View topic image gallery

Cyan Comparison.JPG
image.jpg
image-298.jpg
image-998.jpg
image.jpg
cometpinball.jpg
IMG_0647.JPG
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I was lucky enough to get the first op-max bulbs from Comet Pinball to try and I can't believe how they look. My TSPP had green leds and they were weak. Tried a couple different ones but they just didn't light up the towers. Here are the op-max bulbs:

IMG_0647.JPGIMG_0647.JPG

I need to put a regular led in one of them again just to show the side by side comparison because it is just amazing. Every other led I tried just lit up maybe half and I wanted them to pop, and pop they do. I was told color ones should be in this week too so I might see what the red looks like. The other bulbs and prices are great too, did the game for probably half what a kit would have cost.

#2 10 years ago

I scored one this weekend have been trying to find the time to be able to play around with it. Will add pics to this thread once I do.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

I was lucky enough to get the first op-max bulbs from Comet Pinball to try and I can't believe how they look. My TSPP had green leds and they were weak. Tried a couple different ones but they just didn't light up the towers. Here are the op-max bulbs:

IMG_0647.JPG 2 MB

WOW

#4 10 years ago

Holy crap, are they gonna melt the plastic? heh.

#5 10 years ago

That is the only company I order from now. Prices are great, shipping is crazy fast, and they are quick at responding to any questions or problems. I had a mix up with my order and he sent me a shipping label to send back the old bulbs within an hour of me email him. Great customer service.

I got one of those bulbs thrown it, but haven't tried it yet.

#6 10 years ago

The formal release of this bulb, which is unlike any other product anyone has seen,
will be in about 7 days.

It has two patents, and puts out over 300 degrees of soft glow, for likely the Best GI product ever made. It comes in all colors too!

We will have full pictures and info, and feel that this can solve many lighting issues that have needed solutions in the past.
This release, along with many new products is just around the corner......

Keep an eye out....its just beginning!

(Thank you HFK, BlondeTall, and Eric, for being Test Subjects!!!)

Art
www.cometpinball.com

#7 10 years ago

Thanks Art, can't wait to get my order in the mail today...want to try out the Optix you added to the shipment

#8 10 years ago

But the real question is: Do they fit in Gottlieb wedgehead light boards.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

But the real question is: Do they fit in Gottlieb wedgehead light boards.

Good Question. I dont know. They are standard bases and standard 26mm in height in 44/47.
They would likely be too bright for that application.

For older games, our new retros, would likely be best for Wedgeheads....A more subtle illumination

#10 10 years ago

What kind of heat do they put out? Any worries about melting any plastics?

#11 10 years ago

Another great question....Initially, no heat worries at all. but tomorrow, I will test one by leaving it on for 8 hours and reply back...havent done that yet. It is still an LED bulb, so I believe it will be fine.

Thanks for bringing up that question!

cometpinball.jpgcometpinball.jpg
#12 10 years ago

Cant wait to get some when they become available!

#13 10 years ago

Art is the man ! Buy with confidence !

#14 10 years ago

Thanks Kevin...I do try!

I have had the bulb on for 5 hours straight, with no heat of any kind to be concerned.

( I did test a bulb from Europe, same lens but a regular SMD...1/2 as bright at best, 120 degrees vs over 300, and some heat...standard LED/SMD...not to confuse)

I am insanely pleased it passed another test with flying colors.....having a bulb with 2 patents and never seen before, gets me quite excited!

ETA is Monday, with release a day or two later, with lots of pics!!

#15 10 years ago

I'm going to try my best to work on my pins tonight and take at least a pic of my bulb. I've just got to get my sick husband and needy dogs to cooperate and leave me alone.

#16 10 years ago

Apologies if I missed another post, but are these really no-flicker as well?

Because that would be swell.

#17 10 years ago

As soon as these are available ill be getting an order in to play around with them. Looking forward to it!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Apologies if I missed another post, but are these really no-flicker as well?

Because that would be swell.

We havent tested them yet to check against flickering. While not specifically engineered in its patent, not to flicker,
it is possible they may not.....That answer will come in a few days.

As we are marketing for GI...flickering shouldnt be present.

I'll follow up to this ASAP.

Art

#19 10 years ago

Damn - I thought these would be the perfect bulb... 300ish degrees of light; no ghosting; ac or dc operation.

