Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pinfidel
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-355.jpg
    image-213.jpg
    DSCN1014.jpg
    DSCN1013.jpg
    DSCN1017.jpg
    timeshock.jpg
    188041-i.jpg
    photo 1 copy 2.JPG
    mini12.JPG
    pump.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    fb1.JPG
    fb2.JPG
    DSCN0941-448.jpg
    DSCN0941.jpg
    20121209_142353.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boogies.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I brought that up in the Hyper-pin forums in a post about how they are putting the plasma or LED DMD's in there cabs to emulate real pinball, when "real" pinball is switching over to LCD technology that they do not want to use.
    When I suggested to my buddy to keep an LCD in his cab to be ahead of the curve, he told me that he wanted to be authentic. I explained in 5 years it will be as I see all manufacturers going to LCD technology for color and expense.

It's one of those catch 22 - grass is greener on other side kinda things...

Real pins want to be newer, different, refreshed.
    Virtual pins want to look real.

It makes logical sense to me.

I've had the real LED DMD for a about a year. I love it, but I miss being able to have TS in green, TSPP in Yellow, etc.... I liked the colors of the LCD, but the brightness of the LED DMD. I guess you can't have it all

1 week later
    #89 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

"For those that have ACTUALLY PLAYED a virtual cabinet, would you recommend one"

Yeah, but then you have people that tryed a UltraPin when it first came out

Quoted from Multiball1:

Of those that have experienced it, what is your opinion on the value of paying up for one with full forced feedback vs. a plain jane model?

I love having the full blown experience - It fells more like you are playing pinball, basically enhancing the whole experience.
    My stern games have knockers, and most of my games have shaker motors hooked into something - so it's kinda better than the real thing I suppose there are a few people that don't like shaker motors or knockers

IMO, I like Jack's (ebay link) specs - bang for buck they are the cheapest. I really hate his backbox appearance. His DMD/speaker grill is also his trim piece around the front monitor

IMO, these are more valuable to a pinhead with smaller collections. With more than 10 real machines, I would imagine the apreciation of this might be a little less

#106 10 years ago

A 16:9 ratio is gonna be a 16:9 ratio if it's a 37" or a 47".
    Most HQ tables (widebody or standard) are usually angled and skewed so that you get a portion of the back splash wall or maybe less of the apron as needed, so that it is asetically correct.

IMO, the widebody looks nicest, because it can have larger monitors, thus making the filler smaller if any.
    The Mini-cabs and the PK2K cabs can also have that filled look.
    A standard cab can fit 37" internal, or 40" routed out, or inside the rails.
    A widebody cab can fit 42" internal, or 47" routed out, or inside the rails.
    Any real cab (*See Below) with a 42" or less will have a frame matte, or filler, since even a 42" will not be the full length of the playfield.
    A 46"/47" will fill the entire playfield from the lockbar to the back - if done properly, you can use a filler and NO frame matte. I used a custom light bar to fill that gap in the back - the monitor filled the length, but it was recessed, and needed some kinda filler.

*Custom cabinets can be made to the monitor sizing. This makes it look alot nicer from a player perspective, but definately looks smaller when put next to another machine.

#109 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I'm having trouble visualizing this.. mind elaborating or providing some pics?

On this vid, at the beginning ~ 0:42, you can see the light bar.
    It's a piece of steel that I cut to size, drilled 42 holes for the leds, grinded a diamond plate kinda pattern on prior to bonding my 7 CREE RGB's. I then used frosted mini-bulb covers to cover them. It's a PIA, but it's very rewarding.

BTW, In Brad's VPCab last picture directly above this post, you can see his light bar as well. His cab features a 39" recessed monitor, and doesn't have a frame matte, which is a perfect example of nicer looking individually. The con to it, is it'll look a bit smaller than a real pin. IMO, that's OK, just figured it'll be better to be informed. Just like my vid, I was initially disappointed by alpha-numeric games on my DMD ~ 13:00. It just took a minute to warm up to it.

Oh yeah, in another plug for VPcabs, his backbox is nicer looking than any of the other commercial builders that I've seen.
    I custom made my backbox for a 32", and it's about 2" wider than a standard backbox. IMO, it looks good since it's on the widebody cab. People usually forget than widebody's have standard backboxes, so most people wouldn't even have noticed, since it's overhang is actually less than a standard body.

1 week later
    #137 10 years ago

Quaddro's are for business design - CAD architects are there main "selling audience". Businesses look at this stuff as a requirement for CAD, not looking at gaming video cards.
    I am using a 480GTX ~ roughly a $200 card. It has 1.5gb VRam - runs everything great. The higher end cards run HOT! Touching the heatsinks can be as hot as a pan on the oven

I'm using an 2 LED TVs, and an LED DMD - they runs pretty dang cool, but you gotta keep the heat in mind. The CPU, GPU, and my polk sub(and amp) are all inside there ready to warm things up.
    I have 6 - 200mm fans, + 1 - 120mm fan (with a thermostat display) so it' doesn't get too hot inside my cab.
    Without enough cooling, you can easily fry components.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boogies.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/should-i-buy-a-virtual-pin?tu=boogies and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.