5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pinfidel
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 28 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-355.jpg
    image-213.jpg
    DSCN1014.jpg
    DSCN1013.jpg
    DSCN1017.jpg
    timeshock.jpg
    188041-i.jpg
    photo 1 copy 2.JPG
    mini12.JPG
    pump.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    fb1.JPG
    fb2.JPG
    DSCN0941-448.jpg
    DSCN0941.jpg
    20121209_142353.jpg

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 years ago

Ok, here's the deal...I'm limited on space. I can cram 1 more machine in my house. I was thinking of a FT or a Nascar, but something fun and cool. So, I've been watching the sale threads waiting to pounce. But now I'm thinking, should I get a VP. That way I'd have 250 pins at my disposal to play. Nowhere near as having the real thing of course, but kinda cool just the same.

So, what do you guys think? Which way would you honestly go? Thanks for your the help and suggestions.

I was trying to add a poll, but it doesn't show me where to add it. I'll add it later and edit this if I can figure it out.

#2 5 years ago

I vote no.

Play them on your phone or iPad. Get the real thing for your space.

LTG : )™

#3 5 years ago

No, No , Hell No......... Should you buy a Blow up love doll instead of having a real live girlfriend ?
    One is real and feels good and will leave you with no shame, the other is a virtual pinball.

Friends don't let Friends Play Virtual pins.

So NO !

Brian Lenker
    Madison hts, MI
    586-344-0721

#4 5 years ago

If you have space for a real pin there's no reason to substitute a fake one.

#5 5 years ago

I say yes as many title have gone to high in price your best chance to own CV AFM TOM and many more you can always rotate to game out the door as you would any other

#6 5 years ago

wtf, is this a completely different thread or is my ipad shittin the bed?

#7 5 years ago

Well I have to go against the flow on this one. Yes I love real pinball better, but I am never going to be able to afford or have the room for 200+ machines. So here is my reasons for:

1: My home built Virtual-pin allows me to play all of the most popular machines anytime I want.
    2: It helps me decide which real pins are really fun and worth actually buying.
    3. Takes up a lot less space
    4. It's a huge hit when I have party's

I don't think VP's physics will ever match a real pinball, but they are pretty close.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bribo13:

Should you buy a Blow up love doll instead of having a real live girlfriend ?

It's a hec of a whole lot cheaper! LOL

Thanks for the advice.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

It's a hec of a whole lot cheaper! LOL
    Thanks for the advice.

If thats the case get a dog. I taught mine to get a beer from the fridge long before my gf!

#10 5 years ago

Thanks for all the great comments.

Quoted from Mahoyvan:

wtf, is this a completely different thread or is my ipad shittin the bed?

Can you say...Deja-Vu? LOL No, your I-pad is fine. I started this thread and wanted to add a poll question. It wouldn't let me until after I posted the thread. Then, when I made the Poll, I clicked add thread and it created a second one. This one without the poll and a second one with it. Unfortunately, you can't delete a thread so up it stays. Sorry for the screw up.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

If thats the case get a dog. I taught mine to get a beer from the fridge long before my gf!

Dogs are super expensive. Spent $1,200 on our dog. Then $700 on dog stuff. Then almost a grand on Vet visits in only 4 months! Plus, when we'd go away we had to kennel her at $15. a day. Plus food etc etc.

Not to mention all the aggravation and the cleaning bill for her pissing on our couch...TWICE!

To top it all off, I was so allergic to her, my sinus are still messed up and we gave her away to some friends last May!

No more dogs for me again. Shoulda bought a Pin.

This story is not an exaggeration. All fact.

#13 5 years ago

Play virtual pinball on your PC. It doesn't add that much to the effect when you put a PC inside a pinball cab and play it on a bigger screen.

#14 5 years ago

I had one. I sold it, if you're a fan of the real deal it's just nothing like it and ultimately frustrating. But honestly the only way to tell is to find someone with one and play it. It's a cool way to learn about other pins, but not a substitute for the real thing.

#15 5 years ago

Yeah, I hear you both. I have to figure out a way to play one for myself. Thanks guys.

#16 5 years ago

I built a virtual pin - it was a really fun project. I had high hopes of downloading hundreds of games and having all sorts of variety. The biggest issue (and maybe this was just my setup), was the flipper delay. If I played my vpin and then moved over to a real pin, all my shots would be way off. This alone made it undesirable for me to play.

I sold it, and I just play pinball arcade on the PS3.

#17 5 years ago

my buddy built one of these and it looks pretty dam good.

IMG_7232 (2).jpg
    #18 5 years ago

I built one before buying real pins and it was nice to play a lot of machines but it's definitely not the same as the real thing. Also, even though there are a lot of machines available for you to play a lot of them are not all that great (but usually are being worked on). Pretty much anything by jpsalas is great but the quality of tables sometimes leaves much to be desired. I actually found a lot of the older machines "translated" better to being virtualized. Now that I have a handful of machines I don't play the virtual anymore. I do play the pinball arcade on my table quite a bit though so I might suggest that route as well.

