Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 102 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by epthegeek
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CAM00900.jpg
    IMG_5982.JPG
    Where is my package 01.jpg

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Congress has set things up so the USPS is required to pre-fund some employee accounts 75 years into the future. That is correct. Employees that haven't been born yet. They then take that money and use it for other things just as they do with SS. The USPS is either behind on those payments or not making them at all right now.

You're right and they are wrong. I don't want to derail this thread, BUT what is crippling our country financial is the trillions spent yearly on protecting the rest of the world and the welfare system. To many illegals and lazy people are draining the system dry. Please. Don't get me strated on this.

Quoted from RustyLizard:

You boldly state that you speak the truth and this is your source of information? Quit while you are behind. I have done some reading on professions with high suicide rates. Take a shot at backing up your claim on that one.

My source of info is the fact that I am on the inside and know more than the general public on how things work.

BTW- TY for all your hard work as a postal employee Rusty. (Said sincerely) As I said in my first post, there are MANY hard working employees in the P.O. I personally know at least 20 if not more people deep within the P.O. If more were like you and others, I'm sure that a lot more would get done. So believe me bro, I'm not making fun, or coming down on you.

#52 9 years ago

MYTH #1: The U.S. Postal Service is bankrolled by taxpayers.
    MYTH #2: The U.S. Postal Service will inevitably see a total financial collapse in the coming months.
    MYTH #3: Congressional action to save the U.S. Postal Service amounts to yet another government bailout of a failing industry.
    MYTH #4: The Carper-Coburn Postal Reform Act ends door-to-door delivery.
    MYTH #5: The Carper-Coburn Postal Reform Act would shut down mail processing facilities and eliminate thousands of jobs.
    MYTH #6: The U.S. Postal Service must raise rates on certain postal products to help cover its losses.
    MYTH #7: This bill will end Saturday mail delivery.
    FACT: The U.S. Postal Service is funded entirely by revenues from postage.

According to the U.S. Postal Service, "The Postal Service receives no tax dollars for operating expenses, and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations."

Additionally, USA Today reported in July 2013 that the Postal Service “does not receive federal assistance, getting revenue from postage sales, delivery services and other products. But mail service has dropped nearly 25% from 215 billion pieces delivered in 2006 to a current volume of 160 billion."

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

So if I understand this correctly, the United States Government absorbs that loss if the payments are not made to them?

Quite the opposite. We are currently not putting money in the fund for them to take when it was not theirs to take in the first place. Problem is they make the laws. If they put that money in their budget for uses other than postal employee health benefits and retirements then that is their problem.

#54 9 years ago

I guess I'm in the minority here. If I order something I always try and select the USPS option. Last week I ordered a part from Atlanta and they shipped FedEx home on Monday. Friday it was out for delivery and wasn't delivered because the driver said I wasn't a valid address. If I hadn't called them to tell them I was a valid address it would have been sent back to Georgia. My house is right on the street and the address is on my garage, my house and my mailbox and the FedEx driver couldn't find me. If you Google maps my address you can actually see a picture of my cars in the driveway. 6 days a week when I go to my mailbox I open it and find my mail...the USPS courier has no problem finding my house.
    More then once I've had UPS deliver a package to my local USPS center to let them deliver a package rather then bring it to my house.
    It must have a lot to do with the part of the country you live in, but I dread it when I order something and don't have US Mail as an option. Amazon is now contracting USPS to deliver their packages on Sunday in this area.
    Thank goodness Pinballlife offers USPS delivery.

#55 9 years ago

My dad has been a rural mail carrier and a city mail carrier for years. Biggest problem in the post office is mismanagement. You know a typical business pyramid where you have the top executives at the very top and all the managers and workers toward the bottom? Well dad explains it that the post office is upside with more managers and non essential personnel in charge seemingly out numbering the actual workers. Trim the fat and it might help with the bottom line.

#56 9 years ago

The USPS has not directly received taxpayer-dollars since the early 1980s with the minor exception of subsidies for costs associated with the disabled and overseas voters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USPS

#57 9 years ago

The USPS carries somewhere around $15 BILLION in debt. They defaulted a couple years ago.

#58 9 years ago

I still think usps is a cheaper option compared to fedex or ups so despite a few days of wait sometimes, I go with usps.

#59 9 years ago

I ship with usps all the time. Never any issues here.

