Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 388 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by ibis
  • Topic is favorited by 73 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6034.jpeg
    IMG_6054.jpeg
    IMG_6055.jpeg
    IMG_4887 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4888 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5137 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5130 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5129 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5128 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5121 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5124 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5123 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-03-07 214917 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-03-07 215032 (resized).png

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

It was generated from this Marketplace listing.

There are 388 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I guess transferring holes worked for Taylor because I don't think anyone ever complained about it....at least not publicly.
    If you were making them for me, I'd make it easy on you and request no holes.

FWIW, I bought 4 sets of Reese Rails over the years (4 different machines....two Ballys, one classic Stern, and one Williams) and all of his underside and topside pilot holes lined up perfectly. One of the Ballys and the classic Stern where CPR replacements, too. Maybe I just got lucky?

I can certainly see the value in people wanting to do their own pilot holes....seems like it would be a simple thing to request during ordering (Machine, Color, Pilot Holes Yes/No).

#52 1 year ago

2nd coat pic, just put the third coat on and Im pleased with it. The lacquer does tend to puddle easily so my technique of keeping this down to a minimum will get better over time. The pic doesn't show the puddling, thats all 'wet' reflection, but if it's angled against some light you can see where it happened. It isn't visible any other way, you have to look for it in the light so I don't think its an issue for being installed. I'll send the finished pics early next week. Im really happy with how this came out.

IMG_9481 (resized).jpgIMG_9481 (resized).jpg
    #53 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

2nd coat pic, just put the third coat on and Im pleased with it. The lacquer does tend to puddle easily so my technique of keeping this down to a minimum will get better over time. The pic doesn't show the puddling, thats all 'wet' reflection, but if it's angled against some light you can see where it happened. It isn't visible any other way, you have to look for it in the light so I don't think its an issue for being installed. I'll send the finished pics early next week. Im really happy with how this came out. [quoted image]

Needs to be a much darker and richer color, especially for black.

There should only be a hint of wood grain showing thru, and the wood grain should be plainly visible as a textured surface. It shouldnt be mirror smooth unless of course the wood is just that way.

this is all just my opinion though...

The finish however is beautiful.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The problem is your dimples, especially the ones on the underside, are only as good as the holes in the set that's sent to you. And they're only as good as the way the factory worker installed all the parts on the game initially. I don't know how many times I've seen rails not true to the edge of the playfield. And if I true them up when installing them on a new playfield, the holes on top won't line up.
    When dealing with repro playfields, I can almost guarantee some of the underside holes will not match up with those on the playfield. And some on the top won't either.
    I used to make my own rails and when I did, I didn't transfer any holes. I made all new ones as things were installed.
    I guess transferring holes worked for Taylor because I don't think anyone ever complained about it....at least not publicly.
    If you were making them for me, I'd make it easy on you and request no holes.
    You are right though, people not familiar with wood working need to be warned about drilling pilot holes.
    Edit: I will say, if you don't keep your old rails, you won't know where to mount the new ones if you don't have dimples or pilot holes.

i like transferred dimples just to cross checked that i am using the right rails on the right side most often they don't perfectly aligned for screwing into them, if no dimples, may at least a mark would be nice for cross reference purpose.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Needs to be a much darker and richer color, especially for black.
    There should only be a hint of wood grain showing thru, and the wood grain should be plainly visible as a textured surface. It shouldnt be mirror smooth unless of course the wood is just that way.
    this is all just my opinion though...
    The finish however is beautiful.

Yes, the grain is definitely showing well. Ill post a pic in some better light in the next say or two, it will have the third coat on it. I just got back form a trip so Im playing catch up.

Quoted from hisokajp:

i like transferred dimples just to cross checked that i am using the right rails on the right side most often they don't perfectly aligned for screwing into them, if no dimples, may at least a mark would be nice for cross reference purpose.

Ive used the one weekend to think it over and I think Ill be offering with/with-out the holes/dimples.

#56 1 year ago

Finish came out great although Im not happy with a little bit of puddling that occurred. By the third coat I got my application down with the lacquer better and should have minimal issues with paint boogers and puddles. Going to get these mailed out this week and look to open shop! Thank you all for your patience on this. I really wanted to make sure I tasted out my processes before I started to openly take orders.

