Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PBGLASS.JPG
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'm starting a new pinball parts and mods business. I want to know if it would be worth my time to invest in Non-Glare Playfield Glass and sell it to all you pinheads for like half the price as everyone else? $150 a sheet. Would you guys be interested?

#2 9 years ago

Personally, I'm aware of the quality differences in non-glare glass. So, I'm all for a discounted offering, however, it depends how it stands up to the other products on the market. But I'd love to get an affordable non-glare glass for most of my pins.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinChili:

Personally, I'm aware of the quality differences in non-glare glass. So, I'm all for a discounted offering, however, it depends how it stands up to the other products on the market. But I'd love to get an affordable non-glare glass for most of my pins.

I have a friend that owns a glass manufacturing company and his anti-reflective glass gives you full visibility up to a viewing angle of 45° with no disturbing reflection. Its magnetron-coated surface reduces reflection to less than 0.5% so you can enjoy the full beauty of colors with no color shift. The coating offers high durability and abrasion resistance in accordance with ISO standards. This is the stuff used in museums.

#4 9 years ago

I'll buy a sheet to test and review for you once you get the details worked out.

#5 9 years ago

I'm game if it looks good. I love the non-glare stuff but not at the current price.

#6 9 years ago

Yep, I would be in for a few sheets too.

#7 9 years ago

I would be in for several sheets

#8 9 years ago

I would test aw well

#9 9 years ago

In short yes.
    $300 is just not in the cards for playfield glass for me.
    At that price, for two sheets of glass I can have bought a nice working EM or 80's pinball machine.
    Looking forward to whatever you can do.

#10 9 years ago

I'm interested. Will it be available in wide body as well?

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mafia_Pinball:

Hey everyone,
    I'm starting a new pinball parts and mods business. I want to know if it would be worth my time to invest in Non-Glare Playfield Glass and sell it to all you pinheads for like half the price as everyone else? $150 a sheet.

Bob/Phoog (Phoog/Bob?) already offers a product in that market gap between 'plain' tempered and PDI/Invisiglass: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bobs-ultimate-pinball-glass / pinballglass.com

Not sure spec-wise how it would match up to your friend's anti-glare glass, but might be worth checking before you jump in.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from dawasa:

I'm interested. Will it be available in wide body as well?

Yes it will. I have a TZ and I really want to get it on my machine. Because of minimum quantities wide body glass will be on the second run.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Bob/Phoog (Phoog/Bob?) already offers a product in that market gap between 'plain' tempered and PDI/Invisiglass: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bobs-ultimate-pinball-glass / pinballglass.com
    Not sure spec-wise how it would match up to your friend's anti-glare glass, but might be worth checking before you jump in.

Phoog's glass is very nice (I have 6 sheets). It's not super anti-glare through like PDI, it's just a nice step up from regular glass that doesn't cost 300 freakin' dollars. If there was a good anti-glare glass available for $150 I would switch from Phoog's glass to that without question. I'm in for a test sheet of standard or widebody.

#14 9 years ago

Yep I will be good for a couple! NWIH I am buying PDI for a couple of my games

#15 9 years ago

I would be interested in a standard sheet

#16 9 years ago

I'd be in for several but I'd want to know that it is on the same par as Invisiglass or PDI.

#17 9 years ago

I'm starting a new pinball parts and mods business. I want to know if it would be worth my time to invest in Non-Glare Playfield Glass

First of all I want to sincerely wish you well on your new business. Second I will apologize in advance for suggesting you do not invest in the glass and for what I'm about to say. I honestly mean you no disrespect and encourage you to go forward with your other products.

I have tested museum quality, anti glare glass before. It comes in a variety of names such as Starphire or Tru Vue or whatever. Phoog's glass was something similar but I stayed away from it. I've also noticed it didn't catch on.

Guys, do what I did. I went to the biggest glass operator in my local area. I told them what I was doing with a pinball machine and the problems of glare. I told them I wanted museum quality, anti glare glass, the best they could order and money was no object. They were very knowledgeable, knew exactly what I wanted and I ordered a sheet cut to pinball size.

