(Topic ID: 208112)

Remembering The Silverball Podcast

By jar155

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

The Silverball Podcast was one of my favorite pinball podcasts ever. Hosted by Rob Craig and Steve Rothschild, the show was lighthearted, fun, informative, and had a lenghty run. Rob and Steve also branched off and released some DVDs that focused on restoring and repair and gave us a deeper look into how good of friends the hosts truly were. The Life After Death DVD that focuses on the Bride of Pinbot playfield swap gave me confidence to begin doing my own playfield swaps.

Some of the segments included a look back at what was popular on specific years in film and music. As pinball has always been tied to pop culture, these segments were a great fit for a pinball podcast. I also really liked the segments when one host would read an eBay description and describe the pictures and the other host would have to try and guess what the game sold for. I bet most of those prices would sound pretty low today.

Best of all, Steve and Rob had an on air chemistry that just demanded that you listen, even if they were veering off topic or getting a little deep on inside jokes. They were just outright fun to listen to.

It was during The Silverball Podcast's run that Don and I launched The Pinball Podcast. Rob and Steve, as well as Clay Harrell, were really the only other pinball podcasters at the time (along with GameRoom Junkies before they really started to lean into pinball), and both shows were highly inspirational.

Personally, The Silverball Podcast ran at a time in my life where I just flat out needed it. I can't get into those details here, but the show was always something to look forward to. When Steve passed away, it felt like losing a friend, and I was heartbroken. He and I had exchanged quite a few emails over the years and he was always happy to talk pinball of just say hello in his friendly manner.

The show is still archived and available to stream or download. It started in June, 2007 and ran until the end of 2012. Over those five and a half years, we got some fantastic content, and I'll always be grateful for it. I suggest everybody go check it out if you haven't. Maybe it's time to revisit those episodes once again.

http://www.silverballpodcast.com

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

were really the only other pinball podcasters at the time

http://pinballmagic.com/talkpinball/ Talk Pinball was around that time. Only made around 6 episodes before Jesse had a career change and couldn't devote the time to it.

You can still listen to them at the website.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

http://pinballmagic.com/talkpinball/ Talk Pinball was around that time. Only made around 6 episodes before Jesse had a career change and couldn't devote the time to it.
    You can still listen to them at the website.
    LTG : )

Ah, yeah! I remember that. Good stuff there too!

#4 6 years ago

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

1 month later
    #5 6 years ago

jar155 and anyone else who digs up The Silverball Podcast Archives ...
    Thank you for remember our show! It was 2 guys hanging out and trying hard to stay on topic (very difficult) and cover the mass amount of topics I plugged into each episode. Losing Steve to cancer was a major blow to everything I was doing at the time. The podcast, the pinball show, pinball in general ... near the end of the shows running, we were burned out on doing podcasts, our pinball show, answering tons of 'help me' questions from others ... and just wanted to get back to enjoying pinball playing with friends and restoring a game here and there. It was a nice break. And soon after he got sick and passed away quickly. My fondest memories are those slap-happy moments when he would get me laughing hysterically over his corny jokes, or the times we went back to a specific year and brought together our independent research to compare, and the stories we told each other both on and off air about those times. I'm thankful that those times were captured and can be re-lived, almost as if he was still here. Over the years many people came to us at shows or e-mailed with compliments. The common theme was that they felt like they were hanging out with us while we were talking - like we were in the car, shop, wherever .. with the listener. That was a wonderful feeling. People knew that our content wouldn't get too adult, no one would curse, and their kids were safe hearing the show in the background. It's no surprise that most of the younger pinball peeps would not connect well with The Silverball Podcast. We did the show for people like us who lived through the arcade era and grew up in the late 70's and early 80's. And when things connected in those ways for the listeners - it sometimes became a powerful moment.

As for the archive ...my godaddy hosting account fees were due and I didn't feel the interest was still around for the archive of the podcast to justify dropping nearly $400 for 2 more years. silverballpodcast.com and popbumper.com (the archive of my Gameroom Magazine articles) are no longer out there. If someone wants to host, I could provide the files. If I get time this summer, I might put together a site that hosts all of this material and more from the past. But that may never happen ...

Thanks again for remembering the show and Steve.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobCraig:

As for the archive ...my godaddy hosting account fees were due and I didn't feel the interest was still around for the archive of the podcast to justify dropping nearly $400 for 2 more years. silverballpodcast.com and popbumper.com (the archive of my Gameroom Magazine articles) are no longer out there. If someone wants to host, I could provide the files. If I get time this summer, I might put together a site that hosts all of this material and more from the past. But that may never happen ...
    Thanks again for remembering the show and Steve.

Wish I had found this sooner. Would have loved to hear the show.

#7 6 years ago

Rob, I would be happy to host the archives for you. A lot of that content is evergreen and so much fun to revisit. I'll reach out soon and we can figure out how you would best like to do it. We can figure out how to either mirror the old site or set up a new archive with some tribute content. I'd love to keep those shows online!

#8 6 years ago

My personal story is one of fond feelings for the work of Rob and Steve. I loved the show and listened regularly. I also enjoyed Robs contributions to the Gameroom magazine.

Several years ago, at TPF, I had the pleasure of meeting them both. I was working on my Tron LE that had an issue. Two guys walked up and were inquiring as to what the problem seemed to be. I recognized the voices right away and figured it out. It turned out that they had passed through my home town of Shreveport in the way to the show.

By further coincidence, my oldest son ended up in school far from home in Illinois, but just down the road from Rob. Although Rob and I did not meet up after that Texas show, I have loosely kept in touch via Facebook etc.

Loosing the Rock Child was a tough blow to the community and he will be missed for many years to come. It’s great to see others appreciate this fun part of pinball history.

I’ve never done a podcast. If I did, it would have to be with someone that makes me laugh as much as those two did together.

Thanks for the memories Rob. I’ll be sure and toast the Rock Child at TPF!

#9 6 years ago

You might want to consider using archive.org for the old podcast episodes. Since you no longer need any analytics or anything, it is probably a good option since there is no cost and no size limitations. Here is a guide:
    https://turbofuture.com/internet/How-to-Host-Podcast-Audio-on-Archiveorg

#10 6 years ago

Silverball podcast was one of the first ones i found. Great content I enjoyed a lot.

#11 6 years ago

Good stuff.

#12 6 years ago

When I was new to the hobby I found the silverball podcast. I enjoyed it so much. It truly was like you were sitting in on a conversation.

Thanks for all the laughs and great stories.

Would it be possible to upload it to Apple podcasts and all the other podcast sites?

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Axl:

Would it be possible to upload it to Apple podcasts and all the other podcast sites?

I'll talk to Rob about archiving it in a way that it could still be subscribed to via podcasting software.

#14 6 years ago

They really did have great chemistry together.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I'll talk to Rob about archiving it in a way that it could still be subscribed to via podcasting software.

I've never listened to a podcast. What kind of software is needed?

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from bbhenry2000:

If you want to listen on your smart phone, there are a number of podcast catchers that make subscribing and listening very easy. Which software is available tends to depend if you are using an iPhone or an Android device.

I think iPhone has a Podcast app you can use. If you have Android, I'd recommend trying Podcast Addict, as the free version is full-featured (just has banner ads). Some others are Pocket Casts, Overcast, Stitcher, and DoggCatcher.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from bbhenry2000:

The same software used to play other audio files. Search the Google Play store to find any number of dedicated podcatchers.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.