(Topic ID: 4443)

Pinball price BUBBLE ... think it can't happen? THINK AGAIN!

By Hyperion

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,050 posts
  • 289 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 56 days ago by JWilberdog
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you think there is a Pinball Price Bubble?”

• Yes 265 votes
      45%
    • No 202 votes
      35%
    • Maybe 83 votes
      14%
    • I don't care long as I make more $$$ 33 votes
      6%

(583 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

720 (resized).jpg
    Beef-Stroganoff-Recipe-9 (resized).jpg
    medicine.gif
    IMG_0285 (resized).png
    C0F20021-920D-43FF-B712-0B224763EA5A.gif
    df8bcdcc-0fc4-41da-a236-dc499c05614c_text.gif
    revenge-of-the-nerds-fire-3.gif
    revenge-of-the-nerds-fire-4.gif
    06AF2B45-791D-4627-84CE-2EFEE9688266 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1997 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2006 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1811 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_20230719_191134_Brave (resized).jpg
    6350EBD5-B1CD-4607-82FB-D27100639F3E.gif
    IMG_8068 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8067 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#376 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is what happened.
    Pinball people hate “losing” money more than they fear poverty or death.
    This will never change.

Truth. and as a buyer, if they say: "Well.. I'm into it for..." and that number checks out, it's usually a pretty darn good buy.

The worst however is when someone has left the machine to rot without proper storage, or it has taken on massive damage and they still want what they paid.. that is quite frustrating .

3 months later
    #388 1 year ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

from what I have seen it gets more ridiculous every day, Sold a players condition Raven for 800 bucks earlier this year because to me that was an honest price and thats all it was really worth ...two weeks later it was on facebook marketplace for 2 gran ....that was a bad deal for the person that bought it at 2 gran....sold a spring break for 1500 and now 8 months later I just saw it listed for 2600 .....if the guy gets that much,it's a better investment return than he could ever get from the stock market ....It's mind boggling what people are willing to spend and as long as the trend continues the bubble will never burst. Whatever happened to the muffler guy who said " I'm not going to pay a lot for this muffler" or the old lady from Wendy's who complained " Where is the beef ?"

The sad part is one of the great aspects of this community for a LONG time was that you could buy a pin, enjoy it, sell it.. buy another pin.. enjoy it sell it.. people would sell for around what they were into it for.. or at least, there was a general idea of what it was worth.

I've no problem with someone picking up a good deal.. hey that is going to happen too.. but you hit it with what you said about what the pin is worth. I just feel sad to see people overpay by so much $. esp when the machine is not really clean, playing well or desirable... that person or the person they sell to.. at some point.. someone is left holding the bag with a $500 pin they paid $5k for.

3 months later
    #437 1 year ago
    Quoted from allsportdvd:

2 above
    Any idea if they've dropped well below that?

Apparently you just need to wait for: "sellers grow impatient."

6 months later
    #494 10 months ago
    Quoted from Classics_Master:

Also, if someone is just getting into the hobby, it’s a great time to buy EM’s! The classics are about the same price if not less than they were even 10 years ago. It’s kinda crazy, as some of these EM’s are actually more fun to play than some of the early SS machines for a fraction of the cost! I’d say build your EM collection right now, most games will be less than $1000. Just avoid the high priced titles such as El Dorado, just get a target alpha or solar city instead of you like that layout

Probably a regional thing. I'm seeing EMs in general doing fairly well still.

Those B list EMs like Solar City have never fetched high value. I'd argue that they go for more now than they did 10 yrs ago.
    Looking at pinside in 2015, they were going for $600, and the latest median is $1200. Pretty on par with general used pin prices. Pretty on point, El Dorado started at $1100 and is now at $2200.

2 weeks later
    #621 9 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I think the pinside price range for most titles is pretty accurate, it just depends on the number of transactions or liquidity of the market. As others noted, location adjustments may be needed too.

Yeah, low volume and the lack of condition variables can really throw the numbers for older machines.

Would be interesting to build indexes of particular groupings for larger trends..

#624 9 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Yesterdays Prices Help in what way ?The only Price that matters is what You Pay/charge Today.
    [quoted image]

They help a seller know what price is fair.

If I need to sell some pins, I'm going to look at recent sales, and base my price on that +/- based on condition etc.

