(Topic ID: 222576)

Finally have some pins on location....

By Coz

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should I open my own arcade?”

• Yes! Go for it! 63 votes
      69%
    • No! You’ll fail 28 votes
      31%

(91 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CA753B60-EC26-4C21-8724-B56022CD911E (resized).jpeg
    40951FA6-7936-4CB1-B4FC-1BB2F41794A6 (resized).jpeg
    4C1267AA-DCE5-4EB4-A4AD-BA5E04CC5254 (resized).jpeg
    BD8B34B8-08D8-4D62-B947-23B54EC02E32 (resized).jpeg
    cozcade01 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Any there other games or machines you’d recommend?

Might be good to try your hand at operating, find a location or two first and add some stuff. Try to build a rep and find a following that way first, before going all in.
    This would give you more time to find out what your demographic is, and what game types you'll need sustain your location.
    What might work in New York or Idaho might not work for you.

#92 5 years ago

I actually thought renting a small space in a mall might not be a bad idea, 500-1000 sqft maybe. Have no idea how much that would cost, but I can't imagine it would be as bad a full fledged venue... guess it depends on the mall and if something like that already exists. I'd get a few other games like a key master, some cranes maybe a coin pusher so your not just chasing one source of revenue. Might even have some overlap. People love easy to understand games where they have the potential to win a crappy mp3 player or some plush toys
    Seems like places come and go all the time in malls, maybe the leasing options are more flexible.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

A 1200sq ft spot at a busy local shopping center was about $1200 a month for rent and utilities. I think having limited hours at a smaller location could work???

Wow a dollar a sqft. not bad at all. You sure utilities aren't split btwn. the centers tenets (CAM)? or is that worked into the rent price? if so yeah that's a pretty descent deal.

If all you need is 1200, you should be able to make that pretty easily I'd think. You know your area better then I do though.
    If your looking at going the "freeplay" route, I'd be careful. free play games take probably X10's the abuse vs. pay per play. Personally I'd just set the games cheaper ranging from .25, .50 or .75 depending on ball times and value. I've found that most casual players don't really understand that 2-3 is almost .10 cents cheaper then .75. All they see is the $2 dollar sign, think it's phycological or something. Once you go free play it would be a lot harder to go back to pay per play then the other way around.

If you do wind up going the free play route, just be prepared to triple or quadruple your parts budget and your time down there fixing stuff. Sometimes free play is a good deal, some times it isn't. Personally I'd rather go to a pay per play place, I usually wind up spending the same amount or less for the same amount of time anyway and the machines are usually in better condition. I'm probably in the minority though, most casual players won't be able to hit replays enough to make the money last.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-at-opening-an-arcade?tu=hocuslocus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.