Andrew

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

MYTH #2: The U.S. Postal Service will inevitably see a total financial collapse in the coming months.
    MYTH #3: Congressional action to save the U.S. Postal Service amounts to yet another government bailout of a failing industry.
    MYTH #4: The Carper-Coburn Postal Reform Act ends door-to-door delivery.
    MYTH #5: The Carper-Coburn Postal Reform Act would shut down mail processing facilities and eliminate thousands of jobs.
    MYTH #6: The U.S. Postal Service must raise rates on certain postal products to help cover its losses.
    MYTH #7: This bill will end Saturday mail delivery.
    FACT: The U.S. Postal Service is funded entirely by revenues from postage.
    According to the U.S. Postal Service, "The Postal Service receives no tax dollars for operating expenses, and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations."
    Additionally, USA Today reported in July 2013 that the Postal Service “does not receive federal assistance, getting revenue from postage sales, delivery services and other products. But mail service has dropped nearly 25% from 215 billion pieces delivered in 2006 to a current volume of 160 billion."

Well,

Here are some FACT's you left out:

FACT: They are rude at the front desk at my post office & slow.
    FACT: Lost more mail at my post office than I have ever seen at any post office.
    FACT: They made me get a P.O. Box because they will not put the mail in my mail box that they pass by every day
    FACT: If you ship me something via my physical address. It will show up at my post office then get shipped out 2 1/2 hours down the road to be returned to the forwarding address at the P.O. Box and it take 4 to 5 days to get back if at all. Sometimes gets returned even with a forwarding address. Cost me more money to get it re-shipped.
    FACT: Charge me the rate you need to run a business, then do it affectively.
    FACT: I use UPS or FEDEx when ever I am given the option. They to have problems, but not like theses.
    FACT: I think they suck! and I could live without them! and try to

#61 9 years ago

FACT: In 50 years they have lost 2 of my packages.
    FACT: In my PO they are not rude...and fast.
    FACT: I need coffee now...

#62 9 years ago

My father in law was a letter carrier, so I always get an earful when we're in the same room. Aside from terrible management, The U.S. Postal Service is an independent agency with its own budget. However, aspects of it are indeed controlled by the Federal government, as it is considered part of the unified Federal Budget. It is an odd set up.

Because of this relationship they have together, the Federal Government felt it had to do something about the "over-funding" of the retirement fund. Had they not meddled with it in the late 80's by wildly overestimating it and requiring pre-funding, we wouldn't be in this predicament right now. Everything since then is a patch on top of a patch on top of a patch. This seems to be the biggest issue with our legislature. They are reactive to everything and anything, not proactive. They also can't seem to leave things alone that are working. They don't understand the meaning of a surplus.

#63 9 years ago

I think I am one of the people responsible for this thread in the first place.
    My recent order from Comet was shipped through USPS. It seemed to go off the rails at one point because no tracking updates showed for several days. I bothered Comet about it, and got a very nice and quick reply back from Comet indicating that is normal now and just be patient, likely nothing wrong.
    That was absolutely correct, as delivery was the next week day. The tracking finally updated at that point also.
    I think that Comet and others are just tired of multiple customers asking why their orders are stalled by the USPS since the tracking does not update and shipping times are sometimes odd.

I've generally had very good results the past few years with purchases shipped through USPS.
    In the 1990's they seemed to be very hit or miss (anyone remember the Columbia Record, Tape and CD Club?), but they seem to be very reliable and reasonably quick.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

So if I understand this correctly, the United States Government absorbs that loss if the payments are not made to them?

It would not be a 'loss' in the accounting sense; rather the government would simply forego a payment that it would otherwise accrue in a trust or similar. As the US government is presumably the guarantor of that trust, it would most likely use those funds to pay for other government services, ie. add them to consolidated revenues. In effect, it would simply have an IOU from itself to cover retirement disbursements when needed.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

You're right and they are wrong. I don't want to derail this thread, BUT what is crippling our country financial is the trillions spent yearly on protecting the rest of the world and the welfare system. To many illegals and lazy people are draining the system dry. Please. Don't get me strated on this.

What about the millions of folks on welfare that are over the age of 70? Are they just lazy too?
    What about the millions of kids that can't get $15 meds to live who are on welfare? Just let em die?
    We need welfare and everyone knows it. There are people that take advantage and cheat in EVERY single thing EVER created.

Your blanket statement offers no solution, only complaints about something that we still need to protect those citizens that need help.