I built a small (3/4 size) table using some old montiors 27"/19" and ended up getting a 37" TV and building a bigger one and while a bigger one is better I actually kind of like the idea of the tabletop virtual pin if you're going to build one. I think I might actually go back to that just to keep the machine alive. The small one was still pretty fun for what it was.

So maybe build a small one and get a real machine.

#19 5 years ago

Never, ever... ever. ~SpOoKy

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Ok, here's the deal...I'm limited on space. I can cram 1 more machine in my house. I was thinking of a FT or a Nascar, but something fun and cool. So, I've been watching the sale threads waiting to pounce. But now I'm thinking, should I get a VP. That way I'd have 250 pins at my disposal to play. Nowhere near as having the real thing of course, but kinda cool just the same.
    So, what do you guys think? Which way would you honestly go? Thanks for your the help and suggestions.
    I was trying to add a poll, but it doesn't show me where to add it. I'll add it later and edit this if I can figure it out.

Absolutely. It was my most expensive pin purchase and worth every penny.

If you know what your doing, you can tweek games so they play pretty much like the real thing. I have no flipper delay or anything with mine. Tables I tweek out, feel very original.

#21 5 years ago

I got to play an Ultrapin once. I would rather have played the games on the TV.

#22 5 years ago

Ultrapin is a piece of shit. Don't buy one. It will skew your perception of Virtual pins.

A real virtual pin playing visual pinball is the shit. High end processors, and graphics cards.

#23 5 years ago

Many (most?) of the people who trash virtual pinball have never actually played a modern, high-end virtual cabinet.

Extrapolating how one thinks it might play based on what they've seen on the desktop PC is a just plain wrong.

If I had room for 40-50 pins and $250-$300k sitting around to spend on all the ones I'd want- then I too would forgo virtual pinball. However, till I get there, it'll be part of my collection.

#24 5 years ago

Yes.... Aside from the fact that I do build mid sized ones and may be a bit biased, but all of the space and money reasons ARE the reason to have one. Ultra pins are terrible....and look weird. Current generation hardware runs the tables fine. I DO own a couple of real machines, but playing the virtual allows the variety and expandability that is nice. As time goes on tables and programs keep getting better also. The Zen pinball series and pinball fx offers a whole different type of video game pinball that can't be done in the real world..the pinball arcade once fully configurable and once it gets maybe a couple hundred tables eventually could surpass the need to visual pinball or future pinball. PBA arcade definitely looks the best IMO.

#25 5 years ago

as said already, dont buy one... but well build one by your own
    you'll be more than happy as it

#26 5 years ago

Yes. It's exactly what I did and why. I have two pins, a MAME cab and a Visual Pinball cab. I built my own and I think it's a good way to go. The latest VP builds (9.2x) are incredible and scratch my itch for the real thing just fine. I've had mine for 7-8 months now and play it nearly every day, so it's definitely a keeper.

#27 5 years ago

Simply download the software and try it out on your desktop. Try all the tables that you would be buying the pin for and see if it's something that you absolutely have to have or if it's something that's just kind of cool.

It's going to play exactly the same on your desktop vs in an actual cab. The difference being your POV and the added force feedback options if you decide to go that route.

I created my own cab and it turned out pretty nice. Had all the bells and whistles and it was absolutely the most fun I've ever had on a project. I did end up selling mine with the intention of building a new one, but the more I started playing real pinball, the more I got irritated with the physics of VP/FP.

I enjoy real pins way more now, and if I get the itch to play some of those expensive tables I'll never own I can always load up VP / TPA on my desktop.

#28 5 years ago

I've been very tempted as well to build a VP. For me I'm just too used to real pinball and feel like I rather put the money towards a full size game. If I had more money spend I would be tempted to buy a VirtuaPin but for now I'm happy playing the Pinball Arcade on my iPad.

#29 5 years ago

Yes, if you can, PLAY one before you decide....

The catch is, they are not all created equally

Homemade ones can vary the full spectrum from earth-shatteringly awesome to outstanding to "ok" to poor

If you want a good reference, "commercially" available version, look at VirtuaPin. These are top-notch.
    As others have said, avoid Ultrapin.

Looking at one of these, or comparing it simply to your desktop to make your decision is like saying you decided not to but a Williams Medieval Madness because you tried Stern's The Pin once and didn't like it

#30 5 years ago

I am against the grain here. I really enjoy my virtual pin.
    I agree it is not a great "substitute".
    But, If I play a game I am not familiar with, in the hopes of buying...try a PC.
    But if I play a favorite I no longer have, my experience with the title tricks my memory and I am vary satisfied.

