Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 391 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by ibis
  • Topic is favorited by 74 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6034.jpeg
    IMG_6054.jpeg
    IMG_6055.jpeg
    IMG_4887 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4888 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5137 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5130 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5128 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5121 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5124 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5123 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-03-07 214917 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-03-07 215032 (resized).png

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

It was generated from this Marketplace listing.

There are 391 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
    #201 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

LOL not at all! I have a TAF backboard coming soon, Ill post pics of that one too as it progresses.

Should be there today. Been tracking it

#202 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Should be there today. Been tracking it

Yes! It came Saturday! I think this should be a fun one to do. I'll keep you posted on the progress. Thanks for you're patience!

#203 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

Yes! It came Saturday! I think this should be a fun one to do. I'll keep you posted on the progress. Thanks for you're patience!

No rush here have a bunch of stuff to do anyway before I get to installing that

#204 1 year ago

This cut on the TAF backboard came out really well. It's apparent the palm router they used had a round base where as mine is square. The oval at the top is a little more squared off, but thats the only difference. This cutout is next to The Thing Box is and the relief cut allows the box top to move up when Hand comes out. It's almost entirely hidden but an important feature. I actually cut this a tad deeper than the original. When I did a tear down of my TAF, getting the box lid to not scrap the backboard was tough, the variable was fractions with no room for error. Hopefully being a tad deeper will help.

I know the width of the cut looks wider, but it isn't, trick of the eye between the light wood and the original black.

IMG_3878 (resized).jpgIMG_3878 (resized).jpgIMG_3879 (resized).jpgIMG_3879 (resized).jpg
    #205 1 year ago

Awesome, I am glad you went a tad deeper because when I put my side rails onto the playfield I was off by a 32nd of an inch from where they were on the original playfield I doubt it will make that much of a difference but less concerned now

#206 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Awesome, I am glad you went a tad deeper because when I put my side rails onto the playfield I was off by a 32nd of an inch from where they were on the original playfield I doubt it will make that much of a difference but less concerned now

Definitely let me know who this backboard install goes, if it needs to be a tad deeper I can make a note for future builds. Id rather there be too much room than just barely enough!

#207 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

Definitely let me know who this backboard install goes, if it needs to be a tad deeper I can make a note for future builds. Id rather there be too much room than just barely enough!

Yesh especially if you don’t really see down there

#208 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Yesh especially if you don’t really see down there

Nope, it's very hidden by the box and a cover-plastic. Just the top arch is exposed but its black and in a corner so no one could see it from most any position around the game.

#209 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

If I remember right, it isn't the depth of the cut out but the width.

I've had more issues with the Thing box hitting the one side when fully open.

Not by much but still.

#210 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

If I remember right, it isn't the depth of the cut out but the width.
    I've had more issues with the Thing box hitting the one side when fully open.
    Not by much but still.

My recollection is, when the lid opens the top left corner is what enters the cut-out area. It is totally possible the edge of the lid could hit the top part. Ill see if I can get a picture of mine in the 'up' position.

#211 1 year ago

So its not actually the lid that could be the problem, its the hinge. When the lid lifts, a part of the hinge rotates backwards. So Im under the impression that little deeper would be a benefit. The height of the relief cut doesn't look like it comes into play. When I lift the box lid, the lid doesn't come near the backboard or the relief cut, it rests against the plastic above it.

IMG_3881 (resized).jpgIMG_3881 (resized).jpg
    #212 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

So its not actually the lid that could be the problem, its the hinge. When the lid lifts, a part of the hinge rotates backwards. So Im under the impression that little deeper would be a benefit. The height of the relief cut doesn't look like it comes into play. When I lift the box lid, the lid doesn't come near the backboard or the relief cut, it rests against the plastic above it.
    [quoted image]

Fair enough.

I've also sanded down the front edge of that plastic so the box can open more. Maybe that's why it hits the backboard.

#213 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Fair enough.
    I've also sanded down the front edge of that plastic so the box can open more. Maybe that's why it hits the backboard.

If the backboard is a 1/32 of an inch closer I shouldn’t worry have a problem with anything hitting right. I assume I can adjust the location of the plastic accordingly. I must have been just a hair off when I clamped down the side rail and screwed it in. Going off the distance from the original rail on the old playfield to the location of the backboard.

#214 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

If the backboard is a 1/32 of an inch closer I shouldn’t worry have a problem with anything hitting right. I assume I can adjust the location of the plastic accordingly. I must have been just a hair off when I clamped down the side rail and screwed it in. Going off the distance from the original rail on the old playfield to the location of the backboard.

You should be OK. When I tore my TAF down and got to reassembling this part of the game, I actually had a new Thing Box which was a hair bigger. Mounting the box was fine, but lifting the lid wasn't. It was getting stuck on the plastics to the right of the lid. I had more trouble with that than anything! And it was a bear to screw in, theres no room!

#215 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

You should be OK. When I tore my TAF down and got to reassembling this part of the game, I actually had a new Thing Box which was a hair bigger. Mounting the box was fine, but lifting the lid wasn't. It was getting stuck on the plastics to the right of the lid. I had more trouble with that than anything! And it was a bear to screw in, theres no room!

