(Topic ID: 6214)

Price Check: What do you think is fair for a prototype TZ?

By CadillacMusic

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TZ_-_Production.jpg
TZ_-_Prototype.jpg
TZ-Proto_Type.jpg
TZ_Spiral_mod.,.jpg
TZ_,.jpg
ToM,_TZ_&_B_Comber.jpg
BR_s_cry-n.jpg
TZ_&_LOTR_with_Rookie.jpg
TZ.jpg
#1 12 years ago

So, as the title says, we've got a prototype TZ in really nice shape. Doesn't have the third magnet hooked up, but the wiring is there. No wear on the outholes at all, but minor playfield fade. I really don't know what we should be charging for it. Same with our prototype CV and SS. Can't find any records of people selling them before. Anyone have any input?

#2 12 years ago

Chances are, it's not a true prototype, but an early sample game. What kind of condition is the cabinet art in? How about the translite? Any broken plastics or insert wear?

#3 12 years ago

I Traded a HUO LOTR for Pintastic's Sample TZ + $ 200.00 to boot.. It also had the 3rd magnet installed ( not wired tho ) . To tell you the Truth , beside's the 3rd magnet I don't see ANY diff- in my Current TZ than the Sample.. The Sales guy at PinballWizzard.com told me that Sample TZ's can fetch up to 6k.. I don't Know !!! Here's a pict-of the Sample TZ that I had.. P.Tastic installed a Pinball decal's Custom mini-p/f Lamp , Star Burst B/board and changed out the switches on the mini-p/f .. In the Pict's- b-low are what i could Find . Pintastic pose-n with TZ & LOTR and 1 of the pin itself ,a Pict- of B_R cry-n as TZ is gett-n ready to leave due to me Trade-n it for a ToM ( Big Mistake ) ( i kept that TZ 6-day's ) and 1-Pict- of Beachcomber pose-n with TZ and ToM with my daughter in the pict.. and 1 of the p/f..

. Does yr Sample TZ have the original Sample Game roms still installed ?

TZ.jpgTZ.jpg TZ_&_LOTR_with_Rookie.jpgTZ_&_LOTR_with_Rookie.jpg BR_s_cry-n.jpgBR_s_cry-n.jpg ToM,_TZ_&_B_Comber.jpgToM,_TZ_&_B_Comber.jpg

Post edited by BLACK_ROSE : Added another Pict- TZ_,.jpgTZ_,.jpg

#4 12 years ago

I think its important to be clear on terminology, esspecially when selling a game. In the case of CV, their were around about 200 sample games, but only about 2 or 3 genuine prototype games and to some collectors that is extemely important info

#5 12 years ago

Proto-Type and Sample ,,, What's the difference and HOW can you Tell them apart ?

#6 12 years ago

One of the easiest ways to check if it is a geunine Proto-type on a 90's WMS/Bally game like TZ would be the lamp boards, they are red on Proto-type games. These games are in general hand made by the team who developed the game, these games very rarely come up for sale publicly, they usually just stay with or pass between friends of the developers etc

#7 12 years ago

Sample games were the first few hundred games sent out to locations on test before the final production games went ahead. These tests would come up with results eg. on CV the skinny ringmaster caused ball hang ups, so they changed it to the fatty on the production game.

#8 12 years ago

There was one up on the Cleveland CL asking 4500. It appears to be gone now and replaced with an add asking 5000. But the new ad doesn't state that it has a working 3rd magnet like the previous ad did.

#9 12 years ago

1 Thing that I notice with my Current TZ is " Flip Here " on the mini-p/f ,, It's Wasn't on my Sample TZ.. That's 1 indication ..

TZ_Spiral_mod.,.jpgTZ_Spiral_mod.,.jpg TZ-Proto_Type.jpgTZ-Proto_Type.jpg

Post edited by BLACK_ROSE : added a Video !!! B_R

#10 12 years ago

Pretty neat to know there are small differences. You would never notice some of those without owninghte machine.

#11 12 years ago

TZ is one of the machines that has the most changes between sample and production stages.

The one's I can think of

Third magnet wiring and hardware
White clock face
Green lock insert
Gumball plastic decal
No "Flip Here" on red targets nor grey switch covers on the mini playfield
2 posts in the pop bumpers eliminating the absolute drain monster that is the left outlane

I'm sure there are more...

#13 12 years ago

I guess ours are sample games, not prototypes. Still, only 200 out of 10,000+... makes them pretty rare. Suprised one was on the Cleveland CL. Maybe we shoulda bought it!

#14 12 years ago

ah here you go

http://www.pinball-wizzards.com/Pinball%20Machines%20for%20sale/TZ%20Sample/tzsample.htm

That's a great link! The only other difference I can think of that wasn't mentioned is the artwork on the sides of the backbox. On the prototype and sample games, the door opening behind Rod Serling's silhouette is white. On the production games, it's colored.

Photos courtesy of HEP:

TZ_-_Prototype.jpgTZ_-_Prototype.jpg TZ_-_Production.jpgTZ_-_Production.jpg

#15 12 years ago

It is relisted for 3000 now. But it needs some work.

Also, if you guys have machines on route and you know where they are, could you please put them on the map? I am trying my best to map out the Akron area with places to play but my knowledge of what is going on up on the north side is limited. Especially if you have machines out in the Avon/Avon lake area.

#16 12 years ago

I was offered a sample CV for 5400. I passed. I know of one that sold in the last year on the east coast for 4200. Prices seem all over the place but really depends on condition.

#17 12 years ago

Just my .02c but i would think you could get 6k for the CV, 5 for the TZ or SS. Probably more if you wanted to hold out. I personally think a sample TZ is more favorable than CV. The differences on the CV are not as interesting IMO as TZ. Not sure so much about the SS as I have never owned one.

#18 12 years ago

Keep trying to put them on the map...our software is supposed to be able to print out a list. Too bad it never does anything it's supposed to do. Thanks for the input, everyone. Say, a somewhat on topic question: We have Dr. Who #20006. The Mr. Pinball guide says only 6 were made with the moving Dalek, which would make ours the last. But other web sites say 100 were made. Which is it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 12.95
$ 79.50
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 12.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-what-do-you-think-is-fair-for-a-prototype-tz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.