#20 10 years ago

Here is the difference in a 4 LED flat superbright and the new bulb on my Sandman. Granted the flat is yellow and the new is white, but there is a big difference in intensity and spread. The OpMax did get warm to the touch after being in for a bit, but not as warm as regular incandescents. At least to my touch it didnt. I wouldnt be worried about heat around plastics.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-298.jpgimage-298.jpg
image-998.jpgimage-998.jpg

#21 10 years ago

Thanks for the pics, M....It does truly create an amazing amount of light!

Quoted from Zitt:

Damn - I thought these would be the perfect bulb... 300ish degrees of light; no ghosting; ac or dc operation.

Can you share with me where you felt you would need this amount of light in an insert or other to need non ghosting?

Ill have that answer for you tomorrow....

#22 10 years ago

i'd be curious how they perform in 8603 series ballys. Atlantis has problems sometimes with certain LED's.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'd be curious how they perform in 8603 series ballys. Atlantis has problems sometimes with certain LED's.

Id be happy to have you test this, Do No Flix, or our version, Ultimate Optix, work in this Bally series?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Can you share with me where you felt you would need this amount of light in an insert or other to need non ghosting?

Nothing specific comes to mine right now.
In DE Star Trek; some of the inserts aren't at right angles... instead parallel to the inserts. STNG may have similar.
Bally Star Trek is a barrel of fun too but that's because of the scrs in the game.

#25 10 years ago

You are correct, there is a need for a solution for your Star Trek. I dont believe this is the product.
In bulb products, your choices would be a non ghosting Flexible SMD, or an OPTIX, non ghosting, non flickering Flex head. Others may chime in with board or circuitry adaptions. My apologies that I dont have that exact info.

On the other question, The Op-Max bulbs are Not non-ghosting. We believe they are too bright for most inserts, as light leakage would light other nearby inserts.
For that reason, it is our intent, that its usage is best for GI purposes......

More to come....

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 10 years ago

How are these going to be comparable in price to $0.75 PBB/CT warm white frosted LEDs? I like those but really wish the color temperature was warmer. They are more like daylight color temperature, only very few actually look like a true incandescent color wise.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

On the other question, The Op-Max bulbs are Not non-ghosting. We believe they are too bright for most inserts, as light leakage would light other nearby inserts.
For that reason, it is our intent, that its usage is best for GI purposes......

I was asking if the Op-Max were non-flicker, which it seems like they are. There is no ghosting in GI, so I don't care about that.

#28 10 years ago

A cheaper option for GI without the non-ghosting stuff would be great too.

#29 10 years ago

While we also carry warm white frosted SMD at $.59-$.69, one can expect slight variations in the Kelvin scale of warm color, from factory to factory, production batch to production batch.
I do have a factory that produces "warmer" whites, if youd like to sample these differences, (I have a few in stock or can take pictures later) but in general I have found from all factories about a 5% variation in actual color under the definition of "warm"

We are using 6 factories at this time for our products....many are supplying the same US and EU vendors we all know.
For that reason, I am happy to support all our great LED Vendors here....the goal being simply a better looking Pinball.

As far as price goes, the Op-Max will be around $2.00, and less in bulk.
I believe it is well worth it for the price, as it puts out a light spread more then twice the distance, but dont believe I would recommend doing the whole GI in this bulb.
Ill be running pics next week to confirm or not this premise. I can see many games and features (TSSP Towers) benefiting from around 6-8 bulbs per game...but I may feel differently on install, So far, I have only tested 555, which limits my GI premise that I will have next week.

Art

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I was asking if the Op-Max were non-flicker, which it seems like they are. There is no ghosting in GI, so I don't care about that.

Other then my eyes, and watching a game, which can all be different, can you help me if there is a way to "Test" for flickering?

Quoted from Crash:

A cheaper option for GI without the non-ghosting stuff would be great too.

I am sorry that the circuitry needed makes this bulb a bit more expensive, (There is no non ghosting version of this bulb, it is currently not physically possible in the height of 26mm) and the patent holder believes they are entitled to a profit, so they cost me more. As my volume increases, I will be able to lower prices somewhat, and they will be less in 25 packs.