IMG_9490 (resized).jpgIMG_9490 (resized).jpgIMG_9491 (resized).jpgIMG_9491 (resized).jpgIMG_9492 (resized).jpgIMG_9492 (resized).jpg
    #57 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

Finish came out great although Im not happy with a little bit of puddling that occurred. By the third coat I got my application down with the lacquer better and should have minimal issues with paint boogers and puddles. Going to get these mailed out this week and look to open shop! Thank you all for your patience on this. I really wanted to make sure I tasted out my processes before I started to openly take orders.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those look PERFECT!

#58 1 year ago

The AD is live, thanks for all your support and well wishes!

#59 1 year ago

Another et of F-14 ordered and a set for Night Rider too. These are rough cut, still need to sand, route the edges and of course stain. Will start working on that Friday as Im traveling tomorrow. Im going to try to match the blue the best I can, may come out a shade or so off but Ill try my best!

Ive got a few people in the wait-list as they need sets of rails but do not have a donor to offer. Until those come in, anyone who needs the titles listed in the AD or have a donor set, you will be next. Just drop me a PM! I possibly have a few new donor sets on the way, haven't received a return response but hopefully they are coming. As they arrive I will update the AD or reach out to those who have PM'ed me if they are what you were wanting.

IMG_9510 (resized).jpgIMG_9510 (resized).jpgIMG_9511 (resized).jpgIMG_9511 (resized).jpg
    #60 1 year ago

Finally tweaked my tapered-flute jig and got it to perform really well to make these cuts! Super happy to get past this and move on to making more rails!

Taxi and Wh20 rails are on the way so they will be added to the library.

2 sets of Night Rider and 1 set of F-14 should be done and sent out early next week! Tomorrow I will start playing around with the blue dye to try to match it up to the Night Rider color. Will post the results, should be interesting, at least a learning experience. Thanks for the orders!

IMG_0015 (resized).jpgIMG_0015 (resized).jpgIMG_0016 (resized).jpgIMG_0016 (resized).jpg
    #61 1 year ago

Updated rail library:

6 Million Dollar Man
    Bride of Pinbot
    F-14
    Funhouse(coming soon)
    Indiana Jones (Williams)
    Lost World(coming soon)
    Mata Hari
    Meteor
    Night Rider
    Paragon(coming soon)
    Taxi

Will be making two sets of IJ next week!

#62 1 year ago

Let me know when you are ready for Paragon, I'm doing a playfield swap and the old ones did not come off easily, they are toast and were battered already anyway. Thank you!

#63 1 year ago

PM sent T3QUILA

#64 1 year ago

F-14 and Night Rider sets going out Monday!

Up next, three sets of Williams IJ then three more sets of Paragon!

#65 1 year ago

I finally found the Funhouse rails. PM me.

funhouse siderails (resized).jpgfunhouse siderails (resized).jpg
    #66 1 year ago

Message sent to you in-box! Thanks!

#67 1 year ago

This last batch of stock material has some very pretty grain on it, going to make these IJ rails looks pretty special!

I hope to have a donor set of Paragon and FH rails coming in this week, so they will be available soon! I have 3 orders for Paragon when they do come in and I plan on cutting them next, so if you need Paragon, this would be the time to get on the wait list.

IMG_0052 (resized).jpgIMG_0052 (resized).jpg
    #68 1 year ago

Updated list of available Rails

6 Million Dollar Man
    Bride of Pinbot
    F-14
    Funhouse(coming soon)
    Harlem Globe Trotters
    Indiana Jones (Williams)
    Lost World
    Mata Hari
    Medusa
    Meteor
    Night Rider
    Paragon(coming soon)
    Taxi

If you don't see the game you need, send the rails to me.

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

I have 3 orders for Paragon when they do come in and I plan on cutting them next, so if you need Paragon, this would be the time to get on the wait list.
    [quoted image]

lol I just PMed you about paragon and lost world before I read this whole thread.

A37E4246-5B8C-475C-8B4B-30B2D354488D (resized).jpegA37E4246-5B8C-475C-8B4B-30B2D354488D (resized).jpeg
    #71 1 year ago

A set of Funhouse donor rails just arrived, they are now apart of the library. I have two sets that are going to be made very soon so if you need a set, now is the time to get on the wait list.

