New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 228530)

mysterious Gottlieb System 80 Counterforce CPU reset

By jstree

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hi there!
    I bought a Project counter force, and have run into a strange set of behaviors:
    things i have done:
    new rottendog power supply grounded to speaker
    docent harness from power supply to CPU
    Repinned Connectors from CPU to DRIVER BOARD
    All fuses checked, all coil resistances measured OK
    Had bad Q relay coil, replaced with new coil.
    new Niwumpf System 80 Board

the problem:
    The unit powers on just fine and goes into attract mode
    can cycle all coils ( Coin door stuff disconnected tho) and all lights and switches thru niwumpf. Each switch test fine, etc no noticable problems.
    Start a game and the soundboard plays the first couple sounds.

The first time the ball touches a switch ( yes, ANY switch!!) the LED on the Niwumpf board flashes 3 times, locks up and displays a couple very bright random characters on the displays.

confused, as the switches test fine. if it was a short/accidental contact on the switch matrix , it would be only when one switch trips.

Im stumped with a hypothesis that fits the facts. sound board? ( why would sounds work in test but freak out CPU during game?) harness connector? (theres no common wire between all). Some kind of loss of 5V power? ( the main capacitor has been replaced on the bottom board but i think thats 12vdc anyway?)

Im stumped... any ideas?

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from jstree:

Hi there!
    I bought a Project counter force, and have run into a strange set of behaviors:
    things i have done:
    new rottendog power supply grounded to speaker
    docent harness from power supply to CPU
    Repinned Connectors from CPU to DRIVER BOARD
    All fuses checked, all coil resistances measured OK
    Had bad Q relay coil, replaced with new coil.
    new Niwumpf System 80 Board
    the problem:
    The unit powers on just fine and goes into attract mode
    can cycle all coils ( Coin door stuff disconnected tho) and all lights and switches thru niwumpf. Each switch test fine, etc no noticable problems.
    Start a game and the soundboard plays the first couple sounds.
    The first time the ball touches a switch ( yes, ANY switch!!) the LED on the Niwumpf board flashes 3 times, locks up and displays a couple very bright random characters on the displays.
    confused, as the switches test fine. if it was a short/accidental contact on the switch matrix , it would be only when one switch trips.
    Im stumped with a hypothesis that fits the facts. sound board? ( why would sounds work in test but freak out CPU during game?) harness connector? (theres no common wire between all). Some kind of loss of 5V power? ( the main capacitor has been replaced on the bottom board but i think thats 12vdc anyway?)
    Im stumped... any ideas?

Mine does the same thing and I'm currently working with Ace on the problem. Additionally, my Niwumpf had a strange flickering issue with the lamps in attract so he sent me a replacement board hoping it would fix both problems.

The new board corrected the lamp issue, but I still get the lockup at game start with one bright character in two displays. Unfortunately, he no longer has a Counterforce to test with, but I'm happy to do whatever testing is needed as he updates code.

An original Gottlieb MPU with a Flipp sound board works perfectly in my game, so I doubt you have any other issues with your machine.

#3 1 year ago

That’s so wierd!

I guess some of the lights flash quickly , almost too quickly... but they only flicker once. The test menus and everything else work perfectly!
    I almost wonder if the drop bank coil logic is reversed or something along those lines.. the cpu is expecting switches to be open when it activates the drop target coils instead of closed...so odd. I guess we will see what happens in the next couple weeks

#4 1 year ago

Gentlemen,

I am back from time off, and have the chance in the coming days to see if I can figure this out. Let me understand what the consensus is. On game start up, the banks reset, the ball launches into the shooter lane, we get sound, but as soon as a switch is registered - the CPU crashes - is that a similar experience for both of you?

-Ace

#5 1 year ago

All I know is mine locks up at the start of the game.

From the videos I sent you (I can post them here if you want), you can see that the game start sequence is different from the original MPU. The startup sound is slower tempo and the drop target bank resets slowly and drops every other target (they should all be standing.)

I don't need to hit a switch on mine to lock up the game, but that may be because some of the targets are dropped.

#6 1 year ago

I have had that happen on a Stern Split Second because of a weak C-23 on the solenoid driver board. Try a 35V - 15000uf.

#7 1 year ago

Sorry, I have this post mixed up with a Bally post of the same problem. I don't know if changing out the filter cap on the bottom board would help this or not. Same 35V - 15000uf cap for the Gottlieb game.

#8 1 year ago

I have a new cap on the transformer board. Ace has identified a bug in the software and sent me a patch. I'll try to test it today.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet Parts
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 25.00
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 999.00
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    SilverBall Designs
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 3.00
    Cabinet Parts
    BK Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 3.70
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside