(Topic ID: 117087)

LOTR trough troubleshooting / switch registers twice. Help?

By isJ

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Rickwh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isJ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Current problem: flip on power, auto plunger starts automatically if balls are in the trough (doesn't occur when balls are not in trough). One ball is kicked out and auto plunged.

If I hit start, two balls are kicked out of the trough, no auto plunge.

#3 9 years ago

My buddy is begging me to keep it this way. lol!

#4 9 years ago

What should I look at more specifically? Explain it to me like I'm five?

#5 9 years ago

Actually, when I just drop in four balls, it auto plunges 3x and leaves one in.

#6 9 years ago

Found a flaky switch, but damn, how do you get at that tiny recessed bolt?

#7 9 years ago

Second rollover switch is registering 4 times each time it closes / opens, swapped switch and diode, problem persists. What's next?

#9 9 years ago

Think it works! Had reseated all the connectors once, but second time is a charm, hopefully.

#10 9 years ago

Well, worked for a second and then I turned it off and back on to check if the error would came back: it did. What else can I look at here? I haven't really troubleshot a trough ever :\

#12 9 years ago

Thanks for the late night bump!

#13 9 years ago

Checked what I could - there were zip ties on the 12-pin connector, so they might have been an issue previously. I reseated everything: still the same results. I'll go grab that dielectric grease tomorrow and work that into the connectors. Thanks for all the help so far everybody!

#15 9 years ago

Applied a light Dielectric grease on the header pins, same error.
Reflowed all board connections, same error.

I let the auto-plunge run it's course and it says coil #2 error (auto-plunge), don't think it's ACTUALLY an error...

Going to poke around for a bit - have an idea? Please help me out!

#16 9 years ago

Revised the title, was buying some stuff for my ToM and I figured I might as well pick up some opto boards here.

It's just curious because it didn't happen before I had shopped the game, I didn't touch the trough other than cleaning it.

#19 9 years ago

Cleaned - issue still remains. Thanks for the help all

#20 9 years ago

Wiggled some stuff around with switch edge test and didn't see anything. Might just wait (im)patiently for the boards to arrive.

#22 9 years ago

Yup only four balls

#24 9 years ago

Yup - ordered them, I'll just have to wait. Sucks to put all the time into shopping the game and then it pukes :\ Oh well. I'll post after I replace - thanks for all the feedback, folks!

#26 9 years ago

Replaced boards, problem still persists w/ 2 balls kicked into play and drains don't register, auto plunge fires constantly when the game gets turned on (rawwr). Bumpage.

#27 9 years ago

Checking trough switches again, closing the first/third will register once in switch test.
Second switch registers 2x when I close and open. I will replace with yet another switch, but looking for other ideas on this one.

#28 9 years ago

Replaced switch (again), issue persists (surprise).

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Don't want to call out a tech, want to learn!

#32 9 years ago

I had been tracing this for a bit and got to Balrog, unplugged him and the trough switch registering 2x went away and only registers once as appropriate. Came back, looked at Pinside, looks like Balrog switch might be the problem. Will have to dig into Balrog... thanks for all the help everybody!

#33 9 years ago

Checked Balrog switch lugs: he is wired appropriately. Checked Balrog connector and pressed firmly on green/white wires in the connector - seems something is finicky in there, it is working for now.

I'm sure this error will come back and I'll have to check into those connectors and wires, but it looks like this issue is isolated to Balrog.

Really appreciate everyone's help on this - hopefully it helps someone in the future.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

€ 7.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isJ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-dumps-balls-into-play-on-start?tu=isJ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.