Cost is an issue, but we have seen some $750-$1000 virtual pins in the Florida Market, which gives one a chance to try, and flip if not right for them. I have all the respect for the $3000 versions, they are superior to the smaller ones above. But for me, I wouldnt spend that money on it....

Perhaps you can get a few hours on one....play both new and old games, ones you have never tried, and ones you know inside out to gauge the experience value.

Still not a real one, but likely the only pin they will let me have when I get to a Nursing home...

#31 5 years ago

Just looking at the models on the VirtuaPin website and I'm wondering what model would be closest to a standard body pin? The 37"? Is the 42" best for wide body games and the 47" if you want something over the top?

http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=2252aea60a88eed339dd45969443728b

#32 5 years ago

A 37" TV is all that fits in a standard cab.

#33 5 years ago

My virtual pin had a 46" screen, and the hand-built cabinet was roughly the dimensions of a wide body.

#34 5 years ago

No. But playing on a big tablet or a mid size is fun. If you have an old monitor that is the right size building one of your own can be fun. If I could only have one pin, it would be a tricked out VP like Neo has. Washer motors, full PC inside running all the simulators. Monitor for backglass. But still no.

Is there full cab support for Pinball Arcade yet or we still waiting? THAT would be a big deal, to me.

#35 5 years ago

Try before you buy, the VP physics are dreadfully awful. If you can live with it, have fun!

#36 5 years ago

I traded my VirtuaPin. I purchased a 42" widebody a few years ago because I only had the space for one pin. At the time I was also debating getting a Tron LE but the idea of playing "every" table seemed really appealing. I regret my decision.

#37 5 years ago

If you want one to replace a real pin then the answer is no.

If you want a really fun video game about pinball in your gameroom to mix things up, then the answer is yes.

Members of a pinball forum will always say pack as many pins in a room as possible. I personally like a little diversity, even though pinball is my favorite gameroom item.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from bub2010:

A 37" TV is all that fits in a standard cab.

Not true. Our standard body cab has a 39" LED. It's the closest to an actual playfield. VPcabs.com

image-438.jpg

#39 5 years ago

If you dont' want to build it. virtuapin.org is where mine came from. I have the widebody extreme and love it.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If you dont' want to build it. virtuapin.org is where mine came from. I have the widebody extreme and love it.

Those look awesome. How does the display look on the game? I saw on the site that they sell just the displays and they are $1k+. I know they are commercial displays so I was just wondering how they stack up against say your typical consumer LCD's.

Thanks!

#41 5 years ago

He now uses real LED DMD's. Mine has the monitor style, and you can't tell the difference really. Personally I prefer the small monitor system, so when I play alphanumeric games, they look like real alpha numeric displays.

#42 5 years ago

A potential selling point for me would be having a smaller machine that I could fit in a space that won't accommodate a full-sized pin. Does anyone have experience with one of the compact models? If (and I know that's a big "if") all else is the same, a smaller table might just be the thing that tips the balance the other way.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

A potential selling point for me would be having a smaller machine that I could fit in a space that won't accommodate a full-sized pin. Does anyone have experience with one of the compact models? If (and I know that's a big "if") all else is the same, a smaller table might just be the thing that tips the balance the other way.

My buddy purchased one. They're really nice but they have limitations to how you can upgrade due to the compact size. If you care about force feedback you may want to avoid.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Craig. Here is our VPcabs Mini. It is full featured and can be fitted with forced feedback if desired. We keep a good stock of these. If you're interested PM me and I'll work up a price for you depending on what features you would like.

m2.JPG

photo 4.JPG
    #45 5 years ago
    Quoted from shakenbake:

Here is our VPcabs Mini.

I'll check it out. I'd also be very interested in hearing from others who have used it. Also, will you be at Allentown this year?

#46 5 years ago

Heres another next to a full size pin.

mini6.JPG
    #47 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

He now uses real LED DMD's. Mine has the monitor style, and you can't tell the difference really. Personally I prefer the small monitor system, so when I play alphanumeric games, they look like real alpha numeric displays.

That's the funny thing, when I was building all the virtual guys were scrambling to run real DMDs to make their cabs feel authentic (I know I did) and the people with real pins can't wait for ColorDMD to let them stick an LCD screen in instead of a plasma or LED display.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from shakenbake:

Heres another next to a full size pin.

Some food for thought, if you virtual pin makers put MAME in the pin cabinets and wired up a joystick with buttons i would buy one in a heart beat.

#49 5 years ago

Do VPCabs and VirtuaPin run the same systems? In other words, are the hardware specs the only difference, or is software also an issue?

#50 5 years ago

We both can run the exact same systems.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.95
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Other
    PinBoss Mods
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    $ 117.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside