• MMR LE 64 votes
    46%
  • Hobbit LE 76 votes
    54%

(140 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Just wondering where the preferences fall between those two games, from those of you who know both. I can only have one or the other.

#2 7 years ago

Play them both if you can and you decide.

Both are amazing games.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Play them both if you can and you decide.
Both are amazing games.

I would love to, but there aren't any locally that I know of. Closest one is two hours away.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

but there aren't any locally

Where are you ? Maybe some local Pinsiders might invite you if there are none on location near you ?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Where are you ? Maybe some local Pinsiders might invite you if there are none on location near you ?

Eugene, OR

#6 7 years ago

Hard to say. I own MMr. But I have played hobbit a bunch and it's fantastic.

It really depends on what you like playing best.

I would take MMr over the hobbit. Just because of the nostalgia factor for myself. But if they never made MMr and I only had the choice to buy an original used one. I would have bought the hobbit.

My friend down the street is waiting on his to arrive. So when it shows up at least I'll get to play it more often.

#7 7 years ago

If you've never owned a MM, get the MMr first. It's a great game until you have thousands of plays on it and it gets old [like most do].
Then sell it and buy a Hobbit. By that time, code will be mature and most likely finished on TH.

#8 7 years ago

Get both.

#9 7 years ago

TH or MM hmmm I own both. I would say before you make a decision on where to put your hard earned cash, you need to play Hobbit in an exclusive environment. (Some place quiet with no distraction) That's so you can experience all that a TH has to offer. Then make your decision. TH is a very intricate fast playing game with a lot going on. My prediction: you will go for The Hobbit. But I could be wrong.... P.s. Get the RadCals!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

if they never made MMr and I only had the choice to buy an original used one. I would have bought the hobbit.

I agree 100% with this,I have MMR and it propably will never leave me...but dollar for dollar I think TH is amazing and will own it someday. I vote TH.
Mike

#11 7 years ago

You don't have to play them both.

You don't have to play either.

MM is a far better game.

Attack from mars is the one to buy though, really. And there's a remake due any decade now.

#12 7 years ago

I think MMR is really cool but I just can't see paying $8k for one while you can get a Hobbit LE with incredible powder coated armor (MMR powder coat is average to poor sadly), 100% color changing inserts , two LCD displays (27" main LCD + mini LCD book toy), invisiglass, shaker motor and a far deeper / more unique ruleset for about the same price.

The Hobbit LE / SE offers the most value in pinball at the $8k-$9k price point...easily.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think MMR is really cool but I just can't see paying $8k for one while you can get a Hobbit LE with incredible powder coated armor (MMR powder coat is average to poor sadly), 100% color changing inserts , two LCD displays (27" main LCD + mini LCD book toy), invisiglass, shaker motor and a far deeper / more unique ruleset for about the same price.
The Hobbit LE / SE offers the most value in pinball at the $8k-$9k price point...easily.

None of those make it a better game. TH is a new pin that has not stood the test of time and is mostly getting pumped by owners. I found it to be a big step down from WOZ, with nice art and a boring layout. Lots of owners are already selling. MM by a mile. It's the best ever.

#14 7 years ago

I have actually sold my black MMr for a Hobbit SE that was available. No regrets at all. I want playing MMr that often in my line up after a month. I play TH all the time and every update makes it a new and better game every month or so.

--Kevin

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

test of time and is mostly getting pumped by owners. I found it to be a big step down from WOZ, with nice art and a boring layout. Lots of owners are already selling. MM by a mile. It's the best ever.

I have yet to hear that a TH OWNER has claimed they made a mistake by purchasing the machine and sold it.

#16 7 years ago

So, I can honestly say I've gotten both of these NIB in the last 6 months. I was perusing through new Pinside threads and immediately saw the poll and made a quick objective vote. I voted The Hobbit LE. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my MMR. But, when I pick between the two my mind starts wondering to the playfield, the objectives, and the overall fun I have playing THLE. Nothing against MMR and I doubt MMR will go anywhere since it has been my "grail game" for years. However, I just feel like The Hobbit is an immersive game that keeps you coming back for more.