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

What about the millions of folks on welfare that are over the age of 70? Are they just lazy too?
    What about the millions of kids that can't get $15 meds to live who are on welfare? Just let em die?
    We need welfare and everyone knows it. There are people that take advantage and cheat in EVERY single thing EVER created.
    Your blanket statement offers no solution, only complaints about something we need to protect those citizens that need help.

Do not question him. He is on the inside.

#67 9 years ago

Let me clear on something I said earlier. Government agencies are NOT a business. They were NOT created to make money. They were and are created to serve the people/provide services. That is why they are not run like a business.

Additionally, government agencies (like the P.O., unemployment, SS and welfare systems) are backed by the US Treasury. Where does our money go when we pay taxes? The US Treasury.

To say that they do not use tax payers money is an accountant slight of hand trick.

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Your blanket statement offers no solution, only complaints about something that we still need to protect those citizens that need help.

Really? You know exactly what I mean with what I said. Don't twist words and take it to the extreme. I know you're smarter than that.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Let me clear on something I said earlier. Government agencies are NOT a business. They were NOT created to make money. They were and are created to serve the people/provide services. That is why they are not run like a business.
    Additionally, government agencies (like the P.O., unemployment, SS and welfare systems) are backed by the US Treasury. Where does our money go when we pay taxes? The US Treasury.
    To say that they do not use tax payers money is an accountant slight of hand trick.

You can say it 1000 times but it will not become the truth just because you say it. Google "is the USPS funded by taxpayers" and start reading.

#70 9 years ago

I got ya... Not trying to twist anything around... My hope is that people converse more about a fix, rather than complaints. Otherwise, 20 years from now, we'll still have all the same problems, just happening in a different decade.

#71 9 years ago

My experiences with USPS have been much better than with the other guys. Nothing broken or lost yet, knock on wood. I'm surprised people are criticizing USPS for downsizing their sorting facilities; it's what any good company would do after a decline in business.

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from TrainH2o:

Here's a good one for you.
    If I were to mail a letter to my next door neighbor, it would travel from my local post office to Chattanooga, Tennessee (about 50 miles) to be sorted, only to be sent back to my local post office, for delivery.
    If I were to send a letter to someone in the next town over (their post office is about 9 miles away), it goes from my local post office to Chattanooga, TN, then to Atlanta, GA, then back to the local post office for delivery.
    I fully understand that not all post offices sort, but this is only one reason they are loosing/wasting money. I remember there used to be a different mail slot for local mail.........not any more.

I live in the Chattanooga city limits, and if I mail my water bill to the utility company not 3 miles from my house, it takes 4 days to get there because it goes through Atlanta.

#73 9 years ago

Guys, we're wandering into politics and it's not going to serve anyone. We're not about to solve the way the Post Office or Government is run on Pinside.

Lots of us ship mods to people and care about the service, and I think we all order things from companies, so if there are better ways to help each other I'm all ears.

I personally find that 2 day priority works well for me, I haven't seen a reason to switch. I definitely don't want to have to raise prices to go somewhere else when I'm not having issues, but I haven't honestly checked out the other options.

My packages can be a bit pricey because I ship my translites flat. So the boxes aren't very thick, but they are 29"x23", and that tends to bump them up in cost. It's worth it for the quality bump of shipping flat though.

International is where I really spend the money. I "lose" money on some countries that are pricier, but it tends to even out in the long term, and it's way easier to just quote everyone a single rate. For whatever reason I feel like the UK is the most expensive to ship to. Australia is the easiest, direct flight from LAX to Australia, it's often faster than shipping to Canada, which is funny.

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

My experiences with USPS have been much better than with the other guys. Nothing broken or lost yet, knock on wood. I'm surprised people are criticizing USPS for downsizing their sorting facilities; it's what any good company would do after a decline in business.

Like I said, I use them all the time because of convenience and value... Unfortunately, that does not always translate to something successful or needed in society. (Fewer and fewer people use them.)

I have noticed that the USPS tends to put it's workers and service first, and it's customers/users second a lot of times. Not a criticism, just an observation. They could possibly turn things around if they shifted the focus a little.

Also, this is the ALL TOPICS forum. Seems appropriate conversation to me. Stay in the pin only forums to converse about pin only topics.

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

I live in the Chattanooga city limits, and if I mail my water bill to the utility company not 3 miles from my house, it takes 4 days to get there because it goes through Atlanta.

That's just for a local hub, nearly every package shipped anywhere in the world via United Parcel Service goes to Louisville:
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-10-31/news/1998304009_1_conveyor-belts-packages-parcel-service

#76 9 years ago

Um, it's "ALL PINBALL", not "ALL TOPICS".