I own PDI, Invisaglass, Starphire (Generic museum glare glass) and regular glass. I've done side by side comparisons and here's the breakdown.

1. PDI
    2. Invisaglass

**Not even close to the first two**

3. Generic museum glare glass
    4. Standard glass.

And between the $150 Generic museum glare glass and $30 standard glass I will get the standard glass every time. Its just not worth the money in my view.

Do it guys, save on shipping and do your own testing and see for yourself. The glass company will give you a price up front.

Again, I wish the OP much success in his new venture.

#18 9 years ago

Well, the question that hasn't been answered is if this glass will be equivalent to PDI/Invisaglass. If it is, then there is absolutely a market for it. There is almost a consensus that these brands of glass are a huge upgrade, it's just the cost that has kept many from investing in adding it to their machines.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I'd be in for several but I'd want to know that it is on the same par as Invisiglass or PDI.

IMHO I think PDI glass is much better at reducing reflection and Invisiglass shows colors truer. The glass we are looking into manufacturing reduces reflection the same as PDI but doesn't have any effect on color shifting. The idea we have is to deliver a better product at half the price with some kind of guarantee. The reason we are starting this business is because as pinheads ourselves we are tired of getting gouged! Most every pinball parts store out there charges insanely high prices, especially for glass and mods. Modifying your pinball machine is supposed to be fun, but when your wife or husband is screaming at you for dropping nearly $200 for a mod that only cost $10 to make is highway robbery!

#20 9 years ago

If it's bettet than PDI I will buy it. Look forward to reviews.

#21 9 years ago

The glass we are looking into manufacturing reduces reflection the same as PDI but doesn't have any effect on color shifting. The idea we have is to deliver a better product at half the price with some kind of guarantee.

I'll take one sheet, compare it with the other brands and will do an honest review.
    Please let me know how and when I can order. If it is as good as you say, I will buy a bunch.

What is the industry name of this glass so we can Google it?

#22 9 years ago

I'm in. At this price I can justify adding a couple sheets to some of my pins because quite honestly....I hate glare and it's just......there.

#23 9 years ago

If Mr68 gives it a stamp of approval I'm in.

#24 9 years ago

If it is what you say it is, I'm interested also and lots of machines here.
    Keep us posted

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

What is the industry name of this glass so we can Google it?

lol! there is some information I'm not willing to divulge. The only thing I will say is the glass is clear (not green) and tempered. Its funny, in my search for the product we ultimately decided on using, I talked with the companies that do PDI and Invisiglass. What I found is something totally different than DPI and Invisiglass. Different coating and different process. I will also be selling tempered clear non green glass for around $50 a sheet.

#26 9 years ago

It should be tempered as well as treated to produce a non-reflective surface on both both sides and be the same thickness as standard glass.

#27 9 years ago

I'd be interested. Very interested! About 4 sheets - 2 wide 2 standard

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from minnesota13:

It should be tempered as well as treated to produce a non-reflective surface on both both sides and be the same thickness as standard glass.

Tempered yes, coated on both sides no. double coating takes away from clarity and true color. The coating we are going to use reduces reflection the same amount as DPI with only one side coated. As far as the same thickness, it will be a little thicker but will fit fine. If the glass fits tighter it's better if you have a shaker motor in your machine because the glass doesn't rattle. last year when I installed DPI on my AC/DC the glass was very snug and completely eliminated rattle.

#29 9 years ago

The green color in glass is caused by the iron content, clear glass or glass with a slight blue color is a low iron glass. So you're good so far as I'm certain PDI and Invisaglass use that also.

You mention a "magnetron-coated surface" which is simply an application method.
    http://www.glassonweb.com/articles/article/232/

Again this is good depending on the coating. So OK, keep the coating a secret. I think you're entitled to that and it would be over my head anyway.

The only thing you've mentioned that worries me is that your glass is the same as they use in the museums.

This is the stuff used in museums.

Museums use a low iron glass with an anti-reflection and I have already tested museum glass with poor results. So I'm skeptical on this one.