I'll compare it to the NFL and baseball. Many young people think baseball is boring but when they get older they start to appreciate the game more because they understand the nuances of the game and the strategy. Not saying there isn't strategy in MMR of the NFL, however it's a different kind. The Hobbit makes you think but not in a way where it's laborious to play the game. There is just something magical about the game and it would be hard to let it go from my collection. Anyway, that's my short take on the game.

#17 7 years ago

I really wish I could have purchased both!!

#18 7 years ago

I own an original MM and a Hobbit. MMR all day, every day, any day. It's not even close. MM is timeless, classic, and eminently replayable. Hobbit is decent, and gets better with each update, but it still has a relatively limited shot selection that they have to shoehorn the code into.

#19 7 years ago

I own a mmr and I find that after stacking everything for the first multiball, I get bored.

#20 7 years ago

I had over 100 games on MM, passed on both MM and MMR, 35 games on THSE , without question , it's better.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I agree with this totally. I love both games but for the money, TH is a better game. Also, I have owned MM. It was king for a long time but the king has been dethroned.

#22 7 years ago

Are people really saying TH is better than MM? MM is ranked #1 of all time.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from SeanOleary:

Hi Kaneda

#24 7 years ago

MMR

#25 7 years ago

I've owned MM and currently have Smaug LE. I love both, but MM did get kinda old (as most pins do in a smaller collection) IF JJP gives Hobbit the same software updates it did Woz, I honestly think TH will end up as good or better than MM.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from SeanOleary:

To me it was ranked #1 for a long while. Not just TH but I also think MB and AFM are better. That's just me.

#27 7 years ago

Pick the one you like more. There is no better. Only personal preference.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from SeanOleary:

Wait Isn't GB the #1 pinball according to the top 100 list... or at least it has been for a week or so.
Must have been on here before

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

LOL @ any $9,000 pinball machine offering "value."

At that ridiculous price point, nobody cares about value. If you pick Hobbit over MMR, you are getting a game that isn't as good for the same money. So I'd say less value there, regardless of whether or not it's got powder coating or an LCD.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Pick the one you like more. There is no better. Only personal preference.

Why do people always do this?

If the guy didn't want our opinions he wouldn't have solicited them. You aren't offering any value by telling him to play both and decide.

#31 7 years ago

Do you own a Hobbit? Hmmmm

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why do people always do this?
If the guy didn't want our opinions he wouldn't have solicited them. You aren't offering any value by telling him to play both and decide.

I've done this before, sometimes I forget not everyone can drive a couple miles and play most of the new machines whenever they want.

If I had to choose between the two, I guess I would take theme into consideration;

MM/MMr is a Medieval theme with some great callouts, but not to deep in ruleset. So you may get bored. I own a MMR, but most of the time my pins are played when people are over, and the simplicity of MM is why so many enjoy it. It doesn't take too much to figure out what to do. (again, may be a drawback for you)

I haven't played a Hobbit yet, I hope to soon. I loved the LOTR movies, but the Hobbit never really caught my interest. That plays big into my impression of a pin. If I didn't like the movie, why would I buy a pin based on the movie. I guess if you are looking for deep rules JJP is the way to go. The pin looks nice, and maybe I'll change my feelings after playing it. I have a RR WOZ and it is an amazing game (I originally bought it because my girlfriend liked to play it ) I'm not a huge fan of the movie but it is a classic. So maybe the same can be said of the hobbit!

#33 7 years ago

I don't own either of them but have played both extensively and would say that The Hobbit would be a better choice. but I have a lotr so I might be a bit biased ...I personally think MM is fun but slightly overrated imho

#34 7 years ago

I've always loved mm, but quickly get bored with it. We bought a hobbit after debating between these 2 and absolutely love hobbit. It is the better game. However personal preference will vary. Play both then decide.

#35 7 years ago

I really wanted an MMR - prepaid last spring, waited and waited. I ultimately canceled my order in June after seeing the inserts on the machines that were shipping and got a full refund. I was at ReplayFX over the weekend and a distributor had both a MMR and Hobbit set up in his booth. I played the Hobbit for the first time at the show, and kept getting back in line to play it again. Even though there was only one MMR and 3 Hobbits, the MMR didn't seem to get much attention. The MMR looks like an antique next to the Hobbit with its low res monochrome display and single color LEDs. For me the Hobbit stole the show, and I bought a Smaug edition and brought it home Monday. It actually cost me less than the MMR LE would have once shipping and the color upgrade are considered.

