(Topic ID: 4443)

Pinball price BUBBLE ... think it can't happen? THINK AGAIN!

By Hyperion

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,050 posts
  • 289 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 59 days ago by JWilberdog
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you think there is a Pinball Price Bubble?”

• Yes 265 votes
      45%
    • No 202 votes
      35%
    • Maybe 83 votes
      14%
    • I don't care long as I make more $$$ 33 votes
      6%

(583 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

720 (resized).jpg
    Beef-Stroganoff-Recipe-9 (resized).jpg
    medicine.gif
    IMG_0285 (resized).png
    C0F20021-920D-43FF-B712-0B224763EA5A.gif
    df8bcdcc-0fc4-41da-a236-dc499c05614c_text.gif
    revenge-of-the-nerds-fire-3.gif
    revenge-of-the-nerds-fire-4.gif
    06AF2B45-791D-4627-84CE-2EFEE9688266 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1997 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2006 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1811 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20230719_191134_Brave (resized).jpg
    6350EBD5-B1CD-4607-82FB-D27100639F3E.gif
    IMG_8068 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8067 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,050 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 21.
    #951 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

Why the hell you give away a met premium at 5 k . The nib price of 6400 to the door price never once dropped . And the premium now gets 10 k minimum. You gave that away on your own

Maybe it was $6K? Dont recall. was a few years ago. Can I get it for $6K now? What with the bubble bursting and all...

#952 3 months ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Maybe it was $6K? Dont recall. was a few years ago. Can I get it for $6K now? What with the bubble bursting and all...

Heck no

#953 3 months ago

You can get a MET Pro for 6k.

#954 3 months ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

Where?

#955 3 months ago

There's several listed on here sub-7000 that have been up for going on two months. Start reaching out and see if anyone is a motivated seller. I've seen some on FB as well that have been sitting at 6500 for weeks.

#956 3 months ago

Mine in NJ. $6500, but not "motivated" enough to drop further

#958 3 months ago

I remember after three months wanting Metallica LE so gone, I could hardly give it away.

It's one of those things that might be worth more now, but at least I didn't have to suffer with it for the last 10 years.

#959 3 months ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

Pros should be closer to $5K if the market is soft. If the bubble burst they should be closer to $4K...

#960 3 months ago

so much talk about soft market, where are my cheap pins at?!

#961 3 months ago

I'm seeing less used pins for sale on the pinside marketplace...

#962 3 months ago

none of my DMDs are on the chopping block, except maybe Airborne once i get the ledocd straightened out…. but i did learn how to stack those lower end alpha pins on their end and keep a row of rotation pins on tap. definitely no fire sales here lol.

#963 3 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Probably people pulling ads, I'm getting pretty close to just taking a breather. A lot of people are just favoriting ads waiting for prices to crater it seems.

#964 3 months ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

Should be $4k. I used to grab used ones all the time for $3600-3800.

#965 3 months ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

I'm getting pretty close to just taking a breather.

From selling pins way more than MSRP? Got to be exausting? :\

#966 3 months ago

Quoted from mbl1116:

Probably people pulling ads, I'm getting pretty close to just taking a breather. A lot of people are just favoriting ads waiting for prices to crater it seems.

I've still moved a few pins for myself and a friend the past few months. Its easy!

Step 1. List pin for sale on pinside and elsewhere for what you believe to be a fair price.
    Step 2. Wait 1 week for offers.
    Step 3. If it doesn't sell, lower price $300-$500
    Step 4.-infintity, repeat steps 2 and 3 until gone.

Its hard to get cash for a pin right now, but I've had no issues with the above method. You get MUCH better results when accepting trades+cash... even when you have to turn around and sell it (after sufficient play testing). Heck...I've had tons of fun with games I didn't really want doing that... Except Judge Dredd.

Longest it took to sell a game this way was 2 weeks.

You are not going to win on every pin.

#967 3 months ago
    Quoted from Whistles:

From selling pins way more than MSRP? Got to be exausting? :\

#968 3 months ago

i’ve gotten two badass trades in the last month tho. fantastic time to work a trade.

#969 3 months ago
    Quoted from Darkwing:

i’ve gotten two badass trades in the last month tho. fantastic time to work a trade.

Just did a 3 way (trade) not long ago...never thought I'd see the day!

#970 3 months ago

Sub 6k strn premiums are coming...Ive got my money ready.

#971 3 months ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Sub 6k strn premiums are coming

Besides WWE? I'm in! How long do you think we'll have to wait?

#972 3 months ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Right before covid grabbed a $5200 MET premium. I am ready for those days again.

#973 3 months ago

Why do you already own an Xmen?

#974 3 months ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Should be $4k. I used to grab used ones all the time for $3600-3800.

I don't see that happening given the current NIB pricing. Those need to waiver for other prices to drop further. I think the prices of the in-demand DMD titles aren't going sub-5k any time soon.