Yup! I had to trim the plastics to the right also!

#216 1 year ago

Thanks to a generous donation(THANKS DAVE!), a set of EBD rails are on their way to the library! The main AD page will be updated when they are available!

#217 1 year ago

ibis do you by any chance know if the backboard is supposed to be perfectly flush with the back edge of the playfield mine is set in about 1/16 of an inch and when you put the bracket on for things box the bracket doesn’t sit flush to the board. I can’t remember what it’s supposed to be like now and I don’t have the old board to test fit it on the old playfield.

#218 1 year ago

In most every case that Ive stripped a playfield, the back board is flush with the end of the playfield. In all honesty, if the backboard was off the back of the playfield 1/16 of an inch, it wouldn't hurt anything. That corner on a TAF is absolutely a pain in the arse and a tad more space wouldn't hurt it. Not much, if anything connects to the backboard too, so it wouldn't effect any other parts being installed.

#219 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

In most every case that Ive stripped a playfield, the back board is flush with the end of the playfield. In all honesty, if the backboard was off the back of the playfield 1/16 of an inch, it wouldn't hurt anything. That corner on a TAF is absolutely a pain in the arse and a tad more space wouldn't hurt it. Not much, if anything connects to the backboard too, so it wouldn't effect any other parts being installed.

Thanks, I will just move it, I’ll fill the holes with dowels and move it back flush. I did this ass backwards should have put the backboard on first then the side rails

#220 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Thanks, I will just move it, I’ll fill the holes with dowels and move it back flush. I did this ass backwards should have put the backboard on first then the side rails

Great pro tip. Thank you for sharing

#221 1 year ago

Did I pre-drill holes or where those holes I drilled for my stands I use to apply the finish? If they are from the stands, they should line up, or I at least try to put them that way.

Very true! Most of the Williams games of that era should have the backboards put on first. They usually have corner brackets that can be a pain if anything is in the way.

#222 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

Did I pre-drill holes or where those holes I drilled for my stands I use to apply the finish? If they are from the stands, they should line up, or I at least try to put them that way.
    Very true! Most of the Williams games of that era should have the backboards put on first. They usually have corner brackets that can be a pain if anything is in the way.

No you didn’t predrill. What happened in my case was I ordered the side rails from you first like a month ago, I was going to repaint my old backboard and reuse it but I didn’t get around to it yet . So I put the side rails on my new playfield first by measuring the distance from the old rails on the old playfield to the back edge without the backboard on it. When you made me the new backboard and I put it on it was that 32nd or so of an inch off that I got. There were so many factors, so like I said lesson learned I did it ass backwards. I will take the two side rails off and the backboard off and fill the holes with dowels the do the backboard first and go off of that

#223 1 year ago

Ahh! I see!! I hope is all worked out in the end. I have had to work backwards and twice-over before too. Recently I did a Gottlieb 2001 play field swap and had the whole thing done and sent pics to the owner. He found a mistake, the drop target colors were opposite from the colors on the playfield lol. Green was where the yellow was supposed to be, visa-versa. I had to unsolder the entire drop target mech which is HUGE and disassemble and reassemble the entire thing in the right color order. All you can do is laugh!

#224 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

Ahh! I see!! I hope is all worked out in the end. I have had to work backwards and twice-over before too. Recently I did a Gottlieb 2001 play field swap and had the whole thing done and sent pics to the owner. He found a mistake, the drop target colors were opposite from the colors on the playfield lol. Green was where the yellow was supposed to be, visa-versa. I had to unsolder the entire drop target mech which is HUGE and disassemble and reassemble the entire thing in the right color order. All you can do is laugh!

Oh man what a pain. I plugged the holes with dowels and wood glue last night. I’ll put them all back on tonight and let you know how it goes

#225 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

All worked out!!!

#226 1 year ago

Thats great to hear!!

#227 1 year ago

Just updated the AD, Bally Eight Ball Deluxe is available now for $85.

Stern 9 Ball is coming soon, within the next few weeks!

Also, if anyone knows someone with a set of Bally Fathom rails, please let me know. Would love to add this to the library! Also still looking for a set of Fish Tales and Quicksilver!

#228 12 months ago

Stern 9 Ball is added to the library!

Coming soon is Fish Tales(FINALLY) and TOTAN! I'll keep you posted when they are available!

This weeks slate of rails is going to be 9 Ball and EBD! If anyone needs any sets made, just send me a PM!

2 weeks later
    #229 11 months ago

Wanted to share this Stern 9 Ball swap Im doing. Went with the blue on this and it came out really nice! The plastics will hide most of it but what does come through will look slick.

I have a Fish Tales coming into the shop soon so I will have FT rails available soon!

Thanks everyone for the opportunity to make these rails for you! Its been a blast doing them!

IMG_4034 (resized).jpgIMG_4034 (resized).jpgIMG_4035 (resized).jpgIMG_4035 (resized).jpgIMG_4036 (resized).jpgIMG_4036 (resized).jpgIMG_4038 (resized).jpgIMG_4038 (resized).jpgIMG_4039 (resized).jpgIMG_4039 (resized).jpg
    #230 11 months ago

I really need to get off my ass and send you the Dr Who rails. Perfect Blue for it too.