#72 1 year ago

Rails are beautiful and they fit great!

07EF070E-05CB-4E30-975C-11F2F6A3892A (resized).jpeg07EF070E-05CB-4E30-975C-11F2F6A3892A (resized).jpeg0D5D9805-B2B1-4D1E-BA9B-71D4D09FCCAC (resized).jpeg0D5D9805-B2B1-4D1E-BA9B-71D4D09FCCAC (resized).jpeg9DA2CC7F-267D-4412-960F-6855E2148B4B (resized).jpeg9DA2CC7F-267D-4412-960F-6855E2148B4B (resized).jpeg
    #73 1 year ago

Someone get this man a set of Quicksilver rails!

#74 1 year ago

Thank you Dave, it was my pleasure to make them! Thank you for the installation pics!

I think my processes are getting much better too, as well as faster. Here are some pics of a custom set of Night Rider rails in blue dye and some IJ rails in black dye that are going to be mailed out next week. The dye is interesting because it reacts to the grain differently than the wood. With the blue the color the grain gets darker, with the black the grain can cause it to be lighter. It noticeable close up but doesn't look bad, and in the game it's going to look awesome!

Next up is going to be Funhouse and a bunch of Paragon(when the donor set arrives)!

And yes, I can use a set of Quicksilver for the library, I have several on the wait list for that title!

IMG_0077 (resized).jpgIMG_0077 (resized).jpgIMG_0071 (resized).jpgIMG_0071 (resized).jpgIMG_0073 (resized).jpgIMG_0073 (resized).jpgIMG_0075 (resized).jpgIMG_0075 (resized).jpgIMG_0076 (resized).jpgIMG_0076 (resized).jpg
    #75 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

Here are some pics of a custom set of Night Rider rails in blue dye

Those look totally awesome. Can't wait to install them!

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

Thank you Dave, it was my pleasure to make them! Thank you for the installation pics!
    I think my processes are getting much better too, as well as faster. Here are some pics of a custom set of Night Rider rails in blue dye and some IJ rails in black dye that are going to be mailed out next week. The dye is interesting because it reacts to the grain differently than the wood. With the blue the color the grain gets darker, with the black the grain can cause it to be lighter. It noticeable close up but doesn't look bad, and in the game it's going to look awesome!
    Next up is going to be Funhouse and a bunch of Paragon(when the donor set arrives)!
    And yes, I can use a set of Quicksilver for the library, I have several on the wait list for that title! [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Might need a bit more pigment in the blue lacquer or more coats of dye on the bare wood or both, its kinda light or too transparent, could be deeper in my opinion.

Otherwise its good work.

#77 1 year ago

Might need a bit more pigment in the blue lacquer or more coats of dye on the bare wood or both, its kinda light or too transparent, could be deeper in my opinion.
    Otherwise its good work.

It's an honest observation. To be clear, dye does not coat the top-side of the wood. It penetrates the fibers of the wood and leaves some surface color exposed. It's not paint, it certainly has a different look, so when we discuss what you want, this is good information to know. And you are correct, more dye in the formula would equate a darker/deeper color. In the full Florida sun as the picture was taken, the color looks light, but the other picture indoors, it's much darker. I believe that under glass and lit by LED's the color will be very rich and even more dark/deep. This batch of dye/lacquer-mix was about 10-12 drops of dye in a small jar of lacquer. I could go for more drops, it certainly would be less coats for me to apply, but this mix seemed to satisfy the customer. Im still adjusting and testing all these options and it's all a learning process. In the end, someone may want the wood/grain to show, others won't. But these results help me learn what I need to do to get the end result. BTW, for any rail that was covered in black vinyl, mostly the late 80's thru the late 90's, the black dye covers about 95% or more of the wood fiber. So luckily there is no issue of tint there.

So with that being said, I am testing some over the counter acrylics that will cover the wood like paint. This 'look' was a common finish for rails in the Bally/Stern classic era. The issue is coating it with a protective and glossy layer of lacquer. If I was to 'paint' the rails with no protection, I think the possibility of them getting worn could be high. Depending on the brand of the acrylic and lacquer, sometimes when they are applied together, they don't work and create issues when curing. So far Im getting good results. So if a 'paint' is wanted(closest to factory color), I can certainty do my best to accommodate.