#36 7 years ago

I like playing both games. However, MMR feels like a 4K game while TH feels like a 6K game. So, while they're both priced for the "pinheads have money falling out of their asses" demographic, TH feels like it's priced at least (a little) closer to its worth and therefore gets the nod.

#37 7 years ago

I own a MMr and it's the favorite game in my collection. The Hobbit didn't play well for me initially, but the more games played, the more it grew on me. Although it's not as intricate as WOZ, the fun factor combined with the modern cpu based strategies make it a must have too.

The best solution is to get both. However, if you can afford only one, either one will be an excellent choice. I lean to the MMr by a small margin.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Eugene, OR

There's hobbit at Apex in portland

#39 7 years ago

find somewhere to play each one.
watch gameplay videos on youtube (not nearly the same experience).
read up on manufacturing & service/support quality or lack-of.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

There's hobbit at Apex in portland

Awesome! I will be there VERY soon. Thanks!

#41 7 years ago

Gameplay wise, MMr all day long. If they're the same price point though, Hobbit gets you way more for the money. Also there is a MMr on location here that never seems to be working correctly, so not sure if it speaks for the build quality or what.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

MM is timeless, classic, and eminently replayable.

Two out of three ain't bad.

Like most games, it is eminently boring after awhile.

#43 7 years ago

I've owned a MM and it is long gone. Great game but it got old. I have TH now, and as long as the code gets developed like WOZ did, it will stay a lot longer, maybe forever. I'd say TH for me.

#44 7 years ago

Th new code today is nuts. Get th and enjoy one of the best adventure games ever. The game is seriously intense with this new code.

#45 7 years ago

I played TH today at Apex in Portland. I liked it...a lot. But I do have a couple of questions.
What good is the third flipper? Does it actually serve a purpose?
Also, I had no idea what I was doing, but I did figure out a few things, skill shots, etc...
Is there an online tutorial or something that explains the strategy?

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

I played TH today at Apex in Portland. I liked it...a lot. But I do have a couple of questions.
What good is the third flipper? Does it actually serve a purpose?
Also, I had no idea what I was doing, but I did figure out a few things, skill shots, etc...
Is there an online tutorial or something that explains the strategy?

There's a cool diagram someone put together that describes the gameplay.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

There's a cool diagram someone put together that describes the gameplay.

Where?

#48 7 years ago

People will know my game title choice.
I will give a hint.
The original was made by Williams.

Feel free to play mine I have owned since 2005, and then make your purchase from whatever preferred source available.
You also have least 5 other local collectors here that have one, over 10+ locations to play one from Salem to Vancouver, WA. The closest is Salem (1 hour), versus two hours with Portland/Vancouver. The same cannot be said for the other game for many reasons.

If you change your mind, I can redirect to a local owner that is squatting on a NIB JJP LE game, never opened. It did not "dethrone" anything. I played it repeated since its release, and the code and game are still wonky, coupled with copied features from many games from Stern and BLY/WMS.

The said owner owns both, and is obviously selling that game, but not his Williams game just like most owners.

The only reason most sell a MM, is that either need the money for a new game, pay bills, buy an original game, or are getting out of the hobby entirely.

#49 7 years ago

With TH not totally fleshed out, she is challenging MMr down the backstretch, but MM is too much pin and pulls ahead for the win. The fact that it's as close of a personal decision, and that polling has TH slightly ahead, means TH must be pretty impressive. If I pull out my crystal ball, it would show TH as the Clear Winner. My rationale is that adding a major game mode, a wizard mode and some polishing, given Keith's record for coding, and it is fair to assume TH will continue to improve significantly. But for now TH is great at 1.3p. Time to play some pinball like a Hobbit.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I have yet to hear that a TH OWNER has claimed they made a mistake by purchasing the machine and sold it.

Um...me. I had it on preorder twice, fully paid. Every time I played it I got that sinking feeling in my stomach, and ultimately sold my interest for good. No regrets. Love my WOZ, and excited for JJP #3, but this one just wasn't for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 9.95
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-or-hobbit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.