Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 102 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by epthegeek
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CAM00900.jpg
    IMG_5982.JPG
    Where is my package 01.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rustylizard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

As both a federal AND state employee, let me clear some things up for those that don't know how things work.
    I can tell you that the difference between the USPS and UPS is the systems in place and the employees. USPS workers have guaranteed jobs and take their time with work. They don't care to streamline systems. They're happy doing things the good ole fashioned way. Especially the Top brass. Not only that, but the USPS is NOT a business. They don't care if they lose money. What has hurt them the most is 2 things. #1- is the fact that online shopping has taken over and people are using FedEx, UPS and DHL and the like to do their deliveries. That's less packages for them to deliver. And the most important factor of all is automatic bill pay. EVERYONE uses it to pay their bills electronically. Instead of sorting and mailing out 100 million bills a week at the USPS, it's now done in the blink of an eye online and ON TIME. That's what has crushed the PO. They have lost over 3 Billion dollars a year in revenue just because of automatic bill pay.
    At UPS (where I once worked, so I know first hand) the employees could be fired or replaced at any time. They have a beautiful streamlined system in place and the employees work their you know what's off all day EVERY day. Everyday at UPS is another day to shine and try to impress the bosses and move up within the company. At the USPS, you move up based on who you know and who you kiss up to. There's not much incentive there for the employees. And it's sad cause there are so many US postal workers that kill themselves every day and never receive recognition for their hard work. That's why throughout the year I give my mail lady several gift cards as a thank you for her awesome service. She's so appreciative that when she has a package for me, she puts the package and the mail in a bag, knocks on my door and hand delivers it to me.
    If you have a great mail carrier, I strongly suggest giving them a gift card from time to time. A $25 Dunkin Donuts gift card really goes a long way in saying TY to them.

Do you have any clue what you are talking about or are you just adding karma points?

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

What I speak of is factual. I know people on the inside at the P.O. There's a lot more things that go on behind the scenes that would make you sick if you/people knew. That's just the way it is bro.

I have worked there for 24 years. I have no clue I guess.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Typical and you're making my point.

Ok, let's start with one thing you are completely wrong about. Tell me where you got your information that USPS doesn't care if they lose money. This should be a good opportunity for you to get more karma points. Feel free to break your answer up into multiple posts.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from OldHarley:

The two billion loss is because the government thought the post office ought to PRE fund the retirement accounts. This is where most of the loss is occurring. Once that gets changed the post office is pretty close to even. They are doing some stupid changes with the way they sort mail. They are closing most small sorting centers and sending the mail to a major sorting center. So your letter could travel 200 miles to the sorting center and 200 miles back to your town to be delivered next door. They will start closing the small sorting center post offices in January of 2015. I have several postal contracts and were not sure how the changes will effect us.

This post explains why the USPS is losing money especially the first part. FYI: the postal service has not been funded by taxes since the early 70's.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Government agencies are made to lose money.

You boldly state that you speak the truth and this is your source of information? Quit while you are behind. I have done some reading on professions with high suicide rates. Take a shot at backing up your claim on that one.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

You are insane. If that's true, who absorbs the loss?

Congress has set things up so the USPS is required to pre-fund some employee accounts 75 years into the future. That is correct. Employees that haven't been born yet. They then take that money and use it for other things just as they do with SS. The USPS is either behind on those payments or not making them at all right now.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

The retirement plans of most government agencies and many private sector companies is a huge drain on them. That's why they want to keep raising the retirement ages as well. The P.O. has a great retirement plan. 25 and out I believe? The MA. transportation dept. used to be 23 and out. I believe the armed forces is 18 and out with your retirement as well. The armed forces should get way more then they do. Thank God for the brave men and women who serve out country in the armed forces. They should get everything we can possibly offer.

My minimum retirement age is 56 with 31 years of service. At that point I would not get enough to live comfortably. 25 and out with a full retirement? Sign me up so I can start counting the weeks I have left. You have an active imagination.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

They shouldn't be putting that much money into a Scared Stiff!

But we both know it's worth it.

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

So if I understand this correctly, the United States Government absorbs that loss if the payments are not made to them?

Quite the opposite. We are currently not putting money in the fund for them to take when it was not theirs to take in the first place. Problem is they make the laws. If they put that money in their budget for uses other than postal employee health benefits and retirements then that is their problem.

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

What about the millions of folks on welfare that are over the age of 70? Are they just lazy too?
    What about the millions of kids that can't get $15 meds to live who are on welfare? Just let em die?
    We need welfare and everyone knows it. There are people that take advantage and cheat in EVERY single thing EVER created.
    Your blanket statement offers no solution, only complaints about something we need to protect those citizens that need help.

Do not question him. He is on the inside.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Let me clear on something I said earlier. Government agencies are NOT a business. They were NOT created to make money. They were and are created to serve the people/provide services. That is why they are not run like a business.
    Additionally, government agencies (like the P.O., unemployment, SS and welfare systems) are backed by the US Treasury. Where does our money go when we pay taxes? The US Treasury.
    To say that they do not use tax payers money is an accountant slight of hand trick.

You can say it 1000 times but it will not become the truth just because you say it. Google "is the USPS funded by taxpayers" and start reading.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rustylizard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-office-loses-2-billion-in-90-days-delivery-woesfyi?tu=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.