Rottendog MPU 327 System 7 issue

By taylor34

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey--

Not sure if anyone is familiar with this board or not on here, having trouble getting ahold of Jim so I thought I'd try this. Basically, when I turn it on with just the power connected as advised in the instructions, the led's only blink on and then turn off the rest of the time. When I press the test switch, I get the led's to blink twice about a second apart. That's all the activity I get. Is my board bad? Kind of seems like it. The power going into the board is 5.1v, I verified that. Game is a firepower btw. Thanks

#2 10 years ago

Your description makes it sound like the board is running the test rom software. Double check the game selection, no clue how this is done, probably dip switches. I assume this is in Rottendog's documentation.

#3 10 years ago

That's actually what it's supposed to be doing (running test rom), their instructions tell you to flip all the game selection switches down with only the power connector connected. They say that it's supposed to blink at one second intervals in that state (but it's not).

#4 10 years ago

When the Leon test rom software is running the LEDs will both cycle on and off about once a second right after powerup. When pressing the diag button, there is a pause then three flashes and then the LEDs go back to cycling once a second. If this is not happening like I describe the test rom is not running.

You have a good 5v, but is your 12v good? With out a high reset, the CPU will not run. Reset uses 12v. It is the top pin1 on the power input MPU connector.

#5 10 years ago

12v shows 11.71, which is in range for that.

#6 10 years ago

I would say you likely have a board problem then. I am really familiar with repairing anything on a WMS 3-7, but never messed with a rottendog. If it is in warranty i would go that route.

#7 10 years ago

I determined what the problem was, it's the dip switches. Every other board in the pinball world (and frankly everywhere else to) uses the sliding dip switches, so when the instructions say to move them down I thought that they were. They're not sliding though, they're press down rotation type, so they're actually inverse of normal dip switches. When I first looked at the board I thought that they were sliding, hence I thought I had the switches in the right position. Frankly, they probably should have stayed with the normal switches, I'm sure I'm not the only person that has gotten fooled by these.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I determined what the problem was, it's the dip switches. Every other board in the pinball world (and frankly everywhere else to) uses the sliding dip switches, so when the instructions say to move them down I thought that they were. They're not sliding though, they're press down rotation type, so they're actually inverse of normal dip switches. When I first looked at the board I thought that they were sliding, hence I thought I had the switches in the right position. Frankly, they probably should have stayed with the normal switches, I'm sure I'm not the only person that has gotten fooled by these.

Your not...these DIP switches got me too.

Parker

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-mpu-327-system-7-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.