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

It's an honest observation. To be clear, dye does not coat the top-side of the wood. It penetrates the fibers of the wood and leaves some surface color exposed. It's not paint, it certainly has a different look, so when we discuss what you want, this is good information to know. And you are correct, more dye in the formula would equate a darker/deeper color. In the full Florida sun as the picture was taken, the color looks light, but the other picture indoors, it's much darker. I believe that under glass and lit by LED's the color will be very rich and even more dark/deep. This batch of dye/lacquer-mix was about 10-12 drops of dye in a small jar of lacquer. I could go for more drops, it certainly would be less coats for me to apply, but this mix seemed to satisfy the customer. Im still adjusting and testing all these options and it's all a learning process. In the end, someone may want the wood/grain to show, others won't. But these results help me learn what I need to do to get the end result. BTW, for any rail that was covered in black vinyl, mostly the late 80's thru the late 90's, the black dye covers about 95% or more of the wood fiber. So luckily there is no issue of tint there.
    So with that being said, I am testing some over the counter acrylics that will cover the wood like paint. This 'look' was a common finish for rails in the Bally/Stern classic era. The issue is coating it with a protective and glossy layer of lacquer. If I was to 'paint' the rails with no protection, I think the possibility of them getting worn could be high. Depending on the brand of the acrylic and lacquer, sometimes when they are applied together, they don't work and create issues when curing. So far Im getting good results. So if a 'paint' is wanted(closest to factory color), I can certainty do my best to accommodate.

Personally I wouldnt invest any time in acrylic paints. They are not durable and dont have the desired effect.

Dont even bother with them.

Heavily dying the wood, then heavily dying the lacquer finish coat, does an exceptional job.
    This looks better than any paint ever would.

This is what we have learned to expect.

In my experience you will get zero complaints about super rich colors and finishes.

#79 1 year ago

Love the Blue.

EatPM, Skateball and Flash Gordon sets (for library) headed your way on Monday.

Keep up the good work.

#80 1 year ago

I got the Ibis Rails today for my Night Rider and wow I'm pleased. Pictures don't really do it justice - such a cool shade of blue and it really pops. The underside pilot holes and the topside dimples all lined up perfectly.

Here are some pix of the rails installed without plastics and unlit, and then with GI on along with the plastics installed. I can't wait for Colorado winter to be over so I can work on the cabinet, finish up the project, and play the thing!
    IMG_3388 (resized).jpgIMG_3388 (resized).jpgIMG_3389 (resized).jpgIMG_3389 (resized).jpgIMG_3390 (resized).jpgIMG_3390 (resized).jpgIMG_3391 (resized).jpgIMG_3391 (resized).jpgIMG_3392 (resized).jpgIMG_3392 (resized).jpgIMG_3393 (resized).jpgIMG_3393 (resized).jpgIMG_3394 (resized).jpgIMG_3394 (resized).jpgIMG_3395 (resized).jpgIMG_3395 (resized).jpgIMG_3396 (resized).jpgIMG_3396 (resized).jpgIMG_3397 (resized).jpgIMG_3397 (resized).jpgIMG_3398 (resized).jpgIMG_3398 (resized).jpgIMG_3400 (resized).jpgIMG_3400 (resized).jpgIMG_3401 (resized).jpgIMG_3401 (resized).jpgIMG_3402 (resized).jpgIMG_3402 (resized).jpgIMG_3403 (resized).jpgIMG_3403 (resized).jpg

#81 1 year ago

Firepower rails are on the way! That blue is nice! Almost making me consider red

#82 1 year ago

Thank you for the kind words! They were fun to make! The sun light in my original pics make the color look light, but really they are quite dark indoors and in the game. This set had 5 coats of dyed lacquer to get them dark. As I play with the mix of dye/lacquer Im understanding the amount of drops and the amount of coats to get the end result. I wish it was a science but it really is just what the 'eye' likes to see. My dye colors are still a little limited but it's been cool trying them out! I have a new dye that is used in fabric that I haven't attempted to use yet but if it works, it can open up some more color options as well. And yes, I can do red!

#83 1 year ago

Those look very bright out in the sun but will appear much darker in a game.

edit: d'oh, ibis just said that

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Those look very bright out in the sun but will appear much darker in a game.
    edit: d'oh, ibis just said that

I must say, that in the game they look just about right.