Although there is a really nice, original Shadow posted in my local market for just under this. I'm guessing though that you all think A-list DMD titles like that should be 2k, because at one point that's what it sold for! Even though it has better shots and mechs than anything for sale by Stern at 7k these days, and they're never making it again.

#975 3 months ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

I don't see that happening given the current NIB pricing. Those need to waiver for other prices to drop further. I think the prices of the in-demand DMD titles aren't going sub-5k any time soon.
    Although there is a really nice, original Shadow posted in my local market for just under this. I'm guessing though that you all think A-list DMD titles like that should be 2k, because at one point that's what it sold for! Even though it has better shots and mechs than anything for sale by Stern at 7k these days, and they're never making it again.

Shadow is an A-list for gameplay, but it's a C-list for theme.. so at best a B-list overall, and a ~4k game all day long before, during and after covid bubble.

#976 3 months ago
    Quoted from koji:

Shadow is an A-list for gameplay, but it's a C-list for theme.. so at best a B-list overall, and a 3-4k game all day long before, during and after covid bubble.

You pop a new backglass in it and it's theme is better than any of the many Marvel games, to me, but I know what you mean. The game play is the allure of all the A-list DMD titles though. There's very few where both theme and gameplay are an A.

#977 3 months ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

You pop a new backglass in it and it's theme is better than any of the many Marvel games, to me, but I know what you mean. The game play is the allure of all the A-list DMD titles though. There's very few where both theme and gameplay are an A.

Yeah, just wanted to clarify it should not be factored as an A-list title value wise in this comparison.. it's never been in the same value range as AFM, MM, TZ, TAF etc.

#978 3 months ago
    Quoted from koji:

Shadow is an A-list for gameplay, but it's a C-list for theme.. so at best a B-list overall, and a 3-4k game all day long before, during and after covid bubble.

A Shadow in decent shape hasn't gone for $3k since 2015. It was a $4k+ pin well before Covid, inflation, etc. came along. And you'll need a real market correction to get back to those 2010 pricing levels.

#979 3 months ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

A Shadow in decent shape hasn't gone for $3k since 2015. It was a $4k+ pin well before Covid, inflation, etc. came along. And you'll need a real market correction to get back to those 2010 pricing levels.

Perhaps a regional thing.. I've seen it pop up a few times in that price range in my area - (I've seen it not sell for a while at the 4500-5k range, but once it drops to the 3-4k range, it's gone of course).

#980 3 months ago
    Quoted from koji:

Perhaps a regional thing.. I've seen it pop up a few times in that price range in my area.

We're talking $3k, not $3.99k right?

#981 3 months ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

We're talking $3k, not $3.99k right?

I'm going currency conversion, I'll admin 3k USD (4k CAD), would be a steal... so yeah, the more 'fair' price ball park would be around 4k USD.. sorry-

#982 3 months ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Not long. Im scoping 6800 tmnt prems right now. I bet they hit 6k by xmas....

#983 3 months ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

i was one of those! HA! i would have bought your met pro, was on the fence between that or a BKSOR pro, found a pro for 5800 with a shaker had to do it. Prob where i would have offered you WITHOUT the topper. so would have been fairly close to what you wanted.

#984 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I remember after three months wanting Metallica LE so gone, I could hardly give it away.
    It's one of those things that might be worth more now, but at least I didn't have to suffer with it for the last 10 years.

You are insane!

#985 3 months ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

You are insane!

Also, last LE i saw for sale went for seventeen thousand and change.

What dont you like about it?

#986 3 months ago

My 2 cents that nobody asked for:

Not everyone bought pins in the last two years and sold an organ to pay for it (ie paid high market price). So while list prices are lower than we have grown to accept, a person selling a game for less than what you think it was worth in 2023 is not the same as someone being underwater on it. You can still sell pins for a fair price today and not be hurt on it. So yeah, people will list things today cheaper than a year ago which is linked to the current reality.

I read in the thread about the new B/W remake manufacturer thread that CV was a potential title. And that people can’t wait for that game to be made so all us greedy OG owners will take a bath. I’ve owned mine for 7 years and sure as F didn’t pay 10k+ for it. So even if it’s not worth what it was pre-remake (premake?) does not mean i’m taking a bath. A bath to me means i sell it at a loss, not for less than i could have in a hypothetical world where i wanted to sell it..

#987 3 months ago

I hope prices come down sadly I didn’t get into pinball until a year into Covid then prices were crazy

#988 3 months ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

i was one of those! HA! i would have bought your met pro, was on the fence between that or a BKSOR pro, found a pro for 5800 with a shaker had to do it. Prob where i would have offered you WITHOUT the topper. so would have been fairly close to what you wanted.

Seems like a good price on that title and you made the right call bc Metallica would not have left here for $5800

#989 3 months ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Also, last LE i saw for sale went for seventeen thousand and change.
    What dont you like about it?