#646 9 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When I sell a game retail through my website, it's a retail sale.
    When I sell a game here to another hobbyist, it's a hobby sale.
    Regardless of where I sell a game, it's none of your business what I sell it for (unless I sold it to you).
    But hey, you do you.

Perhaps pinside needs a new badge.
    [/] - this pinsider frequently sells games above the pinside average.
    [\] - this pinsider frequently sells games below the pinside average.

#683 9 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Part of manufacturing is being able to be flexible with your production schedules and understanding there is ups and downs, I'm sure they have this all well in hand barring economic calamity which would affect more than just Stern.
    At the moment, they are doing peachy.

Exactly.. And who would know this better than Stern given the company history.

#806 9 months ago
    Quoted from Aquapin:

Yes, CDN. Keep in mind after taxes, shipping, and exchange our price lands mid 15K CDN.
    I had it listed for 5 weeks before getting it sold and obviously started higher and lowered the price every few weeks. To say it was solely d/t reliability would be inaccurate and unfair. I believe it was a combination of many things including time of year, current economy, manufacturer (track history and current game title issues with boards and code), theme, reviews, softening market, etc.
    But yes reliability short term and long term have to effect a games value, it does in almost any other industry why would this hobby be exempt?

Was killing me seeing that listing.. I wanted to jump on it, I was trying to convince people I know... but they would rather complain later about there not being any good deals etc I suppose

#813 9 months ago
    Quoted from DiabloRush:

The game was listed for 3 weeks on our local Facebook marketplace page. I finally went to see it, made the offer, and took home the game. He had zero interest at his initial price of $3k. Only reason I got the game at my price was his lack of sale and weeks of advertising at $3000.
    That's not the only good local deal. I picked up a quite nice Hyperball for $1000 early this year.[quoted image]

But you say $800 in parts, so it was originally listed at 3k, but was still a project machine?

In that case, it doesn't surprise me, since project machines != market value.. even when you add up $ etc.

#837 9 months ago

Plus they have been used at a show, so there is an additional discount on that. I have seen this a few times now, but there is a good discount based on this show use, which can be quite a lot of plays.

6 months later
    #975 3 months ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

I don't see that happening given the current NIB pricing. Those need to waiver for other prices to drop further. I think the prices of the in-demand DMD titles aren't going sub-5k any time soon.
    Although there is a really nice, original Shadow posted in my local market for just under this. I'm guessing though that you all think A-list DMD titles like that should be 2k, because at one point that's what it sold for! Even though it has better shots and mechs than anything for sale by Stern at 7k these days, and they're never making it again.

Shadow is an A-list for gameplay, but it's a C-list for theme.. so at best a B-list overall, and a ~4k game all day long before, during and after covid bubble.

#977 3 months ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

You pop a new backglass in it and it's theme is better than any of the many Marvel games, to me, but I know what you mean. The game play is the allure of all the A-list DMD titles though. There's very few where both theme and gameplay are an A.

Yeah, just wanted to clarify it should not be factored as an A-list title value wise in this comparison.. it's never been in the same value range as AFM, MM, TZ, TAF etc.

#979 89 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

A Shadow in decent shape hasn't gone for $3k since 2015. It was a $4k+ pin well before Covid, inflation, etc. came along. And you'll need a real market correction to get back to those 2010 pricing levels.

Perhaps a regional thing.. I've seen it pop up a few times in that price range in my area - (I've seen it not sell for a while at the 4500-5k range, but once it drops to the 3-4k range, it's gone of course).

#981 89 days ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

We're talking $3k, not $3.99k right?

I'm going currency conversion, I'll admin 3k USD (4k CAD), would be a steal... so yeah, the more 'fair' price ball park would be around 4k USD.. sorry-

2 weeks later
    #1039 75 days ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I think the point here is that Sharkey's Shootout is a vastly under-rated and under-priced game in todays market.

Sort-of. Definitely needs a code update for some of the characters and a fix/mod for the geometry of the VUK to the pop cycle.

I recall going through the callouts in pinball-browser. Quite a few funny ones that did not make it into the production code.

I think a few Data East titles have really benefitted from recent code adjustments.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-price-bubble-think-it-cant-happen-think-again?tu=koji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.