(Topic ID: 208112)

Remembering The Silverball Podcast

By jar155

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

The Silverball Podcast was one of my favorite pinball podcasts ever. Hosted by Rob Craig and Steve Rothschild, the show was lighthearted, fun, informative, and had a lenghty run. Rob and Steve also branched off and released some DVDs that focused on restoring and repair and gave us a deeper look into how good of friends the hosts truly were. The Life After Death DVD that focuses on the Bride of Pinbot playfield swap gave me confidence to begin doing my own playfield swaps.

Some of the segments included a look back at what was popular on specific years in film and music. As pinball has always been tied to pop culture, these segments were a great fit for a pinball podcast. I also really liked the segments when one host would read an eBay description and describe the pictures and the other host would have to try and guess what the game sold for. I bet most of those prices would sound pretty low today.

Best of all, Steve and Rob had an on air chemistry that just demanded that you listen, even if they were veering off topic or getting a little deep on inside jokes. They were just outright fun to listen to.

It was during The Silverball Podcast's run that Don and I launched The Pinball Podcast. Rob and Steve, as well as Clay Harrell, were really the only other pinball podcasters at the time (along with GameRoom Junkies before they really started to lean into pinball), and both shows were highly inspirational.

Personally, The Silverball Podcast ran at a time in my life where I just flat out needed it. I can't get into those details here, but the show was always something to look forward to. When Steve passed away, it felt like losing a friend, and I was heartbroken. He and I had exchanged quite a few emails over the years and he was always happy to talk pinball of just say hello in his friendly manner.

The show is still archived and available to stream or download. It started in June, 2007 and ran until the end of 2012. Over those five and a half years, we got some fantastic content, and I'll always be grateful for it. I suggest everybody go check it out if you haven't. Maybe it's time to revisit those episodes once again.

http://www.silverballpodcast.com

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

http://pinballmagic.com/talkpinball/ Talk Pinball was around that time. Only made around 6 episodes before Jesse had a career change and couldn't devote the time to it.
    You can still listen to them at the website.
    LTG : )

Ah, yeah! I remember that. Good stuff there too!

1 month later
    #7 6 years ago

Rob, I would be happy to host the archives for you. A lot of that content is evergreen and so much fun to revisit. I'll reach out soon and we can figure out how you would best like to do it. We can figure out how to either mirror the old site or set up a new archive with some tribute content. I'd love to keep those shows online!

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Axl:

Would it be possible to upload it to Apple podcasts and all the other podcast sites?

I'll talk to Rob about archiving it in a way that it could still be subscribed to via podcasting software.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remembering-the-silverball-podcast?tu=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.