New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 222576)

Finally have some pins on location....

By Coz

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JohnnyPinball007
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should I open my own arcade?”

• Yes! Go for it! 62 votes
      69%
    • No! You’ll fail 28 votes
      31%

(90 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CA753B60-EC26-4C21-8724-B56022CD911E (resized).jpeg
    40951FA6-7936-4CB1-B4FC-1BB2F41794A6 (resized).jpeg
    4C1267AA-DCE5-4EB4-A4AD-BA5E04CC5254 (resized).jpeg
    BD8B34B8-08D8-4D62-B947-23B54EC02E32 (resized).jpeg
    cozcade01 (resized).jpg

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Great info! One place I’m looking at is in a shopping center. 1200sq ft for about $1000 plus utilities. Only requirement is agree to one year lease. I met with the building manager and they take care of the hvac unit. I will definitely ask lots of questions before anything is official.

That would be considered modified gross by what you’ve described. Be sure it’s in writing though! NNN leases are generally cheaper and appear to be more appealing. You don’t want to inherit a landlords headache though, so I’d avoid it if possible.

I’d also highly recommend having lease extension options in writing. You don’t want to have a great first year and end up having to look for a new space. My current lease is written as three years with two additional three year option (at a certain % increase).

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from BeaglePuss:

That would be considered modified gross by what you’ve described. Be sure it’s in writing though! NNN leases are generally cheaper and appear to be more appealing. You don’t want to inherit a landlords headache though, so I’d avoid it if possible.
    I’d also highly recommend having lease extension options in writing. You don’t want to have a great first year and end up having to look for a new space. My current lease is written as three years with two additional three year option (at a certain % increase).

Great info. Thanks for the input and advice

#103 2 years ago

I'm excited to hear how this progresses. Good luck

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I'm excited to hear how this progresses. Good luck

I need more pins!! Gonna have a few classic arcade games and also looking to add skeeball and driving games. I want to have a little bit of everything.

#105 2 years ago

I've operated pins for a few years now. It's not a big money-making operation, but it does turn a small profit.

Regarding that commercial lease, try to get at least fixed rent increases and the right to renew for a few years. Once you are operating and have customers who know where you are it becomes harder to move - and I've seen rent increases kill businesses all too often.

The more pins you have, the more parts you're going to need on hand. You don't want to wait a week waiting for a new $3 plunger (plus $8 shipping, ouch). The number of things you will want to keep on hand adds up fast, begins to take up a lot of space, and requires many storage bins/systems to manage it all.

Tools are a significant cost as well.

Also the more variety of pins you have, the more your parts inventory increases... Meaning Gottlieb, Stern, Bally/Williams... they all require different parts, and between eras of the same manufacturer they require different parts, too.

#106 2 years ago

Get a Gottlieb Super Mario Bros. It will be your highest earning pin! The normals go crazy for that game and it's cheap! Win/Win.

2 months later
    #107 1 year ago

Update: I’ve finally got a pin out on location. Super Mario Bros pinball is out and earning money! It’s a start and hopefully more to follow!

#108 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Update: I’ve finally got a pin out on location. Super Mario Bros pinball is out and earning money! It’s a start and hopefully more to follow!

That's awesome - keep us posted.

8 months later
    #109 1 year ago

I wasn’t able to open my own arcade, but I’ve got the next best thing- pins in a local brewery! If you’re ever in Danville, come check out Ballad Brewing in downtown! I’m gonna have 3 or 4 pins to start. I know a few pinsiders come to the area for VIR, so if you’re in town, message me.

1 week later
    #110 1 year ago

Star Wars, ghostbusters and Munsters out for everyone to enjoy

40951FA6-7936-4CB1-B4FC-1BB2F41794A6 (resized).jpeg4C1267AA-DCE5-4EB4-A4AD-BA5E04CC5254 (resized).jpegBD8B34B8-08D8-4D62-B947-23B54EC02E32 (resized).jpeg
    #111 1 year ago

Congrats....That's a large space for a brewery...most of ours are cramped.

#112 1 year ago

Is the bubble hockey yours? I'm curious to see how it does compared to the pinballs.

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Is the bubble hockey yours? I'm curious to see how it does compared to the pinballs.

The chexx is mine. Wanted to find some fun games that can be played with multiple people. I’d also like to find a commercial foosball table. So far earning equal to the pins.

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coz:

The chexx is mine. Wanted to find some fun games that can be played with multiple people. I’d also like to find a commercial foosball table. So far earning equal to the pins.

Go to the Winston Salem auction...they always have coin op foosball tables.

#115 1 year ago

Nice Coz - keep us posted on earnings as I love hearing about this type of thing

Best of luck buddy

#116 1 year ago

A puck bowler should do great in a location like that. Have extra pucks on hand if one walks away. Wax too.

#117 1 year ago

How is the Chexx earning? Always wanted to add on but my locations are mostly family pizza restaurants and a large train themed kids restaurant with attached 1600 sq foot arcade. Basically for me, if it doesn't spit tickets, it won't earn.

#118 1 year ago

Looks good Coz! Good luck!!

4 weeks later
    #119 1 year ago

Finally have Dollar bill acceptors on all the pins. They have been earning very well!

CA753B60-EC26-4C21-8724-B56022CD911E (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #121 1 year ago

Doesn't hurt to start small and work your way up.

#122 1 year ago

So what's leading the pack these days?

#123 1 year ago
    Quoted from delt31:

So what's leading the pack these days?

1- GB
    2- Star Wars
    3- Munsters
    4 - Chexx

#124 1 year ago

Just wondering, how much does insurance for each machine run, or are they covered under the locations policy?

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

are they covered under the locations policy?

Never depend on a location to insure you. Get your own.

LTG : )

#126 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Just wondering, how much does insurance for each machine run, or are they covered under the locations policy?

Quoted from LTG:

Never depend on a location to insure you. Get your own.
    LTG : )

Definitely will get something ASAP. No issues so far, but prepare for the worst

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Definitely will get something ASAP.

Please post about the costs and details after you get it sorted. I have a friend with extra room on their permit to route games, but I would never send anything out unless the machines were covered.

It just seems a "freshly routed game" sells for about the same as a "HUO 1st owner" anymore, so I am getting interested in putting games I never play anymore on location and maybe make some money, instead of selling and losing a ton.

Luckily I have never had to use insurance much, but I believe in it. I have a 2mil umbrella policy that covers most everything. But I know I would need separate policies for machines to be on route.

Last time I ever looked at business insurance for inventory they wanted 10% a year...hell no.

Quoted from Coz:

prepare for the worst

Quoted from Coz:

prepare for the worst

#128 1 year ago

For some reason the site froze and the last quote went 2 times.

All I wanted to add is always prepare for the worst, so when it does not happen, it was a good day. And if the worst does happen, all is ok anyway.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    Lighting - Interactive
    TheDudeMods
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 6,200.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet Parts
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 109.99
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 35.00
    Hardware
    Filament Printing
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Other
    Loop Combo Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside