(Topic ID: 284376)

Roller Disco A3-J2 (probably any System I Gottlieb)

By UltraPeepi

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Rikoshay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 6.49.56 PM (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

I have a Rottendog driver board. I was repinning the connectors. I got to A3-J2 (that goes from the driver board to the sound board). I noticed the green wire going to what Rottendog calls 28VRET. But that green wire goes to A7-J1 pin 11, which according to the MULTI-MODE SOUND BOARD SCHEMATIC, is Ground. What gives? Why isn't that green wire on A3-J2 going to the pin marked GND (or why isn't the spot marked 28VRET actually GND - I verified 28VRET is NOT GND on the Rottendog board)?

BTW, I grabbed this attach photo from this thread. Mine looks the same.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-1-roller-disco-random-scoring#post-5174381
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 6.49.56 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-23 at 6.49.56 PM (resized).png

#2 3 years ago

So nobody can explain why the green wire goes to the pin labeled 28VRET? That green wire connects to GND at the other end (on the sound board).

Basically, the sound board's ground isn't connected to the driver board's ground.

Is this part of why people suggest grounding each of the system I boards?

1 month later
#3 3 years ago

not sure any of the following will help.....

the 28VRET is the 28 volt return line.

i am not familiar with a multi mode sound board, is that different from Gottlieb's sound board.

I believe your rottendog board has an added ground tab in the top left for the ground mod?

You can check out of curiosity if the board at A3-J2 marked GND has continuity to the board ground mod tab?

Some boards have their own ground that is different from the ground plane and shouldn't be joined.

So is your game working okay with it plugged back together?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/roller-disco-a3-j2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.