connectors are a poor design. If yours are original (35 years old), I suspect they are the cause most of your problems. You're wasting time working on anything else if you haven't replaced those connectors.

#26 10 years ago

Crud! Too bad I can't ask for any more help. I guess I better get to work! Thanks!

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from who922:

Crud! Too bad I can't ask for any more help.

I didn't want to word it that way, but that's basically the truth. Until you replace those edge connectors, you're chasing your own tail. I learned about the edge connectors from Clay's site:

"These card edge connectors are rated for 25 "cycles" - that is 25 removal-installs. Over the life of a 20+ year old System1 game, certainly this life span has been exceeded. Combine that with battery corrosion problems and vibration from game play, and it's obvious that any Gottlieb System1 game will REQUIRE all the main connectors to be re-pinned. If you want your System1 game to work reliably, YOU MUST RE-PIN ALL THE CARD EDGE CONNECTORS."

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#power

From my experience, he's absolutely right. Get those edge connectors replaced and I'll be happy to help you with any remaining issues, as I'm sure others will.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sinbad-pinball-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.