5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from jstree:

Hi there!
    I bought a Project counter force, and have run into a strange set of behaviors:
    things i have done:
    new rottendog power supply grounded to speaker
    docent harness from power supply to CPU
    Repinned Connectors from CPU to DRIVER BOARD
    All fuses checked, all coil resistances measured OK
    Had bad Q relay coil, replaced with new coil.
    new Niwumpf System 80 Board
    the problem:
    The unit powers on just fine and goes into attract mode
    can cycle all coils ( Coin door stuff disconnected tho) and all lights and switches thru niwumpf. Each switch test fine, etc no noticable problems.
    Start a game and the soundboard plays the first couple sounds.
    The first time the ball touches a switch ( yes, ANY switch!!) the LED on the Niwumpf board flashes 3 times, locks up and displays a couple very bright random characters on the displays.
    confused, as the switches test fine. if it was a short/accidental contact on the switch matrix , it would be only when one switch trips.
    Im stumped with a hypothesis that fits the facts. sound board? ( why would sounds work in test but freak out CPU during game?) harness connector? (theres no common wire between all). Some kind of loss of 5V power? ( the main capacitor has been replaced on the bottom board but i think thats 12vdc anyway?)
    Im stumped... any ideas?

Mine does the same thing and I'm currently working with Ace on the problem. Additionally, my Niwumpf had a strange flickering issue with the lamps in attract so he sent me a replacement board hoping it would fix both problems.

The new board corrected the lamp issue, but I still get the lockup at game start with one bright character in two displays. Unfortunately, he no longer has a Counterforce to test with, but I'm happy to do whatever testing is needed as he updates code.

An original Gottlieb MPU with a Flipp sound board works perfectly in my game, so I doubt you have any other issues with your machine.

#5 5 years ago

All I know is mine locks up at the start of the game.

From the videos I sent you (I can post them here if you want), you can see that the game start sequence is different from the original MPU. The startup sound is slower tempo and the drop target bank resets slowly and drops every other target (they should all be standing.)

I don't need to hit a switch on mine to lock up the game, but that may be because some of the targets are dropped.

#8 5 years ago

I have a new cap on the transformer board. Ace has identified a bug in the software and sent me a patch. I'll try to test it today.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mysterious-gottlieb-system-80-counterforce-cpu-reset?tu=dothedoo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.