#85 1 year ago

I could really use a set of Paragon rails! If anyone has a set or needs a set and willing to donate theirs, it would be a huge help. Have many people waiting on this title. Thanks!!

And the list of rails have been updated too! Now offering WH20!

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

I could really use a set of Paragon rails! If anyone has a set or needs a set and willing to donate theirs, it would be a huge help. Have many people waiting on this title. Thanks!!

I pulled mine off already, but they're in pretty rough shape and strewn throughout the house. Remind me, if by the weekend nobody stepped up, I'll go hunt then down and send you pictures to see if they are usable for you.

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

I think I found all rail pieces (5), let me know if your want pics to assess them. Just PM me.

#88 1 year ago

I have a set on the way! Should get them very soon, Ill keep this thread posted!

#89 1 year ago

sorry about that, I just saw the post about paragon, im almost finished with my playfield swap, and put my old ones back on for now, since I hadnt heard anything back from you, I assumed you found some already.

#90 1 year ago

Firepower rails added to the list!

I just got back from a week long business trip, Im ready to get back to cutting some rails! I have a lot of people waiting on Paragon and a set of then is on the way for my template! So in the mean time, I am going to work on a a few other orders. Up next.....

Funhouse (x2)
    WH20
    Harlem
    Night Rider
    Mata-Hari

I'll be reaching out to you via email who ordered these rails. After this round it will be a BUNCH of Paragon! Thanks all for your patience!

#91 1 year ago

Williams Indiana Jones rail set received and is outstanding!

Great care exercised in packaging for shipping is much appreciated as well. Many thanks for your craftsmanship!!

E010C076-A0AD-466E-8D1C-310C6EA1B5D3 (resized).jpegE010C076-A0AD-466E-8D1C-310C6EA1B5D3 (resized).jpeg
    #92 1 year ago

Thank you for the kind words! Really enjoyed making them!!

Next 5 sets are already cut! What better thing to do after getting home from a 7 day business trip, then to blow off some steam by cutting some wood! LOL!

Paragon is coming soon in the next batch!

IMG_3569 (resized).jpgIMG_3569 (resized).jpg
    #93 1 year ago

I just got my IJ rails from Leon and pictures truly don't do justice to how nice these are- well done! They look great but what got me was the feel of them when I pulled them out of the packaging- so much better than the original!

IMG_4443.jpgIMG_4443.jpgIMG_4444.jpgIMG_4444.jpg
    #94 1 year ago

That Oak has a beautiful grain to it, makes it feel tough and strong and has a great look to it too. Im glad you like them! They came out great, I was very happy with them.

#95 1 year ago

Someone send this guy Monster Bash and Medieval Madness please

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

Someone send this guy Monster Bash and Medieval Madness please

What sucks is I did a few MM swaps for people a while back but this was before I thought of doing this.

#97 1 year ago

Customer is looking for a MM for me to do so I’ll have some eventually. Unless someone up here in NE needs a swap for one now?

#98 1 year ago

UPDATE!

I have 6 sets of rails in the final process of completion now. I should have 4 sets shipped by Friday and the other two by Monday, so if you were contacted earlier about your set being cut, youll get another email for payment/shipping soon.

PARAGON is in the HOUSE! Thank you Leif for sending me your donor set! The next round of rails will be a lot of Paragon rails and one or two others as well! For those that are on the list, I will be reaching out to you soon to make sure you're still wanting a set! Thank you for your patience!!

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from ibis:

UPDATE!
    I have 6 sets of rails in the final process of completion now. I should have 4 sets shipped by Friday and the other two by Monday, so if you were contacted earlier about your set being cut, youll get another email for payment/shipping soon.
    PARAGON is in the HOUSE! Thank you Leif for sending me your donor set! The next round of rails will be a lot of Paragon rails and one or two others as well! For those that are on the list, I will be reaching out to you soon to make sure you're still wanting a set! Thank you for your patience!!

Whenever you get Twilight Zone and Theatre of Magic templates I'm in for both.

#100 1 year ago

Absolutely, great games and hopefully more rails are donated for the library so we can expand the offering!

There are 388 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

It was generated from this Marketplace listing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-rails-reproduction-rails/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.