#78 9 years ago

In that case, it could be moved to Off Topic. But like others suggested, the pinball hobby has a lot to do with shipping matters.

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

My packages can be a bit pricey because I ship my translites flat.

Wouldn't it be better if you rolled? The PO even has free boxes for them...

#80 9 years ago

From what I have read, the post office is one of the few self sustained government agencies. You are right that they are not profit driven, they are community driven. Post office was setup to run as a 0 sum institution. The next time you think your being screwed, take and add out in your local paper, collect everyone's packages and mail, and hop in you car and deliver it all. When you get back in 2 months you can let everyone know they owe you $53 for delivering their letter and see if the post office is still the bad guy. Grow up and get some patients people or better yet plan ahead and keep parts and supplies on hand the you don't have to wait on the post office!

#81 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Wouldn't it be better if you rolled? The PO even has free boxes for them...

My translite are thicker than the Stern ones (which roll fine I think), I feel like the quality is higher not rolling them. It would be easier, I have to tape up the boxes that I order flat and unfolded, and it might be a little cheaper, but I don't really want to compromise.

I'm one of those rather do it right people.

#82 9 years ago

WOW! I can't believe that Snype. That gives new meaning to the old saying..."The check is in the mail." I mean the dumpster. LOL

Looks like she was doing people a service and throwing out the junk mail.

Word has since come down that she's a huge fan of Seinfeld. Her favorite show is Krammer and the junk mail.

#83 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

My translite are thicker than the Stern ones (which roll fine I think), I feel like the quality is higher not rolling them. It would be easier, I have to tape up the boxes that I order flat and unfolded, and it might be a little cheaper, but I don't really want to compromise.

FWIW, I ordered an art print from a guy in Hawaii and it arrived in a tube, damaged. Even though the tube was heavy cardboard, UPS managed to dent the tube and crease the artwork. So I agree, flat is the only way to ship art (including translites).

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I have shipped and received probably 1000 collectible art prints over the past 5 years and if you can roll your translite in craft paper and put them in an appropriately sized tube (both diameter and length) then it is BY FAR the cheapest and safest way to ship.

I don't want to tell you what to do, but it is a waste of your time, $, and energy to package and ship flat. I can properly roll and tube a print in a few minutes and a little tape it all it take to secure the tube ends.

#85 9 years ago

Right, I get that, I buy fine art prints myself, come in tubes, no worries. What I'm saying is actually rolling the translites themselves wouldn't be good for them, not that tubes are in and of themselves a bad way to ship. Anyone who's handled one of my translites knows what I mean. They're thick, because they have a diffuser layer bonded to them that helps them light up nice and evenly without washing out.

Believe me, taping up boxes isn't my favorite thing to do, if I could avoid it while still feeling I was doing things right I would. But it's more important that the translites are taken care of properly.

(Plus with The Shadow for example I ship an OEM style PETG speaker panel in the box too, no rolling that!)

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I have shipped and received probably 1000 collectible art prints over the past 5 years and if you can roll your translite in craft paper and put them in an appropriately sized tube (both diameter and length) then it is BY FAR the cheapest and safest way to ship.

This tube-inflicted damage may LOOK minor, but it's not. It's clearly visible on the front (glossy) side of the print.

IMG_5982.JPGIMG_5982.JPG
    #87 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I used to ship lots of posters, found that the triangle boxes were much better than tubes, had a number of items get damaged in the round tubes, zero in the triangles. If you really want to be really safe, a tube inside a triangle is practically indestructible.

#88 9 years ago

Still beats FedEx!

#89 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

This tube-inflicted damage may LOOK minor, but it's not. It's clearly visible on the front (glossy) side of the print.

IMG_5982.JPG 54 KB

that is someone that does not know the proper way to handle and roll a print.

side note Aurich >> I have purchased a few repro translites and they all came rolled. Just use a big enough diameter tube.

#90 9 years ago

ya, pinballlife via USPS has gone from 2 days to 5. we're 5-6 hour drive away from BPL, too.
    just ridiculous. and price just keeps going up.

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

side note Aurich >> I have purchased a few repro translites and they all came rolled. Just use a big enough diameter tube.

I'm sure they were fine, I've seen plenty of rolled translites, I have some in my garage even. They were not printed like mine.