OK, game on. I will buy a sheet including shipping and will do a review. Cause for another pinball party.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

The only thing you've mentioned that worries me is that your glass is the same as they use in the museums.

This is what I was told by the company that does the coating "Some museums in Europe are beginning to replace their old glass with this new coated glass. It is completely invisible at 90°" This isn't old museum glass, this coating is new technology.

#31 9 years ago

Works for me and I'll spend the money to test it. And at a buck fifty a sheet I'm hoping it is what you say it is. You'll get my support.

#32 9 years ago

If it's as good as you say I'm in too!

#33 9 years ago

I'd take about 7-8 if it's as good as PDI, not interested if it's on par with invisiglass

#34 9 years ago

Sounding promising. Hoping for the best on this project.
    Good luck guys.

#35 9 years ago

Depending on the results of the test I am in for 2 x widebody and 2 x standard.

#36 9 years ago

Tuned in.

#37 9 years ago

If it receives the Mr. 68 stamp of approval as an equal to PDI I would want 12 standard sheets.

#38 9 years ago

if it's as good as invisiglass I would definitely be interested in a few

#39 9 years ago

I'd be interested if the glass is comparable to other non-glare (coated) glass on the market. Any idea on when you will be doing an initial run of these?

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Any idea on when you will be doing an initial run of these?

I am waiting on a piece of sample glass right now. they sent me a 4"X4" piece 1/16" thick, and not tempered. I told them I need a full tempered sheet for a sample so I can put it through an array of tests. They told me when they get a window of time, they will do one sheet. I'm hoping to start production in the next few months. I have the business name (Mafia Pinball) A business license, a state sales tax id number, and a web domain name (www.mafiapinball.com). believe me, I'm ready!

#41 9 years ago

If you can cut me a sheet for my HH im definitely in for that and some more.

#42 9 years ago

I would be in for 5 sheets of standard and one sheet of wide if the pricepoint stays the same and it is comparible to PDI. Hopefully this will happen as the $300 a sheet thing is BS

#43 9 years ago

I'd be interested as well (if you ship to Canada)

#44 9 years ago

I'm in for several sheets if the reviews are good by Mr68.

#45 9 years ago

I'm in as well as long as the reviews line up

#46 9 years ago

How soon can you get Mr 68 the glass. I am close to ordering a bunch of pdi. Obviously interested depending on timing.

#47 9 years ago

Another glass on the market is Schott glass - it is to be used only in VERTICAL applications - as stated by the manufacturer. I don't see the use in a pinball machine as a vertical application. Why they say that - ask Schott.

Our glass is rated for horizontal and vertical applications. We do have sales - at times - buy one get one half price, etc.

It took a year to develop and the vendors as there are several have NDA's on what we do differently in making the glass.

To the people who bought INVISIGLASS (TM) - Thank You - they know what it is and appreciate it as well as those who receive it free on their games which include it.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from JerseyJack:

To the people who bought INVISIGLASS (TM) - Thank You - they know what it is and appreciate it as well as those who receive it free on their games which include it.

I had to buy some, you gave me Twinkies

1 week later
    #49 9 years ago
    Quoted from JerseyJack:

Another glass on the market is Schott glass - it is to be used only in VERTICAL applications - as stated by the manufacturer. I don't see the use in a pinball machine as a vertical application. Why they say that - ask Schott.
    Our glass is rated for horizontal and vertical applications. We do have sales - at times - buy one get one half price, etc.
    It took a year to develop and the vendors as there are several have NDA's on what we do differently in making the glass.

It did come on my WOZ but I'm pretty sure it wasn't free

#50 9 years ago

FYI: Single side coated glass will have a reflective rate somewhere >2%.
    Please consider also that there is light refraction and distortion from the other (not coated) side.
    Glass for museums needs different specs than for pinball where the glass is elevated.
    If your friend can disable physical laws he's a genius.
    Good Luck with your venture and please let me know if I'm wrong.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/non-glare-playfield-glass-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.