As with anything new, and especially patented, I respect your opinion that a "cheaper" cost should exist...(Hey, we all want new Sterns "cheaper", but better), but sometimes that only goal does not produce innovation.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Other then my eyes, and watching a game, which can all be different, can you help me if there is a way to "Test" for flickering?

Hell if I know, lol.

The logo you posted with the bulbs in it has a "No Flickering" logo, so I'm assuming that means they don't strobe and behave like the no-flix from overseas do, right?

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

we also carry warm white frosted SMD at $.59-$.69 [...] I do have a factory that produces "warmer" whites, if youd like to sample these differences...

Wow, PM sent.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Hell if I know, lol.

The logo you posted with the bulbs in it has a "No Flickering" logo, so I'm assuming that means they don't strobe and behave like the no-flix from overseas do, right?

I had to laugh too!!!, as my eyes are getting old, and when we have a group get together, someone would say..this LED is flickering or strobing, and others cant see it. So i watch the vids as well, and like the recent TZ post, its obvious, sometimes its not. But I am happy to help in any way to get feedback...we are all the "lab rats" for this bulb, and many other new products for pinball (glo-balls, superbands, etc.)

Yes, with the only confusing difference that overseas has Super-Flux and Super Flux plus. These are the "Plus version" The general Ultimate Optix Line, which will have singles, flexes, double flexes, and color changing, is manufactured by the same factory as a European Vendor distibutes. The US vendor is using a German Factory, with a higher price point and higher quality marketing. The Super Flux bulbs are an interesting new addition, and I am pleased to have negotiated a deal to distribute them here in the US, and save everyone some money. They should be available either tomorrow or Monday on the website, and their will be a formal introduction thread, along with a few surprises...including a neat sale for pinsiders....

Art

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I had to laugh too!!!, as my eyes are getting old, and when we have a group get together, someone would say..this LED is flickering or strobing, and others cant see it. So i watch the vids as well, and like the recent TZ post, its obvious, sometimes its not. But I am happy to help in any way to get feedback...we are all the "lab rats" for this bulb, and many other new products for pinball (glo-balls, superbands, etc.)

Yes, with the only confusing difference that overseas has Super-Flux and Super Flux plus. These are the "Plus version" The general Ultimate Optix Line, which will have singles, flexes, double flexes, and color changing, is manufactured by the same factory as a European Vendor distibutes. The US vendor is using a German Factory, with a higher price point and higher quality marketing. The Super Flux bulbs are an interesting new addition, and I am pleased to have negotiated a deal to distribute them here in the US, and save everyone some money. They should be available either tomorrow or Monday on the website, and their will be a formal introduction thread, along with a few surprises...including a neat sale for pinsiders....

Art

Cool! That was all I needed to know to convince me. I'll definitely be putting in an order when they are for sale!

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Yes, with the only confusing difference that overseas has Super-Flux and Super Flux plus. These are the "Plus version" The general Ultimate Optix Line, which will have singles, flexes, double flexes, and color changing, is manufactured by the same factory as (PINBALLCENTER) distibutes. (PDI) is using a German Factory, with a higher price point and higher quality marketing. The Super Flux bulbs are an interesting new addition, and I am pleased to have negotiated a deal to distribute them here in the US, and save everyone some money. They should be available either tomorrow or Monday on the website, and their will be a formal introduction thread, along with a few surprises...including a neat sale for pinsiders....

Jesus christ... I don't know why you're pussyfooting around this, but it sure is annoying! For anyone that's missing the obvious, what he's REALLY saying is edited in above...

They're the same as "NoFlix" and "Optiflux", just through a different supplier, and with a new lamp style to choose from. Frag.

#36 10 years ago

Sorry about that, I'm trying to find a way to be respectful to other Vendors

#37 10 years ago

Will these be available soon?

#38 10 years ago

There will be an open review and release in the next 2 days.....some great, some good, some so-so.
Additional GI solutions, with more choices will be covered to fit everyones tastes....

Thanks!

Art

#39 10 years ago

I keep checking the site but it says they were to be available 5 days ago, was this just for beta?

#40 10 years ago

Art is a really good guy, and honest at that, I have recently done a few machines with his stuff and it is impressive, and he is accomodating as well, very happy on this end, and looking forward to getting some of these to try in an array of different systems as I can think of at least 6-7 situations where it could solve a problem, or enhance lighting in a difficult area...

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

I keep checking the site but it says they were to be available 5 days ago, was this just for beta?