Just trust me on this, if you held one in your hands you would understand. Hundreds of people on Pinside can back me up on this one and are happy they got a flat box (centerflank knows what's up). It's okay, I'll keep taping up boxes, if I ever get sick of it I'll just stop, this is just a side hobby for me.

#92 9 years ago

I had a great customer that was a post master for the Waukesha/SE Wisc area, he passed away a few years ago. That job took a toll on him, all he did was cut everything possible and it weighed heavily on him. He even retired a little early and it still nabbed him (Stomach ulcers)

He was such a great dude, I worked a few saturdays while working his cedar exterior and he'd say "Hey, I bought a whole bunch of cold cuts so take a break and have lunch and watch some of the Badger game!"

So give your best to the USPS workers!

Edit----One other thing I just thought of, I ran him a $500 discount for paying cash on his exterior job, after seeing how much work I did to complete it, he ended up giving me that $500 anyway, Class Act! R.I.P. Good Sir.

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

So give your best to the USPS workers!

My delivery guy is great, I invited him into my garage to play some pinball the other day because he was curious. Shot a few balls before he continued his route.

#94 9 years ago

Our mail carrier retired a few years back after 30 on the job. Since then we are on an alternate route and seem to have a different mailman everyday. Not so good when important papers such as tax forms are being delivered to the next street over or left on the doorstep. But I understand that they are overworked so I try to treat them with some respect. Some of them even speak a little English.

#95 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinball4ever:

I'm 2 hours from Chicago!:

LOL did your package wave out the window at you on its way to NJ?

I had a Amazon Prime order a couple weeks ago, due to arrive in 2 days on a Friday... UPS tracking the morning of delivery indicated 'handed off to local carrier for delivery',,,,,, USPS delivered it on Monday... I kinda needed it for Saturday, hence the whole 2 day shipping thing...... Oh well...

#96 9 years ago
    Quoted from OldHarley:

The two billion loss is because the government thought the post office ought to PRE fund the retirement accounts. This is where most of the loss is occurring. Once that gets changed the post office is pretty close to even. They are doing some stupid changes with the way they sort mail. They are closing most small sorting centers and sending the mail to a major sorting center. So your letter could travel 200 miles to the sorting center and 200 miles back to your town to be delivered next door. They will start closing the small sorting center post offices in January of 2015. I have several postal contracts and were not sure how the changes will effect us.

Yup, correct. Our local sort may be closing

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'm sure they were fine, I've seen plenty of rolled translites, I have some in my garage even. They were not printed like mine.
    Just trust me on this, if you held one in your hands you would understand. Hundreds of people on Pinside can back me up on this one and are happy they got a flat box (centerflank knows what's up). It's okay, I'll keep taping up boxes, if I ever get sick of it I'll just stop, this is just a side hobby for me.

I could not believe the small damage to tubes for the tommy donation thread...such little damage to the tube caused big damage to the trans :/

#98 9 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I could not believe the small damage to tubes for the tommy donation thread...such little damage to the tube caused big damage to the trans :/

Of all the translites I've shipped, only two have been utterly trashed. Package just beat to shit and torn, and the contents ruined. One domestic and one International. I've had a couple minor issues too, where a speaker panel got scratched or something. All replaced of course, just saying I've had good luck.

I put FRAGILE stickers on all my boxes, how much that helps I don't know.

#99 9 years ago

Ah the fragile may help. I've only had 1 translite wrecked in shipping and it was that tommy one. The others get sent in beffy tubes or weren't beat on :/ idk...whatever you do keep doing it :-p

#100 9 years ago

"WE CARE / Dear Postal Customer:

We sincerely regret the damage (ripped open / contents gone) to your mail during handling by the Postal Service. We hope this incident (not receiving your $80 Namco Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama USB Drive) did not inconvenience you. We realize that your mail is important to you and that you have every right to expect it to be delivered (with contents intact) in good condition.

Although every effort (Really? Apparently not!) is made to prevent damage (or theft) to the mail, occasionally (????) this will occur because (????) of the great volume handled and the rapid processing methods which must be employed to assure the most expeditious distribution possible.

We hope you understand (& don’t sue us.) We assure you that we are constantly striving to improve our processing methods in order that even a rare occurrence may be eliminated. (Good idea.)

Please accept our apologies. (Good luck trying to find a replacement part &/or recover damages from responsible parties.)

Sincerely,

USPS"

CAM00900.jpgCAM00900.jpg
    There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/post-office-loses-2-billion-in-90-days-delivery-woesfyi/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.