Met is awesome but the LE was another I the lone of worse looking models. Road Case? Yuck

#990 3 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Met is awesome but the LE was another I the lone of worse looking models. Road Case? Yuck

Shit I sometimes wish my art was the roadcase. As far as the LE art, I much prefer the Master of Puppets treatment, over all that odd orange, green and purple on the other models. Metallica has never really used those colors so kinda odd IMO.

#991 3 months ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

You are insane!

Shadow is a better game. And better theme. And certainly a better manufacturer.

And covid had nothing to do with any of that.

#992 3 months ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Not long. Im scoping 6800 tmnt prems right now. I bet they hit 6k by xmas....

Ive been sitting on AIQ prem for sub 6800 for 7 weeks
    just dropped to 6500

Pulled my Stranger things w/UV after I dropped it to 5800 and only crazy low ball offers

#993 3 months ago

I think we can all agree the magic numbers are $5k for pros and $7k for premiums (obviously adjusted for condition/title popularity).

When they hit these prices, things sell. Too far above these prices, it's mostly trades these days.

#994 3 months ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

just dropped to 6500
    Pulled my Stranger things w/UV after I dropped it to 5800 and only crazy low ball offers

I would have taken your st with uv for $5800, that’s a pretty good deal.

#995 3 months ago
    Quoted from fuzz:

just dropped to 6500

Part of that is location. I've got a buddy not too far from you that comes up my way (Maryland) for work frequently. When he has trouble moving games he leaves them with me and they tend to sell pretty darn quick and for alot more around here. Moved a Walking Dead LE and a Mando LE for him this year. Sold pretty quick at prices higher than he could have gotten to locals.

Location, location, location.

I just bought (traded for) a Stranger Things Premium NIB because i was shot down at $6200 for a lightly used pro with UV here semi locally (PA) just last month.

#996 3 months ago

Always some sweet deals down in Florida. Good way to sell higher priced pins quick is to trade for lower priced ones + cash. Then sell the lower priced one a few weeks later. I did this with a Turtles. Enjoyed that game for a couple months and then moved it.

#997 3 months ago
    Quoted from insight75:

Always some sweet deals down in Florida. Best way to sell higher priced pins is to trade for lower priced ones + cash. Then sell the lower priced one a few weeks later. I did this with a Turtles. Enjoyed that game for a couple months and then moved it.

Absolutely!

In order to move my P3 base after selling all the modules but one, I had to trade for a Toy Story LE and cash... Then I traded the Toy Story LE and cash for a Star Wars Pro and Cash. Still lost my shirt, but not as bad as if I had held out for cash.

I did something similar when moving Godzilla. Godzilla Prem for JP Prem + cash... Play the crud out of it. JP Prem for G&R + cash... play the crud out of it. G&R for TNA + Cash, play the crud out of it. TNA for Barracora + Cash, Cash for Barracora after I was in over my head fixing it. In the course of a year I got to play 5 different pins, have them all delivered to my house, and ended up with a little more cash than I started with.

IF you have space and like trying new things (not married to one specific pin) trades +/- cash welcomed almost always nets you a better deal than cash would... and usually results in someone dropping off a new (to you) pin at your house. I've done most all my pin ads that way. Really helps when pinball times are "lean".

#998 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Shadow is a better game. And better theme. And certainly a better manufacturer.
    And covid had nothing to do with any of that.

Ill have to find a Shadow to play!

#999 3 months ago

Absolutely!
    In order to move my P3 base after selling all the modules but one, I had to trade for a Toy Story LE and cash... Then I traded the Toy Story LE and cash for a Star Wars Pro and Cash. Still lost my shirt, but not as bad as if I had held out for cash.
    I did something similar when moving Godzilla. Godzilla Prem for JP Prem + cash... Play the crud out of it. JP Prem for G&R + cash... play the crud out of it. G&R for TNA + Cash, play the crud out of it. TNA for Barracora + Cash, Cash for Barracora after I was in over my head fixing it. In the course of a year I got to play 5 different pins, have them all delivered to my house, and ended up with a little more cash than I started with.
    IF you have space and like trying new things (not married to one specific pin) trades +/- cash welcomed almost always nets you a better deal than cash would... and usually results in someone dropping off a new (to you) pin at your house. I've done most all my pin ads that way. Really helps when pinball times are "lean".

Yeah its a great strategy. I never had any interest in Turtles but really enjoyed my time with it... I may try a 2 for 1 at some point.

#1000 3 months ago

Absolutely!

As the market shifted toward greater NIB HUO, trades made much more sense. Sounds like you've found a plan (and location) that works well for this. Not gonna lie, having 5 new to you games in about a year,,, sweet!

There are 1,050 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-price-bubble-think-it-cant-happen-think-again/page/20?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.