• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

elvira_3040911.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Hello all,

I am looking for some insight. I have a chance to move to a Scared Stiff home use only machine for my Cirqus Voltaire (not home use only but in good shape). It will be pretty even up. I am more concerned about game play and rule depth. Should I give it a kick at the can?

#2 12 years ago

Elvira... yum

#3 12 years ago

Scared Stiff gets my vote.

CV is a beautiful machine, but SS is a lot more fun to play and has better lasting appeal IMO.

#4 12 years ago

There arent too many owners of a CV that are willing to trade it on.

#5 12 years ago

SS is a more appealing theme to me and I enjoy the game more.

#6 12 years ago

I'd take the CV for depth and rule play.

#7 12 years ago

I had a nice CV and traded it. I loved it but, I actually do not miss it too much. I have a SS coming soon from GAP and can't wait to get it. I love the theme.

#8 12 years ago

elvira_3040911.jpgelvira_3040911.jpg

'Nuff said...

#9 12 years ago

I've got both and really enjoy them. It's pretty even really but the fact that your SS is HUO may be the deal breaker. CV's probably bring a higher $$$ total and I probably enjoy the wizard mode more on CV (although SS spider multi ball is good but extremely hard to get too). The theme of SS is probably better unless you have kids then maybe CV would be a better fit.

Bottom line is if you told me I had to pick only one I'd probably take CV just cause of all the stacking abilities. Makes for a better game to plan out. SS is just a little on the easy side.

#10 12 years ago

If I had two SS's I would trade both for CV.

#11 12 years ago

I would rather have a CV myself. Pinball is so personal though, it really depends on what you think of SS and how much you love or don't love your CV.

#12 12 years ago

Scared Stiff easy... Such a beautiful playfield..simple rules,super fun but NOT easy!

I hear alot about this game being to easy..i must be hopeless cause i find it rather challenging to conquor the Stiff O Meter

Cirqus has wicked Cabinet art appeal and some awesome stand-alone features but dosn't come together as a whole nearly as well as Scared Stiff...IMHO ofcoarse

#13 12 years ago

My vote would be for SS, though I've spent more time on it than on CV.

#14 12 years ago

Many prople forget or don't know that SS has two wizard modes. The "Stiffometer" is pretty easy to get and a challege to complete, the other is much more difficult to start and many people own the game for years without realizing that it exists. To start the "Spider Wizard mode" you need to collect all the spider awards in the backglass.
Elvira has hidden depths, just as you would expect of the little minx!
CV is the hardest game to find but I prefer SS.

#15 12 years ago

I like both. Tough choice and at some point might make same choice - CV or SS. Love the ringmaster and light shows on CV and I love playing SS. Trouble is without owning either, I would not know which one will lose appeal the most? Really tough decision. CV's getting harder to find whereas SS still easy to find.......I would want a real close look at the SS to see just how good a condition it is.

#16 12 years ago

I have a CV and I had a SS. I like them both. I still have the CV so I guess I would take the CV.

#17 12 years ago

I currently own a SS and it is a great game that I plan on keeping for a long time. Great overall game that is not crazy deep or hard and it is a blast to play. Played a CV multiple times and plan on owning one down the road as I like it alot as well just haven't locked up a deal for one yet. I would go with the HUO SS as i think it would be harder to track down another HUO SS in the future. CV seems to be pretty easy to find if you want one. Is there any money being exchanged or even trade?

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from emo:

SS has two wizard modes. The "Stiffometer" is pretty easy to get and a challege to complete, the other is much more difficult to start and many people own the game for years without realizing that it exists.

To add to the confusion, the Spider Mania wizard mode was not available in the earlier ROMS!

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

I would go with the HUO SS as i think it would be harder to track down another HUO SS in the future. CV seems to be pretty easy to find if you want one.

They made 4000 SS's and only 2700 CV's. I would think that would make CV harder to find.

#20 12 years ago

Both great games, but I enjoy SS more. Elvira's quotes and voicecalls are the best to ever grace a pinball machine.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I would think that would make CV harder to find.

CV is harder to come by than SS no doubt about that.

#22 12 years ago

CV is a faster flowing game then SS but I do like the ramp shots on SS. The quotes on SS are really well done but long term playability has to go to CV. Stiff o meter is easy to get to and complete (done it twice in one game). Spider multiball while it may be a fun mode is extremely hard to get to with the likely hood of stoping the spider on things already completed. CV wizard mode & Party Multiball was well thought out and even better with the home Roms.

When it comes down to comparing the 2 against each other I'd say CV would get more check marks then SS but doubt you would be disappointed with either. Hell just keep your SS and go buy a CV from someone. (:

#23 12 years ago

Wow after all this debate over the 2 pins it got me into playing SS more & I finally reached Spider Multiball....A very fun mode. I'd only seen a friend get there once & could hardly remember much about it.

#24 12 years ago

Thanks For all the insight. I wound up going with a Wizard of Oz. Got a trade on it I couldn't refuse. Go figure. There is just something about a new pin! Just stinks I got to wait now.

#25 12 years ago

Welcome to the club.. We are all very eager. It is gonna be a great Christmas for us pinheads.

#26 12 years ago

Somehow I have a feeling we won't be getting our WoZ pins till after the new year. There is always a lil trial n error time with something new and I'm sure Jack is gonna want it done right before he starts shipping them. I have no problem waiting though.

#27 12 years ago

True. I will be fine whenever it gets here. Same with Tron LE

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Somehow I have a feeling we won't be getting our WoZ pins till after the new year. There is always a lil trial n error time with something new and I'm sure Jack is gonna want it done right before he starts shipping them. I have no problem waiting though.

I agree. I'm expecting in March. But it would be great if it was sooner.

Oh and back to the question....SS. Theme is very important to me. If I don't like the theme, I don't care how good it plays. And I don't like CV.

#29 12 years ago

I am fine with waiting as well coast.
LOTR is already a handful and TRON will be here soon enough...
Spring is cool.
Rainy days are made for Pinball!!!
As well as- Drinks! Drinks! Drinks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

£ 37.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 249.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 39.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

£ 38.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-or-cirqus-voltaire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.