(Topic ID: 308619)

Laguna Beach magic screen coil

By plumbertim1

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

antisplit (resized).jpg
    bingo_legs (resized).png
    LEG stats (resized).jpg
    Hy brid complete (resized).JPG
    IMG_0053 (resized).jpg
    gloss_mixers (resized).png
    IMG_0044 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0045 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0043 (resized).jpg
    int-laguna_beach-spotting_wipers2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0041 (resized).jpg
    reflex-laguna_beach-w-770b (resized).jpg
    IMG_0039 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0038 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0036 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0035 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider plumbertim1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I have a Bally Laguna beach magic screen feature unit issue. The step-up coil is overheating. The first one caught on fire and I replaced it and now it is getting very hot and smoking. It is a 25-GG-7 coil. Any ideas what is causing this?

IMG_0033 (resized).jpgIMG_0033 (resized).jpgIMG_0035 (resized).jpgIMG_0035 (resized).jpgIMG_0036 (resized).jpgIMG_0036 (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

Thanks for the info, but I'm a novice (at best). All I have is the Laguna Beach operating and parts catalog. Trying to find a schematic.
    In the mean time I can check the power to the coil for power, should I assume 50 volts is good or bad?
    Tim

#7 2 years ago

Thanks guys, this information helps a lot. I'll let you know how it shakes out.
    Tim

#9 2 years ago

Great information Baldtwit, now if I can find what you are talking about. Attached is the picture of what I have. Is that the right one? I did check the switch that BingoBeast suggested (5D), it was open.
    The guy that wrote that fix has to be a bingo savant-like dude!
    Learning this part of bingos is going to be a big curve, but so far I like it.

IMG_0038 (resized).jpgIMG_0038 (resized).jpg
    #12 2 years ago

The wires that were added was before my time. I did check for loose wires, so far its good. You are right, it is hard to see. I took it loose for the picture.
    How does it look?

IMG_0039 (resized).jpgIMG_0039 (resized).jpg

#14 2 years ago

Phil, I first manually reset the reflex unit. Now it looks like the diagram shows. After seeing the sharpie marks there is no telling what is wrong with it. I checked the wires for the coil and they are still showing 50v, should it be? Where should I go from here?

IMG_0041 (resized).jpgIMG_0041 (resized).jpg
    #17 2 years ago

I did find a wire off on the spotting disc (picture) I put it back and now the coil doesn't have continuous power. I tried playing the machine and everything works except it doesn't ring up games and OK doesn't work.
    I couldn't find the 45-6 wire on the diagram and schematic doesn't help me. I'm not good at this at all but I am trying.
    I attached pictures of the spotting disc and it looks like a mess at the top of the small board. Ideas?

IMG_0043 (resized).jpgIMG_0043 (resized).jpgIMG_0044 (resized).jpgIMG_0044 (resized).jpgIMG_0045 (resized).jpgIMG_0045 (resized).jpg
    #19 2 years ago

Currently there is no power on the step up coil on the MSFU (I'm not sure how this changed, all I did was reconnect the wire on the spotter that was loose) .
    I went through step one moving the wiper blades backwards. It went well with no hangups. I kept the meter on the coil. At one point the reset coil activated and there was just a blip of power on the setup coil. After that, everything seems ok.
    Step two, I can't find the 91-13 wire on the MSFU. My operating manual is a copy of a copy, plus these old eyes can't see well. I will keep looking and go through the other steps. The machine is here at my office and I have dedicated my whole day to find the problems.
    Everything is running good, screen and OK is moving good. The only issue is that it won't ring up games or run OK. Go figure.
    Thank you for your help, I am trying to learn as I go.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from baldtwit:

you never cycled/reset the game?

I have powered it off them back on. Is there a procedure to cycle/reset?

the reset coil on the MSFU? The only time the reset coil should power is when the playfield shutter slides open to dump the balls. The MSFU, score units and red letter unit all reset at the same time. If one coil powers, they all should.
    sounds like you have a short or partial short someplace.

When I was turning the spotting disc it happened once but not since.

grab this:
    https://bingo.cdyn.com/machines/bally/laguna_beach/resources/manual-laguna_beach.pdf
    you can zoom in on the pages.
    91-13 is on the top lugs. It's the 9th one away from the back door wood.

I was looking at the wrong page. I found it. It does have power 70 to 91-13.

after you shoot the 4th ball, the before 4th selector lock trip relay should trip. That will enable the R button. Push the R button and the search wipers release and scan for a win.
    are you getting that far?

Everything started working except it wouldn't ring up games (it would make the sound its suppose tobut no games would click up).

Today I was thinking about the spotter disc and it seemed to be out of line. I put it where the drawing shows. Now the game works, everything. I have been playing for over an hour and no issues, no hot coils. The only other thing I did was clean the contacts and put grease on all the disc. (you cant tell there is grease on them, I put a very small amount like you said)

I did check the pulse cams, took a bit of videoing to see but they are doing just what they should be.

Think there are gremlins in my machine? They are laying low now I guess.
    Tim

#24 2 years ago

I wasnt sure why I moved the spotter to the position in the manual. Figured it couldn't hurt. I had been staring at everything and just noticed they weren't where the book said. The fingers were on the rivits. I lubed them and every wiper I could get to. Must have hit the magic connection somewhere.
    Since it started working I have played a lot. Hopefully I can get it moved to its forever home soon without having any more problems. Still some touch-up painting and changing some bulbs.
    Thank you for your help Phil and Beast! I still have a lot to learn but y'all have taught this rookie a lot.
    Next project is a King Kool unless I can find another bingo. I like the bingos
    Tim

IMG_0053 (resized).jpgIMG_0053 (resized).jpg
    #26 2 years ago

The wood legs do look good, I may try to find some when I get ready to bring it home.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from baldtwit:

if you go with wood, make sure the horizontal reinforcement bolts are in the tops to help prevent splitting.
    they even reinforced the metal legs with additional material welded inside each leg. It's marginally inconvenient to grab the front of the game and pull to slide it away from the wall and have the legs collapse due to the weight of the head

The back legs have the reinforcements, without it it wouldn't hold very well. The old machines are very heavy.
    Can you buy the wooden legs or would you have to make them?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider plumbertim1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laguna-beach-magic-screen-coil?tu=plumbertim1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.