Sorry about that... I delayed shipment for a couple days, to accommodate its testing in the Tornado, and another project. This second round arrived just hours ago. Our guest tonight was Martin Ayub, from Pinball News, who dropped in for some fine Thai Food, Games,and a visit.I was grateful for his help to test this bulb
and several other new bulbs. His eyes are better then mine, and I trust his opinion.
I need to do a write up, add pictures, and add inventory to the site. It will happen in a few days.
Many good things for improving GI lighting! I am both very excited about what new choices we will have, and a little
disappointed, that I have one more bump to fix......In all, great news!

I appreciate your patience.....I kinda wear out after 16 hour days.....

#42 10 years ago

Thanks for the update! I have a couple areas on a few pins that I can't wait to try these on. I didn't know if these were only in beta, glad to hear they'll be for sale soon.

#43 10 years ago

I got one of these from Art to test. It is BRIGHT! It would be too bright for a lot of places. I'd like to see it in the back of an STTNG or DM or another game with many levels in a dark back corner where the GI gets lost.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I got one of these from Art to test. It is BRIGHT! It would be too bright for a lot of places. I'd like to see it in the back of an STTNG or DM or another game with many levels in a dark back corner where the GI gets lost.

Aw man, don't tell me that. No way I'm gonna tear down STTNG to get to a few bulbs lol.

#45 10 years ago

Guessing there are still no LED options for games with GI dimming like White Water and Shadow?

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Guessing there are still no LED options for games with GI dimming like White Water and Shadow?

Harold Toler (Herg) said he is (slowly) working on a proof of concept solution for GI. But it involves large heatsinks and will be hard to find space for in the backbox.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Aw man, don't tell me that. No way I'm gonna tear down STTNG to get to a few bulbs lol.

Change them out from the bottom by removing the socket...

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Harold Toler (Herg) said he is (slowly) working on a proof of concept solution for GI. But it involves large heatsinks and will be hard to find space for in the backbox.

Thanks Crash. That solution may be a bit extreme for me, but good to know it will be out there.

#49 10 years ago

Any update on these bulbs?

#50 10 years ago

Sure. Happy to update! Other then being exhausted from setting up the site for the Super Flux Bulbs....
(they are worth seeing! http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1837.htm)

The Op-Max bulbs arrived 2 days ago. We had the pleasure of unpacking and testing with Martin Ayub, editor of Pinball News. We did our testing on a Road show, with 4 other new bulbs, as I have been also trying to help solve the need for brighter GI bulbs and larger lighting throw lengths.

We had lots of good news, some small bad news, and some interesting results.
Even though I will be selling these, I truly want to share with you guys how I see this, objectively, and unbiased.
Having another set of eyes, like Martins', helps tremendously....and watching him play is freakin amazing!.

I am putting together the pictures, and all info so that all these new choices are given fair representation.
In short, not one of the four is a universal solution. We found reasons to chose sometimes a different one,
depending on the need...I guess I should have expected that.

Suffice to say this one bulb, Optix Maximus, (I just like to say that...makes me think I am watching Gladiator)
Does some incredible things in the right place.

One place worth sharing is in then coin door. Does it make the button look better? Hell No!
But on a Stern, you unclip the bulb, turn it around, and you can see the entire interior of the game, like a high end LED flashlight!! A great way to keep a handy flashlight in every game! The whole inside is lit from one Bulb!
You can spot a loose wire or issue fast!

Simpson Towers...phenomenal!!

There are a couple of bumps here to improve, but any and all of these, once I can organize it all, will be must haves
for the games you need them!

But the good news, is all the choices work well, cost the same, and are a huge improvement in Sling Shot, Rail, GI, and more....We only had time to try the lower playfield...so I will be at it tonight, and then on Dracula, TZ, etc....

Hang in there with me, I hope to finish in the next day and have all available.
I just really want to do it right, so any drama is avoided if possible.

We will be including them free with orders over $25 as a sample, to get feedback as well.

Just as a heads up, if you are reading this, a Flasher Sale will start on Friday for $.99.
I will be putting up a few thousand pieces, and with 5% being donated to pinside.

Somewhere in all of this I hope to play my WOZ, which will be working soon!

Art

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 16.00
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 174.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/optix-maximus-op-max-bulbs-are-amazing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.