#231 11 months ago

Curious if you've approached Taylor about passing along his collection? If he really is done, it would be nice if the original rails that I and others donated could continue to help.

#232 11 months ago
    Quoted from Tophervette:

I really need to get off my ass and send you the Dr Who rails. Perfect Blue for it too.

Just send me a PM and I'll send you my addy! Would love to have that set! Im working with someone now to send me a Bonzai Run set, going to be awesome!!

Quoted from jaytrem:

Curious if you've approached Taylor about passing along his collection? If he really is done, it would be nice if the original rails that I and others donated could continue to help.

I did actually. As I was progressing in my vision to take this on I felt it necessary to do a few things before I kicked it off. First, was to get the nod from the patrons of Pinside. The last thing I wanted to do was create a divide, or seem bullish in my approach. I posted in his thread that I had the notion I could continue what he started, and I got the feeling pretty quick that most everyone was OK with me picking up this baton, so to speak. By this time I believe Taylor was quiet for over a year. I reached out him via PM and shared with him my thoughts and idea to continue what he had started. I also offered to go to VA and pay for and pick up his rail-library as well as some jigs he had made, if he didn't need them anymore. I probably would have bought some tools, bits or blades he wasn't interested in either. I did not get a response and that is OK. He did post a final response in his original thread and it said he was done making rails. You can still see his original thread if you search 'reese rails'. He provided a great service for all of us collectors, I hope to do the same. It's been a fun time making these and I love taking a slab of oak and ripping .5" rails out it! Just picked up a new slab today actually, finishing up a TAF set and starting a F-14!

#233 11 months ago

TAF Rails and back board going out tomorrow! Also sending out a set a F-14, been a great week to make rails!

IMG_4070 (resized).jpgIMG_4070 (resized).jpgIMG_4071 (resized).jpgIMG_4071 (resized).jpgIMG_4072 (resized).jpgIMG_4072 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #234 10 months ago

Need Monster Bash and Medieval Madness.

Someone please loan this guy a set!

#235 10 months ago
    Quoted from radium:

Need Monster Bash and Medieval Madness.
    Someone please loan this guy a set!

Two Williams classics! The sad thing is, Ive done three MM play field swaps in my time, just not after I stated this venture!

I do have a set of Solar Fire rails coming my way, they will be added to the library soon!

#236 10 months ago

Hoping to add a DE Jurassic Park and Diner to the mix!

#237 10 months ago

Mata-Hari rails came out great!! Went out in the mail today to help get another classic game up and running!

Jurassic Park - Data East rails added to the library, $75. Solar Fire, Diner and Firepower coming soon!

IMG_4136 2 (resized).jpgIMG_4136 2 (resized).jpgIMG_4137 (resized).jpgIMG_4137 (resized).jpgIMG_4139 (resized).jpgIMG_4139 (resized).jpg
    #238 10 months ago

Please notify me when Fishtales rails are available.

#239 10 months ago
    Quoted from Redknight87:

Please notify me when Fishtales rails are available.

Ive got a donor set on the way, hope they come today!

#240 10 months ago

Diner has been added to the library! $70

I have a set of Fish Tales coming my way soon, would love to have this finally available.

#241 10 months ago

Any chance of Quicksilver any time soon?

#242 10 months ago
    Quoted from reconsider59:

Any chance of Quicksilver any time soon?

Ive had a guy waiting for a set of Quicksilver rails for a year. Until I have a donor set, I cant replicate them, unfortunately.

#243 10 months ago

Fish Tales and Solar Fire have arrived!! Will have updated pricing up soon.........

#244 10 months ago

I am shocked no Whirlwind sets yet. Does anyone have that they can send if I pay shipping?

Mine are warped from water damage.

#245 10 months ago

New rails in the library! FINALLY after all this time Fish Tales has arrived!

Fish Tales $75
    Solar Fire $90

I hate to price SF so high but man there are 8 total pieces! It's a lot of wood and cutting. I updated the main AD with the new additions! If anyone has any questions reach out anytime!

#246 10 months ago

I may have access to some old Whirlwind rails for you. Will catch up when that happens.

Oh yeah, ibis is one of the great ones in this hobby, deal with confidence.

#247 10 months ago

Suddenly wishing people selling top side populated playfields as wall hangers would strip the rails off and send them in first.

#248 10 months ago

Thank you hawknole! I appreciate it very much!

Just a little eye candy, 6 sets in production. Ive never had to make so many cuts before LOL! I hope to get all these sanded by the end of tomorrow so I can start applying the finish Monday.

IMG_4220 (resized).jpgIMG_4220 (resized).jpg
    #249 10 months ago

All that wood has me excited! You know what I mean.

#250 10 months ago

Got some good news.......Dr. Who is coming soon!! I should have the donor set by the end of the week, pricing will be up shortly after that!

There are 391 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

It was generated from this Marketplace listing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-rails-reproduction-rails/page/5?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.